• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd. Box Office May 16–18, '08 - "Prince Caspian" slays "Iron" giant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebs

Next week's will be interesting to see. Apparently Jones is tracking to do 150-175 mil' for the long memorial day weekend.

At worst it will be 2008's first movie to make more than 100 million it's opening weekend (Iron Man missed the mark barely)

WrikaWrek

Banned
Cheebs said:
Next week's will be interesting to see. Apparently Jones is tracking to do 150-175 mil' for the long memorial day weekend.

No way. That would be more than Spiderman 2 and shit right?

Not happening. Indiana Jones doesn't have that appeal i believe.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Amir0x said:
No doubt, I fucking walked out of the movie. I wasted a fucking hour, uncomfortable in my seat at the horrific movie unfolding before me! I was shifting in my seat, as line after line of dick cheese was read by the actors. You think I was going to sit there and see if the torture improved?

That's real smart. Like letting someone slam on your balls for an hour of excrutiating pain, and then after that hour wondering if you allowed it to continue for an hour more maybe you'd feel ecstasy instead.
I guess that means the people that stay after the first 15 minutes of Juno are masochists.

harSon

Banned
Amir0x said:
No doubt, I fucking walked out of the movie. I wasted a fucking hour, uncomfortable in my seat at the horrific movie unfolding before me! I was shifting in my seat, as line after line of dick cheese was read by the actors. You think I was going to sit there and see if the torture improved?

That's real smart. Like letting someone slam on your balls for an hour of excrutiating pain, and then after that hour wondering if you allowed it to continue for an hour more maybe you'd feel ecstasy instead.

You were certainly entitled to do so but shoving an opinion down people's throats when you've seen less then half of the film? Debatable.

Blader

WrikaWrek said:

Spider-Man 2 made about $88 million on its opening weekend.

Cheebs

WrikaWrek said:

Memorial Weekend is 4 days, not the traditional 3. And it likely would include thrusday numbers.

I suspect the WORST Indy could do domestically is about 350 million and probably at best 425 million. It will probably be doing numbers similar to Pirates 2.

harSon said:
You were certainly entitled to do so but shoving an opinion down people's throats when you've seen less then half of the film? Debatable.

Well, are you claiming the second half was a lot better than the first? Because even if the point where he walked out was where the film started to get really good, then nearly half the film was utter crap according to Ami.

Amir0x

Banned
harSon said:

I'm not "shoving my opinion" down anyone's throats. We can agree to disagree. I'm not saying my opinion is more right than yours.

HOWEVER, what do you think changes in this last hour that would genuinely make me feel the movie was even decent? Honest question. Does the script magically turn from festering shit pile to even Bee Movie levels of mediocrity? Does the art direction become more appealing, do the action scenes come off less as processed commercial CG fat?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Cheebs said:
Memorial Weekend is 4 days, not the traditional 3. And it likely would include thrusday numbers.

I suspect the WORST Indy could do domestically is about 350 million and probably at best 425 million. It will probably be doing numbers similar to Pirates 2.

Oh ok.

And yeah i don't see Indy doing 350 at all. There's more movies coming.

harSon

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Well, are you claiming the second half was a lot better than the first? Because even if the point where he walked out was where the film started to get really good, then nearly half the film was utter crap according to Ami.

I'd have no problem if he were touting the first half of the film to be horrid, unfortunately, he's not. Reviewing the film as a whole, having only seen the first hour, does not make for the most objective opinions around :)

pxleyes said:
Is that any different than those that are willing to defend it with the same reckless abandon?

Um, yeah. I don't see anybody saying that people who hated this movie are morons-- the reverse is quite common, however. Most of the "pro-Speed" crowd are saying it's not for everyone.

It's not even close to a parity situation.

Amir0x said:

And I fell aspeep halfway through Transformers, but I didn't feel the need to shout it from the rooftops are to argue with everybody whose opinion differed.

Ignatz Mouse said:
And I fell aspeep halfway through Transformers, but I didn't feel the need to shout it from the rooftops are to argue with everybody whose opinion differed.
Well about 80% of GAF sure did.

Amir0x

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:

I'm not sure why you think I'm going to give a fuck how you approach your criticisms. In any event, I don't even go into the Speed Racer thread, ever.

These Office Box Office threads are my way of satisfying my bitterness of having paid for TWO TICKETS to this stupid fucking movie, because in the end it's such a phenomenal bomb. The Speed Racer fans have that thread for unabashed dick sucking.

J2 Cool

irfan said:
Prince Caspian DISSAPPOINTS.

Better thread title.

Really. Iron Man stole a lot of thunder as the first summer blockbuster. Narnia being sandwiched between that and Indiana Jones is not good at all, not to mention the screentime only allowing them to fit so many screenings during the week they have to themself. The release just seemed really badly planned. My friend was really confident about the staying power, but with Indy 4, I doubt it. It's not the biggest family film, biggest budget, biggest anything. Hopefully for Narnia fans, Disney realizes this and doesn't blame the franchise itself for not eclipsing Indiana Jones or for not being the first hugely anticipated blockbuster of the season. I'm guessing it lands around 180-200 million.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
Really? I never read the official threads, but in general discussion it sure seems to have a lot of fans.

There's a group of people who like it and people who hate it. In the real world, people seem to enjoy it more than hate it, but.. well on GAF, people who hate it are quite.. vocal.

Transformers was awesome.

EktorPR

Amir0x said:
I'm not sure why you think I'm going to give a fuck how you approach your criticisms. In any event, I don't even go into the Speed Racer thread, ever.

These Office Box Office threads are my way of satisfying my bitterness of having paid for TWO TICKETS to this stupid fucking movie, because in the end it's such a phenomenal bomb. The Speed Racer fans have that thread for unabashed dick sucking.

Are you always this ill-natured? I can't fathom you always being like this.

Amir0x said:

Yeah, saying "I liked that movie, it was a lot of fun" sure is dick-sucking sycophantism.

I'm sorry you were so scarred by a kid's movie.

Sapiens

Transformers and Speed Racer are the same kind of rubbish.

Awful films. Awful.

I'm glad Speed Racer bombed in all possible ways. Critically and commercially. Thank-GOD!

We will never again see candy coloured films with shit acting, shit actors and shit story directed by the Wachowski [hacks] ever again.

To those that bemoan the death of 'creativity' at hollywood, you should consider watching an actual, creative film, instead of an overproduced ego trip. Hollywood will never stop producing big budget special effects bonanzas, so please, don't worry. These films just won't be coming from the [hacks] as produced by Joel Silver.

Boo on Speed Racer.

Amir0x

Banned
EktorPR said:
Are you always this ill-natured? I can't fathom you always being like this.

How is it ill-natured? I paid money for a shitty movie, therefore I am happy that shitty movie bombed. Seems like the natural progression to me.

Ignatz Movie said:
Yeah, saying "I liked that movie, it was a lot of fun" sure is dick-sucking sycophantism.

I'm sorry you were so scarred by a kid's movie.

I'm not scarred, because you see the movie bombed. Thus order is restored to this world.

Sapiens

[Durr=Prime crotch]Oh you should check any TF movie thread it's like a hate festival.[/Durr]

Just give it up. It was a toyetic film for children that a bunch of overweight TF nerds fueled at the BO.

Give it up.

FoneBone

Dan said:
I'm not referencing that, nor would I believe it until reported by someone with legitimacy.
Again, AICN was not the only site reporting it, and even then, you know as well as I do that -- as much as there is to dislike about the site -- they are well-connected. But whatever makes you feel better, I guess.

harSon

Banned
Sapiens said:
[Durr=Prime crotch]Oh you should check any TF movie thread it's like a hate festival.[/Durr]

Just give it up. It was a toyetic film for children that a bunch of overweight TF nerds fueled at the BO.

Give it up.

Either you're A) One of the nerds who helped 'fuel the film at the box office' B) Pirated the film or C) Didn't watch the film and are full of shit.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Cheebs said:
Nothing that big in the next couple weeks in terms of blockbusters after it.

Sex and the City will make a dent. Then you will have a Sandler movie, and Kung Fu panda for the kids.

Personally i have a hard time believing that Indiana Jones today has the same amount of mass appeal as Pirates 2 did, when Pirates hit the maximum hype of the franchise, but that's just me.

Sapiens

harSon said:
Either you're A) One of the nerds who helped 'fuel the film at the box office' B) Pirated the film or C) Didn't watch the film and are full of shit.

Excuse me? I was there in the theatre. I was actually one of the 'nerds'. I was not a TF fan but simply looking to enjoy a wiz-bang summer action fiasco, but I got a poorly produced shit-fest instead. Everyone got that. What distinguished me from the other troglodytes there (like some of my friends) was that I had the mental capacity to look past the all the shit and see the creamy, diarrhea centre. This film was void of any redeeming value. Even the ILM visual effects were not really worth it due to the poor directing.

Iron Man, on the other hand, delivers as a wiz-bang, hold on to your hat, fun summer film. I guess that's what happens with you combine a competent director with a seasoned cast of interesting pros. And of course, Favreau made sure that ILM's hard work would matter this time around.

Transformers = Speed Racer, but with more money.

temp

posting on contract only
Sapiens said:
Excuse me? I was there in the theatre. I was actually one of the 'nerds'. I was not a TF fan but simply looking to enjoy a wiz-bang summer action fiasco, but I got a poorly produced shit-fest instead. Everyone got that. What distinguished me from the other troglodytes there (like some of my friends) was that I had the mental capacity to look past the all the shit and see the creamy, diarrhea centre. This film was void of any redeeming value. Even the ILM visual effects were not really worth it due to the poor directing.

Iron Man, on the other hand, delivers as a wiz-bang, hold on to your hat, fun summer film. I guess that's what happens with you combine a competent director with a seasoned cast of interesting pros. And of course, Favreau made sure that ILM's hard work would matter this time around.

Transformers = Speed Racer, but with more money.
Yeah, you have the mental capacity to not enjoy something. Congratulations to you, you're brilliant. Keep fighting the good fight, genius.

Soul4ger

Wasn't there a report or something that Walden Media and Disney will no longer be doing Narnia movies, or something like that? They seem to be awfully popular...

Kikujiro

I'm sad, the box-office disaster of Speed Racer is the perfect example of why we can't have nice things. Unlike the copy/paste blockbuster movies that nobody will remember within a couple of years (like Iron Man, don't hate me), the latest work of Wachowski bros. uses his huge budget to propose something fresh and new, literally a new vision of cinema... and it bombs.

Spread the word, Speed Racer deserve to be watched, in the fucking movie theatre, like a Cecil B. DeMille work (no comparison here).

Come on guys, stop shitting on Iron Man because SR isn't doing well. Both movies were pretty darn good. You're just igniting the anti-SR people in doing so.

About a week ago I had the choice of seeing Iron Man or Speed Racer, and I chose Iron Man because everyone was saying it was a good action flick and it was a safe way to spend my cash.

I really do want to see Speed Racer eventually though.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
SonicMegaDrive said:
Come on guys, stop shitting on Iron Man because SR isn't doing well. Both movies were pretty darn good. You're just igniting the anti-SR people in doing so.
I don't see people saying Iron Man sucks. It's perfectly enjoyable and fun, but it also does absolutely nothing new. It's just a refinement of the best parts of previous superhero movies. There's nothing wrong with having films like that in and of themselves, but it's kinda depressing when movies that do try new things are hated on from the very first trailer and movies that don't rock the boat soar at the box office.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Dan said:
I don't see people saying Iron Man sucks. It's perfectly enjoyable and fun, but it also does absolutely nothing new. It's just a refinement of the best parts of previous superhero movies. There's nothing wrong with having films like that in and of themselves, but it's kinda depressing when movies that do try new things are hated on from the very first trailer and movies that don't rock the boat soar at the box office.

That's Bullshit. Speed Racer just tried something that didn't fly. No boy kid wants to go see a movie that looks like a Rainbow on speed.

I want to see it, but i want to see a Rainbow on speed, know what i'm sayin?

Defcon

Banned
Speed Racer bombed, not because it's a bad movie, but because nobody wants to see a film based on fucking Speed Racer.

Sapiens

Dan said:

Many excellent films do poorly at the box office. Speed Racer ain't one of them. The Wachowski [hacks] were trying to make a family film with mass market appeal and they failed, miserably. Don't pretend that this film is something important. It's a 160 million dollar, overproduced film designed to make money.

period.

And it bombed. Less garbage like this in the future. Hoorahhh!

SonicMegaDrive said:

Word. I liked Speed Racer a lot, but Iron Man was a better movie (if less daring).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom