• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wandering

Banned

hith-marquis-de-lafayette-GettyImages-56457731-A.jpeg

Yeah, that hot story between Emmanuel-kun and Trudeau-sempai is going to write itself.

Congratulations @EmmanuelMacron! Let's meet soon, and keep working to grow & strengthen the deep ties between Canada and France.

I look forward to working closely with President-elect Macron in the years ahead
I bet you do.

Koren

Honestly, I wonder how much Wednesday's performance hurt that normalization.
She really came across as entirely unfit to govern, in the sense that their platform is really paper thin and when push comes to shove, she can't show any substance to save her life. It's beginning to show
IIRC, over 30% of viewers thought she was better than Macron.

I don't think it changed anything, a lot of people* behind her have thought she was doing great... and definitively fit to govern.

(*) not all, though, but I've even heard Macron's supporters saying she had been better.

Makareu

I was checking some English news website and I really wished they would stop making Macron's wife age a bullet point.
Anyway, given the context, tonight feels pretty good.

Shahadan

Same shit everytime. When Hollande won we had a few days of "omg france is communist now" (lol) and then they moved on.

I think it happened with Mitterand too. Americans are weird.

Coffinhal

If you ask me, his one strong point is his unequivocally pro-EU stance and what seems to be a sincerely positive outlook on the world. Let's hope it's not just fluff though. The rest is up in the air.

I'm following up on this because I guess it's important to make this point : We are too depolitizing the whole EU issue because of national-populists who just to get out to implement a xenophobic capitalism within their borders. They don't support democracy so of course they're not pro-EU, they stand against any effort to peace, but we already accept them in EU (Orban) so here are the contradictions too).

"pro-EU" only means in his case that he supports and likes most of the treaties that implemented a shade of federalism with ordoliberalism economic framework (even if he isn't as harsh as a Merkel-Schauble, see his stance on the Greek crisis). You can be "pro-EU" and still want to change what is behind the EU (federalism or just cooperation of States, ordoliberalism or another approach...). There is more in the Europe issue than just being pro and against and we shouldn't restrict the debate too much because we can discuss, even with strong disagreements, the public policies and laws that rule the EU and our countries. It isn't some kind of wonderland.

Charamiwa

Banned
Reading a lot of english-speaking reactions on twitter, it's crazy how misinformed most of them were on the election. Maybe the foreign medias didn't do a good job covering it, because if you had followed the ultimate week there were no doubts Le Pen would lose.

Between her big fumbles on economy and the francs, her disastrous and laughable performance at the debate and Macron's solid performance, she exposed herself as no fit at all to take the presidency. Yet a lot of people were excpecting it to be close, are saying Macron will be the death of France...

You know what, good on Trump for tweeting his congratulations, hollow as they may be. He could have spouted about Macron running a horrible campaign or that the vote was rigged, but he swallowed his pride and took the L.

Opto

Banned
Reading a lot of english-speaking reactions on twitter, it's crazy how misinformed most of them were on the election. Maybe the foreign medias didn't do a good job covering it, because if you had followed the ultimate week there were no doubts Le Pen would lose.

Between her big fumbles on economy and the francs, her disastrous and laughable performance at the debate and Macron's solid performance, she exposed herself as no fit at all to take the presidency. Yet a lot of people were excpecting it to be close, are saying Macron will be the death of France...

see, we had the same things in america

The NYT Q&A today with their Paris correspondents was pretty funny.

Q: How big a story is the hacking?
A: No one in France really seems to care that much, plus the media blackout made it mistimed.

Q: What about the Obama recommendation?
A: No one in France really seems to care that much.

Q: But seriously the hacking?
A: NO ONE IN FRANCE GIVES A SHIT.

Charamiwa

Banned
see, we had the same things in america

The way she acted at the debate was badly received universally, even amongst her supporters. She made a mockery of the presidency, and in France it was a big deal. I don't know if you can compare it like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom