• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyzer

Banned
There's no argument to be made against false analogy and fake accusations. Those speak for themselves.

So you either have nothing to say or you are telling me in no unclear terms that you think your worldview is fact. If its the latter then there's certainly no reason to discuss anything with you, youre right.

"Fake accusations" lol.

You could just say you dont agree with what I said and argue against it. Theres no argument to be made against falsehoods? The fuck?

Kuldar

Posted the Mediapart interview with Macron on Facebook, saying it gives you a good idea of the man and the program after the abysmal debate with Le Pen.

"Friend" of mine comments: "Narcissistic psychopath. I'll never vote for this guy." That's it.
I want to drink myself to sleep when I see some people's inability to think critically.
Now you know this "friend" watches Soral videos.

Anyway, some good news from the polling places in Montreal :

C_JqCUwV0AEpJyd.jpg

Given that Macron was polling around 40-50+% during the first round for a ton of international polling stations, I can't imagine how much of a bloodbath the second round will be internationally. I am hoping 90+ in US/UK at least.

Green Yoshi

Pretty low. First, nothing damning is coming out of it (the opposition is trying on Twitter but a lot of it is coming from overseas and they don't even understand French. One guy thought a campaign insurance form was a life insurance form for example). Second, none of the French news can cover it until Sunday night.

A wet firecracker if you ask me.

The hack occurred hours before French Election media ban rule begins, thus a media blackout on the hack potentially sows doubt.

Clever.

The only danger for Macron is that people won't vote tommorow because they think Le Pe has no chance of winning.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Now you know this "freind" watches Soral videos.

For real. No doubt about it. He was a convinced Sarkozyste, and the only political posts he made during Hollande's quinquennat were him sharing low-brow derisive articles about Hollande. Also, he has Asperger's, which should at least open his mind a little bit about Macron given that handicapped people was Macron's carte blanche during the debate. I'm honestly expecting him to vote for Le Pen.

The guy is a complete political idiot. I won't even dignify him with a response.

Alx

We need a picture of Macron with sunglasses with a 'J'ai ca dans la poche!' caption.

Looking at google, Macron with sunglasses looks about 10000x dorkier than Obama but whatever.
We got this man, don't worry.

We have all reasons to be confident, but I can't deny I'm still nervous, and can't wait for all of it to be over. I'm not superstitious, but I still dislike the general feeling of "it's in the bag" that you can see everywhere, including in Macron's Mediapart interview yesterday.

Less than 24 hours to go...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
We have all reasons to be confident, but I can't deny I'm still nervous, and can't wait for all of it to be over. I'm not superstitious, but I still dislike the general feeling of "it's in the bag" that you can see everywhere, including in Macron's Mediapart interview yesterday.

Same. Je ne vendrai pas la peau de l'ours avant de l'avoir tué (et quelle ourse !). Même si l'interview de Mediapart reste intéressante.

tuxfool

Banned
This is one of the high profile elections though. Far right is likely dying before our eyes but people are too emotionally scarred by the Trump upset to see it. UKIP is dead, Le Pen, Wilders, AfD going nowhere, and so on.

Not that I disagree with the general sentiment but UKIP was always dead. The Conservatives are happily taking up half of their baton in batshit rhetoric and disgusting policy.

I am largely trying to convince myself and I am very nervous as well. Even if I give her only 10% chance of winning, I wouldn't' play the Russian roulette, even with a gun with a a 10 bullet chamber.

Green Yoshi

This is one of the high profile elections though. Far right is likely dying before our eyes but people are too emotionally scarred by the Trump upset to see it. UKIP is dead, Le Pen, Wilders, AfD going nowhere, and so on.

The far right in Europes political landscape exists since more than 15 years. I don't think that the Front National is going nowhere if Le Pen loses tomorrow. Perhaps if she gets only 25% of the vote.

Mael

If you're in France I would advise against posting any part of the leak, you really don't want to be part of a thread of French prosecutors suing you for it.
The far right in Europes political landscape exists since more than 15 years. I don't think that the Front National is going nowhere if Le Pen loses tomorrow. Perhaps if she gets only 25% of the vote.

They're going nowhere but the current candidate is the most presentable one. The niece is a hair from being a holocaust denier, the2nd in command is gay so the far right won't support him that much. And the others are not interesting or have a past that will not help them.
For France, we're going to have a respite when the crazy witch loses.

Koren

The hack occurred hours before French Election media ban rule begins, thus a media blackout on the hack potentially sows doubt.

Clever.
My pick... Since there's basically nothing in it, the best timing is just before the blackout. You can launch rumors, that'll fly through the social networks (Philippot's post is especially obvious) and noone is allowed to answer it.

Some will fall for it, they'll hear the lack of official answers as a confirmation that something's hidden.

Though I doubt it'll change anything...

At least the frame work and trading bloc is there with general commonality should it fail. Also if somehow France gets in a position to have a referendum and vote leave, perhaps the EU will move fast to reconsolidate.
Can you really consolidate an EU with UK and France out? I would think Germany would be too big a power to create anything balanced and usable...

you mean mél ?

most people use "mail" from what i know
but i do see mél rarely and it triggers me too much for no reason which is how you are suppose to write it apparently...
I'm late, but the discussion was interesting. I'd say courriel is more formal, and I use it from time to time.

As far as I know, mél is *not* an attempt to create a french word for email (courriel is), but a shortened word for forms, alongside "tél" for téléphone (phone number). I only use it there, but I *always* use mél in forms.

do you guys say FAX, for FAX machines?

over here, the language lords have branded it as télécopieurs, LOL
I've heard fax and télécopieur, but the latter is definitively more formal...

Alx

Lol.
The funny thing is that you know that "if" he is elected, everybody will scrutinize where he's going to eat this evening, ready to be outraged. Posh place ? So elitist. Rotonde again ? He's just trolling us. McDonald's ? So capitalistic. Kebab ? He's pro-Turkey !
Maybe he should go to a crêperie or something.

Green Yoshi

A German newspaper supposes that the alt-right movement in the USA could be responsible for the hack because of some analyses by the Atlantic Council’s Digital Forensic Research Lab.

"Our data shows that the hashtag #MacronLeaks has been launched in the United States and has been driven by a network of alt-right accounts and probably bots," the DFRLab wrote on Saturday. "After that, it was picked up by Le Pen's supporters and probably by bots and has been passed to France."

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/...kanische-ultra-rechte-le-pen-15003170-p2.html

Xando

A German newspaper supposes that the alt-right movement in the USA could be responsible for the hack because of some analyses by the Atlantic Council's Digital Forensic Research Lab.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/...kanische-ultra-rechte-le-pen-15003170-p2.html

There's lots of rumors right now.

Meta data also shows some files were processed on computers with russian default language and tags in cyrillic just like with the DNC hack

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/860814084735979520

Eolz

That would mean Brittany is going independent!

edit: for the russian metadata, already seen people pushing the theory that the CIA forged fake documents to make people believe the russian are evil. Lol.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Lol.
The funny thing is that you know that "if" he is elected, everybody will scrutinize where he's going to eat this evening, ready to be outraged. Posh place ? So elitist. Rotonde again ? He's just trolling us. McDonald's ? So capitalistic. Kebab ? He's pro-Turkey !

Dat coulis de caramal au beurre salé doe.

I still can't believe he's eaten so much shit from the La Rotonde event. I mean, he definitely shouldn't have celebrated like he's already won, and that place is definitely not cheap, but it's also definitely not the kind of luxury restaurant people are making it out to be. If I were a fancy restaurant guy, I could definitely see myself go there once for a special occasion, and I earn only slightly more than the SMIC, so...

But I guess if it's in Paris and it costs more than €10 it's automatically a place for rich assholes.

Dat coulis de caramal au beurre salé doe.

I still can't believe he's eaten so much shit from the La Rotonde event. I mean, he definitely shouldn't have celebrated like he's already won, and that place is definitely not cheap, but it's also definitely not the kind of luxury restaurant people are making it out to be. If I were a fancy restaurant guy, I could definitely see myself go there once for a special occasion, and I earn only slightly more than the SMIC, so...

But I guess if it's in Paris and it costs more than €10 it's automatically a place for rich assholes.

I looked up the menu and its like sub 30€ for a main menu.. is he supposed to eat at mcdonalds?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So nearly every restaurant in Paris :p

Yep. Should have said "15€" instead, which means he pretty much should eat at an Asian restaurant in Rue Sainte-Anne lol. Would have been fun meeting him in line in front of my favorite ramen restaurant.

Nerazar

That would mean Brittany is going independent!

edit: for the russian metadata, already seen people pushing the theory that the CIA forged fake documents to make people believe the russian are evil. Lol.

I've seen comments in Germany that it was Macron himself handing out the second leak, because cui bono blablayadayada. This should really be the wake-up call for any country on this planet. Russia is willing to do that whereever and whenever it suits them.

Something like that will never be prosecuted properly, because it's so easy to cover your tracks. And anything but a confession from Putin himself is a case of plausible deniablity.

It is the Russian MO all over the place. The timing was impeccable. Even a FN guy could tweet about that before the media gag order. Just like the Trump campaign somehow knew that a "surprise" will happen on a certain day.

I still have hope, though, because this kind of influence will not sway people anymore after what happened in the US. It may mobilize them against FN. And France did not get several weeks of "but his emails!". I just hope that I wake up tomorrow and Macron is president, because any result beside that will break the EU apart until we have less than Russia. That's Putin's final goal: instead of improving his country, he wants to drag anyone else down. That must be stopped.

Yeah, La Rotonde isn't really expensive, it's pretty much your regular upper Brasserie. I guess it was more symbolic than anything else: it's very much an "establishment" place where politicians and journalists go, and they were partying why MLP was in the run-off. I get why he did it, but that was a bad look.

Yep. Should have said "15€" instead, which means he pretty much should eat at an Asian restaurant in Rue Sainte-Anne lol. Would have been fun meeting him in line in front of my favorite ramen restaurant.
Kunitoraya's Udon is where it's at tbh.

Koren

There's lots of rumors right now.

Meta data also shows some files were processed on computers with russian default language and tags in cyrillic just like with the DNC hack

For Macron "leak" or in general?

Because in general, I don't have a single doubt that CIA would use russian tools to mislead forensics when hacking others... It would be stupid not doing it. I would only use home tools if I can't do the same with foreign tools. And recent leaks suggest CIA indeed had a lot of russian tools (which was to be expected).

I the present case, I won't make a guess about who did it...

Koren

Yeah, La Rotonde isn't really expensive, it's pretty much your regular upper Brasserie. I guess it was more symbolic than anything else: it's very much an "establishment" place where politicians and journalists go, and they were partying why MLP was in the run-off. I get why he did it, but that was a bad look.
I honestly think it's an overreaction...

Kunitoraya's Udon is where it's at tbh.
It's a place in Paris? Because I'd like to know where to find good udons in France...

(I'd even more like to know where to find soba, especially cold soba... The problem is, when I spent a couple month in Japan, fellow japanese researchers took me into a lot of wonderful restaurants, and I came back wanting more :/ )

/offtopic
Well, it may be, but it's more informative than the debate, and promise more than the whole election ;)

Can you really consolidate an EU with UK and France out? I would think Germany would be too big a power to create anything balanced and usable...

No I meant if France should ever get in that position the EU could offer a favourable solution to stop France leaving.

Eolz

For Macron "leak" or in general?

Because in general, I don't have a single doubt that CIA would use russian tools to mislead forensics when hacking others... It would be stupid not doing it. I would only use home tools if I can't do the same with foreign tools. And recent leaks suggest CIA indeed had a lot of russian tools (which was to be expected).

I the present case, I won't make a guess about who did it...

Yeah, I was obviously talking about the Macron leak, not in general.
CIA would know how to do that (other agencies too) obviously.
This leak is really something done at the last minute, I actually doubt it has been orchestrated by any big agency. More something made by a group or an individual trying to stir shit up, and giving this boring leak without anything better being found on time...

Feel better :/ . Trying to not think about the "other" possibility. I'm pretty glad that the debate (shitshow) changed some minds at least.
I'm worried about her doing 40%, but the rest should be fine.

Mimosa97

Montreal voting station reporting : didn't meet one Le Pen supporter. People could have lied but I don't think so. It's going to be a bloodbath here in North America.

Sadly at least two people told me that they had friends who refused to come to vote because they didn't want to waste 2-3 hours waiting in line when it was SO obvious that Macron was gonna win. I found it unfuriating and a tad worrying but meh fuck them.

Montreal voting station reporting : didn't meet one Le Pen supporter. People could have lied but I don't think so. It's going to be a bloodbath here in North America.

Sadly at least two people told me that they had friends who refused to come to vote because they didn't want to waste 2-3 hours waiting in line when it was SO obvious that Macron was gonna win. I found it unfuriating and a tad worrying but meh fuck them.
I am happily going tomorrow but I am kinda frustrated it's going to eat four hours of my day. I am super busy with shit and this is going to make me sleep very little.
And all this because of Russian hacking threats. Fuck those guys twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom