• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd. Box Office May 16–18, '08 - "Prince Caspian" slays "Iron" giant

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
harSon said:
Because I convinced them to do so? They all had similar opinions going into the movie (Thought the trailer looked horrible and it had unfavorable Critic reviews) and each oone of them enjoyed the movie. Every single person I know that has seen it (Somewhere between 16-18 people) enjoyed the film with the exception being Gil... who loves to hate on everything :p

That just proves my point, the only people who are going to watch Speed Racer are: (A) people who were going to watch it without question and (B) people who are convinced/dragged by their friends. Thus there is no reason why the external public should be expected to go see Speed Racer

WrikaWrek said:
Yes. Cyclops looks cool. Not to mention he's an iconic character, he's an x-men.

Speed racer is...fucking speed racer man. And cyclops wasn't driving around in candy land either.

Heh! Well I guess I can't argue with that logic.

ezekial45

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
That just proves my point, the only people who are going to watch Speed Racer are: (A) people who were going to watch it without question and (B) people who are convinced/dragged by their friends. Thus there is no reason why the external public should be expected to go see Speed Racer

(C) People who were familiar with the series and were curious to see how it turned out.

grandjedi6 said:
Okay. So? Why did they go and watch the movie in the first place?

There is no reason to be surprised by this, at all. There is ZERO motivation why anyone should watch Speed Racer. However Transformers was actually hyped up and got decent reviews, thus it is not surprising that it did so well. Meet the Spartans actually did as poorly as Speed Racer is doing, however Meet the Spartans had a much much lower budget so it didn't really matter.

When you have negative reviews, bad marketing, no hype and diverse word of mouth, you can't expect the mass public to watch the movie

what's with SOAP then? :p
But no, I agree, it was a tragic mix of bad stuff, but I'd definitely consider word of mouth as the least important reason

Solo

D. None of the above.

I wasnt planning to see it, wasnt dragged there, and wasnt a fan of the series previously. I saw it on a whim.

duckroll

jett said:
Fuck you Speed Racer haters, right in your uptight asses. Motherfuckers.

:lol

It's hilarious seeing people so butthurt over this. You would think they bought shares in Warner before this. :)

harSon

Banned
Cheebs said:
It was tracking to be a bomb (though not as huge of a bomb as it ended up being) before Iron Man came out

If you bring up polling data again.... I'm going to cut my balls off.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Pureauthor said:
Well, are you claiming the second half was a lot better than the first?

The second half of Speed Racer is actually better than the first. Though anyone who thought the first half was "horrible" isn't going to consider it anything more than "average" at best (its better, buts its not that much better or different).

ezekial45

Banned
duckroll said:

It's hilarious seeing people so butthurt over this. You would think they bought shares in Warner before this. :)

I'm more surprised at how people are relishing the fact that it bombed.

duckroll

ezekial45 said:
I'm more surprised at how people are relishing the fact that it bombed.

Well, the fact that a fruity CG laden big budget Hollywood remake of the US adaptation of a 60s Japanese anime is bombing is no surprise at all. The fact that people are so angry about it that they start hurling obscenities and calling haters names just makes it all the funnier.

harSon

Banned
duckroll said:
Well, the fact that a fruity CG laden big budget Hollywood remake of the US adaptation of a 60s Japanese anime is bombing is no surprise at all. The fact that people are so angry about it that they start hurling obscenities and calling haters names just makes it all the funnier.

Masturbating over the box office results is not all that different :p

Amir0x

Banned
There's no reason for us "haters" to beat around the bush. We paid for our sins of buying a Speed Racer movie ticket, and we damn well earned our right to celebrate its Hindenburg-esque flame out.

ezekial45

Banned
duckroll said:
Well, the fact that a fruity CG laden big budget Hollywood remake of the US adaptation of a 60s Japanese anime is bombing is no surprise at all.

Of course. I didn't expect it to make it to 40 million (WB's projection) either.

duckroll said:
The fact that people are so angry about it that they start hurling obscenities and calling haters names just makes it all the funnier.

I understand that. I really liked the movie, yet i've been able keep to myself on most of the haters asinine comments on the movie. It just surprises me that the people who really hate the movie go out of their way to comment on it so harshly.

Amir0x said:
There's no reason for us "haters" to beat around the bush. We paid for our sins of buying a Speed Racer movie ticket, and we damn well earned our right to celebrate its Hindenburg-esque flame out.

You only earn that right by actually sticking through the ENTIRE thing.

robot

SonicMegaDrive said:
I'm grateful that Speed Racer exists, no matter how it does from here on in.

There'll likely not be anything like it again, but it should end up being a cult classic.

100% Agree. I guess the bright side is they won't have a chance to ruin it with sequels.

ezekial45 said:
Of course. I didn't expect it to make it to 40 million (WB's projection) either.

I understand that. I really liked the movie, yet i've been able keep to myself on most of the haters asinine comments on the movie. It just surprises me that the people who really hate the movie go out of their way to comment on it so harshly.

That is the internet in a nutshell.

100% Agree. I guess the bright side is they won't have a chance to ruin it with sequels.

Yeah, I'm not saddened by the fact that there won't be a sequel. I'm just surprised that there's a frickin' live action Speed Racer movie out there, and it actually does the cartoon justice. That blows my mind.

duckroll

Mind you, I'm far from a hater. I found the movie actually rather entertaining if way too long, but it just boggles the mind how a movie like that got greenlit. I'm mostly laughing at the reactions to the boxoffice.

I'm no Amir0x!

jett

D-Member
duckroll said:

The BOMBA doesn't really annoy, it's more sad than anything, no studio will ever let a director do something like this again in the near future. It's the constant hate and vitriol against Speed Racer that is ridiculous, especially coming from Iron Man fantards. Enjoy your mediocrity.

duckroll

jett said:
The BOMBA doesn't really annoy, it's more sad than anything, no studio will ever let a director do something like this again in the near future. It's the constant hate and vitriol against Speed Racer that is ridiculous, especially coming from Iron Man fantards. Enjoy your mediocrity.

And I was all ready to agree with you too... :(

harSon

Banned
duckroll said:
Mind you, I'm far from a hater. I found the movie actually rather entertaining if way too long, but it just boggles the mind how a movie like that got greenlit. I'm mostly laughing at the reactions to the boxoffice.

I'm no Amir0x!

At least you didn't go out of your way to snap a shot of your Speed Racer ticket in the toilet :)

Amir0x

Banned
ezekial45 said:

No I earn that right by shelling out $18 bucks for two movie tickets. Nobody in this thread, or any thread, has made any argument about why sticking through the rest of that torturous chunk of overproduced cinema would somehow change my opinion.

You can hide behind the false premise that I earn the right to hate by continuing to let the movie melt my brain cells for an additional hour, but the reality is you and I both know that if someone thought the movie sucked for the first hour, absolutely nothing would change in the last.

Least of all, even if the last hour was elevated even to DECENT level, the movie would still be shitty overall because half the movie sucked.

duckroll said:

I'm no Amir0x!

Same here.

It's actually been talked about for years. I remember hearing rumours about a live action SR film as early as 1999.

I can't believe they thought it would do well, much less the fact that it actually got made! I guess they felt with the guys behind the Matrix doing it, that it stood a chance.

Still, I'm glad they took a chance, and I hope it does better overseas and on home video.

WrikaWrek

Banned
jett said:

For Mr. Negative and a alternative looking avatar, i wouldn't have expected you to like Speed racer so much.

I guess you just need some color in your life.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
jett said:

Awwww someone get Jett a tissue!

And I'll continue to enjoy my mediocrity while you continue to masterbate to your garbage.

harSon

Banned
Amir0x said:
No I earn that right by shelling out $18 bucks for two movie tickets. Nobody in this thread, or any thread, has made any argument about why sticking through the rest of that torturous chunk of overproduced cinema would somehow change my opinion.

You can hide behind the false premise that I earn the right to hate by continuing to let the movie melt my brain cells for an additional hour, but the reality is you and I both know that if someone thought the movie sucked for the first hour, absolutely nothing would change in the last.

Least of all, even if the last hour was elevated even to DECENT level, the movie would still be shitty overall because half the movie sucked.

You earned the right to hate on the hour you personally witnessed. You can assume the other hour and 15 minutes was complete trash but that's all it's going to... an assumption.

duckroll

harSon said:
You earned the right to hate on the hour you personally witnessed. You can assume the other hour and 15 minutes was complete trash but that's all it's going to... an assumption.

I think he has the right to hate on himself for paying for tickets to the movie after seeing the trailers. Seriously, if you didn't think the trailers were worth watching, why go see the movie?

Amir0x

Banned
harSon, until you or someone else can provide a single solitary reason why my opinion would magically change with the viewing of the final hour, then no I've earned the right to trash the entire gargantuan fucking disaster.

duckroll said:
I think he has the right to hate on himself for paying for tickets to the movie after seeing the trailers. Seriously, if you didn't think the trailers were worth watching, why go see the movie?

I didn't see it for myself. I didn't recommend it. My sister wanted to see a movie, and we both saw Iron Man earlier. She wanted to see Speed Racer, and what else was I going to see? Ashton Kutcher? Fuuuck

harSon

Banned
Amir0x said:
harSon, until you or someone else can provide a single solitary reason why my opinion would magically change with the viewing of the final hour, then no I've earned the right to trash the entire gargantuan fucking disaster.

And until you see the remaining hour and 15 minutes of the film, your review as a whole is half assumption.

Solo

This Speed Racer vs Iron Man stuff is great. And its only May. What will happen when Indy, Batman, Hulk, and so on join the fray? Its going to be another summer of hilarity at GAF with respect to the summer movie wars.

robot

SonicMegaDrive said:
Yeah, I'm not saddened by the fact that there won't be a sequel. I'm just surprised that there's a frickin' live action Speed Racer movie out there, and it actually does the cartoon justice. That blows my mind.

I've always appreciated Speed Racer more as a concept than actual execution - even going back to the original series. Like every other show you grew up with, watching it again just hurts your memory of how awesome it was - usually because of how dated the animation is and how slow the storylines are. But this movie is far and away the best execution of the concept to date. I feel like someone finally nailed it. Just sucks that the majority of movie-goers don't appreciate the concept of Speed Racer like the rest of us.

ezekial45

Banned
Amir0x said:

Your opinion is only on half a movie. Thats almost like hating the first half of Star Wars (not comparing) and assuming that the rest of the movie is just as crappy. I don't really know what you hated about it exactly. I only seem to recall hearing this movie is awful, fruity colors, etc. Can you post what you hated exactly again?

Amir0x said:

It seems like you actually WANT to hate the movie. You're holding to that first half of the movie as what it all really comes down to. Like it really matters, a lot of people who saw it with me weren't to sure about the first half, but really enjoyed the latter part. It was just another hour, what else did you have to do anyway?

Amir0x said:

You might even hate the movie more if you saw the end of it. With all due respect, you're being a little ignorant. You say you want to hear an argument on the second half, but at the same time its like you don't really care anyway.

What EXACTLY did you hate about it?

harSon

Banned
Amir0x said:
harSon, repeating your failed argument doesn't make it true.

I'm not exactly sure what needs to be proven but I'll entertain you. What is the last part of the movie you remember?

grandjedi6

harSon said:
And until you see the remaining hour and 15 minutes of the film, your review as a whole is half assumption.

If the movie sucked so much that consumers didn't watch the second half, that is the movie's fault not the consumers. The argument "But it gets better!" is stupid in both video games and movies. They are both entertainment medias that are suppose to entertain, not force you to watch crap to get to any hypothetical quality.

harSon

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
If the movie sucked so much that consumers didn't watch the second half, that is the movie's fault not the consumers. The argument "But it gets better!" is stupid in both video games and movies. They are both entertainment medias that are suppose to entertain, not force you to watch crap to get to any hypothetical quality.

Like I previously stated, he's entitled to hate the film. But he cannot objectively review the movie as a whole.

Amir0X: You wouldn't enjoy the last half of the film any more than you did the first half.

I've always appreciated Speed Racer more as a concept than actual execution - even going back to the original series. Like every other show you grew up with, watching it again just hurts your memory of how awesome it was - usually because of how dated the animation is and how slow the storylines are. But this movie is far and away the best execution of the concept to date. I feel like someone finally nailed it. Just sucks that the majority of movie-goers don't appreciate the concept of Speed Racer like the rest of us.

Indeed. What I like about Speed Racer, the original show, were the light-hearted characters and over-the-top dramatics. It's corny, but it's fun. Almost like a James Bond movie in a way. It's certainly an acquired taste, and I don't really blame the people that didn't like the movie one bit.

What surprises me is that some people, knowing how silly the original cartoon is, expected the film to be dramatically different. The film IS the cartoon with live actors, adding a little more personality and back story into the characters here and there.

Remember the scene where Pops wrestled with the ninja? Right out of the show. To a lot of people watching, I bet it looked like the dumbest thing ever. But to me, it was gold. That's how ridiculous the show really was!

grandjedi6

harSon said:
Like I previously stated, he's entitled to hate the film. But he cannot objectively review the movie as a whole.

I don't think Amir0x is trying to objectively review the movie. He's just giving his opinion as a consumer

Slayven

Man I would pay to be a fly on the wall of WB offices right now. And will the matrix name still allow the W siblings to receive a blank check from the studios?

Sapiens

Slayven said:
Man I would pay to be a fly on the wall of WB offices right now. And will the matrix name still allow the W siblings to receive a blank check from the studios?

Matrix gave them the ability to ask for blank cheques. Speed Racer took it away. Trust me. Don't get me wrong, the Matrix franchise has made untold millions for Warner, so they've earned the cred with WB, but the Matrix has been their only big hit. Not much diversity.

I'm not saying that their careers are over, but they definitely won't be doing things on the scale of Speed Racer for a while.

Solo

They are working on a movie right now (producing, I think, with James McTeigue directing again) called Ninja Assassin, which sounds even wackier than Speed Racer.

duckroll

Solo said:
They are working on a movie right now (producing, I think, with James McTeigue directing again) called Ninja Assassin, which sounds even wackier than Speed Racer.

Isn't Joel Silver producing that? I don't think the Wachowskis have anything to do with it. Its just Joel Silver and RAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIN.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Anywho, Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule: Days of Speed Racer. I think that piece expresses a lot of my feelings.

--
As for differences between the first and second halves of Speed Racer, well, the second half has a definite linear structure rather than the first hour's interweaving timelines. The movie also discovers its primary plot somewhere around what I assume is the hour mark.

duckroll said:
Isn't Joel Silver producing that? I don't think the Wachowskis have anything to do with it. Its just Joel Silver and RAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIN.
Wachowskis are producing as well. They also wrote it.

Amir0x said:
Why can't you guys just understand the vibrant CREATIVITY and pure FUN of Speed Racer?

Yes, that's right, FUN! Which you glowering elitists should start getting familiar with! You self-hating New Yorker reading snobs can't even sit down and appreciate brainless popcorn flicks without the pesky shadow of actual thought looming large on your experience.

Did you even see the climax? Did you see all that fucking CG? That was a lot of goddamn CG. So much color and explosive FUN... and CG! I can just sit back and have fun, but you guys? You've gone so long with expecting movies NOT to suck that you can't even appreciate those that do suck. Even if that did make sense, you're still elitists!
:lol Never change Amir0x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom