• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus one officially announced! 299$ 16GB, 350$ 64GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Blue

I wasn't interested in this phone but lately its been really tempting me. That charcoal 64gb version looks sexy as hell, and I'm not sure I want to re-up on another 2 year contract come march. How's the Android L rollout looking on this one?

Over on XDA a dev has a CM12 5.0 dev build out that I'm using as a daily driver. Hard to notice any real problems with it.

M_A_C

So I tied to preorder, but after the processing payment with PayPal, it went to an error screen. However, I got a pending payment in PayPal so I decided not to try again. No confirmation email from OnePlus.

Anyone know what I should do, I don't know if I have a phone on order or not.

Edit: So the order showed up. 2-3 week wait. I guess it's worth it to try out.

BlazinAm

Were the JB earphones ever available, I know that they had a sale price but it was always listed as coming soon.

Qvoth

yeah i came from galaxy s2, and i found it huge as well
getting used to it though, i still love this thing
i suggest everyone who owns this to root it since it wouldn't void the warranty

Got my OPO. Really not liking the size of the phone. It's way too big for any of the pockets on my trousers. Performance and battery is really good but I think the size will make me sell it or try and get a refund from their terrible customer service.

Hammer24

Banned
Got my OPO. Really not liking the size of the phone. It's way too big for any of the pockets on my trousers. Performance and battery is really good but I think the size will make me sell it or try and get a refund from their terrible customer service.

Keep it for a couple days. You´ll get used to all that screen estate rather quickly.
Now it feels odd to try a smaller phone...

Seanspeed

Banned
Keep it for a couple days. You´ll get used to all that screen estate rather quickly.
Now it feels odd to try a smaller phone...
I see people with iPhone 5's and earlier and they look like little miniatures.

just got my opo. so far so good, it's better looking in person than i thought.
I was even showing it to the people in the phone store and they were all quite impressed, passing it around to each other and everything.

A crying shame to put a case on it, but I'm more comfortable knowing its protected.

Mine ended up being too big so I sold it. It was ridiculous. I couldnt walk upstairs without my headphone cable bending.

Oh well, maybe they'll put out a compact version.

EGM92

Mine ended up being too big so I sold it. It was ridiculous. I couldnt walk upstairs without my headphone cable bending.

They won't. They're doing a 1 product per generation cycle. If the rumours are true though, the OPO2 might be a 5" phone instead of 5.5. If they would just get rid of the giant top and bottom bezels the phone would be so much smaller in form factor.

I have it on eBay now. The final straw was when I was leaving work last night and it almost came out of pocket going down the stairs. If I can't walk down stairs with it safely in my pocket it wouldn't survive a night out or a concert.

I don't know why but I'm still having doubts about this.

My Huawei y300, while being still functional, is clearly giving up on me; I've already juiced from it a few extra months too, with the help of a lightweight custom ROM (praise be to Slimkat, which gave me an excellent experience on an otherwise already defunct device), and now that I've become a somewhat heavy user, I'm starting to feel the pressing need of a really badass daily driver.

Nothing comes close to OPO at that price, I know. Having watched more or less every OPO review on youtube has helped, of course, but I wanna spend the last few hours of my invite reading from the average user experiences.

I would like to know what's bothering you, OPOGAF, after you've had this phone for a while.
Even if you're really very happy with it, there must be something that's even slightly bothering you, right? Or that it didn't bother you at first, but now does, or that's still bothering you after many months of use... Well, then, please, tell me about it.

Tagyhag

Nothing about the phone really bothers me but it is a big phone so if you're not ready for that it can be a pretty jarring change.

All I know is that I can't go back to midget phones ever again.

exYle

So, any news on when this bad boy is getting Lollipop?

That three month limit must be getting close now

Nothing about the phone really bothers me but it is a big phone so if you're not ready for that it can be a pretty jarring change.

Yeah, I know, that preoccupies me a little... I've thought about it a lot, I don't think I'll ever have any problems handling it, since I've got very big hands. Only problem is about pockets, but I already don't use my trousers' pockets very much, while jackets/suits usually have enough pocketroom on the inside of the chest area.
It's probably gonna be like having a second wallet... which is not so great, but surely is manageable.

Yea, same. I was worried about the size and was considering a Nexus 5 instead, but now I'm really glad I went with an OPO.

I wouldn't recommended it to someone who isn't willing to mess around with flashing firmware, but that sounds like it shouldn't be a problem for you.

The hardware itself is still fantastic value for an off contract phone.

Qvoth

i admit it feels huge coming from galaxy s2, but you get used to it after a while
loving this shit so far though, no regrets whatsoever

Seanspeed

Banned
I've taken the case off mine for the past week and a half or so.

I just love how damn slick and high end this phone feels bare.

Yeah, I would recommend rooting as soon as you get it - plus this is one of the few phones where it won't invalidate the warranty.

Hmmm. Should I flash for this, or wait?

Looks like Cyanogen Mod and One Plus is splitting up, this is One Plus own ROM and they have not promised it will work or that they will fix your phone if it doesn't.
To clarify, this is an alpha version of the new ROM that 1+ is developing which is completely separate to the CM11S ROM used by the One. The Lollipop successor to CM11S (likely called CM12S) is still on track for release and Cyanogen Inc still have around a month left to deliver it to make do on the 90 day release promise they've made. This new ROM released today is wholly made by 1+, is based on vanilla lollipop as opposed to cyanogen mod and is completely independent to Cyanogenmod used on the One currently although it will likely be the ROM used on their future phones especially after the breakdown of the relationship with cyanogen inc.

UberTag

As I'm more or less committed to buying one of these shortly, I have a question for OPO GAF...

Am I fine exploring a purchase of a OnePlus One via oppomart.com OR should I play it safe and take the extra time needed to go through the standard invite/pre-order protocol at OnePlus.net?

gcubed

CM is run by man baby douchebags. I can't support them no matter what their quality is. I hope the new vanilla roms come through from one plus and deliver.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Had the phone for a out a month now coming from iPhone 5s. Digging it but definitely too big with slim fit pants of any kind.

Also not liking the lack of Java video playback support and buggy youtube. That's my only real complaint right now but I'm sure there's workarounds I can look into.

MercuryLS

Banned
I got this a few days ago and installed the Liquid Smooth Lollipop Rom. Runs really well but the battery life is just average, haven't had any major issues otherwise.

Great little (big?) phone, but it is taking some getting used to in comparison to the iPhone 5S I had before. I want to use it as a tablet/phone and so far it's pretty great as a mini tablet but it's a bit cumbersome as a phone. My biggest issue with Android phones was the OS, which isn't an issue for me anymore with Lollipop thankfully. Also the apps I've used on the device lack some of the polish that their equivalents on iOS have, hopefully that will change with developers adopting Material Design principles.

The hardware itself is a steal at the price. The build quality is excellent, the sandstone back feels nice and grippy, the screen looks amazing (noticeably sharper than the 5S's screen, but the colors aren't as vibrant and there's higher LCD backlighting on off angles), the processor is blazingly fast and 3gb of ram is a big deal. I can have 10 apps running with multiple tabs and switch between them with almost no reloads. I love that, and it's a huge plus in the OPO's column vs. the iPhone 5S.

I'm going to give it some more time, but I can see this device replacing my iPhone 5S/iPad Mini Retina combo that I've had for a while. That's the only reason I'm getting used to the phablet form factor, I'd prefer to have one device that can do both jobs reasonably well.

GtwoK

Ordered mine Dec 24th and it STILL hasn't shipped, arggghhh. I know that slower-than-normal postal service should be expected this time of year, but it's annoying as all hell that it hasn't even been physically given to USPS yet, even though they had the tracking number / label as of the 26th.

UberTag

No experience with the former. You can find an invite easily enough.
Thanks for the tip. Not only was an invite super easy to obtain but the phone is cheaper direct from the source than from the third-party site that was marking up the price, too.
Placed my order today. Looking forward to its arrival sometime later this month.

beat

CM is run by man baby douchebags. I can't support them no matter what their quality is. I hope the new vanilla roms come through from one plus and deliver.
What the hell happened with CM's deal with Oneplus? This is sheer idiocy on CM's part.

I actually don't use most of CM's customization functions that much, but profiles that switch based on wifi connections are really pretty great.

Tripon

What the hell happened with CM's deal with Oneplus? This is sheer idiocy on CM's part.

I actually don't use most of CM's customization functions that much, but profiles that switch based on wifi connections are really pretty great.
They signed an India exclusivity with another Chinese company and didn't bother to tell OnePlus. Despite the One Plus One launching in India. It is really weird.

UberTag

Thanks for the tip. Not only was an invite super easy to obtain but the phone is cheaper direct from the source than from the third-party site that was marking up the price, too.
Placed my order today. Looking forward to its arrival sometime later this month.
So ummm... DHL tried delivering my phone today. Is a 4-day (only 2 business day) turnaround the norm? Hell, I didn't even think it had shipped yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom