• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, so Nintendo might actually be going online finally. . .

Chittagong

Gold Member
Kandinsky said:
Found this.....

Yesterday, GamersMark received word of Warp Pipe Industries becoming a legit company and addressed a possible conspiracy concerning the company and Nintendo itself. Well, today we can exclusively confirm what seems to be explosive news. Apparently, Nintendo, Warp Pipe Industries, and Panasonic are working currently working on an Online gaming service for the Nintendo DS and Nintendo’s next home platform, codenamed “Revolution”

Our information comes from contacts close to Nintendo, the closest they can be and what we can reveal is that Nintendo’s collaboration with Warp Pipe and Panasonic’s Online Center, Purog, plans to deliver a free online gaming service for both of Nintendo’s future platforms.

In addition to this, on October 7th Square-Enix will be making some interesting announcements, one of which concerns an MMORPG developed by Nintendo second party and developers of Sword of Mana Brownie Brown.

You heard it here first.

Hard to believe, we'll see.

:lol this is truly reaching Gigaton proportions. Nintendo and online gaming do not compute. If the above fanfiction turns out to be true, I'm glad to receive a Nintendood0wned tag.

And the fact that they are called Warp Pipe Technologies and not Industries just adds on.

akascream

Banned
While it's nice to see Nintendo at least aknowlege online, this is kind of a bummer. No offense to the warp pipe fellas, but why does Nintendo need to resort to small projects like this instead of utilizing thier far superior resources?

Memles

Because when I think of the people to bring Nintendo Online, I think of...people who created a tunneling program for the GameCube LAN enabled games?

That entire article reeks of pure "We feel like taking the little information available and blowing up parts of it with our own relatively crazy speculation on the topic". I've owned nothing but Nintendo systems my entire life and still think it's 100% certifiable bullshit.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Chittagong said:
:lol this is truly reaching Gigaton proportions. Nintendo and online gaming do not compute. If the above fanfiction turns out to be true, I'm glad to receive a Nintendood0wned tag.

And the fact that they are called Warp Pipe Technologies and not Industries just adds on.

I really hope you get that tag too :D

Memles said:
Because when I think of the people to bring Nintendo Online, I think of...people who created a tunneling program for the GameCube LAN enabled games?

That entire article reeks of pure "We feel like taking the little information available and blowing up parts of it with our own relatively crazy speculation on the topic". I've owned nothing but Nintendo systems my entire life and still think it's 100% certifiable bullshit.

Think about it for a sec, though. Once Nintendo saw the ability of the Warp Pipe creators they could have contacted them and given them information on the DS and Revolution. Then Warp Pipe found a way to connect through the net without going through a computer and whatnot. I think this could happen, and i have no idea Chad from Warp Pipe would hype this up so much to have a Gigaton (thanks Chittagong :lol) of backlash put on him. That just doesn't make sense.

akascream

Banned

If Nintendo really has to look to Warp Pipe, perhaps somebody should send them a networking for dummies book. Seriously, this is pretty dissapointing.

Chad from WPT posted these lyrics from a Modest Mouse song called Custom Concern this morning.

It's on the album "This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing to Think About". <Thanks, ZILTCH for catching that>

"Their custom concern for the people
Build up the monuments and steeples
To wear out our eyes
I get up just about noon
My head sends a message for me
to reach for my shoes and then walk
Gotta go to work, gotta go to work, gotta have a job
Goes through the parking lot fields
Doesn't see no signs that they will yield
And then thought, this'll never end
This'll never end, this'll never stop
Message read on the bathroom wall
Says, "I don't feel at all like I fall."
And we're losing all touch, losing all touch
Building a desert"

Still fits in with the puzzle but I'm not sure it provides new info.

Memles

deadlifter said:
Think about it for a sec, though. Once Nintendo saw the ability of the Warp Pipe creators they could have contacted them and given them information on the DS and Revolution. Then Warp Pipe found a way to connect through the net without going through a computer and whatnot. I think this could happen, and i have no idea Chad from Warp Pipe would hype this up so much to have a Gigaton (thanks Chittagong :lol) of backlash put on him. That just doesn't make sense.

I doubt more the scope and scale of the project, and the bullshit from that specific article; it's not like I think Chad and Co. are talking out of their ass.

Zilch

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Chad from WPT posted these lyrics from a Modest Mouse song called Custom Concern this morning.

It's on the album "This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing".

"Their custom concern for the people
Build up the monuments and steeples
To wear out our eyes
I get up just about noon
My head sends a message for me
to reach for my shoes and then walk
Gotta go to work, gotta go to work, gotta have a job
Goes through the parking lot fields
Doesn't see no signs that they will yield
And then thought, this'll never end
This'll never end, this'll never stop
Message read on the bathroom wall
Says, "I don't feel at all like I fall."
And we're losing all touch, losing all touch
Building a desert"

Still fits in with the puzzle but I'm not sure it provides new info.

"This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About"

Could this be what Iwata, was saying about extending the life of the GC. Third party publishers shouldn't have any quarles with this if, true. Having a free online service means it would be less of a risk, I would assume that gamers would take advantage of the feature if it holds true.

Iwata, has mentioned that they were working on technology that would allow gamers to play online at no cost to them and the consumer and it would be revealed when its ready, unless I'm mistaken.

The Warppipe on game boxes, sparked a thought that the software would be on the game and not a piece of hardware. The hardware would be built in the DS itself, but for the Cube it would be sold seperately.

I just had take part in the speculation, it just seemed like you guys were having so much fun.

gamersmark OWNED -

"A Formal Apology

We at the Gamer’s Mark Network have made a dire mistake. We have rashly jumped to conclusions and thus, were the subject of a crude joke created by GCA’s Miguel Yanez and Xbox/Nintendo Evolved’s Lee Harris. They apparently thought it was funny to see who would post their bogus information, but they never thought about how it could damage one’s credibility. Once again, we at Gamer’s Mark Network deeply appologize for our rash decision, if you wish for the true story, go to http://www.n-sider.com for the real story."

krypt0nian said:
gamersmark OWNED -

"A Formal Apology

We at the Gamer’s Mark Network have made a dire mistake. We have rashly jumped to conclusions and thus, were the subject of a crude joke created by GCA’s Miguel Yanez and Xbox/Nintendo Evolved’s Lee Harris. They apparently thought it was funny to see who would post their bogus information, but they never thought about how it could damage one’s credibility. Once again, we at Gamer’s Mark Network deeply appologize for our rash decision, if you wish for the true story, go to http://www.n-sider.com for the real story."

Amazing, not suprising though.

arter_2

krypt0nian said:
gamersmark OWNED -

"A Formal Apology

lol thats great

xsarien

daedsiluap
krypt0nian said:
gamersmark OWNED -

"A Formal Apology

Translation: We post it first, confirm it later. They pwned themselves, trying to blame the people who "broke" the story is lame.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
People are ignoring my post in this thread. I spoke with Warp Pipe's lead, and he told me lots of things, including that they were not being funded by anyone right now. That means they are not being funded by nintendo.

Originally Posted by Chad Paulson
I'm so tired, I was at the office all weekend working. I can't wait...

(you) (?) (?) (?) (?)

becomes

(you) (jon) (tushar) (jord) (tony)

purog!!

Between the the ? and the names were/are images of a GBAsp. This was on the N-sider forums.

Chittagong

Gold Member
krypt0nian said:
gamersmark OWNED -

"A Formal Apology

1tao5a_awro-lui%20was%20owned.jpg

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
A great summary of this thread and the entire matter at hand, by nintendojo.

http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1096488166

GDJustin said:
People are ignoring my post in this thread. I spoke with Warp Pipe's lead, and he told me lots of things, including that they were not being funded by anyone right now. That means they are not being funded by nintendo.

nintendojo said:
ND: So is Nintendo or any other external source funding your project?

Chad: We are a private company. I cannot disclose the details of our balance sheet. For all purposes, Warp Pipe consumes my day from start to finish.

This doesn't mean they can't be funded in the future, or that they aren't getting resources for the DS from Nintendo.

Hero

The GBA SP's on that forum were supposed to be NDS.

It seems pretty clear that it's going to be huge multiplayer.

Check out Rogue Gamecube's photo post here

He apparently found more than just Pikachu in the puppet pic.

I can definitely see Pika and Kakuna from Pokémon, the tank from Advance Wars and a Pikmin that weren't there pre-Photoshop.

dw2_pika.jpg

marionette_l.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
deadlifter said:
A great summary of this thread and the entire matter at hand, by nintendojo.

http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1096488166

This doesn't mean they can't be funded in the future, or that they aren't getting resources for the DS from Nintendo.

I KNOW they're going to be seeking capital from outside sources in early 2005, because that's what he told me and that's what I pasted in this very thread almost 3 pages back. I'm just frustrated that such an important post with so much info is being ignored.

neptunes

:lol

Nintendojo used my patent image, claiming that they were the first to find it.

The original image had a resolution of 1800x1200 or something (it was big), so I had to shrink it down.(Manually)

Obviously the patent was for the gameboy color.

p.s. -N-sider wont reveal what it is until mid-october, so why get all excited?

Memles

krypt0nian said:
It does say "Find Me" - I think someone may have.

And Recon units are able to see the furthest out of all the AW units.

Fuck, I won't let myself be drawn any further into this.

I'm going to go ahead and clear up a misconception that has given me quite a headache and hours of time spent putting out fires.

purog is simply an anagram / acronym combo. Arranged it spells "Group". It also stands for Players United Revolutionizing Online Gaming. Do with it as you please. Now everyone nod like you understand and tell my lawyer to quit calling.

.deetnaraug si ssenippah tuo dna gnimaerd sseltniop on s'erehT - peels ot deen ylerar ew ,.V.I yb deF .deen ew gnihtyreve nevig er'eW ;derotinom yltcirts si gniht elttil yreve dnA .nialpxe ot drah ti dnif ecafrus eht morf elpoeP ? niap htiw evil yhw ? regnad ni evil yhw .eb nac ereht efil drah woh swohs ecafrus eht rof sweN .em dna uoy rof efas s'ti ,lortnoc dna trofmoc s'erehT .raw detanimile ew nehw draeppasid yltsom ti dnA lla ta esu on sah ti devorp ecneics a sa gnideerB .eromyna melborp a hcus ton s'tI ;srotsecna ruo rof melborp a saw evoL .enihcam dna elpoep neewteb ecnereffid eht llet t'nac I dnA enituor tsuj s'ti won ,drah saw ti ecnO .semoh ruo edistuo pets ot negyxo htiw sknat ruo llif eW - semod retawrednu ,sdop gnitibrO

Band named Quasi - Here

Song lyrics to Our Happiness Is Guaranteed

Orbiting pods, underwater domes - We fill our tanks with oxygen to step outside our homes. Once it was hard, now it's just routine And I can't tell the difference between people and machine. Love was a problem for our ancestors; It's not such a problem anymore. Breeding as a science proved it has no use at all And it mostly disappeard when we eliminated war. There's comfort and control, it's safe for you and me. News for the surface shows how hard life there can be. why live in danger ? why live with pain ? People from the surface find it hard to explain. And every little thing is strictly monitored; We're given everything we need. Fed by I.V., we rarely need to sleep - There's no pointless dreaming and out happiness is guaranteed.

epmode

krypt0nian said:
Band named Quasi - Here

Song lyrics to Our Happiness Is Guaranteed

Orbiting pods, underwater domes - We fill our tanks with oxygen to step outside our homes. Once it was hard, now it's just routine And I can't tell the difference between people and machine. Love was a problem for our ancestors; It's not such a problem anymore. Breeding as a science proved it has no use at all And it mostly disappeard when we eliminated war. There's comfort and control, it's safe for you and me. News for the surface shows how hard life there can be. why live in danger ? why live with pain ? People from the surface find it hard to explain. And every little thing is strictly monitored; We're given everything we need. Fed by I.V., we rarely need to sleep - There's no pointless dreaming and out happiness is guaranteed.
awesome.

that song is great, btw. too bad quasi kinda sucks now.

Mashing

Hmmm, this is getting very interesting... I'm reserving judgement, but I'm cautiously hopeful. At this point I know it'll be something, but if that something is groundbreaking... that remains to be seen.

Nester

Craig Majaski said:
I Love Bees.

Only with less life threatening circumstances, I would hope. I went to the Minneapolis phone booth the day after it was put up on the Ilovebees website. When I got there, there was this huge guy standing in front of the phone. When I went to use the phone, he raised his fist at me and told me to go find a different phone to use. :(

Scalemail Ted said:
Why's everyone getting so excited???? What's there to be excited about????

Answers to be found in 5 pages of thread.

Or in this fairly well done summary from N-forums...

Okay, since the hints are probably going to slow down until the weekend, I'm going to compile a list of questions that we can or can't answer about this mystery. It can also serve as a summary of this mystery up to this point. I'll post my best thoughts, and if anyone has better guesses, feel free to post them.
Here they are, sort of in order from general to specific.

What does this secret involve?
-We know it involves the DS, multiplayer games, and Warp Pipe. It is said to "revolutionize" multiplayer games, and is a feature that's currently unknown about the DS.

What is N-Sider's involvement?
-N-Sider (namely Dean) is involved because it has the exclusive story, to be revealed in mid- to late October.

What is Warp Pipe's involvement?
-Warp Pipe is working on a service that will launch in America and Japan Q4 2004 and the rest of the world Q1-Q2 2005. Warp Pipe will not be paid by the consumer, yet is being paid somehow, whether through a bigger entity or by donations. The Warp Pipe logo may appear on box art of games, and certain developers also know this "secret", probably because it will be utilized in the development of games. Chad has also stated that this is not tunneling.

What is Nintendo's involvement?
-If this secret is hardware-related, Nintendo is surely involved. The fact that this will "revolutionize" multiplayer gaming gives me the impression that Nintendo has a part in this. If something this big could be done solely through software, Nintendo will probably do it themselves, rather than relying on a third party (although this wasn't the case with the GameCube's online modes). Though some comments have been made wondering why Nintendo would allow Dean and Chad to give so many hints, Matt from IGN did a very similar thing before E3 2004 hinting at the new Zelda, and Nintendo didn't interfere. It is probably in Nintendo's best interests to stay out of this and let it build up hype. However, there is the possibility that Nintendo is not involved and this is solely between Warp Pipe and third-party developers. This is possible, but again, not likely. A company with a Mario-themed name and logo probably would not be allowed to profit without Nintendo's consent.

Does this involve hardware or software?
-Well, it does not directly involve any specific game franchises, so Pokemon and Animal Crossing aren't part of the riddle. If this is software-related, it's certainly on a much larger scale, probably incorporated into every multiplayer game. It could also be an unrevealed piece of hardware or hardware capability, whether built in to the DS or a peripheral that can be inserted into the GBA slot. At this time, I have a hard time believing that Warp Pipe can manufacture accessories on its own, so in the event that it's a peripheral, they must be working under Majesco, Logitech, another third-party accessory manufacturer, or Nintendo.

What do the hints mean?
-The first picture/clue (the forest one) suggests that the DS can "see" other DS's in its vicinity. The range of this "sight" may be what has been thus far understated.
-The second picture (the marionette) again suggests that the DS can find other units. However, it may be related to physically finding another player while you are playing against them. The term "marionette" could represent wireless play, "puppeting" another system, or a network code-named "MarioNET".
-The third picture (eyeless dude) again gives the idea that the DS can "see" users that the player cannot. The bottom screen says "anti-isolation", suggesting that this new feature will encourage more social gaming.
-Chad's first clue (DS's with names) seems to say that multiplayer gaming over the DS will be less anonymous. It could mean that the DS has a buddy list feature, or that users will have certain distinguishing features to make them more unique. The names used in the hint (Jon, Tushar, Jord, Tony) are forum members/team members of Warp Pipe, and are probably not meant to represent anything more than Chad's friends.
-Chad's second clue (the Ilovebees one) again implies that this service will not involve sitting in a dark room and fighting anonymous foes. The DS will be more social and more personal.
-The Magellan clue, in my opinion, can only stand for one thing: this service will reach every DS-enabled corner of the globe.

Top Bottom