• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okamiden |OT| The SQUEE-quel! Put down your Pokeymans!

Cranzor

I just played the demo and LOVED it. I've never played Okami before either. I can't get it at launch unfortunately... Will those preorder items be hard to find in maybe a month? That stylus is awesome. Cannot wait to play it eventually.

depward

olimpia84 said:
I've checked a few sites and can't find anything on the pre-order bonus. Which retailers are offering it?

Gamestop was apparently offering the pre-order bonus of the stylus and cleaning cloth... but those bonuses no longer appear on the site. The capcom store was offering the plushie, but apparently there has been a large demand and they're telling those who have ordered that some may receive it with their order; others may have to wait for a separate shipment.

I've heard those who have pre-ordered at Gamestop have gotten texts saying to pick up their game this afternoon (Friday). Anyone confirm (this is for the U.S.)?

Got my copy! Just walked in and walked out, didn't even preorder for it. Guess GameStop isn't totally garbage.

wqF9F.jpg

TripOpt55

I got my copy from Gamestop today with the little pre-order bonuses. I'll be trying it out once I finish up some other work I have to do.

Zips

Argh.

I headed off to try and squeeze in a semi-last minute pre-order for the bonuses, and was faced with EB apparently having told its locations to release the game a week early...so there goes my ability to get the pre-order bonuses.

Picked up my copy as soon as I got off work! ^_^ Sadly, the DSL that I have around the house is broke (half of the bottom screen doesn't display properly). Either I can try to play on an improperly working or wait til I get my 3DS on the 29th (ordered it from Amazon). I guess I'll just put it aside, forget about it until my 3DS comes in the mail :/ lol Thank God I have other games on my plate. Back to Dragon Age II, I'll go.

Volcynika

Just got this email

Thank you for ordering from Capcom Entertainment, Inc. on January 17, 2011.

We are contacting you to inform you that the following product(s) have shipped. If you paid by credit card, your credit card has now been charged.

Shipping Information
Product Name Serial Number Tracking Number
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okamiden --
Okamiden Plush --

Ballin'

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Criminal Upper said:
Is this breaking street date? I thought it was suppose to come out the 15th?

I don't think it was ever officially street dated. The 15th was just the originally expected ship date.

Volcynika said:
Just got this email

Ballin'

Nice. I got it too. I guess they might be sending it out on a FIFO basis? I made my order a couple months ago.

TwiztidElf

The DS probably has had the best closing curtain of any platform ever. Going out with a huge bang.

This, Golden Sun DD, 999, Pokemon B/W, and a stellar port of Plants V Zombies.
My DS backlog dwarfs my other platform backlogs combined.

kunonabi

TwiztidElf said:
The DS probably has had the best closing curtain of any platform ever. Going out with a huge bang.

This, Golden Sun DD, 999, Pokemon B/W, and a stellar port of Plants V Zombies.
My DS backlog dwarfs my other platform backlogs combined.

Don't forget Radian Historia,Ghost Trick, and DQVI

Heart Attack said:
just a question which will decide whether i pick this up or not. How's the FRAMERATE?
I've only played for an hour or so but it definitely chugs when you've got someone riding on Chibi.

sfried

Crewnh said:
I've only played for an hour or so but it definitely chugs when you've got someone riding on Chibi.
Been playing it but so far everything is smooth.

That said, most technically impressive 3D engine on DS.
ZealousD said:
Or Super Scribblenauts and Sonic Colors!
Or Monster Tale.

If you could even consider it a send-off, then perhaps the DS has the best of them all.

I want this game too but I'm already spending $500 on the 3DS and 5 games this month. Just paid $150 for my liability insurance, and donated $20 for Japan to the Red Cross. Already bought Pokémon Black this month too.

I also still need to finish up Ghost Trick, play Golden Sun & Layton 3.

However I wish I ordered from Capcom's store...I wanted that plushie!

TripOpt55

I played a bit of this last night and love it so far. It's pretty basic since it's the beginning, but it's been fun so far.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
I imported the Japanese version, but I was somewhat disappointed. I really enjoyed Ōkami (to the extent that it's the only "Zelda" I've ever finished), but a great part of the charm was the mythology, the cast of characters and the presentation. However, because this new game reuses so much of the original's locations and characters, the sense of wonder is greatly diminished.

Additionally, the presentation has taken a hit by being on the DS. Yes, it looks decent by virtue of the original's art style, but it's just not as impressive. The pop-in and bad framerate don't help either.

I do feel that the dungeons are more interesting this time around and like the fact that you now have several companions, but this isn't enough to make me fall in love with the world again. It's an adequate sequel/spin-off/whatever you want to call it, but that's not enough.

warpaint said:
So to who have spent time playing it
How is it?
Really impressive. I'm still amazed at how good it looks on the DS.

It's pretty funny too. I think I LOL'ed at some parts mostly because the writing for Issun is humorous.

I only played a little bit but it's definitely Okami. The camera is fixed but that's understandable. The brush controls work perfectly on the DS.

I think Gameinformer said the game is 25 hours long, which is pretty long for a DS adventure game.

Pokemon, this, and Monster Tale is a nice farewell for the DS.

mantidor

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Really impressive. I'm still amazed at how good it looks on the DS.

It's pretty funny too. I think I LOL'ed at some parts mostly because the writing for Issun is humorous.

I only played a little bit but it's definitely Okami. The camera is fixed but that's understandable. The brush controls work perfectly on the DS.

I think Gameinformer said the game is 25 hours long, which is pretty long for a DS adventure game.

Pokemon, this, and Monster Tale is a nice farewell for the DS.

does it have a left-handed mode? or is it unnecessary?

sfried

Primate Ryan said:
Additionally, the presentation has taken a hit by being on the DS. Yes, it looks decent by virtue of the original's art style, but it's just not as impressive. The pop-in and bad framerate don't help either.
I disgress. It's the best showcase on the DS. "Bad framerate" is an exaggerated statement, and the pop-in really isn't a problem since its level-of-priority based. The fact that superfluous stuff like the background "wind" effects are still there and having a nice real-time cutscene engine (instead of just relying on prerecorded FMVs, which they could've easily done) that rivals the DS Zeldas are really show they built this engine from the ground-up.

mantidor said:
does it have a left-handed mode? or is it unnecessary?
Unnecessary, since you summon the Celestial Brush using L or R.

Dartastic

This game is so good. What a fitting send off for the DS. It's actually getting me to put off Pokemon as well... a true testament to it's quality. Yeah, it's got some technical limitations but it totally oozes the same charm as the original Okami. I really hope that Okami gets another shot at a current gen system, and I really hope people give this a shot and put down Pokemon for a bit. I fear Capcom made a major mistake however, by putting this out the same month as Pokemon and the 3DS. Sigh.

RedSwirl

Damn I didn't realize this had already shipped. I'm deciding whether I should spend my time on this or Radiant Historia along with Yakuza 4.

The first game was one of my favorite in a long-ass time because of how well it nailed the Zelda-style exploration elemetn. There was always a secret of significance right around the corner, and every new ability you got opened up even MORE stuff all across the world. Can anyone tell me of Okamiden is the same?

When you think about it this has the potential to be the best DS Zelda game.

TripOpt55

I've played a few hours. I'm past the first boss, plus some little stuff after that. I love it so far. I like the new partner stuff, the boss fight was fun, the celestial brush works great with the touch screen. I thought the whole switching screen thing might feel odd but it doesn't. Neither does moving around with a d-pad because the camera sort of works with you most of the time. Very good so far and the story seems interesting. Pretty funny too.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hardcore Okami fan, and I haven't made up my mind yet. The game looks and animates absolutely phenomenally-- without question the best looking game I've played in 3D on the DS. There are some spots where the performance is really just not okay, but it's a tradeoff I'd make overall considering what the game looks like. The music is also really nice...but to be honest, I get confused between what is a remix (and that awful beginning section they added to Shinshuu Plains) and what is new. None of it could be new, I wouldn't be able to tell since Okami's OST is 5 disks and there's probably music I still haven't even heard from that game.

Unquestionably, all the spirit of Okami is here. Wonderful translation and funny writing, the cuteness is at 15606/10, the characters are all brimming with personality, and everything looks as it should. The
underwater demon market was genuinely clever and the facemask thing was so funny.

It's just major deja vu so far. There aren't enough new things! Same powers, same people, same locations (just downsized or "reimagined"), same basic plot (and I mean the events of Okamiden basically reinterpret or mirror the events in Okami in structure and setting...).

I have a few hours logged now and I'm in the
sunken water "temple" now
. I'm really waiting for the game to engage me with its gameplay. So far I've felt like I've done a lot of sidequests and very, very small pieces of puzzle rooms. I felt like I haven't really been in a dungeon yet even though I think I'm almost finished with this one. The puzzles are not very imaginative and the mechanics are so bite-sized that I just feel like I haven't done anything yet.

Okami took until the Tsuta Ruins, I think, to really begin, so I'm still giving this one time. But I'm getting worried this game isn't going to have it's Moon Cave moment.

I don't have a problem with difficulty/easiness because (at least in Okami) the mechanics were so satisfying and the aesthetic rewards were so captivating that I'd do anything to see them. But in this case, the visuals took a big hit and the mechanics themselves aren't as fresh or applied as well (seriously, drawing the constellations?), so I'm just waiting to have that a-ha moment. Sometimes I'm stumped by "puzzles" because the solutions are so easy that I don't even consider them.

The game has this interesting problem where it feels like it's best suited for people who have never played Okami (or a console Zelda) and maybe only a handheld Zelda, where a puzzle room like "defeat all the enemies" would be somewhat standard, but full enjoyment requires previous knowledge of all the characters and the story.

I'm gonna keep playing of course and hope for a real meaty dungeon soon.

I think one of my favorite things about Okami was just how right Kamiya got movement in 3d space...the way Amaterasu animated, how she gradually sped up, how she jumped and lunged...a lot of that is lost with a stupid dpad.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Melhisedek said:
Do I need to have played previous one first or can I just go with this one?
You can definitely start here if you want, but Okami is really not to be missed. I think it could be my favorite game of all time. Top 5 for sure.

jvalioli

How bad are the performance problems? Similar to Okami on PS2, which had framerate drops with Amy running in large areas?

As far as I'm concerned, Okami is one of the best games ever, definitely the prettiest. This is unsurprising considering my avatar. It's been almost half a decade since I finished the original, so I'd relish the opportunity to explore the same world again. I'm just glad there's a sequel at all after the negative sales of Okamiden's predecessor.

Top Bottom