• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, so Nintendo might actually be going online finally. . .

explodet

I'm personally scratching my head at all these clues, I'm just confused.

Just let me know when they tell everyone what the hell they're working on and I'll be there.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
explodet said:
I'm personally scratching my head at all these clues, I'm just confused.

Just let me know when they tell everyone what the hell they're working on and I'll be there.

DS Wireless Online, that's the barebones explanation.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Also, do not forget an already mentioned feature for DS, the ability to play certain DS games without the actual game if you are in range of another DS. Could this be extended to a larger area network? I think it would be detrimental to sales to be able to play worldwide without the card, what if you could just watch people playing?

Memles

Society said:
Also, do not forget an already mentioned feature for DS, the ability to play certain DS games without the actual game if you are in range of another DS. Could this be extended to a larger area network? I think it would be detrimental to sales to be able to play worldwide without the card, what if you could just watch people playing?

I'm guessing that is while connected via Nintendo's own signal, used for close contact multiplayer. In that case, the game can be spread for the purpose of multiplayer. In Wi-Fi mode, I'm guessing this won't be the case.

Spike

Society said:

I think this feature has been taken out. I was reading an interview with the Nintendo R&D where he said that every player has to have a copy of the game.

Don't ask me where I read it, but I know that I did because I remember discussing it with a friend over AIM.

Spike said:
I think this feature has been taken out. I was reading an interview with the Nintendo R&D where he said that every player has to have a copy of the game.

Don't ask me where I read it, but I know that I did because I remember discussing it with a friend over AIM.

It does still appear on Nintendo's press site for what that's worth...

Wireless Game Sharing: If software developers desire, multiple players can compete in wireless games, even if only one person has a game card inserted. Players could also test-play games for themselves as long as they stayed connected.

Spike

krypt0nian said:
Wireless Game Sharing: If software developers desire, multiple players can compete in wireless games, even if only one person has a game card inserted. Players could also test-play games for themselves as long as they stayed connected.

So much for that feature.

Spike said:
So much for that feature.

Well you could do the shared game pack thing on a handful of gba games....not that it mattered as it was a stripped down version.

This should be the same thing most likely.

New Chad post:

I must ask this question now. Of course, we'll compare notes later to see how you truly feel. Which do you prefer; reality or REALity?

Bees sting. Serotonin truly excites.

"We can use 4 screen when played by 2 player, maybe even 6 screens, or 8 screens. The number of screens increases rapidily, and that kind of possibility of expansion makes us excited."

-Keiji Inafune
(Mega Man, Onimusha)

being that there's no need to buy any extra accesories (i.e. link cable), im sure all developers will implement this game sharing feature into their games.

infact, im sure it'll only be a matter of time before someone makes a game based on the whole idea of having 32 screens running off of just one persons game.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ok let's look at this in retrospect without the clues and hoola.

It seems like Chad from WPT is backing the whole communcation aspect majorly - anyone who thinks otherwise is a close-minded moron.

Surprise surprise, Nintendo have always had a communication gameplay > everything within their games, Animal Crossing being a huge example. Being online within the Animal Crossing universe does not constrict it's communication value.. it's also surprising when you consider the fact that Nintendo have, since their console inception, tried multiple times to penetrate the online gaming/communication/newsgroups. Of course those who wanted such features had to pay fee's, yet it surprises me that since now online gaming is huge and thus people will pay to play games, why hasn't Nintendo bothered this generation? Because right now their mindset is on allowing the player to play with others online without the constant need of a subscription based service, ala Xbox Live.

Or, in simple terms; would you rather pay $10-15 per month to play Pokemon online or play it for free through the use of your dial-up/broadband ISP? Take into account the major demographic that Nintendo is aiming with Pokemon is of course children, wouldn't you as a parent prefer the latter option.

I don't know about you all, but it seems that even though the specs for "Revolution" haven't been define as of yet, even if this technology by WPT were used on DS wouldn't it also be able to be used within Nintendo's next console of choice?

Or we could all be played into the hands of tricksters, the new Gigaton. If so, Chad you are the definite Joker.

Kon Tiki

Banned
krypt0nian said:
New Chad post:

I must ask this question now. Of course, we'll compare notes later to see how you truly feel. Which do you prefer; reality or REALity?

Hmm Seratonin and psilocybin are very similar, i think just one carbon seperates their makeup.

Psilocybin is found in magic mushrooms. Mario like mushrooms, he lives in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Seratonin decides where data is sent to.

What does this all mean?

I do not know.

aoi tsuki

Johnny Nighttrain said:
infact, im sure it'll only be a matter of time before someone makes a game based on the whole idea of having 32 screens running off of just one persons game.
So, instead of selling 32 copies per group, they could sell one? Interesting concept though.

