• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisico

You want something shoking ? In Normandie they dip camembert in their Coffee, those madmen!

That sounds like something I could have tried :p (
except I don't drink coffee
)
Instead of croutons I've put various kind of cheese and other things in my soup to try and see how it taste and in most of the case it was great! My favourite being Roquefort.
A square of chocolate in my hot tea for a few second is also a real bliss.

Coffinhal

26% d'absetntion

26% de cons confrimed

People who abstain have less annual income, are yougner, are more likely to be unqualified worker/employee or be incapacited (such are people in jail). Same for those who are not registered where they live or aren't registered at all (around 10% of those who have the right to vote).

It's easy to spit on every one of them.

I wonder how many were Ber-Melenchon or bust

I gave the number from Friday's poll a few posts above you
30% of Mélenchon's voter said they would abstain

If Le Pen loses, I expect the mother of all sore loser speeches. If I had to make a bingo, I'd expect things like "the system was against us", "the media rigged the election" and "we'll be the first opposition party". Also terrorism, immigration, etc.

This is my case too. But I won't give up. I put my pain au chocolat in a sac. Fuck
The ultimate test is saying "rose" properly !

Maybe South west then?
Family from the Pyrénées living near Sete.
On the Atlantic side, it's definitely a starter.

oh yup! ;)

apparently dumb english men walking into boulangeries saying "chocolate in bread please!", and all the boulangers could understand was "chocolate in" and that became chocolatine.

Well what do you expect from people who actually eat Marmite.

Disgusting.

And speaking of cultural differences, I weep for anybody outside of Bretagne who doesn't know the glory of salted butter. What an empty life.

I've had Breton salted butter before, a local store had a French week once and they sold some. Man it was so good. Brittany is the best. <3

Highest abstention since 1969, so far.

Lguc.jpg

Oreiller

Disgusting.

And speaking of cultural differences, I weep for anybody outside of Bretagne who doesn't know the glory of salted butter. What an empty life it must be.

I remember when we would go on vacation outside of Britanny when I was a kid. My parents would pour table salt on what passes for butter there (which is nothing more than solified oil).

Irminsul

And speaking of cultural differences, I weep for anybody outside of Bretagne who doesn't know the glory of salted butter. What an empty life it must be.
That explains why a good friend of mine refuses to eat non-salted butter. He's half French and his French side is from Brittany.

I usually buy salted butter as well but I don't think there's much of a difference tbqh.

I remember when we would go on vacation outside of Britanny when I was a kid. My parents would pour table salt on what passes for butter there (which is nothing more than solified oil).

Now finally this song makes sense to me, it's not "Borders of Salt" it's "Butters of Salt".
Just trying to find an excuse to post Dan Ar Braz tbh.

7aged

Come on Frenchies, don't fail us today.
Got some macarons (geddit?) as a celebratory dessert for dinner tonight. Please give us a >20% margin.

Oh and team chocolatine. Pain au chocolat is a stupid name. It's viennoiserie, not bread

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
High abstention might mean something ephemeral to the election (protest, foregone conclusion, Macron Is A Bad Banker Man!!!!), as pundits are claiming, or it might just mean that French presidential elections are subject to the same declining turnout that has impacted literally every OECD country over the last 20-30 years.

kami_sama

I like how this thread has become a way for folk from different parts of France and the world to vent the different words for things lol

TyrantII

High abstention might mean something ephemeral to the election (protest, foregone conclusion, Macron Is A Bad Banker Man!!!!), as pundits are claiming, or it might just mean that French presidential elections are subject to the same declining turnout that has impacted literally every OECD country over the last 20-30 years.

Which is the lifeblood of fringe conservative parties.

The only thing worse then their rabid base who only operates on the echo chamber, is that these parties over the world have convinced moderate voters their votes don't matter, and convinced dissatisfied leftists that they'll come out on top if only they burn it all down.

Trouble

Banned

Aren't the abstention numbers for people who actually showed up to vote, but declined to pick an eligible candidate? Rather than people who didn't show up.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Which is the lifeblood of fringe conservative parties.

The only thing worse then their rabid base who only operates on the echo chamber, is that these parties over the world have convinced moderate voters their votes don't matter, and convinced dissatisfied leftists that they'll come out on top if only they burn it all down.

Yeah, I don't disagree that general ennui and disengagement has empowered fringe parties -- I merely meant to say that I think people concluding this says something about President Macron's legitimacy in specific are missing a broader pattern.

Aren't the abstention numbers for people who actually showed up to vote, but declined to pick an eligible candidate? Rather than people who didn't show up.

Blank / null votes are separate from abstentions.

Coffinhal

That and failling public policies since 2002 despite high turnouts in 2002 (second round), 2007 and 2012 where people hoped and were quickly unsatisfied.

Macron is honestly the best candidate the neoliberal center-wing could hope for, with a solid platform for that ideological Framework and a movement that is in line with the 2010s renewal of political parties of the left and the center ; but the historical trend is deeper than everything he could have achieved to invert it.

Nepenthe

Came into the thread to get a feel for how the election's going and saw a fight about chocolate.

I guess that's a good sign. xD

Regardless, hoping the polls close with a good outcome. Don't follow in our footsteps, France!

So, with FN filtering out some media this evening, others like Le Monde and Liberation are boycotting them tonight in protest.

Edit: I need to find a stream of both venues as right now, it should be a good metric of how things are going to turn out.
I want to see NDA choke on his thirty coins.

Pomerlaw

Le beurre demi-sel est le meilleur.
half salted butter is the best. With Canadian milk of course (we have enough hormones already).

Alx

So, with FN filtering out some media this evening, others like Le Monde and Liberation are boycotting them tonight in protest.

Edit: I need to find a stream of both venues as right now, it should be a good metric of how things are going to turn out.
I want to see NDA choke on his thirty coins.

I'm on my way to the Louvres, but I'm sad I'll miss the FN speech...

*e : Salted butter is convenient to eat with radish (apparently it's also a French thing to eat radish with butter and salt). I like it fine in general, but was told to cut on salt in general so it's just regular butter for me now.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It's weird that Le Pen picked Vincennes for her victory lap. Just looking at the 1st round's results, she actually ranked 5th there! Even Hamon did better than her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom