• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: The Order 1886 deserves* a sequel

The game is 6 hours long, has no other modes and only one boss which they have to repeat 3 times.

99% sure that isn't the game they wanted to make.

They were all in on the narrative. It stands to reason things like extra game modes were probably not high on the priority list. Using the "big bad corporation rushed them it's not really their fault" is just a cop out. There were no indications that development of The Order was troubled or that they clashed with Sony. They made the game they wanted to make, it just turns out what they wanted to make made for a very shallow video game.

The game world is excellent, the gameplay could have been better! I made a video about the changes that would make a sequel better and Andrea Pessino, co-founder of Ready At Dawn, wrote 'Thank you for your feedback!' https://twitter.com/AndreaPessino/status/576068618116472832

He and Ru Weerasuriya were on the Game Informer podcast (1h:40m mark) and I think they came as close to revealing at sequel is on the way without saying anything. I'm hopeful that it will make its debut at Sony's E3 2017 press conference.
That podcast sounded more like PR talk to get the interviewer to stop asking them about The Order and to focus it more on "well ask the publisher about the sequel, who is Sony", which is a classic PR move.
A sequel is not going to happen. Ever. Let us move on and break the cycle which is periodic threads, necro-bump-threads, and posts asking for an Order: 1886 sequel.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The Order was pure trash in just about every way outside of visuals. I don't know what potential people see in this as a franchise.

There is literally zero potential for this game. The actual concept is not exactly well explored and the team showed blatant disdain for basic game design while doing it. Straight up if this game wasn't as pretty as it is no one would give a shit about it.

The Order was pure trash in just about every way outside of visuals. I don't know what potential people see in this as a franchise.

Literally the most vague sense of "ideas" which the game didn't explore at all plus amazing visuals. If a sequel is made I pray to god that Ru guy has absolutely nothing to do with it because he looks like one of the worst leads I've ever seen on a AAA title.

TalonJH

I bought it at release and enjoyed it for what it was. It's nowhere in my top 50 or anything but I would enjoy a sequel.

People went over negative on it because they thought it was going to be a Victorian Gears game(admittedly, I would enjoy that).

I bought it at release and enjoyed it for what it was. It's nowhere in my top 50 or anything but I would enjoy a sequel.

People went over negative on it because they thought it was going to be a Victorian Gears game(admittedly, I would enjoy that).

I mean, if you ignore all of the legitimate reasons people were negative on it I guess you could come to that conclusion.

Just because the premise is excellent doesn't mean it deserves a sequel. Nothing about the original game beyond its premise and graphics is beyond mediocre. There are several Sony titles that deserves a remake or reboot over The Order and its a shame because I genuinely believe it could've been a special new franchise.

Best wishes.

Curufinwe

If they did go ahead and make a sequel, I would really love if they could integrate some of the best fictional characters from that time such as Van Helsing, Dracula, Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, Dr. Frankenstein and his creature, Sherlock Holmes/Dr. Watson and Professor Moriarty, among others.

So a Penny Dreadful game?

They were all in on the narrative. It stands to reason things like extra game modes were probably not high on the priority list. Using the "big bad corporation rushed them it's not really their fault" is just a cop out. There were no indications that development of The Order was troubled or that they clashed with Sony. They made the game they wanted to make, it just turns out what they wanted to make made for a very shallow video game.

You have to throw out a lot of common sense about how this industry works to believe that.

The game was originally supposed to hit during Christmas 2014, but got delayed because they weren't ready. There's no other first party Sony game that's as feature-sparse as this is, and there's no way internal reviews weren't telling them the length would be an issue - every review everywhere brought it up, and the devs were out there doing major damage control before it was even out. They literally copy & paste the same boss encounter three times, and never provide another.

It seems insane to think the product they released was what they initially drew up, and what Sony approved funding for. A full priced, megabudget 6 hour single player game with no additional modes and no online component whatsoever? In this day & age?

And I really like the game too, but the value proposition at $60 isn't there and there's no way execs wouldn't know that the moment they looked at the pitch.

schaft0620

If the Order 1886 was a $20 game we would be looking at GOTY this fall for it's open world sequel. Sony would bundle it with Slims and Pros.

A sequel to The Order makes no sense. The game has negative buz and any association to it would drag down a successor. A new game that used the same tech but learned from the mistakes of The Order would do much better than a sequel.

BadAss2961

The whole atmosphere and vibe was up there with the visuals too. It was pretty special.

The gunplay is also underrated. Nothing special, but solid with some good weapons and animations. Had they wrapped it around a lengthier campaign with some meaty levels, The Order could've been a great game and a big franchise right now.

Tons of potential untapped, which is why a small following believes in another shot.

farisr

I don't think it "deserves" a sequel. There are plenty of games that were good/terrific across the board but did badly in sales that deserve sequels far more than it.

However, I do want a sequel for it. I liked the atmosphere/universe it was set in, the gunplay, the graphics (of course), and the story only started getting interesting near the end.

Continue the story from that point, and take into account the criticism (like putting in more shooting encounters + no crappy QTE boss battles)

daman824

You have to throw out a lot of common sense about how this industry works to believe that.

The game was originally supposed to hit during Christmas 2014, but got delayed because they weren't ready. There's no other first party Sony game that's as feature-sparse as this is, and there's no way internal reviews weren't telling them the length would be an issue - every review everywhere brought it up, and the devs were out there doing major damage control before it was even out. They literally copy & paste the same boss encounter three times, and never provide another.

It seems insane to think the product they released was what they initially drew up, and what Sony approved funding for. A full priced, megabudget 6 hour single player game with no additional modes and no online component whatsoever? In this day & age?

And I really like the game too, but the value proposition at $60 isn't there and there's no way execs wouldn't know that the moment they looked at the pitch.
I highly doubt any of the games real problems would have been fixed with more development time.

Kill3r7

The whole atmosphere and vibe was up there with the visuals too. It was pretty special.

The gunplay is also underrated. Nothing special, but solid with some good weapons and animations. Had they wrapped it around a lengthier campaign with some meaty levels, The Order could've been a great game and a big franchise right now.

Tons of potential untapped, which is why a small following believes in another shot.

The mood, atmosphere and vibe are set by the hundreds of cutscenes we have to watch in order to reach the next bit of meaningful action/gameplay. The gunplay is okay but it never elevates past that because the player has no chance to experiment and push the boundaries. It is basically a visually stunning game with little to no substance. For all the flack it takes, Ryse is a far more interesting game and setting that is worth exploring further compared to The Order.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I loved The Order. I think it's a flawed gem, personally.

I love the setting, the characters are interesting, even if the overall narrative is meh, and the gunplay is immensely satisfying. There seemed to be a lot of untapped potential in the lore and world. The world building itself is very good.

It definitely deserves a sequel. I feel like if they had been given the chance, a sequel to The Order 1886 could have been was Assassin's Creed 2 was to Assassin's Creed 1: a huge improvement that catapulted the series beyond the flaws of the original.

I'm legit bummed that the game didn't do better. I played it at the E3 before release, and I think that helped to curb my expectations, and I ended up loving the game. I'll probably do a replay of it one day and livestream it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The setting, characters, and world were way more interesting to me then any of the shooters getting game of year consideration or having their campaigns praised this year. Not having co-op was a head scratcher though considering how often you're running with an AI partner. They could have gone the gears 3 route where they split you up during the sections where you're alone as it would have worked in the confines of the story.

I'd be down for a 1337 sequel. Drop The Order and just call it 1887 if name brand stigma is an issue.

psa i only paid $5 for this. so my opinion might be colored a bit. :)

I found the universe to be quite intriguing. We could definitely use games with more cyberpunk setting.

full

BadAss2961

The mood, atmosphere and vibe are set by the hundreds of cutscenes we have to watch in order to reach the next bit of meaningful action/gameplay. The gunplay is okay but it never elevates past that because the player has no chance to experiment and push the boundaries. It is basically a visually stunning game with little to no substance. For all the flack it takes, Ryse is a far more interesting game and setting that is worth exploring further compared to The Order.
Well yeah, you pretty much agree with what I was saying then.

One thing though, The Order didn't need a ton of cutscenes to set the mood. That mood is there instantly with the visuals, setting, and acting alone. Had they just balanced their gameplay/cutscene ratio at least close to the level of an Uncharted 4, the game could've been a big hit with the same assets. There just wasn't enough gameplay.

mr_chun

Like many AAA games that are the first in a (potential) series, it had flaws. But the groundwork is already laid, so more time can be spent on making more fluid gameplay and writing a more compelling story. I appreciated it for what it was and had fun getting the platinum trophy. Really would like to see what they could do if they were allowed a second crack at it.

Hahaha.

Yes, I said the universe, not the characters, the lore, the story, or whatever, since they were all rather abysmal in the game. The overall setting, with Arthurian knights with cyberpunk technology roaming around London that was infested by fantastical creatures such as vampires and werewolves, however, is quite nice.

Edit: STEAMpunk, not Cyberpunk, what the hell was I thinking, lol.

Hahaha.

Yes, I said the universe, not the characters, the lore, the story, or whatever, since they were all rather abysmal in the game. The overall setting, with Arthurian knights with cyberpunk technology roaming around London that was infested by fantastical creatures such as vampires and werewolves, however, is quite nice.

Still confused. What is the universe once you take the characters, lore, and story out?

EDIT:
Reading the comment again, I think the word you're looking for is "steampunk".

BadAss2961

Hahaha.

I think steampunk is the better term for The Order.

Hahaha.

The face was because the game does not have a "cyberpunk" aesthetic. It is closer to a steampunk aesthetic, but even that is not really spot on. It's a Victorian setting that happens to have a few high tech gadgets, but which do not otherwise disturb the general setting or look.

I'm so confused by anyone calling the characters "interesting". They are so incredibly one note and flat. I think they're actually worse than the average characters presented in much older shooters tbh.

BadAss2961

I'm so confused by anyone calling the characters "interesting". They are so incredibly one note and flat. I think they're actually worse than the average characters presented in much older shooters tbh.
Yeah, other than Galahad, the characters aren't all that interesting. But everyone's well acted, way beyond most games.

Wolfenstein: TNO is another single player only shooter with no extra modes from a year earlier, but it's like night and day. The characters are incredible, the story is far better than it has any right to be, the combat felt fresh and dynamic, and it targeted flawless performance instead of flawless presentation.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Compare to cod, bf1, and Titanfall 2 these are pretty good. It's not Shakespeare but it works.

Compare to cod, bf1, and Titanfall 2 these are pretty good. It's not Shakespeare but it works.

That's like saying compared to dry air this water is pretty tasty.

I don't even think I can say it "works" with how much of focus this game puts on basically everything over gameplay. This story should absolutely not get as much screen time as it gets.

It was an averageish game with AAA production values. That said, it needs a high value game producer, say someone from ND overseeing the sequel and you'll possibly get something amazing.

Still confused. What is the universe once you take the characters, lore, and story out?

EDIT:
Reading the comment again, I think the word you're looking for is "steampunk".

I think steampunk is the better term for The Order.

The face was because the game does not have a "cyberpunk" aesthetic. It is closer to a steampunk aesthetic, but even that is not really spot on. It's a Victorian setting that happens to have a few high tech gadgets, but which do not otherwise disturb the general setting or look.

STEAMPUNK!

My God why was I saying Cyberpunk? Hahahahah.

As for the "What is the universe once you take the characters, lore, and story out?" comment, I found the setting of the world to be great. Just the setting tho.

Also, I think the steampunk is quite appropriate. I mean, the Order has flying zeppelins that shoots massive cannon in the game and yet nobody even bats an eye towards that.

STEAMPUNK!

My God why was I saying Cyberpunk? Hahahahah.

As for the "What is the universe once you take the characters, lore, and story out?" comment, I found the setting of the world to be great. Just the setting tho.

Also, I think the steampunk is quite appropriate. I mean, the Order has flying zeppelins that shoots massive cannon in the game and yet nobody even bats an eye towards that.

Nothing about the setting really standsout. Its pretty typical Steampunk. The idea of the Knights of the Round fighting vampires and stuff is pretty cool, but nothing that is super original that can't be done in a game that isn't burdened by being associated with The Order.

Basically we just need more Steampunk games, seriously.

I feel like the game would have gone more in that direction if it wasn't rushed out. Sony kinda sent it out to die because they needed more first party games on the shelves. It probably should have been an early 2016 game instead of an early 2015 game.

Rushed out? What are you talking about?! It was in development for four and a half years, and there's no indication at all that RAD were pressured to release the game before it was ready. They were even afforded a few months' delay, thereby missing pre-Christmas 2014! An extra year in development would have done virtually nothing to address its many issues. If you're going to make shit up about the game being 'rushed out' then at least provide some evidence for reaching this conclusion.

Lol blaming the suckiness of the game to anything and everything but Ready at Dawn.

It's quite obvious that they were thinking too highly of themselves and got so stuck up to their "artistic vision" they forgot to create a game.

I literally just finished beating this today. I think the game is pretty mediocre in all areas except visuals but would like a sequel to see where the story goes next.

Lol blaming the suckiness of the game to anything and everything but Ready at Dawn.

It's quite obvious that they were thinking too highly of themselves and got so stuck up to their "artistic vision" they forgot to create a game.

Yeah interviews with Ru had me about as angry as I could be at a developer. To be given that much money and time to develop a game and show such disregard for the actual design of it is so fucking baffling to me. Gameplay wise it is about as derivative as it can get, like I can't even imagine what discussions were like between the "designers" on it.

Lazy devs might usually be bad words to throw around but they absolutely had lazy designers.

Armaros

it incredibly wasted the victorian setting. you barely use any of the special gadgets and just go back to generic guns, and fight generic mooks.

and the only time you fight anything else, are copy pasted QTE boss battles. SMH.

it incredibly wasted the victorian setting. you barely use any of the special gadgets and just go back to generic guns, and fight generic mooks.

and the only time you fight anything else, are copy pasted QTE boss battles. SMH.

Yeah pretty much. People keep calling it wasted potential but the actual "ideas" here are so vague. The ip itself and the team that developed it deserve NOTHING. I'd rather see a Blodborne spin off or something, you know, an ip that had actual ideas and actually made use of them.

Since we're getting a Knack fucking 2, sure, I would love a sequel to this.

And yeah, A Penny Dreadful the game would be nice
starring Eva Green
. I'm all for it. Might as well make use to this gorgeous damn engine.

Armaros

Since we're getting a Knack fucking 2, sure, I would love a sequel to this.

And yeah, A Penny Dreadful the game would be nice
starring Eva Green
. I'm all for it. Might as well make use to this gorgeous damn engine.

A game that actually used the setting to its fullest would be nice, but the Order does not.

99% of the game is fighting faceless generic humans that could be in any other third person cover shooter.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Instead of a sequel, put all the effort and budget towards adapting the Monster Blood Tattoo books. Far better story, characters, and lore.

Footos22

A sequel to The Order makes no sense. The game has negative buz and any association to it would drag down a successor. A new game that used the same tech but learned from the mistakes of The Order would do much better than a sequel.

But then knack 2 got Greenlit so anythings possible

knack da god

Toni

Jesus christ, the wrath of dissapointed gamers is real.

I sure do hope that no one from the internal team at Ready at Dawn sees this thread.

Top Bottom