• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen any problems with the BBC's coverage.
I didn't check the beeb to be fair, but the Guardian has been pretty terrible and beneath what I expected.

There's only so many times I can read variations on the "populists will win and we filthy liberals deserve it" hot take.

(That has become "this election where they lost means populists will win")

I'm done eating, you can turn the tears down.
Also if you don't have any numbers you're talking out of your ass.
It's as valid as me saying that Mélenchon got as much because of his shitty hologram.
We'll see how it goes, if public services are like SNCF, RATP or Orange might as well kill them because they provide bad services at a high price for jackshit.
Fuck them.
Honestly SNCF is not perfect but it's about a million times better than train services in UK/US (where they are not state-owned). I think this kind of infrastructure does not lend itself to anything but state control (same for RATP, though the RATP does indeed suck).
Orange is different because the cost of using someone else's telecom infrastructure is very low, so free-market solutions (with state-enforced sharing of infrastructure, as opposed to monopolistic markets like the US) work perhaps better there. My hatred of minitel-pushing France telecom era might be affecting my view here though.

mo60

Le Pen has won zero departments right now.Strong marine le pen departments in the first round are all being won by macron so far.

Xando

Gaf I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to EU politics, but what does this mean for Brexit now that Macron won?
This is macron in a recent interview
C_P9ADEXYAA-RF2.jpg

What's next month?

UK elections.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Macron on Brexit:

"We have to accept that there are losses. But it's the British who will lose the most. You cannot enjoy rights in Europe if you are not a member - otherwise it will fall apart.

"The British are making a serious mistake over the long term. Boris Johnson enjoys giving flamboyant speeches but has no strategic vision; the turmoil he created the day after Brexit proves it.

"Nigel Farage and Mr Johnson are responsible for this crime: they sailed the ship into battle and jumped overboard at the moment of crisis.

"Theresa May has handled it but what has been happening since then? On the geopolitical level as well as on the financial, realignment and submission to the US. What is going to happen is not 'taking back control': it's servitude."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/77...l-Macron-Theresa-May-Brexit-France-Britain-EU

Damn. lol. Ice burn at the last one.

Smeagol

Well, it certainly is a relief, but that's about it.
The far-right claiming a third of the vote is nothing to rejoice over.

I mean, being forced to vote for the lesser evil is quite annoying, and it leading to increased abstention is not uncommon.

That's one reason I am in favor of ranked/preferential voting systems which prevent that situation from occurring in the first place.

unless all the options suck in preferential voting. It happens.

A red-red-green coalition would be terrible and Schulz a bad Chancellor. He doesn't have the right temper to lead a country as pragmatic as Germany.
Mutti's chicken will come home to roost anyway.

Congratulations to the French. You did well !

I disagree. I also think Germany could need some change. Schulz has shown in EU parliament or f.e. in Israel that he has exactly the right temper against the current far-right resurgence.

And the most important thing is that I doubt the CDU will do anything in regards to homosexuality in the next 4 years, if they're elected. I have a few gay friends. Even regardless of gay marriage, the fact that gays can't adopt under current law is a travesty.

Jasup

Gaf I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to EU politics, but what does this mean for Brexit now that Macron won?

Like others have said, basically nothing. The UK decided to not participate in the EU any more. Every signatory country has an option to leave the agreement and no other country can change that.

It's the right result for everyone.

But I wouldn't go so far to say I'm 'proud of France'. That's still way too many voting for Sea Pen. NF is the French equivalent of the BNP, never mind even the likes of UKIP. Abhorrent.

And the whole disassociation frim her father, then her party too two weeks ago. What a load of bollocks.

Regginator

Good. Macron is still not sitting perfectly comfortable with me, but I suppose everything is better than Le Pen. I had hoped for Mélenchon, especially since how tight everything was in the first round.

RPGCrazied

Maybe France looked on at our election we just had and the disaster that is Trump and were like fuck that and voted for the saner candidate.

Belfast

Great job, France! The fight is never over, but you've made the best choice you could have. I know it's an incredibly complex system to maintain, but Anything that strengthens the EU at this point is a good thing, IMO. And this is coming from an American. We really fucked it up, so we need you guys to continue leading this world in an overall better and more enlightened direction.

Not familiar with BNP, so checked out their Twitter out of curiosity. I found it interesting that they rag on UKIP quite a fair bit. Anyone know why?
I didn't even know BNP was still active, since the whole Nick Griffin thing. Disgusting party that ended up showing its true colours. UKIP is just 'soft BNP' in my eyes. The worst side of Brexit, luckily UKIP will be extinct after the general election.

Alt-right folks are probably going to have field day with that since the poem was written by a German and Marcon is a Merkel stooge according to them.

I guess the signal he's sending is that it's the official anthem of the European Union.

The most pro-European and most anti-Putin candidate won. From an international perspective that couldn't have gone better.

Trouble

Banned
I guess the signal he's sending is that it's the official anthem of the European Union.

The most pro-European and most anti-Putin candidate won. From an international perspective that couldn't have gone better.

Oh, no shit. I had no idea the EU even had an anthem. Wild.

Loxley

Does the US have any young and handsome democrats who speak French that could run against Trump in 2020? That appears to be a winning combination :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom