• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Could you expand further?

Asking genuinely.

Macron is relatively fiscally conservative and ran on a platform of cutting down workers' rights, reducing various government programmes, liberalizing parts of the French economy, and so on.

Fularu

Banned
Macron is relatively fiscally conservative and ran on a platform of cutting down workers' rights, reducing various government programmes, liberalizing parts of the French economy, and so on.

He's a disaster for the left and to see so many progressives flocking to him like the worthless shitstains they were cemented my idea that the PS is full of opportunistic assholes who betrayed everything they supposedly believed in to "win".

TyrantII

He's a disaster for the left and to see so many progressives flocking to him like the worthless shitstains they were cemented my idea that the PS is full of opportunistic assholes who betrayed everything they supposedly believed in to "win".

When the storm is approaching you save what you can and live another day to rebuild. Dying in the muck makes rebuilding hard.

Since we're talking about policies and governance that has material effects on millions of lives, the least bad option is the best course if you're concerned for minimizing suffering.

I get the call for purity and to burn everything down and start over. But history isn't exactly on the side of the left when the fires dies down. Progress is a stead march, not an immaculate conception.

Fularu

Banned
The storm is approaching you save what you can and live another day to rebuild. Dying in the muck makes rebuilding hard.

Since we're talking about policies and governance that has material effects on millions of lives, the least bad option is the best course of you're concerned for minimizing suffering.

I'm not talking about the second round, I'm talking about all the PS figureheads who "abandonned ship" as soon as Hamon won and endorsed Macron.

Anyway I'm expecting the french right to win in 5 weeks.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The storm is approaching you save what you can and live another day to rebuild. Dying in the muck makes rebuilding hard.

Since we're talking about policies and governance that has material effects on millions of lives, the least bad option is the best course of you're concerned for minimizing suffering.

I think he was talking more about people like Valls who didn't even wait to 2R to abandon Hamon, and have effectively killed the PS.

pswii60

Macron is better for the UK than Le Pen is, I don't understand how the meme to the contrary has gotten so much prominence. Regardless of what happens with Brexit, the UK will remain incredibly heavily interlinked with other European economies just by virtue of geography and history. When the rest of Europe does badly, that drags on the UK's economy. Given that Macron will be less bad for Europe's economy than Le Pen, Macron is therefore less bad than Le Pen for the UK.
This, obviously. Le Pen winning would have been an absolute disaster for the UK. At least Macron adds some stability to Europe and stops the EU worrying about other countries following the UK, so they can tone down the punishment speak.

TyrantII

I think he was talking more about people like Valls who didn't even wait to 2R to abandon Hamon, and have effectively killed the PS.

Gotcha.

Throwing in the white flag too early is bad strategy, especially when concessions can be garnered for support.

Fularu

Banned

Exactly

I was so disapointed in Delanoë when he did it. Valls? I knew he would (le mec retourne plus souvent sa veste que Dutronc) but the rest?

Yeah, It's pretty hard to get if you aren't French.

Nah, it was pretty easy to understand for me :p (Portuguese)

I like how every american and Europeans outside France are congratulating them on doing the right thing. I still remember when we all called them cowards for having the temerity to call out Blair&Bush on their bullshit WMD report that would lead to all this shit we have now.

Freedom Fries to celebrate,anyone wants?

It's well known that "Rothchilds banker" is a common anti-semitic slur as you fucking well know. When you have literal Nazi's all across the web referring to him as a (((Rothchilds banker))) then you really have no excuse to play dumb.

And honestly, who gives a flying fuck if he worked as an investment banker anyway?!

It may be in some parts but for most people into this conspiracy, Rothchild is a family of the elite, part of a group of families who control the world. They're merely a family amongst a list of elite. For many when they say Rothchild they're just saying the shadow elite.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly

I was so disapointed in Delanoë when he did it. Valls? I knew he would (le mec retourne plus souvent sa veste que Dutronc) but the rest?

It's a long path to rebuild for the French left. The PS is within inches of totally disintegrating, and FI is basically totally built around Melenchon and isn't a party proper, per se. Difficult to see what happens next. Hamon was a good candidate, but even if he decides to run again, it's unclear where he gets the resources or infrastructure from. Dark days ahead if Macron goes ahead as planned; I fear the FN could do better in 2022 than most expect.

Cabaratier

Neo Member
It may be in some parts but for most people into this conspiracy, Rothchild is a family of the elite, part of a group of families who control the world. They're merely a family amongst a list of elite. For many when they say Rothchild they're just saying the shadow elite.

=jew bankers rule the world. It's just slightly less explicit.

On topic, well done France! I have (perhaps naive) hope that he will not be the neoliberal nightmare some fear he will be, but that will probably depend heavily on the parliamentary elections as well.

Mael

Woah I expected a trouncing but not this large.
The tears from the Insoumis couldn't possibly sustain me for long anyway, good to see that the FN is providing so much more!

Seriously though without Hamon getting shafted so much and Fillon shitting the bed so badly Macron would have been impossible.
That's one for the history books!

For the FN2022 people, who do you expect to run then?
It's not going to be the witch, she's burned and showed her ass quite clearly.
She even called for a restructuration of her party in her speech.

7aged

SMH at the salty Melonchon supporters here.
Looking from across the channel, I would love a candidate like Macron.

Here, we're given a choice between May-hem and the shambles. I tell you what, let's swap. Give him to us and take Corbyn of our hands. You'll love him

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously though without Hamon getting shafted so much and Fillon shitting the bed so badly Macron would have been impossible.
That's one for the history books!

It does mean Macron needs to be seriously careful, though. He is here only but for a series of very unlikely and fortunate events. He is not as well-supported as the 2R results show and France is, under the surface, still very divided. There are a lot of problems that still need solutions.

Kuldar

Exactly

Hu? Delanoë was sure to go to Macron, he never was a hard leftist. Anyone from the PS at Paris is pretty much closer to Macron than Hamon.

Jb

The Louvre show was great. It was basically a concert with a bunch of DJs and singers + a final speech by Macron. The way his voice echoed in the esplanade gave it a nice sense of weight and I liked that he used Ode to Joy (the EU theme) for his entrance.

Best thing was how diverse and upbeat the crowd was. People were laughing and talking with each other. Glad I went.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Investment bankers have been destroying the lives of millions of people for decades. Yeah, I give a fuck.

I mean, I get the concern, and we'll see how much of a caricature of an investment banker he is, but that particular part of his career lasted for 4 years. It's not like it's his whole life. I've been at my communications company for 4 years (I'm in my early 30s) too, and I sure as hell don't define myself or my mindset as that of a marketing guy. 4 years is not enough to warp your mind. Genuine question to people who know the world of investment banking: is it inherently a horrible trade? Is literally everyone in that field a cold-hearted bastard? Or, like any other field, does it also have people who won't just siphon the money and life out of you but are actually decent?

Could you expand further?

Asking genuinely.

To be quite frank, I'm not even sure what it's telling of, which is why I didn't expand. I guess it tells two things:
- that other countries don't actually have to live daily with the choices we make for our country, but mostly get the nice side effects (e.g. the preservation of the EU)
- that we, the French, as usual, like to complain, and we fail to see/care about the big picture. Yeah, Macron is a big question mark in many regards, and he is worrying in others, but he's not this across-the-board terribad choice some people are making him out to be - unless he's deliberately concealing his darker side, who knows. And if the bad parts are what it takes to maintain a modicum of stability and peace in the EU, and to make the wave of populism that could lead to a new war crash, then I'm more than ready to make that sacrifice. Even though I'm not exactly rich and work in a tiny startup company, as opposed to big companies Macron is supposedly prioritizing. Worst comes to worst, it can all be over 5 years from now.

I know I've been saying this over and over, but: we'll see. All I'm convinced about is he's still a far better choice than the FN. Even in my worst nightmares, I can't imagine him being remotely as bad for our country and the world as Le Pen. Not in the short or the long run.

Mael

It does mean Macron needs to be seriously careful, though. He is here only but for a series of very unlikely and fortunate events. He is not as well-supported as the 2R results show and France is, under the surface, still very divided. There are a lot of problems that still need solutions.

No disputing that.
However don't sleep on his new party, he seems to have a base and will basically eat what's left of the PS.
He can get a majority but it's not gonna be easy.

Coffinhal

Granted, other countries don't understand all the details and won't have to live in France through a Macron presidency, but to me, it's still pretty telling that everyone in Europe and the US - bar alt-right nutters - seems happy about the outcome except (some of) us.

Because to them the election was a French Trump VS a cool young guy that isn't a national-populist. What was at stake was "another Trump, another Brexit" in a big Western country.

They don't care, don't know about the details of the public policies that Macron would enforce so they don't position themselves the way we do (is he too neoliberal? is he too multiculturalist? etc) because that wasn't their concern - and rightly so, we felt the same way for Trump v. Clinton or Brexit (except if you are a political junky, and I follow some US-UK leftists that care about the détails for instance)

Kuldar

People complaining about Macron program, you know that he won't be able to do anything if he doesn't have a Parliamentary majority right? You know what to do next month.

JordanN

Banned
Saw a sick burn on twitter.

JwhSspp.png

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Real talk: as much as I dislike the "all or nothing" attitude of some of the Insoumis, I wouldn't outright dismiss or mock them too much. I can understand the disappointment, especially when you listen to Mélenchon. The guy is clearly intelligent, and dare I say likeable, and I will never deride or fault a politician, or anyone for that matter, who wants to carry a message of peace and humanity with a real platform for the environment. God knows we need that more than ever. That said, I'll admit I don't know everything about Mélenchon - he never really was an option for me -, and I've seen people complain about a few questionable positions from him, so what do I know.

Fularu

Banned
Hu? Delanoë was sure to go to Macron, he never was a hard leftist. Anyone from the PS at Paris is pretty much closer to Macron than Hamon.

No, I meant it in the sense that he seemed loyal to the party. I never expected Delanoë to be among those to kill it.

pulsemyne

As expected the UK wank rags i.e the sun and the daily mail don;t give it a mention on their front pages. Only the broadsheets do and they focus on it possibly making brexit hard for us. Good. A part of me wants that to happen just so twats can wake up to what they voted for.

A Warren/Sanders ticket will do the job. Especially if many Americans won't be so happy with Trump in four years.

Warren is a horrible idea. The only people that the GOP has focused their attacks on more than Warren are Obama and Hillary.

Having Warren as the nominee is basically walking into a trap that the GOP set up.

Warren is a horrible idea. The only people that the GOP has focused their attacks on more than Warren are Obama and Hillary.

Having Warren as the nominee is basically walking into a trap that the GOP set up.
Isn't Warren significantly more popular than Hilary though? And her message is more resonating with the anti-wall street sentiment that people have.

Coffinhal

I always thought of Brittany as a bastion for the left, so I would have expected them to be less pro Macron than they were. Does anyone understand?

Well Macron got a lot of the PS's electorate from 2012 (45% IIRC). Plus the FN is historically very very weak in this region

I think they really dislike FN (generally speaking).
Le Drian, and Ferrand to a lesser extent, probably helped a lot too.

Yep they represent and carry historical roots

Oreiller

I always thought of Brittany as a bastion for the left, so I would have expected them to be less pro Macron than they were. Does anyone understand?

Brittany is closer to the center-left than to the far-left and Jean-Yves Le Drian, the president of our region, is very close to Macron and very popular. It's really not a stretch that so many people voted Macron here.

Congratulations to France! I hope this is the beginning of a trend of the Western world rejecting right-wing populism.

November 2018 feels like an eternity away here in the States, but I'm so happy for you guys.

I think they really dislike FN (generally speaking).
Le Drian, and Ferrand to a lesser extent, probably helped a lot too.
Fair enough. They could have voted for Hamon/Melenchon more in the first round though.
Brittany is closer to the center-left than to the far-left and Jean-Yves Le Drian, the president of our region, is very close to Macron and very popular. It's really not a stretch that so many people voted Macron here.
I see. I always thought of them as quite on the left for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom