• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regginator

Congratulations to France! I hope this is the beginning of a trend of the Western world rejecting right-wing populism.

November 2018 feels like an eternity away here in the States, but I'm so happy for you guys.
I'm not an American, but what is going to happen in November 2018? Surely not new elections, seeing as Trump has only been president for almost 2 years by that time instead of 4...

Fularu

Banned
Nearly 66% percent. Geez, talk about a blowout.

Some perspective

Chirac won 82% to 18% in 2002 against Jean-Marie LePen (Marine's Father).

That she did 34% shows the divide in France

Brittany is closer to the center-left than to the far-left and Jean-Yves Le Drian, the president of our region, is very close to Macron and very popular. It's really not a stretch that so many people voted Macron here.

I'm not sure "Les bonnets rouges" will be very happy with the result (but who knows), I have many friends in Rennes, I'll ask them next time I speak with them.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Some perspective

Wasn't he also like a much worse candidate? He is like a mega racist while she is just a racist.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't he also like a much worse candidate? He is like a mega racist while she is just a racist.

Yes, but at the same time Chirac was a much worse candidate than Macron. Chirac is like France's Bush; to this day nobody has any idea how he won two consecutive elections.

I'm not an American, but what is going to happen in November 2018? Surely not new elections, seeing as Trump has only been president for almost 2 years by that time instead of 4...

Midterm elections, where most of our Congress is up for grabs. Trump will still be President (unless he's impeached), but losing the legislative branch would be a serious blow to his administration.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Isn't it like diminishing returns to nonracism? You could be a sack of crap, if the other person is a raving madman, you will probably win even though you are crap.

Alx

Where are you getting that number? My the big news channel in my country says he's at 64,9% at 92% of votes counted.

Those are the officially counted ballots, but the larger cities arrive last and are very biased against FN. The numbers people consider as the real result are extrapolations based on knowledge of local behavior, until everything is counted.

Mael

It's documented that he never was in it to win unlike his daughter.
So that might explain some things...
Her strategy of cleaning the image of the party actually worked too (and not that shitty Melenchon argument that people that aren't him played into her hand).

Mael

Yes, but at the same time Chirac was a much worse candidate than Macron. Chirac is like France's Bush; to this day nobody has any idea how he won two consecutive elections.

Then again he had a very nice image in year 2k because he didn't do shit for 5 years.
If there's one thing French like, it's politicians who do nothing

Well, didn't he win the second one by running on "Vote for the crook, not the fascist"? :p

mo60

Chirac got lucky that his opponent in 2002 was a member of the le pen family.

Kyrios

Read some of the comments on FB articles, hooooo boy that's a lot of salt from people with American flag profile pics lol

As much as an awful president Chirac might have been, and in spite of whatever motivations for it, I'll remain eternally grateful to Chirac for his strong opposition to the war in Iraq. Though I assume that Jospin and even Le Pen would have done the same.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Nah. That's what she wants you to believe. She's just much better at building a cleaner image and compromising - on paper at least. In that sense, she's a much more conventional politician. Her father didn't care, he basically had no filter. He's very anti-PC. And he was a liability to her, which she was clever enough to recognize early on. That's why she kicked him out of the party.

But they're cut from the same cloth. If they weren't, she would have rejected the party from the get-go and created her own party. Which she is only doing now that she's failed with the FN. The move is right, but too late if you ask me.

Also, the polls weren't as accurate back in 2002, and Le Pen's first-round victory was such a shock to everyone that people instinctively pushed back. With MLP, the writing had been no the wall for ages. I shudder to say this, but people were already used to her making it to the second round. She was normalized.

Some perspective

34% of the people who bothered to vote. If anything it shows more apathy then any great divide.

Now that could turn into a divide, but today is not that day.

Oreiller

I'm not sure "Les bonnets rouges" will be very happy with the result (but who knows), I have many friends in Rennes, I'll ask them next time I speak with them.

Not everybody falls into the same political mold for sure. The younger generation in Rennes is certainly closer to Mélenchon than Macron.

Some perspective

Well your "perspective" ignore the huge ballot of blank votes and the biggest ratio of people that didn't go to vote.

In fact her numbers are similar to her father , it's just that the context is different . The "front national" voter base hasn't expanded that much even if it did expand.

So there's a slimmer of hope after all

Not really. Many American are willfully--even proudly--ignorant. And short-sighted. And easily misled. And deeply stupid.

I say this as an American who wishes it wasn't this way. I love my country, but I don't really recognize it anymore. But maybe that's because I'm finally seeing it for what it's been for a very long time.

Jean-Marie was pretty much a Nazi. His daughter first kicked him out of the party he founded and then set about dramatically moderating the FN's image to make it more palatable to the French right instead of just the extreme fringe right.

And guess what, it's been a really successful venture thus far. Don't sleep on the FN because they will be strong in the parliamentary elections.

Congressional elections. The house of representatives is on 2 year cycles while the Senate is on 6 years cycles, split in 3 waves. If republicans lose the house the republican party loses its ability to pass laws.

Blastoise

Banned
I'm only paying attention to the election now.

But reading his policies, Macron seems like a really good president. Good economic and social strategies. Well done France.

Isn't Warren significantly more popular than Hilary though? And her message is more resonating with the anti-wall street sentiment that people have.

More popular than Hillary is a low fucking bar.

The GOP has been VERY good at turning Warren into their next "Hillary" (a woman that everyone in the GOP is unified in hating).

A better option would be someone that takes the GOP by surprise, as in before the GOP can paint a negative narrative around them. Obama did this VERY well.

Oh, wow, didn't know the US had that. So there's a slimmer of hope after all, let's hope for the best then!

Not really. Many American are willfully--even proudly--ignorant. And short-sighted. And easily misled. And deeply stupid.

I say this as an American who wishes it wasn't this way. I love my country, but I don't really recognize it anymore. But maybe that's because I'm finally seeing it for what it's been for a very long time.

plop's not wrong here, but there's been an encouraging trend in special elections since the inauguration, and Trump is a historically unpopular President. The opposition party usually gains power in a midterm election, and in a year and a half the opposition will be more riled up than its ever been in any of our lifetimes.

I choose to be optimistic about 2018. Possibly because optimism is all I have left at this point.

A better option would be someone that takes the GOP by surprise, as in before the GOP can paint a negative narrative around them. Obama did this VERY well.

Franken 2020!

I'm Minnesotan.

CrazyDude

Congressional elections. The house of representatives is on 2 year cycles while the Senate is on 6 years cycles, split in 3 waves. If republicans lose the house the republican party loses its ability to pass laws.

Although if they keep the Senate the republicans can still pass treaties and appoint people.

GreyWind

wow

2KlPAsc.png

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I'm only paying attention to the election now.

But reading his policies, Macron seems like a really good president. Good economic and social strategies. Well done France.

People are much more sceptical of his strategies over here, owing to the fact that he made some questionable/unpopular decisions back when he was the Minister of the Economy, and that he used to be an investment banker.

If you ask me, his one strong point is his unequivocally pro-EU stance and what seems to be a sincerely positive outlook on the world. Let's hope it's not just fluff though. The rest is up in the air.

Trickster

I was expecting that reading the_donald would be pretty fun tonight. But man, it's honestly the opposite. These people are so far gone from reality and social norms that's honestly just scary.

FStubbs

No maybes, the bolded part is correct.

Koren

The friends I know in Rennes seems to be happy with Macron... It's 85-15 in some places around Rennes. And I feel like "Bonnets rouges" is a small minority, not a mainstream movement.

But isn't the general perception of her as being less of a racist fuck than her dad?
She at least hide it better because she knows she needs to do it to have a real chance to win. At the end of the day, that may make her MORE dangerous.

Yes, but at the same time Chirac was a much worse candidate than Macron. Chirac is like France's Bush
Err... I can't see the link between Bush and Chirac, and I'm not sure at all he's a worse candidate. He tends to avoid acting so that it pleases as much people as possible, but I'm not sure he's that bad.

Jean-Marie was pretty much a Nazi. His daughter first kicked him out of the party he founded and then set about dramatically moderating the FN's image to make it more palatable to the French right instead of just the extreme fringe right.

And guess what, it's been a really successful venture thus far. Don't sleep on the FN because they will be strong in the parliamentary elections.
Honestly, I wonder how much Wednesday's performance hurt that normalization.
She really came across as entirely unfit to govern, in the sense that their platform is really paper thin and when push comes to shove, she can't show any substance to save her life. It's beginning to show and their only growth will either be through more discontent or through an actual political project. The Euro fumbling of the last week was an embarrassment.

I think FN officials have been living in a bubble for years, where they can show up on tv and say outrageous things about a very narrow subset of issues, that means good ratings so the media lap it up, but they really wing it and start deflecting to other issues whenever they get out of their comfort zone. You can't build a comprehensive platform and run 15 ministries based on that.

People might dislike his policies, and disagree with them, but there's much more depth to Macron's worldview, as illustrated by these two Mediapart interviews. This doesn't mean he'll be great or anything, just that he clears the bar of having an actual project beyond a handful of hot button issues. It's a testament to the toxicity of our media cycle tbh.

Mind you, the shape of parliamentary elections makes it a completely different fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom