• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eolz

His second speech was way better.

It represents nothing. It represents someone not wanting to chose between two candidates. It represents someone who couldn't for the life of theirs vote for someone they don't agree 100% with. Someone, who doesn't exist. It represents a wasted vote. It represents nothing.

I disagree. Absention represents nothing at all.
Blank vote represents what you said, but while it's not recognized (yet), it represents something. It's still worthless compared to a "real" vote currently though.

mike6467

r/the_meltdown is covering their meltdown right now.

Incredible. I'm not exposed to this mindset frequently, so this is pretty surprising. Just the massive amount of fear I'm seeing in all these comments all over...Is it legit fear of terrorism? Do people really think that every country on earth is on the brink of being overtaken by radical extremists (not the white ones of course)?

A blank vote is a valid vote. I'm the kind of voter that chooses a lesser evil but my brother doesn't he leaves it black and I try to respect that, especially as he lives abroad and comes home to vote anyway.
Vote abstentions are the problem and shameful.

Coffinhal

Oh please. If there's a choice between someone you don't like and someone who wants to kill the EU and turn France into a Russian lapdog, a blank vote only portrays one message. That the voter played with the fate of an entire nation, just to "stick it to the system".

Being disappointed by politics is one thing, throwing everything into chaos "just because" is another.

Well, I guess those people can be happy others did vote for Macron. I'd also love to know how blank US voters feel about their "message" now.

No. That's just what you see, but I don't see how your opinion* is more relevant than the one of those who actually voted blank (or abstained to be fair). *an opinion based on absoluty no data or research but just your two cents. Le bistrot du commerce quoi !
Some people here have a curious definition of democracy, very authoritarian and illiberal

Joe

This point can not be made enough. Good job France.

n3wDUjE.png

oti

Banned
His second speech was way better.

I disagree. Absention represents nothing at all.
Blank vote represents what you said, but while it's not recognized (yet), it represents something. It's still worthless compared to a "real" vote currently though.

If it was part of the system, sure. But it's not. It's literally throwing away a vote.

I really don't care how blank voters feel. Their feelings don't matter. Facts matter. And the fact is, their vote means nothing when it comes to the result.

Oh please. If there's a choice between someone you don't like and someone who wants to kill the EU and turn France into a Russian lapdog, a blank vote only portrays one message. That the voter played with the fate of an entire nation, just to "stick it to the system".

Being disappointed by politics is one thing, throwing everything into chaos "just because" is another.

Well, I guess those people can be happy others did vote for Macron. I'd also love to know how blank US voters feel about their "message" now.
This is your point of view but for someone else maybe those two were both bad candidates. People shouldn't always vote for the lesser evil. I do, but democracy doesn't work like that. Abstention is dumb, blank vote isn't.

Shahadan

What a ridiculous thing to say. He fully made use of his democratic duty by saying he supports neither candidates. It would be a different story if he didn't vote all together, but he did. He just didn't pick Macron or Le Pen. Voting blanco is a perfectly reasonable, dare I say in this case even understandable, alternative.

Too bad it's still considered worthless by this system and actually counted indistinguishably with the number of misprinted/torn/jokey/nonvalid votes and will be forgotten by history and candidates alike.

Even the media spend more time talking about abstention percentage than blank votes.

TyrantII

Incredible. I'm not exposed to this mindset frequently, so this is pretty surprising. Just the massive amount of fear I'm seeing in all these comments all over...Is it legit fear of terrorism? Do people really think that every country on earth is on the brink of being overtaken by radical extremists (not the white ones of course)?

Fear, hate, and misinformation is the currency center right / far right platforms deal in.

Change is bad. Non-white is bad. Your problems are not due to bad policy, your problems are due to the heathen hoards stealing and sacking your village right under your nose.

It's how they keep people from realizing they have a hand in their pocket the whole time.

This is your point of view but for someone else maybe those two were both bad candidates. People shouldn't always vote for the lesser evil. I do, but democracy doesn't work like that. Abstention is dumb, blank vote isn't.

Blank vote has exactly the same effect as abstention if it isn't counted in the system as "None of the above", which it isn't. The worth of both is exactly equal.

Many feel like they're already losing the culture war so any setbacks mean society is doomed or whatever.

There's also the snowball effect as they watch them lose election after election lol

TyrantII

If it was part of the system, sure. But it's not. It's literally throwing away a vote.

I really don't care how blank voters feel. Their feelings don't matter. Facts matter. And the fact is, their vote means nothing when it comes to the result.

No vote is no say. A vote at least means you have standing to move a candidate into your side by lobbying them.

I'm amazed people thing politicians are some sort of bedrock stone that are unmovable. The real change comes when you influence them by holding the cards to their support.

You want to change policy? Organise their supports around an issue. Watch how quickly the "leader" falls in line.

mo60

Macron may end up winning the VAR department once all votes are counted. The difference between Le Pen and Macron in that department is less then 0.5%.

Aswell

I do understand there's a difference here, but when translated, both basically mean "Well done", don't they? So what is that difference?

For Le Pen: "Bien fait" here means "You deserved what happened to you." (losing)
For Macron: "Bien joué" means "Good job/Well done."

Addi

I do understand there's a difference here, but when translated, both basically mean "Well done", don't they? So what is that difference?

Bien Joué means Well played, Bien fait means well done, but it's more in a "you got what you deserved" kind of way

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
For Le Pen: "Bien fait" here means "You deserved what happened to you." (losing)
For Macron: "Bien joué" means" Good job/Well done."

I read it as the equivalent of saying LePen fought well, but that Macron outplayed her, but I don't know where Libération stands.

sikkinixx

Congrats France. I hope he does well for you guys. We need all the rational people we can running this stupid fucking world, even if they aren't perfect.

Fularu

Banned
The Rothschild conspiracy nonsense is a pretty common thing in both the far-right and the far-left, and is deeply rooted in antisemitism.

It has nothing to do with that, just a reference to his past as a banker for the Rotschild bank, as I told Baron, I would have used BNP or Crédit Lyonais or HSBC if he worked there instead.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It has nothing to do with that, just a reference to his past as a banker for the Rotschild bank, as I told Baron, I would have used BNP or Crédit Lyonais or HSBC if he worked there instead.

What illegal things has he done as a banker?

Aswell

I read it as the equivalent of saying LePen fought well, but that Macron outplayed her, but I don't know where Libération stands.
I don't think Libération means it that way, especially since they are left-oriented. It is probably also a reference to the fact that several media/journalists have not been granted access to Le Pen's candidacy HQ tonight, and that Libération did not go there as well to show solidarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom