• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mael

[Quick translation, do not circulate]

Followup to the Hack that affected Macron's campaign team

The National Commission met again on Saturday, May 6th in the morning to follow up on the hack that affected Mr. Macron's campaign team.

Like was said in public communication last night, this attack translated into the spread on social networks of a cache of data presented as coming from the campaign's servers and which consisted of emails of several members of his campaign.

The Commission stresses that the transmission of this data, which were obtained fraudulently and which appears real but has been mixed with false information, is subject to several legal penalties.

On the eve of the most important electoral deadline, the Commission appeals to those on web sites and social networks, to those in the media, but also to all citizens, to demonstrate a spirit of responsibility by not relaying the contents of the hack, in order to avoid undermining the transparency of the democracy process, in order to avoid breaking laws, and in order to avoid exposing oneself to legal penalty.
So what's Gaf position on this?
I don't think they cannot be sued if some material are posted here.

... Where does Chocolatine come from? I lived in France more than 30 years before becoming a US citizen, and I have -never- heard that term.

Disturbing ... Alt fact?

You're the altfact.
Try asking for a pain au chocolat in Bordeaux and come back to me when you're back from having been thrown in the Garonne.

That's a fake made to mock the leak but this idiot of posobiec who don't speak french thought it was legit

I speak french and it's not clearly a fake to me (it's somewhat nonsensical though), nor is it damning to me. Strikes me as pretty standard college-age french humor / inside joke. And 'je baise le peuple' (while I am not sure why it would conclude this email - except maybe as a 'idontgiveafuck') wouldn't really translate as 'fuck the people' but rather as 'i want to have hot sex with the people', given that 'baise' does not have any expletive nature in french.

(I realize you are probably french but saying this for the english speakers here).

If it fake though, what a fucking random email to craft.
I might have missed something obvious here, though - apologies if that's the case.

edit: ahah, fake, but to mock the leak. Sorry i thought you made a fake done by the leakers.

so how high is the probability that le pen wins after the leaks?

Pretty low. First, nothing damning is coming out of it (the opposition is trying on Twitter but a lot of it is coming from overseas and they don't even understand French. One guy thought a campaign insurance form was a life insurance form for example). Second, none of the French news can cover it until Sunday night.

A wet firecracker if you ask me.

azyless

... Where does Chocolatine come from? I lived in France more than 30 years before becoming a US citizen, and I have -never- heard that term.

Disturbing ... Alt fact?
It's only used in the south west. I was also oblivious to it until the internet made a big deal out of it lol.

G.O.O.

I went to that Jack Posobiec twitter account after reading le monde's article on him.
1) What a disgusting piece of shit. Really. I don't know if these people are real or just cynical fucks that get a paycheck from russia or whatever, but just spending a few moments on the account makes me want to vomit.
2) There must really be nothing in those leaks given what pathetic shit he is reduced to twitting about (like 'joking about chirac dying', when they seem to have written a (nice) obituary in case he dies. All newspaper do this).
3) that gregoire potton guy seems to be a riot
C_JrAgoWAAE0Tf7.jpg:large

also i have never said the word chocolatine but i think it's kinda cute. Better than 'chocolate croissant', and pain au chocolat translates horribly.

However, anyone saying chocotube can go fuck themselves with one.
Bahaha, I follow the guy who made this. He was upset that the far-right twitter kept retweeting him, he must've ​broke his own record with that one

Kyzer

Banned
I hate to be that guy but the DNC also alleged that wikileaks forged and tampered with documents and then the FBI later came out and said nothing in the leaks was fake

I hate to be that guy but the DNC also alleged that wikileaks forged and tampered with documents and then the FBI later came out and said nothing in the leaks was fake

I think it's just an understandable stance to take as the victim. Did Macron and his team know which info was hacked before the leak? Did they themselves have the time to run through all the info and see if there is anyting incriminating in them?

There's a chance there's either incriminating legitimate info in the leak. Or that false info has been added to incriminate. In both cases it's best to say "false info might be added".

And up until now the leak seems to be a whole bunch of nothing anyway.

Kyzer

Banned
You wanna back up this claim? Which document did they say was forged or tampered?

This happened all the time and was one of their main defensive talking points when wikileaks was rolling.

Heres just a snip from politifact, Tim Kaine among the many denying their validity:
Vice presidential nominee Tim Kaine raised the possibility Sunday in an interview with Chuck Todd on Meet the Press. Before posing a question about the email leak to Kaine, Todd said, "I know you have a blanket statement here: You don’t want to respond because you don’t believe that they have been confirmed."

"Well, you know Chuck, again these are connected to a Russian government propaganda effort to destabilize the election," Kaine responded.

Kaine later added: "The one (email) that has referred to me was flat-out completely incorrect. So I don’t know whether it was doctored or whether the person sending it didn’t know what they were talking about. Clearly, I think there’s a capacity for much of the information in them to be wrong."

I think it's just an understandable stance to take as the victim. Did Macron and his team know which info was hacked before the leak? Did they themselves have the time to run through all the info and see if there is anyting incriminating in them?

There's a chance there's either incriminating legitimate info in the leak. Or that false info has been added to incriminate. In both cases it's best to say "false info might be added".

And up until now the leak seems to be a whole bunch of nothing anyway.
Thats true, this leak doesnt appear to be much so far

This happened all the time and was one of their main defensive talking points when wikileaks was rolling.

Heres just a snip from politifact, Tim Kaine among the many denying their validity:

Thats true, this leak doesnt appear to be much so far

Way to leave out the very next paragraph.

Experts told PolitiFact that there is precedent to support Kaine’s claim. While most of the emails are probably unaltered, they said there is a chance that at least a few have been tampered with in some way.

"I've looked at a lot of document dumps provided by hacker groups over the years, and in almost every case you can find a few altered or entirely falsified documents," said Jeffrey Carr, CEO of cybersecurity firm Taia Global. "But only a few. The vast majority were genuine. I believe that's the case with the Podesta emails, as well."

We already know for a fact there have been fake claims being made about bank accounts.

http://observers.france24.com/en/20170505-france-elections-macron-lepen-offshore-bahamas-debunked

Kyzer

Banned
Way to leave out the very next paragraph.

We already know for a fact there have been fake claims being made about bank accounts.

http://observers.france24.com/en/20170505-france-elections-macron-lepen-offshore-bahamas-debunked

James Comey already stated during a hearing that there is no evidence of any of the documents​ being forged or altered. Also, if you wanna talk about leaving out paragraphs from the article...

"Therefore my conclusion remains the same: Tim Kaine is at least partially wrong here," Tait said. "We know for sure that John Podesta was hacked, and we know for sure that many of his real emails have been published via Wikileaks. But his caution isn't entirely unfair."

So why doesn’t the Clinton campaign provide some evidence that emails have been doctored, like publishing original emails? Experts pointed to political calculation.

By saying the emails may be inaccurate generally, the campaign can plausibly deny certain facts that the emails reveal. If they offer proof that a particular leaked email is fake, however, that risks giving the impression that any emails they do not refute are accurate. Or they just might not want the original email to become public for any number of reasons.

"It boxes the campaign into a bad spot," Winterton said.

James Comey already stated during a hearing that there is no evidence of any of the documents​ being forged or altered. Also, if you wanna talk about leaving out paragraphs from the article...

You're right, Tim Kaine should have traveled to the future where the FBI had already assessed the authenticity of tens of thousands of e-mails and told us all they were real.

Kyzer

Banned
You're right, Tim Kaine should have traveled to the future where the FBI had already assessed the authenticity of tens of thousands of e-mails and told us all they were real.

You seem a little too defensive to be thinking impartially. I dont know what to tell you. Im a democrat and understand they were trying to win an election, and politics is ugly, but if you wanna deny that the dnc was doing damage control in terms of deniability of wikileaks then youre kidding yourself.

Um...

Since when was Tim Kaine the DNC?

Yes Tim Kaine is part of the DNC, and hes just one example. Aides, brian fallon, even Hillary herself were all alluding to the wikileaks being falsified. They were the democratic campaign for the united states presidency so they count too. Does it have to be debbie wasserman Schultz to be "the dnc"?

You seem a little too defensive to be thinking impartially. I dont know what to tell you. Im a democrat and understand they were trying to win an election, and politics is ugly, but if you wanna deny that the dnc was doing damage control in terms of deniability of wikileaks then youre kidding yourself.

I know exactly what they were doing. It was also the practical thing to do at the time given the amount of information that was out there that had yet to be assessed. What you're doing is coming in here with a "I'd hate to be that guy but I'm totally gonna be that guy" derail about the DNC or Tim Kaine. This case seems to be a little different considering the actual fake stories being spread around that I linked you to but I guess you're having none of that.

Kyzer

Banned
No but the probe stunt right at the end of the election shows who they were rooting for

Ive been down this rabbit hole so many times I dont feel like arguing about it, but Comey has explained his decision, Trump also running for president doesnt mean they have to treat his case the same way as Hillarys in some attempt to be fair politically, and he straight up said he would do it again.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Avoid Paris and its suburbs at all cost if you want to have a good experience in France and not leave with the Paris syndrom and ready to trash France everytime someone asks you about your year as an exchange student.

If you want to have a nice time in France, go to Bordeaux or Toulouse or Lyon or Strasbourg etc.. There are plenty of cities with a better quality of life. Paris isn't what it used to be.

Fyi I was born in Paris
I'll take your word for it. Bordeaux sounds nice.

Kyzer

Banned
I know exactly what they were doing. It was also the practical thing to do at the time given the amount of information that was out there that had yet to be assessed. What you're doing is coming in here with a "I'd hate to be that guy but I'm totally gonna be that guy" derail about the DNC or Tim Kaine. This case seems to be a little different considering the actual fake stories being spread around that I linked you to but I guess you're having none of that.

If you think im a russian astroturfer here to derail the thread go ahead, im just stating a thought of which it isnt a stretch of the imagination to see the relevance to this topic. Put it off to secret motives and having a fucking agenda to push a thread on neogaf if you want but it really says something about the leg you have to stand on.

You can disagree give your points why, theres no reason to say im here to derail, allude to me having ulterior motives, and giving me shit for not changing my mind on a clearly complicated, nuanced, and contentious topic because you provided me with one link. Thats how discussions and disagreements work, you cant just think what you think about something speculative is the truth and everyone who thinks otherwise is a derailing shitposter.

Matt

Yes Tim Kaine is part of the DNC, and hes just one example. Aides, brian fallon, even Hillary herself were all alluding to the wikileaks being falsified. They were the democratic campaign for the united states presidency so they count too. Does it have to be debbie wasserman Schultz to be "the dnc"?
Umm, not at that point he wasn't.

If you think im a russian astroturfer here to derail the thread go ahead, im just stating a thought of which it isnt a stretch of the imagination to see the relevance to this topic. Put it off to secret motives and having a fucking agenda to push a thread on neogaf if you want but it really says something about the leg you have to stand on.

You can disagree give your points why, theres no reason to say im here to derail, allude to me having ulterior motives, and giving me shit for not changing my mind on a clearly complicated, nuanced, and contentious topic because you provided me with one link. Thats how discussions and disagreements work, you cant just think what you think about something speculative is the truth and everyone who thinks otherwise is a derailing shitposter.

I don't know why you keep assuming these things about me or what I think you're doing. I'm not being defensive for pointing out the vast differences between what you brought up and the situation in France (one is a data drop on 4chan, the other a release by WL) given the past instances of fake stories being passed around and obvious forgeries. Secondly, I don't think you're an astroturfer or Russian plant either. I just think you are mistakenly confusing the situation in the US with France because you're not aware of all the differences.

Xando

She got nothing in the bag she won't win i'm sick of hear it now btw the leaks hasn't given effort on the election.

Only one more day and we won't have these "right wing populist candidate xy will win" posts anymore until september (german elections).

Kyzer

Banned
I don't know why you keep assuming these things about me or what I think you're doing. I'm not being defensive for pointing out the vast differences between what you brought up and the situation in France (one is a data drop on 4chan, the other a release by WL) given the past instances of fake stories being passed around and obvious forgeries. Secondly, I don't think you're an astroturfer or Russian plant either. I just think you are mistakenly confusing the situation in the US with France because you're not aware of all the differences.

Fair enough, I don't want to give the impression that I think theyre the same. Sorry if I seemed like I was dropping in just to concern troll, I know its deeper than that

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Austria was quite close.

Austria has a big presence of right extremists (20-30%) in mainstream since many years, long before Brexit and Trump. They have been even in government before. The right wing candidate was actually favourite to win according to the polls right until the elections. So him losing was a big pleasant surprise. Him losing twice was so good.

Almost like they weren't paying attention to Austria and The Netherlands either

This is one of the high profile elections though. Far right is likely dying before our eyes but people are too emotionally scarred by the Trump upset to see it. UKIP is dead, Le Pen, Wilders, AfD going nowhere, and so on.

Mac_Lane

Can't believe how awful those alt-right fuckers can be :

bDEgNZW.jpg

For context, this is Corinne Erhel, a MP supportive of Macron who tragically died age 50 yesterday during a public meeting.

Fuck those inhuman pieces of shit.

Anyway, some good news from the polling places in Montreal :

C_JqCUwV0AEpJyd.jpg

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Posted the Mediapart interview with Macron on Facebook, saying it gives you a good idea of the man and the program after the abysmal debate with Le Pen.

"Friend" of mine comments: "Narcissistic psychopath. I'll never vote for this guy." That's it.
I want to drink myself to sleep when I see some people's inability to think critically.

Kyzer

Banned
No, you don't.

Especially since this is your only contribution here.

I highly doubt that.

Nice job guys thanks for the deep conversation. So do you have an argument against what I said or did you just feel compelled to insult me personally just cuz? Im sure you guys are actually interested in having a conversation and not just shitting on people who view things differently than you, surely.

That Erhel stuff is infuriating.

Posted the Mediapart interview with Macron on Facebook, saying it gives you a good idea of the man and the program after the abysmal debate with Le Pen.

"Friend" of mine comments: "Narcissistic psychopath. I'll never vote for this guy." That's it.
I want to drink myself to sleep when I see some people's inability to think critically.
Your "friend" got the debate he deserves on Wednesday.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nice job guys thanks for the deep conversation. So do you have an argument against what I said or did you just feel compelled to insult me personally just cuz? Im sure you guys are actually interested in having a conversation and not just shitting on people who view things differently than you, surely.

There's no argument to be made against false analogy and fake accusations. Those speak for themselves.

orioto

Good Art™

That some people can find Macron too liberal i can absolutely get it but the whole hate about his person is .. just weird..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom