• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eolz

Abstainers are surely those on the left who view Macron as a neoliberal stooge.

We know this based on how first-round parties behaved (Far Right non-FN endorsed FN, everyone else endorsed EM, except Mélanchon who endorsed Being Really Angry At The Second Round!!!!) and also based on the plain reading of those who abstained describing why.

It's fine that there are those on the left who disagree with me and sincerely believe that Macron is a far right conservative liberal neoliberal guy who is going to ruin France, but I feel very comfortable dismissing them as misreading the situation entirely, engaging in hysterical theatrics, and lacking context to other elections or to other countries or both.

If we are to talk about differentially high abstention in this election (as opposed to structural abstention across all elections, or as opposed to a general trend towards abstention in the OECD countries), it is surely a phenomenon of the left.

I completely agree with you.
Both from anecdotal evidence and a good following of the campagin.

RPGCrazied

Good to know there is a little bit of sanity left in the world. France is lucky not to have the electoral college like we Americans do. If not for that we wouldn't have the disaster known as Trump.

Twitter toxic as ever. All I see is "RIP France" "The invasion is now imminent" and guess what, they all come from accounts with American flags and Trump supporters

The same pricks and their forebears also tell us the invasion already took place. They have no consistency, quelle surprise.

GreyWind

LqZB9r1.png

I've seen these people replying to other twitter threads and posting graphics images. So fucking sad.

mo60

Macron's winning a lot of the places le pen won in the first round right now. I wouldn't be surprised if le pen only won a few departments at the end.

I'd rather have the SPD win, even if it's not probable.
A red-red-green coalition would be terrible and Schulz a bad Chancellor. He doesn't have the right temper to lead a country as pragmatic as Germany.
Mutti's chicken will come home to roost anyway.

Congratulations to the French. You did well !

tuxfool

Banned

We know this based on how first-round parties behaved (Far Right non-FN endorsed FN, everyone else endorsed EM, except Mélanchon who endorsed Being Really Angry At The Second Round!!!!) and also based on the plain reading of those who abstained describing why.

It's fine that there are those on the left who disagree with me and sincerely believe that Macron is a far right conservative liberal neoliberal guy who is going to ruin France, but I feel very comfortable dismissing them as misreading the situation entirely, engaging in hysterical theatrics, and lacking context to other elections or to other countries or both.

If we are to talk about differentially high abstention in this election (as opposed to structural abstention across all elections, or as opposed to a general trend towards abstention in the OECD countries), it is surely a phenomenon of the left.

Yeah, though in many ways I'm talking about the rhetoric (and sometimes conduct) of a lot of the left wings in plenty of countries, with a tendency to lack perspective on the placement of others across the political spectrum. Missing a healthy dose in nuance from the bombs they lob at others, their hyperbole doesn't do their messaging any favours.

RPGCrazied

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump

Congratulations to Emmanuel Macron on his big win today as the next President of France. I look very much forward to working with him!

Lmao. Like he really wanted him to win. He already wanted Le Pen to win, because she is strong on borders. He actually said that.

Sinsem

Some stats in this twitter thread

20% of FIllon voters voted for Le Pen
43% of Macron voters did it to oppose Le Pen
61% of the voters wish Macron doesn't have a majority in the assembly
More at the link.

Coffinhal

Polls tell us that
1) Most Marine Le Pen's new voters come from Fillon and Dupont Aignan electorates (20 and 30%)
2) Less than 10% of Mélenchon's voters did vote for Le Pen. 2% for Hamon. So there's a big margin between the right-wing electorates and the left-wing electorate, who strongly rejects the far-right (less porosity)
3) Former governement parties (LR/PS) have a lower abstention rate than parties that are more radical (JLM/DLF) : 17 for both against 23/24% for both
4) Although that's not a big margin and there's not big difference between the left and the right-wings there

For the pleasure to say it I'll add
5) Mélenchon didn't say what to do to his voters other than "don't vote Le Pen" but they still voted in a clear majority for Macron (more than Fillon's electorate= and gave 7% to Le Pen.

C_P4EXzXsAEwRII.jpg

C_P4GTCWAAElELp.jpg

Latest Ipsos poll

Nice margin! Well done France. We (as in Austria) could learn from that.
Though we elected a left-of-center intellectual, that's playing on hard mode.

They'll probably forget about the entire French thing and get there in no time flat.

(Of course with the AfD currently polling at ~10% I don't think there's much for them there)

If they can find some way to stick it to Merkel, they'll be there.

Man, Merkel, talk about a soulless bitch amirite fellas? Also did you guys hear about how those damn sexists in France refused to vote for a woman? What a bunch of sexists. Sexists are the worst. /s

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Lmao. Like he really wanted him to win. He already wanted Le Pen to win, because she is strong on borders. He actually said that.

Trump likes whoever he's talking to at that moment. He has no great political affiliation beyond himself. He's just an idiot.

Binabik15

Good job, France. C-c-c-c-combobreaker.

I might play a few rounds of They Shall Not Pass maps in celebration, but I'm tired and binging Attack on Titan.

PS: Say what you want, a stronger SPD with less infighting is what I want. That and Die Linke, AfD and CSU to be beaten silly.

Bien fait, la France.

Les autres pays européens sont reconnaissants pour votre rationalité et votre sensibilité.

Merci, merci.

I really think we've dodged a bullet here. Le Pen as président would jeopardize the whole European project, and May and Putin would've celebrated tonight. Let's keep Europe strong and united against external threats. We need France and Germany to guide us to a stable and prosperous common future.

🇫🇷🇫🇷🇫🇷🥖
Yes. Le Pen would have nuked the European unity, economic and security corporation, which would have been a disaster for our continent.

mo60

Polls tell us that
1) Most Marine Le Pen's new voters come from Fillon and Dupont Aignan electorates (20 and 30%)
2) Less than 10% of Mélenchon's voters did vote for Le Pen. 2% for Hamon. So there's a big margin between the right-wing electorates and the left-wing electorate, who strongly rejects the far-right (less porosity)
3) Former governement parties (LR/PS) have a lower abstention rate than parties that are more radical (JLM/DLF) : 17 for both against 23/24% for both
4) Although that's not a big margin and there's not big difference between the left and the right-wings there

For the pleasure to say it I'll add
5) Mélenchon didn't say what to do to his voters other than "don't vote Le Pen" but they still voted in a clear majority for Macron and gave 7% to Le Pen.

C_P4EXzXsAEwRII.jpg

C_P4GTCWAAElELp.jpg

Latest Ipsos poll

Wow. Marine le Pen won less NDA voters then expected while macron won slightly more then expected and almost won a plurality of NDA voters.

I'm someone who probably would have tended to support Mélenchon if I were French but I can say that everything I've read about Macron implies he was a million times better than Hillary was in the US. No scandals of any kind (although it helps he was a political neophyte), no questionable business dealings, no philandering, nothing really at all. He seems like the cleanest guy who could have run for the Presidency. The only real knock against him was that he worked as an investment banker before joining the French government.

Unlike with Hillary, I don't think I would have any issues voting for Macron. I generally regard Clinton/Blair style of Third Way politics with distaste but Macron seems much more palatable than oh I don't know the far right and the National Front. I'm not sure why French leftists are so mad. I would have jumped at the chance to vote for Macron as my second choice instead of Hillary.

Durante

I mean, being forced to vote for the lesser evil is quite annoying, and it leading to increased abstention is not uncommon.

That's one reason I am in favor of ranked/preferential voting systems which prevent that situation from occurring in the first place.

I'm done eating, you can turn the tears down.
Also if you don't have any numbers you're talking out of your ass.
It's as valid as me saying that Mélenchon got as much because of his shitty hologram.
We'll see how it goes, if public services are like SNCF, RATP or Orange might as well kill them because they provide bad services at a high price for jackshit.
Fuck them.

The numbers were posted a few pages ago and are available everywhere now.
If you were not so busy making replies worthy of a twelve-year-old
, you could have seen them.

And you last sentence confirms what i thought.
yeah, instead of making them better, or at least go back to what it was, just kill them.
Very smart.

Marine Le Pen getting shades on live TV.

This evening is so good

Gaf I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to EU politics, but what does this mean for Brexit now that Macron won?

France and Germany (most likely) will be able to work together on the same length in regards to Brexit which is a bad news for the UK. They'll have less chance to create friction between the biggest EU countries. That'll make the negotiation way harder for May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom