• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuldar

No one I know in france says "email". It's nearly always mél/mail. So much so that my students to whom I teach English always say: I will send you a mail.
When someone say to me in French that he'll send me a mail, I always ask if if would not be faster to send an e-mail. :D

On a side note: do we have any information how much abstention or "white" votes we should prepare for, or is that the big unknown?
Last pools said it would be higher than usual if I remember well.

SenkiDala

No one I know in france says "email". It's nearly always mél/mail. So much so that my students to whom I teach English always say: I will send you a mail.

Courriel is more of a thing people seem to use in official formal matters.

On a side note: do we have any information how much abstention or "white" votes we should prepare for, or is that the big unknown?

Oh I know a lot of people here who say "email", in fact I hear that more than just "mail".

Addi

"Holy shit! There has been a leak in France! I remember Brexit and Trump, DON'T TRUST POLLS! Let me check how french-GAF is reacting"

"Do you say chocolatine? Really? What about courriel?"

I like this thread

G.O.O.

e8378a3f1a4fac8595d5a16da85a54ca.png
:p

I use "courriel"

then again the software I use at work has a "courriel" button, not "e-mail"

Holden

"Holy shit! There has been a leak in France! I remember Brexit and Trump, DON'T TRUST POLLS! Let me check how french-GAF is reacting"

I like this thread

mostly cause there was nothing in that leak lol

Kuldar

I like this thread
Well we're French. :p

tuxfool

Banned
do you guys say FAX, for FAX machines?

over here, the language lords have branded it as télécopieurs, LOL

That is so strange, it is usually the branch nations of a language that tend to allow a slop in the name of convenience. Things like swiss french huitante, and where their german is more easy to understand.

Similarly the spanish spoken in Latin America is a lot less florid and lispy.

Mael

Pain au chocolat as the name indicates is 2 slices of bread over a chocolate bar.
Chocolatine is the pastry you find at bakers.
Chocotube is twitter trying to be funny.
Polling place open in 16mins, nearly on my way.

Mael

War never changes.
And "autant pour moi" is the only rational option.

It's always have been "Au temps pour moi".
The French Academy actually explain why.
The other version used in this context is as much French as "For all intensive purposes" is English.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I should probably brush up on French now if I ever wanna accomplish my dream of studying abroad somewhere near Paris for my senior year.

omelette.gif

Si j'aurais su...

We're all under a lot of pressure. I accept your apology.

It's always have been "Au temps pour moi".
The French Academy actually explain why.
The other version used in this context is as much French as "For all intensive purposes" is English.

Yes, I know. I have accepted my defeat and have been spelling it "au temps pour moi" for several years now. But in my heart, I just know it is wrong and twisted.

Mael

*Yes, I know. I have accepted my defeat and have been spelling it "au temps pour moi" for several years now. But in my heart, I just know it is wrong and twisted.

It's from the military and they're not real jokers so yeah....
As an aside auteur as female form : autrice.
The Academy basically scrubbed this version whenever they could.
And we can thank the 1st Revolution for that too, horrible misogynist these people.

Mael

A voté #sansmoile7mai

20 people all around at my polling place (Phoenix, Az).
Uneventful,
barely anyone there, then again I voted at 8h30 so something like 30 min.
You know what they say about the early bird, right.
You really do not have to ask who I voted for, I am not insane.

Mimosa97

I should probably brush up on French now if I ever wanna accomplish my dream of studying abroad somewhere near Paris for my senior year.

omelette.gif

Avoid Paris and its suburbs at all cost if you want to have a good experience in France and not leave with the Paris syndrom and ready to trash France everytime someone asks you about your year as an exchange student.

If you want to have a nice time in France, go to Bordeaux or Toulouse or Lyon or Strasbourg etc.. There are plenty of cities with a better quality of life. Paris isn't what it used to be.

Fyi I was born in Paris

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Reaction by the authorities

pZuTUct.jpg

Medias should be responsible, please don't publish the data, and propagating fake news at this time is against the law

[Another quick translation, do not circulate]

Recommendation to the media after the Macron campaign was the victim of a hack:

The national commission [of electoral campaigns] was contacted Friday night by a representative of Mr. Macron after his campaign was the target of an attack, which led to the spread of data presented as internal data from the candidate, but that a third party likely falsified.

In the short term, given that we have been in the silent period since Friday at midnight, and pending the meeting of the commission which will occur in the next few hours, the commission implores the media to consider its sense of responsibility which it must uphold, with respect to the free expression of voters and the integrity of the election.

The Commission, thus, requests that the organs of the press, and especially their websites, should not disclose the contents of this data, noting also that the spread of false information is likely to fall under the purview of legal sanction.

Avoid Paris and its suburbs at all cost if you want to have a good experience in France and not leave with the Paris syndrom and ready to trash France everytime someone asks you about your year as an exchange student.

If you want to have a nice time in France, go to Bordeaux or Toulouse or Lyon or Strasbourg etc.. There are plenty of cities with a better quality of life. Paris isn't what it used to be.

Fyi I was born in Paris

Your forgot about Nantes and Rennes. And no, "etc." is not enough =(
Never forget about Nantes. Paris is the last major French city anybody should visit.

wait what ?
Yeah, croissants aux amandes and pains au chocolat aux amandes are like pain perdu, they're made to recycle unsold stuff.
Some bakeries make them fresh though. Like some bakeries make fresh pain perdu.

[Another quick translation, do not circulate]

Recommendation to the media after the Macron campaign was the victim of a hack:

The national commission [of electoral campaigns] was contacted Friday night by a representative of Mr. Macron after his campaign was the target of an attack, which led to the spread of data presented as internal data from the candidate, but that a third party likely falsified.

In the short term, given that we have been in the silent period since Friday at midnight, and pending the meeting of the commission which will occur in the next few hours, the commission implores the media to consider its sense of responsibility which it must uphold, with respect to the free expression of voters and the integrity of the election.

The Commission, thus, requests that the organs of the press, and especially their websites, should not disclose the contents of this data, noting also that the spread of false information is likely to fall under the purview of legal sanction.

Thanks for the translation. This was last night's version. This morning's is more coercitive :

C_IY2L-XYAELljI.jpg

Fyi I was born in Paris

Your forgot about Nantes and Rennes. And no, "etc." is not enough =(
Never forget about Nantes. Paris is the last major French city anybody should visit.

Yeah if he's coming as a student, Paris shouldn't be the place for a student exchange. I heard what my friend spent on rent in Bordeaux and Lyon and I nearly bounced on the spot lol.

But Paris is still great though, less so after the combo of terror attacks and the refugee crisis but still great.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thanks for the translation. This was last night's version. This morning's is more coercitive :

C_IY2L-XYAELljI.jpg

[Quick translation, do not circulate]

Followup to the Hack that affected Macron's campaign team

The National Commission met again on Saturday, May 6th in the morning to follow up on the hack that affected Mr. Macron's campaign team.

Like was said in public communication last night, this attack translated into the spread on social networks of a cache of data presented as coming from the campaign's servers and which consisted of emails of several members of his campaign.

The Commission stresses that the transmission of this data, which were obtained fraudulently and which appears real but has been mixed with false information, is subject to several legal penalties.

On the eve of the most important electoral deadline, the Commission appeals to those on web sites and social networks, to those in the media, but also to all citizens, to demonstrate a spirit of responsibility by not relaying the contents of the hack, in order to avoid undermining the transparency of the democracy process, in order to avoid breaking laws, and in order to avoid exposing oneself to legal penalty.

I went to that Jack Posobiec twitter account after reading le monde's article on him.
1) What a disgusting piece of shit. Really. I don't know if these people are real or just cynical fucks that get a paycheck from russia or whatever, but just spending a few moments on the account makes me want to vomit.
2) There must really be nothing in those leaks given what pathetic shit he is reduced to twitting about (like 'joking about chirac dying', when they seem to have written a (nice) obituary in case he dies. All newspaper do this).
3) that gregoire potton guy seems to be a riot
C_JrAgoWAAE0Tf7.jpg:large

also i have never said the word chocolatine but i think it's kinda cute. Better than 'chocolate croissant', and pain au chocolat translates horribly.

However, anyone saying chocotube can go fuck themselves with one.

Elandyll

Banned
N'importe si on l'apelle "pain au chocolat" ou "chocolatine", c'est dégueulasse.

tumblr_inline_ooi1bcXARU1tox53p_540.gif

I introduced my (American) wife to warm pain au chocolat a few years back.
It's one of the best things she has ever tasted, directly from her.

painauchocolat.jpg

Now OBVIOUSLY if you don't like chocolate, you won't be a fan, that that doesn't make this "degeulasse" (disgusting). You just have wonky taste is all.

Tiberius

I went to that Jack Posobiec twitter account after reading le monde's article on him.
1) What a disgusting piece of shit. Really. I don't know if these people are real or just cynical fucks that get a paycheck from russia or whatever, but just spending a few moments on the account makes me want to vomit.
2) There must really be nothing in those leaks given what pathetic shit he is reduced to twitting about (like 'joking about chirac dying', when they seem to have written a (nice) obituary in case he dies. All newspaper do this).
3) that gregoire potton guy seems to be a riot
C_JrAgoWAAE0Tf7.jpg:large

also i have never said the word chocolatine but i think it's kinda cute. Better than 'chocolate croissant', and pain au chocolat translates horribly.

However, anyone saying chocotube can go fuck themselves with one.
That's a fake made to mock the leak but this idiot of posobiec who don't speak french thought it was legit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom