• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz

Apart from the euphoria I am feeling atm about FN loosing I hope that Macron can find the power to bring about some change for France and probably for Europe too. With the UK out and the general reality check Europe got with the threats from the far right , reforms are certainly on everyone's agenda. The EU has to change for the better.

Coffinhal

It's a little strange that you're very mad and very defensive at a guy for reading too much into your choice not to stand against a fascist hatemonger trying to undermine your country's way of life, but you're extremely ready to read too much into a survey about peoples' #1 reason for voting for a candidate. Is it possible you're just projecting because you don't want people to like Macron and you're extremely insecure about your choice to abstain? If you want emotional validation, you're not going to find it here.

I'm not mad, I'm just tired of hearing people insulting people who abstain or chose the white ballot. It's just childish, selfish and off-ground to be mad at them. You should try to understand that kind of political expression, or non-political expression, the very reasons that led to this behaviour and what it says about our democracy.

That being said, I voted for Macron today. I know my priorities, but I respect people refusing to chose, and I don't insult anyone who disagrees with me (whether it's a FN voter, a Fillon voter, a pro-Macron...°. That's the way democracy works in a Republic. So your psychological evaluation is kind of irrevelant, sorry.

Majine

Banned
Trump sent a very mature congratulation message on Twitter to Macron.

Which lets me believe one of his people wrestled the phone from him.

Bien fait, la France.

Les autres pays européens sont reconnaissants pour votre rationalité et votre sensibilité.

Merci, merci.

I really think we've dodged a bullet here. Le Pen as président would jeopardize the whole European project, and May and Putin would've celebrated tonight. Let's keep Europe strong and united against external threats. We need France and Germany to guide us to a stable and prosperous common future.

🇫🇷🇫🇷🇫🇷🥖

Haven't seen one, but it's hard to see Le Pen winning any demographic if it's 65/35
Well I guess it's all relatively speaking if Macron's support is largely older and Le Pen's is skewed younger, even if Macron wins over every demographic. It's the opposite of the UK and the US so I was curious how true it held once out of the first round.

GreyWind

Twitter toxic as ever. All I see is "RIP France" "The invasion is now imminent" and guess what, they all come from accounts with American flags and Trump supporters

Congratulations, France, on being less stupid than we are and avoiding the election of a fascist clown.

If Trump ran for elections in France, he wouldnt even get the 500 signatures from mayors to run for the election.

On the other hand, the problem clearly is the electoral college.

Loxley

Trump sent a very mature congratulation message on Twitter to Macron.

Which lets me believe one of his people wrestled the phone from him.

Oh don't worry, once Trump himself actually gets his phone back it'll be some rant about rigged polls or France needing to take its country back or fake news or some bullshit about how he heard Macron wiretapped Le Pen.

Eolz

For those that missed it, letter from Juncker:
C_Pkn5EXgAAyu7k.jpg

Mortemis

Banned
Twitter toxic as ever. All I see is "RIP France" "The invasion is now imminent" and guess what, they all come from accounts with American flags and Trump supporters

It's hilarious how worked up their getting over a different country. Makes me wondering if they'll be on suicide watch if trump loses in 2020.

Coffinhal

Demos:

https://twitter.com/albertonardelli/status/861303412687810561

Most abstentions were 18-24 year olds. Le Pen's best demo was 35-49 year olds, but she still got crushes 57-43.

Her other strong demographics :

She won among workers (56/44 in her favor), it was close among (unskilled) employees (46/44), people who didn't get the baccalauréat (45/55), people who have less than 1250e monthly income (45/55) unemployed people (47/53) WHO VOTED (because abstain more than other demographics)

Nothing surprising though

http://www.ipsos.fr/decrypter-socie...iologie-electorats-et-profil-abstentionnistes

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Don't just make this about the French left.

Abstainers are surely those on the left who view Macron as a neoliberal stooge.

We know this based on how first-round parties behaved (Far Right non-FN endorsed FN, everyone else endorsed EM, except Mélanchon who endorsed Being Really Angry At The Second Round!!!!) and also based on the plain reading of those who abstained describing why.

It's fine that there are those on the left who disagree with me and sincerely believe that Macron is a far right conservative liberal neoliberal guy who is going to ruin France, but I feel very comfortable dismissing them as misreading the situation entirely, engaging in hysterical theatrics, and lacking context to other elections or to other countries or both.

If we are to talk about differentially high abstention in this election (as opposed to structural abstention across all elections, or as opposed to a general trend towards abstention in the OECD countries), it is surely a phenomenon of the left.

all joking aside, it is interesting to see right wing reactions to this election. Some of it is definitely ethnocentric Americans projecting their ideas of politics onto a country that has historically been more liberal. But I do think some of the shock has to come from the fact that this is a stiff counterpoint to the ongoing narrative that right wing populism is a global trend that the majority of civilized society openly accepts. It adds some credence to the idea that Trump and Brexit are outliers on the global stage, the former of which losing the popular vote by a fair margin illustrating that there is a growing contingent of citizens who actively don't want populism.

If US Democrats manage to reclaim the senate in 2018 then it'll be interesting to see what that does to this growing narrative on modern populism.

The thing with Brexit is it was a referendum on the EU. Marine Le Pen winning would be like Trump or Nigel Farage winning and in fact Le Pen has gained more traction in France than Farage ever did in the UK, both are fringe figures ultimately. Trump stands out on his own with a huge vote, only a few percentage points under Hillary and took all those states.

Staunch Labour voters who are on the left voted to leave the EU. The UK politically has always pulling in another direction with the EU for decades and had many concessions given. It wasn't right wing populism but something the UK has never really bought into since the 1980s and 90s.

Not that this will change the narrative.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Macron is as moderate and progressive as they come. Just because he doesn't belong to one of the traditional parties doesn't mean he's a rejection of liberal globalisation. His win is an endorsement by voters of continued free trade and openness between countries.

I'd be more convinced if the vote wasn't so negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom