• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

I also lost every arbitration case, despite also offering recommended dollars.

Wonder if there's some logic in the game that looks at the extensions or free agent contracts being signed and uses that for the arbitration math. Some big extensions have happened this offseason.

I lost the cases on my top 4 guys (DeJong, Walker, Jackson, Smith) and won on lower end guys (Pederson, Taylor, Elias). So I assume performance/age/ability matter. Pederson has high ratings but hasn't performed all that well.

Also I only have like $1.55mm in the bank right now. Might have to keep some crappy players around just because they're cheap.

Rommel

Contracts seem a bit weird in 17. Even though I was able to get Ozuna down to a 6 year contract he still demanded an opt-out after the 5th year like he originally had with the initial 8 year request. Wouldn't let me turn it into an option, just had to have that opt-out.

The following players are available for trade. Prospects or a solid reliever are my main targets.

Jake Lamb 3B (Could start for most teams and cheap at 7 mil a year for 4 more years)
Oscar Hernandez C (3 more arb years for a top defensive catcher who won't embarrass himself with the bat)
Michael Brantley LF (Have OF's coming up and need to make room. Solid player at a reasonable 5.5,6.5 and 6.7 with a team option on the 3rd year)
Brandon Drury 2B(Similar story to Brantley, have young guns coming up I want to give some playing time to. Can play 1B, 2B and 3B at a starting level. Likely a 4 WAR player at 2B but he is blocked by Wong. You will be getting 3 years of control with him)
Tim Berry SP (Solid innings eater, middle of the rotation kind of guy. 3 years of control.)
Allen Webster SP(Solid back of the rotation starter I just don't have room for right now. You would have 3 years of team control.)

Rommel

Interesting. Never noticed the relationship tab under coaches. Something about Chip Hale and pitchers lol

zoK2Bfg.png

I won a couple of arbitrations, and was hosed on two.

I still can't believe I have a 21 rated dude on the books for three years at 17.4M per. He's trash and I'm stuck with him.

Luckily everyone else is super cheap.

I still can't believe I have a 21 rated dude on the books for three years at 17.4M per. He's trash and I'm stuck with him.

Now imagine how everyone in the Angels front office not named Arte Moreno feels!

And the Mests during the pay Bobby Bonilla forever era.

Bad contracts are painful.

Rommel

Be sure to download the new patch

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boa...tp-17-update-2-version-17-5-43-available.html

Compared to the version 17.4.37 the update contains the following changes:
- Improved 2016 MLB roster sets (need to start new game for changes to apply)
- Fixed crash issues on some Macs & PCs when playing out games in 3D mode
- Fixed compatibility issues with Mac OSX 10.7 and 10.8.
- Fixed problems with the draft pool containing too many players in historical games with historical minors
- Added the early Pacific Coast League to the historical minor league database starting in 1921
- Fixed issues with out of whack league total modifiers in some historical minor leagues
- Teams without affiliated minor leagues now have access to a reserve roster even when the 40-man roster rule is in effect
- Unaffiliated minor league teams now have access to a reserve roster
- Added the option to set a fee for players being purchased from unaffiliated minor league teams (minor league setup, rules tab)
- Added logos for the new West Virginia Black Bears
- Fixed draft order issues in 2016 MLB game
- Fixed memory leaks which may have resulted in crashes is long term simulations
- Fixed a bug that caused news / injury / transaction logs not being erased according to the setting
- Tweaked pitcher fatigue recovery, compared to OOTP 16 starting pitchers recovered too quickly
- Tweaked trade AI for injured players
- Tweaked scouting of young pitchers, lessening the effect of scout preference a bit (high ability preference used to underrate pitchers too often)
- Added real lineups for 1906 and 1907
- Fixed several small bugs and cosmetic issues

brentech

Sim: 3 days
Current in-game date: Dec. 1, 2019
Notes: Free Agency is now open. Get to bidding, I suggest you start with your best offer or close to it. Good players don't come cheap. Be warned!

PROTECT PLAYERS with the 40 man roster that you don't want to lose! Rule 5 Draft is about 2 real days around the corner.

Rommel

Sim: 3 days
Current in-game date: Dec. 1, 2019
Notes: Free Agency is now open. Get to bidding, I suggest you start with your best offer or close to it. Good players don't come cheap. Be warned!

PROTECT PLAYERS with the 40 man roster that you don't want to lose! Rule 5 Draft is about 2 real days around the corner.

Woo good thing I decided to extend Ozuna instead of taking a shot at Puig. 36.5 over 8... woosh..

Springer is still available. Looking for a prospect that's at the MLB level or close. Can throw guys back to increase the quality of the prospect. He's making a very reasonable $10m in 2020!

Seattle is looking to move second basemen or first basemen or both. I need a CFer!

Players I'm willing to listen to offers on:

Ketel Marte (fomrer ROTY, elite defensive 2B/SS)
Chris Taylor (cheap elite defensive 2B/SS)
Mikey White (AAA) (ML ready 2B)
DJ Peterson (above average defensive 1B, still young with untapped potential!)
Dan Vogelbach (AAA, but is a ML ready hitter, probably more of a DH)
Eric Hosmer (3 win 1B!)
Brad Miller (lefty hitting SS with some pop!)

Anyone else having trouble getting the new update to download? I've tried 6 or 7 times and it fails at the end every time. The mirror server is snail like as well. I'm kind of stuck. Bad time to be locked out of making changes.

Anyone else having trouble getting the new update to download? I've tried 6 or 7 times and it fails at the end every time. The mirror server is snail like as well. I'm kind of stuck. Bad time to be locked out of making changes.
You should be okay if the patch isn't out on steam yet as that's what Brent uses.

brentech

Sim: 4 days
Current in-game date: Dec. 5, 2019
Notes: Last day to protect players from the Rule 5 draft. Free Agency is open.
PROTECT PLAYERS with the 40 man roster that you don't want to lose! You will be able to create your Rule 5 Draft list tomorrow.

If the player has a # at the end of their name on the roster, they can be taken in the draft. Must be on the 40 man roster to protect them. LAST DAY TO DO SO.
I'll probably have to do this for Eznark. Think he is still out of town.

My issue resolved itself right after posting and the download finally completed in full. Fwiw, I'm not running 17 on steam. I'd never had any issue with OOTP before, so iduno.

Any hyuman gonna pay Puig, Greinke, or Hamels? Yowza! I mean, even if their price came down a fair bit, they'd STILL be getting overpaid for who they are and/or their age, etc.

Are the Yankees human controlled now? Spend till it hurts boyz! Beat 'em (or not) with the bank!

brentech

Yankees on paper is controlled by a person, but he hasn't done anything since claiming " I'll take the Yankees". So to me, if someone else wants them, they're available.

Yankees on paper is controlled by a person, but he hasn't done anything since claiming " I'll take the Yankees". So to me, if someone else wants them, they're available.

Let me strip them blind in the draft first!

No clue if they've even got anyone.

What I'm discovering with the three day advances is you have to go high or go home on the offers. I'm hitting up guys for more than they are asking for, and still losing them to other teams. Zero chance to renegotiate as that window passes with an advance.

It's funny to log in to see an email from the player's agent asking for more money, then a follow up email from the next day saying they signed with a different team. Not much I can do there, buddy boy!

brentech

What I'm discovering with the three day advances is you have to go high or go home on the offers. I'm hitting up guys for more than they are asking for, and still losing them to other teams. Zero chance to renegotiate as that window passes with an advance.

It's funny to log in to see an email from the player's agent asking for more money, then a follow up email from the next day saying they signed with a different team. Not much I can do there, buddy boy!

Yeah, I really wasn't kidding here:

brentech

Sim: 1 days
Current in-game date: Dec. 6, 2019

Rule 5 Draft is tomorrow. Make your list if you want a player.
To see who is available and to make a list - click the League GOBL button between your manager and team button. Select Rule 5 Draft Pool, then select the lower tab for 'Draft List'.
From there, you can drag players from the left onto the draft list on the right. Put them in order of who you would want first if you have more than 1 player.

Rule 5 Draft questions:

1) Does the game simulate all 10 rounds when you do a single advance, or does it do a certain number?

2) When creating my list, I have the options of selecting more than one player per round, with either the "and' or "or' qualifier. But realistically, I'm only going to get one pick per round, correct?

3) If the answer to my second question is affirmative, is there any reason to list more than one player in my first round list? I have the first pick, so I'm assuming I get whoever I want in the first round.

brentech

Rule 5 Draft questions:

1) Does the game simulate all 10 rounds when you do a single advance, or does it do a certain number?

2) When creating my list, I have the options of selecting more than one player per round, with either the "and' or "or' qualifier. But realistically, I'm only going to get one pick per round, correct?

3) If the answer to my second question is affirmative, is there any reason to list more than one player in my first round list? I have the first pick, so I'm assuming I get whoever I want in the first round.

Being that is a Rule 5 draft, any player you would want, you must really want on your active roster. So use OR if you actually want more than 1 guy, and then use the GM actions button to select copy to all rounds. Quick and easy way to draft who you want, the game will take the first guy you list first, next round, the next guy if he is available and so on.
Works the same way for the normal first year player draft as well.

Being that is a Rule 5 draft, any player you would want, you must really want on your active roster. So use OR if you actually want more than 1 guy, and then use the GM actions button to select copy to all rounds. Quick and easy way to draft who you want, the game will take the first guy you list first, next round, the next guy if he is available and so on.
Works the same way for the normal first year player draft as well.

Thanks! Have you seen my active roster? I have what one might call a lack of talent. :)

Last question: I deliberately have six open spots on my active roster, and 8 in my 40-man roster. If there are six legit prospects in this draft that are better than my current option, I can shoot for six rounds in the draft? I imagine the game won't allow me to go over that, unless I'm willing to move/cut certain guys on my current roster.

Apologize for the questions...never read up much on the rule 5 draft.

brentech

Going into the draft, you will need to have the amount of spots open that you want to draft.
When I run the draft, it's just a one shot deal. The whole thing runs, so you have to be sure of who you want and in what order.

Again, this will be the same deal for the first year player draft, but most people only pick out their top 5-10 prospects on those because there has been a big dropoff in talent there lately.

Going into the draft, you will need to have the amount of spots open that you want to draft.
When I run the draft, it's just a one shot deal. The whole thing runs, so you have to be sure of who you want and in what order.

Again, this will be the same deal for the first year player draft, but most people only pick out their top 5-10 prospects on those because there has been a big dropoff in talent there lately.

Thanks again! Appreciate the explanation and patience. People aren't kidding when they say you pick up a lot of baseball knowledge playing this.

brentech

Is Puig clinically insane asking for $36 mill a year?

Their asking price goes down over time, but yeah, it's crazy. Then again, a team like the Yankees will probably screw us all over and meet the demands of him and another rich contract. They did it last season.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So in a separate new game I started of OOTP 17, I signed a Cuban free agent and his listed age was like 21, but when I signed him he ended up being like 32. Was this in previous games? I can't recall...

brentech

So in a separate new game I started of OOTP 17, I signed a Cuban free agent and his listed age was like 21, but when I signed him he ended up being like 32. Was this in previous games? I can't recall...

I never saw the gap be that large, but yeah, in last years game we had a player lie about this age and he was actually younger I believe

brentech

Sim: 1 days
Current in-game date: Dec. 7, 2019
Notes: Rule 5 Draft is complete. Continue to work on signing free agents. We'll do another day or two of 3 day sims before picking up the pace to 7 day sims. Again, make good offers as we're going to start moving quick.

Currently processing, file will be available in 5-10 min.

Top Bottom