• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: The Order 1886 deserves* a sequel

There's so much stuff in the Order than would have to be completely reworked that you would just end up making a game that was a sequel to The Order in name only.

I feel like the game would have gone more in that direction if it wasn't rushed out. Sony kinda sent it out to die because they needed more first party games on the shelves. It probably should have been an early 2016 game instead of an early 2015 game.

This seems like a reach. The game is actually fairly polished for what it is. This is the game Ready At Dawn wanted to make. The focus was on the narrative and visuals over the gameplay. People making the game said as much. "X company sent it out to die" seems like the go to blame deflector whenever a mediocre game is released.

A sequel would be in the same hands of the people that created the first game, so I'm not so sure why people just hand wave away the first game's flaws as if they would automatically be fixed. Game development isn't an rpg where you just have to pump
more XP into the gameplay skill tree next time.

KeidaKennedy

Neo Member
The Order 1886 is very underrated I think.
So much potential. Loved the characters, world, story, and awesome weaponry. I'd be overjoyed if there was a sequel. :')

I think the game deserves one last go. It had a great steampunk atmosphere, an interesting cast of characters, and a cool premise. The game just lacked in overall gameplay. The gameplay that was there was fine. I would like to see it get one last try.

Maybe I should have read the thread replies before I bought this 20 min ago at the PSN Flash Sale for $5 :(

I paid full price at release, I enjoyed it.

$5 is a bargain for it. It's still a fairly well made experience, there's a lot of positives and the reason I was disappointed is because the gameplay is good, there's just not enough of it. You'll get $5 of enjoyment out of it.

thelastword

Banned
Yes, Just less of the walking parts, more action and a skilll based system behind the combat..A sequel needs to happen, both for 1886 and DC. These guys deserve a second chance.

Deepwater

I remember when the first trailer for the Order came out at E3 and I thought it was gonna be a squad based shooter. Too bad with what we got...

Plum

The IP has a lot of potential, and I would love to see more games in this universe. That and this game has the most realistic graphics I have ever seen and will for a while. I hold the opinion that in order to succeed you need to be able to fail and learn from mistakes and I think they certainly deserve an opportunity to learn from mistakes. Ask any developer and you will know that launching an original IP is the single most hardest thing to do.

They not only had the pressure of making a good game which is the most difficult you can imagine, they also had to launch a new IP on top of this which definitely can take away focus from areas that might needed a bit more

I always cringe hard when I see people trash on years of hard work like this, thinking "man if only they would had a different team" These games are team efforts with thousands of variables, and for most you can never fully control the outcome no matter how hard you want to and to just say something like that tells me most of you have no clue what you are talking about.

Read post postmortems on gamesutra, or for example read up on the development of uncharted or the last of us where up until months before release the game was absolute shit. These aren't just cute stories to boast but this demonstrates the unstable nature of game development. There are just too many possibilities and most of them you cant just tick a box for.

Sure, things could have gone a bit different with a bit more focus here instead of here. all development has problems, this isn't a choice between good or bad development. this is simply development that either turns out good or turns out bad. Changing a team makes little difference.

I am just grateful the team did something very brave and launched a new IP and I think they should be celebrated for that instead of being ripped upon by people who clearly have never developed anything in their lives.

I don't see what you're going for here. We shouldn't criticize the team's effort because "games just turn out bad or good"? As has been said in this thread, The Order is an extremely polished, amazing-looking product that 'feels' finished (despite ending on a cliffhanger), its issues aren't the fault of development troubles out of Ready at Dawn's control. People saying it would be better if the IP were given to another team aren't shitting on their work, they're saying that RaD's vision for the game harmed it.

As for it being a new IP, that's not exactly a 'brave' feat, and it again doesn't excuse the game's quality. Creating a new IP puts a higher workload, sure, but there's many, many examples of first entries in a new IP being amazing, and many from developers with MUCH fewer resources.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
One of my biggest gaming disappointments was the timeline of this game. The reveal was amazing, with RAD getting a real shot at a aaa title with an awesome premise. Then they had that awkward twitch reveal and from there each appearance was worse than the last. The game was a disaster, I'm always amazed how many people enjoyed it.

JusDoIt

This seems like a reach. The game is actually fairly polished for what it is. This is the game Ready At Dawn wanted to make. The focus was on the narrative and visuals over the gameplay. People making the game said as much. "X company sent it out to die" seems like the go to blame deflector whenever a mediocre game is released.

A sequel would be in the same hands of the people that created the first game, so I'm not so sure why people just hand wave away the first game's flaws as if they would automatically be fixed. Game development isn't an rpg where you just have to pump
more XP into the gameplay skill tree next time.

You right. I really have no evidence to believe that more time would have led to better creative decisions. I still think RaD had the pieces necessary to make this a great game, but they do need to be held accountable for their choices.

Rising_Hei

I feel like it deserves a sequel too.

Despite having mediocre shit, the game felt like a good opening sequence (a prologue) of what could have been a great game (the sequel), it has all the right ingredients to explode as a franchise if they are given enough time and are mindful enough to know where to improve and making new design choices

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think they'd need to seriously rethink what kind of game they want to make and go with it and hard. The first game was a messy mismatch of different gameplay aspects and ideas and was neither a jack of all trades or a master of one. The gunplay was actually fairly well done and fun to use but the encounter design was boring and cookie cutter as could possible could get. The last level is literally, hallway, room with a couple very obvious pieces of cover and then some "monster" closets that would dump a bunch of enemies in close quarters (because that was fun) and rinse and repeat. Then there were the weird sort of branching QTE's that didn't really matter all that much, the random bare bones stealth sections and then the walking around looking at stuff parts.

They need to either go full Gears of War, blow away crazy monsters with crazy weapons while crazy shit happens and play this up while also telling their story about centuries old knights with their crazy inventors and alternate history stuff and give it a much meatier gameplay experience. Multiplayer if they are at all interested in that route but don't half ass and make it a serious part of the experience and not an after thought. They can keep the other stuff but they need to streamline it and make it work with the more action heavy bombastic experience or drop it. I hate to say it but Gears of War 2 it and go bigger, better and more bad ass.

If not then they need to choose a route like an Until Dawn like experience with lighter more creative action and set piece events that could also take some inspiration from the Heavy Rain and other big Sony adventure games. They can still have the combat from the first game but they need to make things like your choices during those exaggerated scenes and other interactive elements more worthwhile and interesting. They were pretty bland and shallow all things considered in 1886. Also No more fucking repeating boss fights with a new coat of paint down to picking up the same random weapon on the floor to attack the boss with.

And which ever version they return with don't skimp on all the really interesting elements. The werewolf fights should not boil down to blasting them with compressed air then attacking them as they lay there before they run around in a circle for a few seconds and repeat the said same easy to counter attack. That should be an event you go into psyched up and scared you are going to die in a variety of brutal unexpected ways. Same for the other super natural elements like the vampires and they really need to clear up what's going on, I'm fine with vague but it felt like they'd stop exposition dumps half way through to remain mysterious. The lore was great, the characters were set up to do interesting things, and the story was getting larger and more expansive in scope; now lets see the fruits of those labors.

Rembrandt

Banned
Why would a sequel fix the complaints when the first game is obviously the one they set out to make from the beginning?

Deserves is a weird word. It doesn't deserve a sequel.

Pif

Banned
I live in Germany and I'm not a native, kept calling my doctor Galahad because I would forget his name constantly and Galahad came always to mind even though I wasn't associating it with The Order 1886.

His name is Geelhaar or something.

I would play a sequel yes, but done on the same engine.

I feel like it deserves a sequel too.

Despite having mediocre shit, the game felt like a good opening sequence (a prologue) of what could have been a great game (the sequel), it has all the right ingredients to explode as a franchise if they are given enough time and are mindful enough to know where to improve and making new design choices

You could probably make this argument for every bad or mediocre game ever. If every mediocre game was "deserving" of a sequel and got one, this industry would go bankrupt.

Nev

Banned
"Deserves" sounds as if they wanted to make something different but couldn't because of some restraints out of their reach.

They wanted to make a cinematic press-forward corridor shooter with pretty graphix and that's exactly what they did. Them thinking this kind of garbo would become another Uncharted 2 is their own and only fault.

The two God of War titles they developed before this glorified tech demo were actual games and had an unanimous positive reception. They got what they deserved with The Order. It's what happens when you play Naughty Dog. Only them can make a cinematic AAA game not be complete shit.

If they did go ahead and make a sequel, I would really love if they could integrate some of the best fictional characters from that time such as Van Helsing, Dracula, Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, Dr. Frankenstein and his creature, Sherlock Holmes/Dr. Watson and Professor Moriarty, among others.

MrS

Banned
I'd like to see a sequel handled by a different dev using the same engine. Sony owns the IP, right? Make it happen, Shu.

shandy706

I'm currently playing this game for the first time, since it's on sale for $5. Does the game get any harder after the first couple chapters? I can literally stand out in the open and headshot every single enemy without worrying about dying.

KodaRuss

If they did a sequel I might give it a shot but not at launch. It had so much potential but it just wasnt that great. Every encounter was mediocre at best except for maybe the bridge section.

Fighting the werewolves was a joke and literally the same thing over and over.

It looks stunning and the characters were pretty good. Thats about it. I doubt we get a sequel but you never know.

If Knack can get a sequel The Order can too.

Knack was probably more successful and costs less to make.

Knack also fills more of a hole in Sony's catelog. Between god of war, Uncharted, days gone, last of us, Spider-Man, horizon and whatever else Sucker Punch has cooking they aren't exactly lacking in third person action games aimed at teens and adults.

Endo Punk

You could probably make this argument for every bad or mediocre game ever. If every mediocre game was "deserving" of a sequel and got one, this industry would go bankrupt.

When people speak of potential with this game I just have to shake my head. This is the exact game they wanted to make, its potential? They fully realised it here and it's garbage. I think what people really mean is the setting is excellent, the idea of hunting werewolves as Knights of the round table with future tech is excellent but RAD wanted to to make a linear corrider shooter with human foes and terrible story. A sequel done right wouldn't even resemble 1886 because it would need to be fundamentally different.

"Deserves" sounds as if they wanted to make something different but couldn't because of some restraints out of their reach.

They wanted to make a cinematic press-forward corridor shooter with pretty graphix and that's exactly what they did. Them thinking this kind of garbo would become another Uncharted 2 is their own and only fault.

The two God of War titles they developed before this glorified tech demo were actual games and had an unanimous positive reception. They got what they deserved with The Order. It's what happens when you play Naughty Dog. Only them can make a cinematic AAA game not be complete shit.

Agree wholeheartedly. RAD are nowhere near the quality of ND. They touted ND as their main inspiration before release but after playing and watching the game, I have a hard time believing RAD has ever touched a ND game. How can the inspiration from UC2 and TLOU turn into an 1886 😵

I bought this for 5 bucks this morning, I played 10 minutes of it (even if you want to call it playing) and I feel like I wasted 5 bucks. Anytime a game tells me to move the left stick forward to move is a sign of a shitty game.

just give me a point and click adventure at this point
It doesn't need shooting (though i did enjoy and let the gun fights last as long as possible)
Let me go from beautiful scenery to beautiful scenery, give me some gabrielle knight the beast with in type conversations with the people with in the town I'm investigating, something along the lines of that.

I'm a sucker for werewolf and vampires and that setting and I just need more.

I bought this for 5 bucks this morning, I played 10 minutes of it (even if you want to call it playing) and I feel like I wasted 5 bucks. Anytime a game tells me to move the left stick forward to move is a sign of a shitty game.

If it wasn't for a command prompt in Uncharted Games I wouldn't know a cut scene was over half the time, I'm always caught off guard that I can move on my own at that point.. I wouldn't call that series shitty based off of that. but you know, just my opinion

JayTapp

True.

I was expecting a trainwreck of a game because gaf told me it was terrible.
So I bought I for like 10$ on christmas last year.

I was plesently surprised. I'm not saying it was a perfect game. But it was a solid game.

The graphics were awesome. I liked the story and the characters were believable. Lady igraine was badass and deserved more exposure in the mist of "gamergate" stuff.

I really would loved a sequel to continue the unfinished story.

"Lore exists" is never a reason to make a new game.

very true.....but shit give me a book or something, that's how interested I was by the lore and how much more I wanted to learn about it at least. The universe has major potential. Make a anime out of it or one of those comics backs i have to read backwards, I'm down for anything from "The Order" universe.

Darklands deserves a sequel. Mark of the Ninja deserves a sequel. Sunset Overdrive deserves a sequel. The Order 1886 deserves to be forgotten. There is nothing unique or interesting about its gameplay that warrants any special attention. It's got flawless presentation, a potentially interesting setting and nothing else. Passable shooter mechanics. Enemies that utterly squander the setting's unique features. The story isn't even good, it's completely pedestrian. The rebellion I'm fighting is actually the good guys? My own organization and the Obviously Evil Mega-corp they work closely with have bad people at the top? Earth-shattering stuff, Ready at Dawn. It's lacking in content, it's lacking in creativity. Why did you set the game in 1886 if you were then going to find tenuous excuses for everyone running around with the same assault rifles, submachine guns, sniper rifles and shotguns that every shooter uses? Why did you set the game against a backdrop of Arthurian knights and supernatural monsters if 99.99% of all enemies in the game are baseline humans with guns? When we do fight monsters why are they QTEs?

Maybe they could make a good sequel. But that's true of a lot of shitty games. Ryse could have become some amazing series full of great games. Lair could have had an amazing followup that fixed all the issues. Two Human could have explored its intriguing Cyberpunk-Norse backstory and aesthetic to give us a modern classic. Haze could have done something interesting in its sequel. Daikatana 2 could have made you its bitch.

If the people want a sequel because they like the lore, maybe they can release a novel for you. Or a picture book since without the amazing graphics it never would have been hyped up to begin with.

Darklands deserves a sequel. Mark of the Ninja deserves a sequel. Sunset Overdrive deserves a sequel. The Order 1886 deserves to be forgotten. There is nothing unique or interesting about its gameplay that warrants any special attention. It's got flawless presentation, a potentially interesting setting and nothing else. Passable shooter mechanics. Enemies that utterly squander the setting's unique features. The story isn't even good, it's completely pedestrian. The rebellion I'm fighting is actually the good guys? My own organization and the Obviously Evil Mega-corp they work closely with have bad people at the top? Earth-shattering stuff, Ready at Dawn. It's lacking in content, it's lacking in creativity. Why did you set the game in 1886 if you were then going to find tenuous excuses for everyone running around with the same assault rifles, submachine guns, sniper rifles and shotguns that every shooter uses? Why did you set the game against a backdrop of Arthurian knights and supernatural monsters if 99.99% of all enemies in the game are baseline humans with guns? When we do fight monsters why are they QTEs?

Maybe they could make a good sequel. But that's true of a lot of shitty games. Ryse could have become some amazing series full of great games. Lair could have had an amazing followup that fixed all the issues. Two Human could have explored its intriguing Cyberpunk-Norse backstory and aesthetic to give us a modern classic. Haze could have done something interesting in its sequel. Daikatana 2 could have made you its bitch.

If the people want a sequel because they like the lore, maybe they can release a novel for you. Or a picture book since without the amazing graphics it never would have been hyped up to begin with.

Definitely one of my biggest issues with the game. You have this relatively unique setting with an interesting tease of lore which even detractors of the game almost unanimously agree is intriguing, but you do almost absolutely nothing to leverage it beyond the story which isn't any better than any other random video game's and yet they lean on it harder than most. The game frustrates me more than most because so much of the concept was wasted.

Zerin

I'm currently playing this game for the first time, since it's on sale for $5. Does the game get any harder after the first couple chapters? I can literally stand out in the open and headshot every single enemy without worrying about dying.

It gets harder by adding instant-fail stealth levels.

This game really needed some DLC to flesh out some story stuff and provide more ways to enjoy some of the weaponry that is used for part of a level and never seen again.

The game is 6 hours long, has no other modes and only one boss which they have to repeat 3 times.

99% sure that isn't the game they wanted to make.

It shows a poor use of their time and resources. Its clear where they put the focus on, and the "game" part of their game suffered for it.

Definitely one of my biggest issues with the game. You have this relatively unique setting with an interesting tease of lore which even detractors of the game almost unanimously agree is intriguing, but you do almost absolutely nothing to leverage it beyond the story which isn't any better than any other random video game's and yet they lean on it harder than most. The game frustrates me more than most because so much of the concept was wasted.

It feels like there were two different games and they decided to smash them together.

Venom.

The game world is excellent, the gameplay could have been better! I made a video about the changes that would make a sequel better and Andrea Pessino, co-founder of Ready At Dawn, wrote 'Thank you for your feedback!' https://twitter.com/AndreaPessino/status/576068618116472832

He and Ru Weerasuriya were on the Game Informer podcast (1h:40m mark) and I think they came as close to revealing at sequel is on the way without saying anything. I'm hopeful that it will make its debut at Sony's E3 2017 press conference.

It feels like there were two different games and they decided to smash them together.

The game is refined and polished in a technical sense, nothing came out of the blue in the last 12 months of development, so I'd say the fault was something that cropped up very early and never got course corrected. At every they took safe decisions on the gameplay front. Who are the enemies? The same enemies in every other shooter. Which guns? The same guns from every shooter. Yeah the artists have license to make neat looking things but mechanically, it's all bare bones and took no risks by deviating from this platonic ideal of a third person shooter. It's hard to say whether the story came first or the game came first, but for whatever reason they're in complete disharmony with both each other and the world the game takes place in generally.

Top Bottom