• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: The Order 1886 deserves* a sequel

I literally just finished beating this today. I think the game is pretty mediocre in all areas except visuals but would like a sequel to see where the story goes next.

A problem for me was that the story to this game felt like a prologue to a more interesting narrative. It felt like just as things were getting interesting, the fucking game ends. I want to see Steampunk English Batman, damnit!

Since we're getting a Knack fucking 2, sure, I would love a sequel to this.

The difference is that Knack probably cost a fifth the amount to develop than TO1886 did. And Knack sold more, even if some of those were bundled copies.

Jesus christ, the wrath of dissapointed gamers is real.

I sure do hope that no one from the internal team at Ready at Dawn sees this thread.

Why? I haven't read the whole topic, but isn't it mostly people expressing disappointment at the missed potential?!

Blueingreen

The game had a ton of potential and an excellent groundwork, but it was just poorly directed that's what makes it even more frustrating. It's almost like they browsed a GAF thread for annoying trends in AAA shooter game design forced walking sections, unskipable cutscenes, short length, cliff hanger ending, no multiplayer, QTE's what were they thinking?

They say they were influenced by Uncharted 2 which makes me wonder if we played the same game because almost none of Uncharted 2's qualities were present in this game. It just goes to show whenever a developer say's "we were influenced by X game" take that with a pinch of salt it because it's seems to used to add a sense of hype to a somewhat lacking final product. I recently saw an interview with them a few months ago and the denial is still strong, they spent most of the time talking about tech, darting around the poor reception before calling it a "developers game" which I interpret is another word for a tech demo, RAD clearly has no passion for game design gathered from that interview.

As a bit of a Sony fan, and a sucker for good graphics, who liked the setting and world building, I thought this game was going to be tailor made for me.

Nope, didn't like it. I quit after a few hours.

Would be totally up for the team trying again though, it seemed like a beautifully crafted AAA title in everything but the game-play/fun.

Jesus christ, the wrath of dissapointed gamers is real.

I sure do hope that no one from the internal team at Ready at Dawn sees this thread.

Lol. I do sometimes feel bad about ripping on some games here so hard knowing there's a decent chance the devs might see it, but you have to call things out for what they are. As long as you do it respectfully to the actual people involved without getting personal (I have no personal problems with you Order devs! Only your game), and the devs aren't thin skinned, I think it's more constructive than sugar coating it. If you ever want a sequel to improve on what came before, they need to know what people didn't like.

Muninn

Banned
I would buy a sequel. I think this game is derided too much. For me it is a 20 dollar simulator for whatever art they have on the screen. I can take it. Shot, simply, decent. Nothing gonna change your life but I had a fun time.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I would buy a sequel. I think this game is derided too much. For me it is a 20 dollar simulator for whatever art they have on the screen. I can take it. Shot, simply, decent. Nothing gonna change your life but I had a fun time.

I think price-point was the big problem. The game's sole component isn't nearly long or varied enough (or providing in enough gameplay) to justify the $60 price, even with the presentation.

On top of that, it's very hard to replay because you can't skip any of the numerous and often lengthy cutscenes.

Muninn

Banned
It sure has its problems, but in retrospect IDK it's a decent game for the fiver they are asking and it's worth experiencing IMO because the art is amazing. Just having fun with a cool game and walking around and shooting a bit can actually be okay for video games IMO. I really like soaking up the atmosphere in this game.

Of course it could have been a lot better. But it is what it is. I don't get the massive hyperbole on store for this one either.

Top Bottom