• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami HD |OT|

Animekatt

Nah screen tearing is terrible.

With that said it's nice that there's a solution.

I had to look up screen tearing like some others in the thread. I had a different idea than what was really the true screen tearing. Yeah it's not something to have to go through if you can avoid it. I've honestly haven't had any problems with that. I'm running the game at full 1080p on a 46in LED.

I am glad too that there's a solution to that.

StuBurns

Banned
I've gone back to 1080p, it tears quite a lot in the river of heavens, but no where else so far, where as the 720p has frequent top of the frame tearing that's just as irritating. I could go 720p and turn on overscan, but that's probably not worth the inconvenience with the other things I use the PS3 for, 1080p it is.

JoeFenix

I went back to 1080p and like others have said, after the river of heaven it's been flawless in terms of tearing.

I'm loving this port, it really does justice to the original and shows alot of care and respect for the source material.

Happy with my purchase, the ability to forward non cutscene texts really makes the game more enjoyable. Can finaly wash the taste of that awful Wii version out of my mouth.

Bought this on the PS2 back in the day and never picked up the Wii edition despite its critical acclaim -- is the annoying audio gibberish still in? It was literally the only thing that annoyed me. I could live with screen tearing, I would not be able to live with that noise.

JoeFenix

Bought this on the PS2 back in the day and never picked up the Wii edition despite its critical acclaim -- is the annoying audio gibberish still in? It was literally the only thing that annoyed me. I could live with screen tearing, I would not be able to live with that noise.

It's still in and it's part of the charm, I couldn't imagine the game without it at this point.

I can see why it would bother some people but the game is really godlike masterpiece tier and is worth playing regardless of your initial dislike for the gibberish.

Basicaly, deal with it and buy it!

RPGCrazied

I do now see it tear at 720p at the very top. I think I can deal with that, I don't like it when its in the middle of the screen.

Ein Bear

Just played the first hour of this, and wow, this is one of the best HD remasters released so far. All the UI stuff has been redrawn, and it actually runs at full 1080p instead of 720 like 90% of these HD ports do. Really impressed with it, looks absolutely amazing.

Zia

As I said, I'm not sensitive to the stuff, but I'm glad I wasn't completely off the mark in regard to the tearing. Maybe they can get a patch out to rectify the issues with The River of the Heavens. Still, makes me wonder what Edge was on about...

hayguyz

Banned
Only got to play this for about 1.5 hours last night because of trick-or-treating, but damn I love this game. This is one of my favorite games of all time. dat art, dat music, dat brush

I also feel that it's the best Zelda since Majora's Mask.

I haven't noticed any screen tearing. I'm not looking for it though.

What the hell is up with OKAMI HD (Download Ver.) in the xmb? It looks incredibly tacky and stupid.

StuBurns

Banned
Just played the first hour of this, and wow, this is one of the best HD remasters released so far. All the UI stuff has been redrawn, and it actually runs at full 1080p instead of 720 like 90% of these HD ports do. Really impressed with it, looks absolutely amazing.
Many remasters have decided to double the framerate however.

Mesoian

Only got to play this for about 1.5 hours last night because of trick-or-treating, but damn I love this game. This is one of my favorite games of all time. dat art, dat music, dat brush

I also feel that it's the best Zelda since Majora's Mask.

I haven't noticed any screen tearing. I'm not looking for it though.

What the hell is up with OKAMI HD (Download Ver.) in the xmb? It looks incredibly tacky and stupid.

Agreed, I wish Sony would stop making the classifications part of the title. The Journey Collection is the same way with everything you download off the disc being classified as an "install".

Gaogaogao

if you aint ever played it, PLAY IT. Its a long game, with alot of value. although im having trouble rationalizing buying all these games again in HD that ive already played.

Disappointed in the lack of Dolby Digital. Booo. Also sad that they didn't make the option to mute voice sounds. It's so annoying.

Oh man, so much this. Such an incredible game, I feel like this may actually prevent people from enjoying it. My wife cant stand being in the room with it, despite loving the visuals and the gameplay. Even I find it difficult to tolerate, though it's not gonna stop me.

Here's an interesting post regarding the transition to HD from HexaDrive, the company responsible for the HD port.

http://hexadrive.sblo.jp/article/59698038.html (Japanese)

Initially, the project had started with 720p native resolution, but somewhere during development they decided to try to push the limits and aim for a higher resolution in order to give the art some justice.

2012-11-01.png

Here's an interesting post regarding the transition to HD from HexaDrive, the company responsible for the HD port.

Initially, the project had started with 720p native resolution, but somewhere during development they decided to try to push the limits and aim for a higher resolution in order to give the art some justice.

I'm glad it is 1080p. It looks sharp on my tv.

+1

Game looks fucking amazing

Macka

I'm downloading now - I didn't realise it was out! I'm pretty excited - the game is easily in my top 5 games of all-time, and really I'm glad to hear that the HD conversion was done well.

I heard the motion controls are improved, and different from the Wii version? Are the controls for the combat better at all?

2012-11-01.png
I wish this were on the PC. 2K resolution with Okami would be some amazing stuff a couple of years from now.

Oh, I looked up Hexadrive too. It seems like the founder(Masakazu Matsushita) was also the lead programmer for Powerstone 2 on the arcade and dreamcast versions. Based on what they've done with Rez and Okami.... you know what to do, Capcom.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think 4K is going to add all that much, despite the wonderful art direction, there is texture and effects work that shows it's last gen origins, certainly you could clear it up further, make it 60fps etc, but I think resolution can only take you so far without major asset revision.

I'm about six hours in now, and loving it, this is only my second real play through, and it's been long enough that while feeling familiar, I don't really know where to go next at any point.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
The text isn't skippable in everything. Just in parts that aren't cutscenes. It's exactly like this in the first game. I have no idea why people keep saying it's skippable.

Stop it got dammit.

randomkid

The text isn't skippable in everything. Just in parts that aren't cutscenes. It's exactly like this in the first game. I have no idea why people keep saying it's skippable.

Stop it got dammit.

This is something that's been in the back of my mind ever since these euphoric reports of text skipping started. I definitely remember occasionally being able to speed through text in Okami PS2. How is this version different? Did they bump up the number of text-skipping opportunities?

Eusis

I don't think 4K is going to add all that much, despite the wonderful art direction, there is texture and effects work that shows it's last gen origins, certainly you could clear it up further, make it 60fps etc, but I think resolution can only take you so far without major asset revision.
Like I said still art, so long as the sources are there and are very high resolution, stand to benefit way more. Seeing that in 4K would be crazy, even if the boost for the rest of the game was shockingly subtle.

And I imagine it's possible to patch in a scene skip, which is more than can be said for the PS2 version.

Top Bottom