Drensch

Could this be related to the piconet talk from a few months ago? I don't know enough about the ds hardware(or wireless stuff in general), but can the ds daisy chain a wifi or bluetooth signal? That is, instead of having to be at a hot spot, can the ds send to a ds nearby which sends to a ds near it and so on and so forth? Instead of having to be within 100ft of someone, you'd only have to be within 100ft of someone who is within 100ft of someone and so on? If you had 5 people 100ft apart could the person at the beginning of the chain communicate with the person 500ft away?(ignoring latency and what not)

aoi tsuki said:
So, instead of selling 32 copies per group, they could sell one? Interesting concept though.
no no no. the idea isn't to sell one copy between a shit load of people, the concept and idea behind this is to make a game that makes use of a crap load of screens. because of the WiFi, and the fact that there's game sharing, it shouldn't be a problem to get up to 32 screens (16 DS's) going at it.

i only wish i could come up with a decent idea of a game that would take advantage of having so many screens. but clearly, Inafune is totally on to something here. i just with i knew what was going on in the guys head.

Drensch said:
Could this be related to the piconet talk from a few months ago? I don't know enough about the ds hardware(or wireless stuff in general), but can the ds daisy chain a wifi or bluetooth signal? That is, instead of having to be at a hot spot, can the ds send to a ds nearby which sends to a ds near it and so on and so forth? Instead of having to be within 100ft of someone, you'd only have to be within 100ft of someone who is within 100ft of someone and so on? If you had 5 people 100ft apart could the person at the beginning of the chain communicate with the person 500ft away?(ignoring latency and what not)

The reason this has been shot down by some is that if one drops out/turns off unit, all others past them are cut off.

Not very feasible.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
DaCocoBrova said:
omg.jpg

oh my god.. i almost pissed my pants when i saw this photo

and prssed the send button too quickly :p

if this truly is a proper online thing - online animal crossing, etc.. i may just pass out

however if this guy turns out to be overexaggerating / making stuff up people will no doubt want his blood :p

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
krypt0nian said:
The reason this has been shot down by some is that if one drops out/turns off unit, all others past them are cut off.

Not very feasible.

Still can't rule it out, though, since chad has been harping on groups and community. There could still be someway to avoid that.

8bit

Knows the Score
Society said:
Hmm Seratonin and psilocybin are very similar, i think just one carbon seperates their makeup.

Psilocybin is found in magic mushrooms. Mario like mushrooms, he lives in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Seratonin decides where data is sent to.

What does this all mean?

I do not know.

You can use the DS to buy drugs.

NWO

krypt0nian said:
New Chad post:

This guy needs to learn to give better clues.....

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
NWO said:
This guy needs to learn to give better clues.....

From the link.

"The brain does not exist in isolation but rather is a fundamental, interacting component of a developing, aging individual who is a single actor in the larger theater of life. This theater is undeniably social. . ."

Chad has been emphasizing community, personality, groups, social related topics as to suggest this is the way the multiplayer experience is going to be revolutionized.

yodandy said:
New Dean post...its a doozy

attachment.php

Have fun with that

Next image to be posted this weekend...

wpuzzle.gif

OMFG, DS WILL HAVE FIRST-EVER GARBAGE MAN MMORPG. GAME TO BE LAGGY, SCATALOGICAL NIGHTMARE. HALO 2 KILLER FOR SURE. NICE KNOWING YOU, PSP!!!1

New Chad from WPT post:

Chad Paulson said:
The Halo Benders just happen to be one of my favorite bands. Although it would be equally truthful to state that certain individuals with a propensity of communicating through virtual violence wear masks. It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you rather wallow in a series of virtual places, paying as your life passes on? Life is about choices, live it and make your own. Don't Live and have them made for you while you pay.

Community
Personality
Interaction
Social
Connected
Outside

It all starts to make some sort of sense....or at least an inkling of sense.

GDGF

Soothsayer
In that jumble I see in order (and I am counting the obvious as last)

Interact Human Not Alien Failure Six Over (and then the already highlighted words) I Take DOO (which is probably from NintendooDS) Lag...

Figure that one out, will ya :)

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Cruel Bastard Mario said:
In that jumble I see in order (and I am counting the obvious as last)

Interact Human Not Alien Failure Six Over (and then the already highlighted words) I Take DOO (which is probably from NintendooDS) Lag...

Figure that one out, will ya :)

Best guess so far. From the n-sider boards.

timetokill said:
"To interact is human. Failure to interact is alien. Let me do it over no lag. Lag is over."

Once again the social motif.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Seems like a poor man's I Love Bees. It's like he would have taken the superficial aspects of it (riddles, cryptic words, etc.) but not really understood and/or had the resources to pull off the deep concept of reality-tied occurences and true user interaction.

Maybe even more than that, I'm skewed to the Lord Federman direction with this for now - an interesting media "experiment" - hoax or deliberate exaggeration - it has already popped up in many semi-respectable sites, when will it hit big time? How does information travel around the world? How does it get coloured when being reproduced? What are the types of discourse it gets tied into? Wow - this would have made a great masters thesis in Discourse Analysis!! A real social / discourse experiment involving thousands of test subjects (gamers) in their natural habitat, easily documented and quick.

Watch out, I'll do a PhD with Gigaton 2 when you least expect it!!

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Chittagong said:
Seems like a poor man's I Love Bees. It's like he would have taken the superficial aspects of it (riddles, cryptic words, etc.) but not really understood and/or had the resources to pull off the deep concept of reality-tied occurences and true user interaction.

Maybe even more than that, I'm skewed to the Lord Federman direction with this for now - an interesting media "experiment" - hoax or deliberate exaggeration - it has already popped up in many semi-respectable sites, when will it hit big time? How does information travel around the world? How does it get coloured when being reproduced? What are the types of discourse it gets tied into? Wow - this would have made a great masters thesis in Discourse Analysis!! A real social / discourse experiment involving thousands of test subjects (gamers) in their natural habitat, easily documented and quick.

Watch out, I'll do a PhD with Gigaton 2 when you least expect it!!

No doubter has answered my question as to why this would be a hoax. Why would Chad Paulson put his entire career on the line? Warp Pipe has now become a company in Warp Pipe Technologies and if he was lying about this the company would be fucked. There's no way he would sacrifice his career just for a chuckle.

Bringing Lord Federman's name into this is just plain wrong. There is something big happening soon. Chad is one scary-smart person. You can get that just chatting with him.

I'm betting that this is odder than we're imagining.

neptunes

timetokill said:
"To interact is human. Failure to interact is alien. Let me do it over no lag. Lag is over."

When I read this in conjunction to chad's most recent post, it seems as if they're referring to close range multiplayer.

Chad Paulson said:
The Halo Benders just happen to be one of my favorite bands. Although it would be equally truthful to state that certain individuals with a propensity of communicating through virtual violence wear masks. It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you rather wallow in a series of virtual places, paying as your life passes on? Life is about choices, live it and make your own. Don't Live and have them made for you while you pay.

rim shot at live?

neptunes said:
When I read this in conjunction to chad's most recent post, it seems as if they're referring to close range multiplayer.

rim shot at live?

Yes and one of MANY so far. He's not masking that. =)

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
neptunes said:
explain this quote then...

Would he rather have your face shown or something?
headscratch1.gif

yes, he's trying to say that the way we're going to connect is going to be more personalized. He's been hinting at this and also the massive worldwide scale with the magellan picture. So somehow both are going to be integrated.

Oxymoron

Halo for DS confirmed?

Edit: Beaten

Chittagong

Gold Member
deadlifter said:
No doubter has answered my question as to why this would be a hoax. Why would Chad Paulson put his entire career on the line? Warp Pipe has now become a company in Warp Pipe Technologies and if he was lying about this the company would be fucked. There's no way he would sacrifice his career just for a chuckle.

The only motive I can come up with - far-fetched - is running giant lifesize viral marketing experiment. Would be interesting and useful to myself, but not him probably and disastrous for his career. So, I can't really get my head around this.

Maybe there is substance indeed, but the his deliberate and constant hype has ballooned it into a proportion that will leave people disappointed even if he would come up with wireless electricity. That's always the risk with Nintendo and IGN hype trains.

Now, the chatter of this refering only to close range play, lot's of StarRoad / World Smash / Nintendo Online fanfictionists will be - again - massively disappointed. Still no global online Metrioid Prime!

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
krypt0nian said:
deadlifter, do you think Historian on the N-Forums is connected?

i don't think he's connected, but he is saying peculiar things. Until Chad or Dean say otherwise i will take everything he says with a grain of salt. Plus, bringing up those patents isn't that big of a deal, because they were already cited yesterday. From what i can see he's just acting like he's "in the know".

Chittagong said:
Now, the chatter of this refering only to close range play, lot's of StarRoad / World Smash / Nintendo Online fanfictionists will be - again - massively disappointed. Still no global online Metrioid Prime!

He's still hinting at worldwide multiplayer with the magellan picture. The only other thing, about the picture that can be thought up is "charting a new course" which could be debated, but we'll find out eventually.

New Chad post:

"i'm not playing with you, i'm not playing with you, i'm not playing with you, i clean forgot how to play. but you can still come around, in fact i invite you down, maybe together we can wipe that smile off your face. cause what a difference, what a difference, what a difference a little difference would make. we'll draw a blueprint, it must be easy, it's just a matter of knowing when to say no or yes. frustrating, frustrating, always waiting for the bigger axe to fall. a patient game that i can't find my way to play. never mind what's been selling, it's what you'r buying and receiving undefiled"

SONG Lyric: "Blue Print" by Fugazi

Top Bottom