• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMan

not that it matters much but is there a breakdown of results per region? specifically looking for paca and lorraine

Some Melenchon voters will go Le Pen as well, especially due to the anti-EU angle, since the election will truly take the angle of pro-EU vs anti-EU. Fillon's voters will split in three, with the social conservatives staying home, the more nationalist leaning supporters going Le Pen and the Economic liberals going Macron.

Are electoral recommendations common at all in France? Here in Austria, the disqualified presidential candidates all suggested which of the remaining candidates to vote for instead (and except for the conservatives who didn't give a recommendation, all of them stood behind the Green candidate).
That could potentially move some voters as well.

Cabaratier

Neo Member
Well now I can exhale for the first time in months. Thank you, France! Now Macron just has to hold the whole world together as de facto leader of the free world (along with Merkel) for at least a few years until America can right itself.

I'd say Schulz and Macron would create a good a dynamic in the European Council, but I don't how big the chances of that are.

Tiberius

Macron will have an easy victory so I'll vote in two weeks but it will be a vote blanc.

Explained a few posts ago why, it's not about his stance or politics but what happened behind the scenes which sets a very dangerous precedent from à political point of view.
If that's how politic is going to be done in France now that's à very sad state

Low score for Hamon too :"(
What happened behind the scene ?

KonradLaw

Fuck yeah! Macron. I'm not in France, but this is the most important elections in years for the whole Europe, if not the world. And Macron is the best candidate out of the big four.

But those are insane elections. So little difference between no.1 and no.4. Not only that, but none of the candidates from two biggest political forces got into second round,

Ac30

Macron will have an easy victory so I'll vote in two weeks but it will be a vote blanc.

Explained a few posts ago why, it's not about his stance or politics but what happened behind the scenes which sets a very dangerous precedent from à political point of view.

Does Hamon have a chance to run next time? I quite liked what I heard about him.

Yeah Macron has won the election because he got lucky. Between Fillon affairs and the betrayal of everyone to Hamon, he was basically guaranted this election. This guy is not even capable of delivering a decent speech without screaming, he has basically no idea, he clearly does not understand how poor people lived their lives.

guit3457

A vote for Le Pen then

Magni

Hamon calls for the strongest opposition to MLP possible, to give her the lowest score possible.

No surprises there. Poor Hamon :(

Dascu

I'd say Schulz and Macron would create a good a dynamic in the European Council, but I don't how big the chances of that are.

Yeah, Schulz/Macron would be a classic pro-EU tandem. Would also be able to reverse some of the more restrictive monetary and fiscal policies by e.g. Schauble. Moscovici (the French EU Commissioner) is also pro-Macron and I'd say a pretty good guy.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Dont fucking do this. You're voting for Le Pen. Don't.

Xando

Social democrats had a big surge when Schulz announced he's running but they've been destroyed by Merkel since if you believe polls.

Unless something major happens Merkel will win with a large advantage.

Tamanator

Are electoral recommendations common at all in France? Here in Austria, the disqualified presidential candidates all suggested which of the remaining candidates to vote for instead (and except for the conservatives who didn't give a recommendation, all of them stood behind the Green candidate).
That could potentially move some voters as well.

Very common, that's what happened in 2002 when all the parties rallied behind Chirac against Le Pen. I just think politics in general is much more polarised today than it was in 2002. It's not going to be as clear cut as it was previously.

KonradLaw

Yeah Macron has won the election because he got lucky. .

It's funny that it's second elections in the row where the favorite screws himself over because he sucks as a person. Fillon with his corruption now and Strauss Kahn because of his horniness 5 years ago.

People are saying he is center, not right.
And people say that Manuel Valls and Hollande are leftists, doesn't make it true.

Macron wants to get rid of the major tax on the rich that we have.

Something that has been a dream of RPR/UMP/LR ever since it was created.

There's a two term limit, so 10 years max.

Wow, managed to miss that one.
Since 2008 it seems, I stand corrected.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The question now is what happens in the legislative election. If the PS does as badly as some predict, LR will almost certainly be the party Macron is required to pick a Prime Minister from, which would make him a powerless figurehead, in all honesty - the LR would run the show. Could be de facto Fillon-by-the-backdoor.

Interesting to see cohabitation back, though - Chirac seems so long ago now!

Moppeh

Banned

Given how much people have undervalued the appeal right wing populism in the western world, I would recommend you rethink that. Especially since Hamon has endorsed Macron.

Aswell

not that it matters much but is there a breakdown of results per region? specifically looking for paca and lorraine
Usually you can get detailed results on the Interior Affairs Ministry website or on the major news outlets like Le Monde (later in the night probably, not in the next hour).

So why did Le Pen surge so much in the last few years?

Just general polarisation? I've heard some suggest that she has kind of politely packaged their far right ideas into something that appears more mainstream. Is that true?

Lanf

That would be good for Europe, yes. But seeing at the state of the social-democrats in Europe I wonder how realistic it is for Schulz to win this fall.

RPGCrazied

And people say that Manuel Valls and Hollande are leftists, doesn't make it true.

Macron wants to get rid of the major tax on the rich that we have.

Something that has been a dream of RPR/UMP/LR ever since it was created.

Its better then Le Pen though. She is like a female Trump. Trust me, you don't want it. I'm an American, I have to live with this. Everyday I wake up in panic he has done something to fuck us over in some way.

Jb

So why did Le Pen surge so much recently?

Just general polarisation? I've heard some suggest that she has kind of politely packaged their far right ideas into something that appears more mainstream. Is that true?

That's true, she spent a lot of time sweeping dust under the rug (including her own father).
But also the terrorist attacks kinda helped her prove the point she was trying to make.

Koren

Hamon gave a nice speech. Not that I'm objective about it, but I thought he did good (on the speech, not the score).
Well, he got murdered by the system.

With the close race of the four others, most people that would have voted for him probably cast a "useful" vote. It's sad, because if I don't share all his views (I think the universal income is a nice idea he would have destroyed), he's a victim of the way things work.

Seeing how LR people are salty is priceless...

Jisgsaw

Social democrats had a big surge when Schulz announced he's running but they've been destroyed by Merkel since if you believe polls.

Unless something major happens Merkel will win with a large advantage.

I think Merkel will win as long as she runs up again, as there is no term limit in Germany. She survived both the economic and the refugee crisis, with relatively high approval numbers, that's quite impressive.

So why did Le Pen surge so much recently?

Surge? She's been on the downtrend for months after being the favorite for like 2 years. This is an embarrassment after polling at 30% and believing you would finish in first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom