• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not 100% done watching it, but Macron's Mediapart debate from last night is available on their YouTube channel, including a thematically segmented version, and it's pretty interesting. I like MP's no bullshit approach and the fact they take the time to flesh out questions and answers.

Their site is also all access for the week-end.

Alx

jeuxvideo.com's 18-25 (like a French videogame-themed /pol/) spent all night on the leaks and found nothing :noel:

https://twitter.com/MacronTV/status/860777180959256577

If I'm not careful I'll end up really liking the guy. Truly the candidate we needed, there are sooo many things that could have gone wrong on this election, and that we avoided because some young hot-headed politician decided to run for the presidency out of nowhere.

Slaythe

Edit: btw chocolatine is the good term, and is not minor ;)

No.
1475842613_44424914_565bb9ac54_z%20(1).jpg

Kuldar

I'm glad that even on NeoGAF we respect the electoral truce and discuss the real problem: people saying chocolatine instead of pain au chocolat.

So what's the schedule tomorrow? Same as two weeks ago, i.e. mandated information blackout, no exit polls, etc. until 8 PM CEST and we'll probably know immediately at 8 PM who's won?

Coffinhal

That's great data to analyze for historians and political sociologists. Apart from that haha... the far-right ended this campaign the worst way.

Shocked that these leaked emails would turn out to be absolutely nothing. Shocked I tell you.

This gave me a sensible chuckle:

C-Hh-WRV0AAqBGR.jpg

Question: do French in France use the word Couriel or E-Mail?

becase I thought that the word Couriel was a Quebec thing because Quebec is obsessed of Frenchizing new English tech words

tuxfool

Banned
This may be of interest:

A Massive, Pro-Le Pen Disinformation Campaign Hits Twitter, 4chan, and the Mainstream Media

https://medium.com/data-for-democracy/democracy-hacked-a46c04d9e6d1

It's becoming clear that the goal here is not the truth, nor even believability. (Remember #pizzagate?) The goal of these disinformation networks is to control the narrative. Keep the ball on the other end of the field and take lots of shots, even bad ones. Control the ball, keep your opponent on the defensive, and they can't work their own offense. And who knows, they might slip up and let the game winning shot through. That's the playbook of these disinformation networks.

"The most prolific account tweeted 1668 times in the roughly 24 hours of data ― that's faster than a single (re)tweet per minute, all day with no sleep"

lol

Slaythe

becase I thought that the word Couriel was a Quebec thing because Quebec is obsessed of Frenchizing new English tech words

Officially yeah.

In reality, nobody uses that outside of maybe some professional settings. And even then it's been completely replaced by "mail/e-mail" in most fields.

Holden

you mean mél ?

most people use "mail" from what i know
but i do see mél rarely and it triggers me too much for no reason which is how you are suppose to write it apparently...

No one I know in france says "email". It's nearly always mél/mail. So much so that my students to whom I teach English always say: I will send you a mail.

Courriel is more of a thing people seem to use in official formal matters.

On a side note: do we have any information how much abstention or "white" votes we should prepare for, or is that the big unknown?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Yeah, in France we say "e-mail" most of the time. Even in a professional setting - well, at my workplace anyway - it's more common, though people stlil use "courriel" every now and then. It's by no means weird, just much less common and more formal. I never use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom