• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd. Box Office May 16–18, '08 - "Prince Caspian" slays "Iron" giant

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

2virsxy.jpg
sw7lme.jpg
2wmmkcl.jpg
14xnt6b.jpg
jb0bkn.jpg

rotten watch box office:
2s13t02.gif
71% The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
23jsas.gif
93% Iron Man
1268vsw.jpg
29% What Happens in Vegas
2yw8keh.gif
35% Speed Racer
123o1kw.gif
60% Baby Mama

metacritic box office:

*click pic(s) for source(s)*

'Prince' wears box office crown. 'Narnia' wins weekend with strong start

Walt Disney sequel “Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian” easily won the weekend box office in grossing an estimated $56.6 million from 3,929 theaters in a strong, but not spectacular, start.

The adventure-fantasy, reteaming Andrew Adamson with the cast of the first film, wasn’t able to match the $65.5 million opening of “Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.”

Family films can start out slow, but have playability. “Caspian,” which drew an A CinemaScore, hopes for just that, even with Steven Spielberg’s PG-13 “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” opening on May 22. (“Indiana Jones” preemed at the Cannes Film Fest on Sunday.)

In its second weekend, Warner Bros.’ “Speed Racer” didn’t seem to fall in that category of family pics showing muscle. Film, a disappointment, declined a steep 59% in its second frame to an estimated $7.6 million from 3,606 runs for a cume of $29.8 million in its first 10 days, according to Rentrak.

There is no doubt that “Prince Caspian” came in slightly below industry expectations, which had the sequel opening at least as high as the first. Overall, the weekend was down a hefty 27% from the same weekend last year when “Shrek the Third” led with a $121.6 million bow.

There are several differences between the two “Narnia” films: The first opened closer to Christmas in early December 2005, and was based on the most well-known book in C.S. Lewis’ acclaimed children’s book series. “Prince Caspian,” promoted for having more action, skewed slightly older.

Other franchises have seen sequels post a lower opening number than the original, including “Spider-Man” and “Harry Potter.”

Par’s “Iron Man” continued to impress, becoming the first film of 2008 to leap the $200 million mark at the domestic box office and coming in No. 2 for the frame. Film declined 39% in its third frame to an estimated $31.2 million from 4,154 runs for a cume of $222.5 million.

20th Century Fox’s Cameron Diaz-Ashton Kutcher “What Happens in Vegas” is proving a surprise sleeper, declining just 31% in its second frame to come in No. 3 for the weekend. Comedy grossed an estimated $13.8 million from 3,255 runs for a cume of $40.3 million.

On the specialty side, Overture’s “The Visitor” made the top 10 list for the first time, grossing an estimated $687,000 from 224 runs for a cume of $3.4 million in its sixth frame.

*click pic for full list/source*

i wonder if Narnia 2 would have opened bigger if it had better promotion? Seriously, I personally had no idea it was opening this weekend. WTF?

FoneBone

xaosslug said:
i wonder if Narnia 2 would have opened bigger if it had better promotion? Seriously, I personally had no idea it was opening this weekend. WTF?
There's not a rolleyes big enough. Leave the commentary to someone who knows what he's talking about.

batbeg

Holy shit at Speed Racer. I guess studios are going to be more careful about throwing money out because the makers of The Matrix are behind it.

EktorPR said:
Speed Racer :(

May the motherfuckers that enjoy its failings at the box office burn in hell.

Agreed, perhaps without the vitriol. but it isweird seeing self-congratulating people diss this movie so much, like it was a personal affront.

traveler

Not Wario
FoneBone said:
There's not a rolleyes big enough. Leave the commentary to someone who knows what he's talking about.

What? I felt the exact same way and I definitely remember seeing lots of promotion for the first.

I'm grateful that Speed Racer exists, no matter how it does from here on in.

There'll likely not be anything like it again, but it should end up being a cult classic.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ignatz Mouse said:
Agreed, perhaps without the vitriol. but it isweird seeing self-congratulating people diss this movie so much, like it was a personal affront.
People are afraid of things that are different. A movie that actually experiments and embraces creativity inspires hatred, while LOTR-lite soars at the box office and a refined but unspectacular and familiar superhero movie gets accolades. Meanwhile, the trailer for The Love Guru: Austin Powers Redux receives big laughter from audiences. That's how it goes.

I fear for Spike Jonze and Where the Wild Things Are.

Speaking as someone who doesn't pay much attention to the movie scene at all, is there something special about Speed Racer I should know about?

Amir0x

Banned
Well I didn't see Caspain, but it does my heart good to continue to see the crumbling Wachowski disaster epic Speed Racer fail.

Iron Man continues to impress.

Dan

FoneBone said:
no need to worry, the rumors about massive reshoots are all lies, because they showed up on AICN at some point!
I'm not referencing that, nor would I believe it until reported by someone with legitimacy.

Whether it turns out good or bad, I think we can bet that it won't be typical or familiar. I fear for the American populace's reaction to the movie, period.

Seth C

Pureauthor said:
Speaking as someone who doesn't pay much attention to the movie scene at all, is there something special about Speed Racer I should know about?

Yeah. It is fuck awful.

EktorPR

Pureauthor said:

Let's just say it's the most fun I've had at the movies this year so far. The fact that the thing features the most impressive climax scene I've seen in a while helps, too.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Iron man should've stayed 1st !

What happens in Vegas was fun by the way. Went to see it with my GF and a couple of friends. good times

Amir0x

Banned
Why can't you guys just understand the vibrant CREATIVITY and pure FUN of Speed Racer?

Yes, that's right, FUN! Which you glowering elitists should start getting familiar with! You self-hating New Yorker reading snobs can't even sit down and appreciate brainless popcorn flicks without the pesky shadow of actual thought looming large on your experience.

Did you even see the climax? Did you see all that fucking CG? That was a lot of goddamn CG. So much color and explosive FUN... and CG! I can just sit back and have fun, but you guys? You've gone so long with expecting movies NOT to suck that you can't even appreciate those that do suck. Even if that did make sense, you're still elitists!

pxleyes

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
Is that any different than those that are willing to defend it with the same reckless abandon?

EktorPR

Amir0x said:
Why can't you guys just understand the vibrant CREATIVITY and pure FUN of Speed Racer?

Yes, that's right, FUN! Which you glowering elitists should start getting familiar with! You self-hating New Yorker reading snobs can't even sit down and appreciate brainless popcorn flicks without the pesky shadow of actual thought looming large on your experience.

Did you even see the climax? Did you see all that fucking CG? That was a lot of goddamn CG. So much color and explosive FUN... and CG! I can just sit back and have fun, but you guys? You've gone so long with expecting movies NOT to suck that you can't even appreciate those that do suck. Even if that did make sense, you're still elitists!

No shades of grey. At all.

Splatt

Amir0x said:

:lol :lol :lol

Dan

Amir0x said:

I'm really not sure "New Yorker reading snobs" would like Iron Man and its confused moral and political agendas.

ZeoVGM

Banned
EktorPR said:
And the Iron Man suck-a-thon continues...

Uh, what? The movie is doing great.

Wait, do you mean.. the quality?

Oh, goodness me, I got confused for a moment.

You're actually a Speed Racer fan that needs to shit on an amazingly reviewed, much enjoyed, hugely successful movie because you're bitter.

My apologies.

Dan

Pureauthor said:
Oh, pish-tosh. Deep inside, everyone likes cyborgs and laser-beams.
Iron Man doesn't have laser-beams and Tony Stark is only a cyborg in any traditional sense because of that electromagnet in his chest.

harSon

Banned
Amir0x said:

I'll respect the people that came away dissatisfied after watching the entire film. You on the other hand? You claim to have left an hour or so into the movie, I'd personally find it difficult to give a fair assessment based on an hour or so of a 2 hour and 15 minute movie.

WrikaWrek

Banned
harSon said:
I'll respect the people that came away dissatisfied after watching the entire film. You on the other hand? You claim to have left an hour or so into the movie, I'd personally find it difficult to give a fair assessment based on an hour or so of a 2 hour and 15 minute movie.

If half of the movie, he considered to be crap, why should he suffer more? :lol

Dan said:
Iron Man doesn't have laser-beams and Tony Stark is only a cyborg in any traditional sense because of that electromagnet in his chest.

The repulsor... thingies he keeps in his palms. I'm not good with the tech stuff, okay.

Amir0x

Banned
harSon said:

No doubt, I fucking walked out of the movie. I wasted a fucking hour, uncomfortable in my seat at the horrific movie unfolding before me! I was shifting in my seat, as line after line of dick cheese was read by the actors. You think I was going to sit there and see if the torture improved?

That's real smart. Like letting someone slam on your balls for an hour of excrutiating pain, and then after that hour wondering if you allowed it to continue for an hour more maybe you'd feel ecstasy instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom