• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| of Lips

M3wThr33

Banned
cjelly said:
Butthurt Singstar fans. I love it.

How are the Wireless mics in Singstar, guys, they holding up well?

Congrats, you still earn your tag.

Most people here are just curious to see how Microsoft interprets what Singstar got right what it got wrong. So far I've seen them change one thing for the better and many things for worse. But you can keep your blinders on and believe that we're actually 'threatened' or 'scared' about a video game.

FabCam

Cdammen said:
If you have a PS3 that is.

well, yeah. Lips is still pretty good but if you have a PS3, SingStar is the better Karaoke game by a fair margin. I hope Lips gets good DLC support as that's what'll make it last.

Oxymoron

FabCam said:
So I played a bit last night at a friends house. I'm a big Karaoke fan (Singstar, Rock Band and Guitar Hero) so was looking forward to it. It's average. The song selection on the disc is pretty good but DLC is where the legs are so hopefully it'll get some good support. The import song this is shyte. Not even a pitch bar? What's the point? Plus it took ages to recognise some songs, then sometimes it would just freeze when we were singing one. The UI isn't too hot either when you compare it to SingStar but that's a bit harsh seeing as SingStar has the best UI of any game ever. Also, the online features just aren't there. Why no community video feature? Really barebones in that department.

If you're looking for karaoke awesomeness this Christmas, SingStar ABBA +SingStore is the way to go.
I definitely agree than Singstar is the better value because the song library is ridiculously huge. I don't have PS3, however, so Lips is the only karaoke game in town. I've never played Singstar, so I have no basis of reference. I just know that Lips was a blast, and I don't much care about online features.
I did get quite a few freezes, I hope they patch that ASAP.

toff74

Been playing lips for a while today.. its a complete blast. and as i said earlier, i just dont feel the need to 'cheat' at the songs. Bring on the DLC!!!

Ireally do hope MS support this game and give it the content it deserves...

And in the bugs and glitches: ive not had one. Imported loads of songs and nada!

After singing the line 'I smell like I sound!' from hungry like the wolf, the Missus imediately said 'like shite then!'.. charming!!! :lol

toff74

frontieruk

Saw this on the Zune marketplace hadn't seen it posted anywhere else...

the list has 253 songs in it, possibilities for future DLC?

*Stealth edit for broken code

Tntnnbltn

frontieruk said:
Saw this on the Zune marketplace hadn't seen it posted anywhere else...

the list has 253 songs in it, possibilities for future DLC?
Can't be all DLC. It has two ABBA songs, which are exclusive to SingStar until December 2009.

My guess is it's just a playlist of MP3's you can import to Lips.

frontieruk

Tntnnbltn said:
Can't be all DLC. It has two ABBA songs, which are exclusive to SingStar until December 2009.
My guess is it's just a playlist of MP3's you can import to Lips.

Did I say it was all DLC? or did I ask was it possibilities for future DLC? I'll try to make my point clearer next time...

As seen earlier in this thread MS is asking users to make their imports available for future nickel-and-diming, the list is probably a good guess at what they are currently looking at thinking it'll be popular.

this LIPS game won't even see the songs that are on my zune.. tells me that it only sees four...

and then when i choose to stream songs from my pc it takes all the songs away, even the ones that came with the game and tells me that no songs are available...

this game is very broken. the transfer from zune/pc feature it seems does not work well...

which kind of kills this purchase for me.

BUYER BEWARE

lolmark

After spending some time trying out the songs and game modes [alone], I found the game to be fairly engaging. While the game is nothing like Elite Beat Agents and Gitaroo Man, I felt a reminiscent vibe from some of the game modes.

The game, unfortunately, wasn't having shit to do with my iPod touch, but that was primarily due to the fact that the Touch does not have a functioning USB drive mode.

I'm really hoping for full Weezer albums. :D

Does anyone know how to get this thing to find MP3s on my PC? Do the MP3s have to be in a cretin folder?

I've gotten music off my MP3 player, but I don't want to have to be plugging it in every time.

the lack of voice playback is what kills it for me. there is no excuse for that!

We all want to see what we sound like and have jokes with friends playing it back. Why did they leave this out?

Was really looking forward to this and was set to buy it but then I read the reviews.

toff74

Calamachino said:
Does anyone know how to get this thing to find MP3s on my PC? Do the MP3s have to be in a cretin folder?

I've gotten music off my MP3 player, but I don't want to have to be plugging it in every time.

Hello..

For me, i have 2 music servers in house..

Firstly you need to set up your media sharing on the 360.. whether its through Windows Media Player or Zune. Then, before you head in to the Lips Sofware you point your 360 the server you want.

Load up Lips.

Go to 'My Lips' (on the screen it tells you how much music you have available) and upload away. One thing i will say is that if you at somepoint you change server and boot lips up, the music will still apear in the 'sing' lost, but will not play. Apart from that i've had NO problems with lock ups or crashing as has been reported elsewhere..

Toff74

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Sounds like some stuff needs to get fixed. I have it, but I've yet to open it. Perhaps later on today.

I think people over analyse this game, I played it Friday night and I think people had more fun with it than Rockband. All MS wanted was a karaoke party game to tick of the list and they got it.

I look forward to seeing what DLC they come up with!

edit, everyone adored the mikes, they are really well made bits of kit, feel and look very professional

toff74

I cant get enough of this game...

I've read somewhere that this will be getting some special Christmas DLC.. anyone have any info on it?

Toff74

Jonnyram

I've read on play-asia that the US version is region free. Can anyone confirm this as I'm keen to get this and the Asian version hasn't got a date yet (I don't believe it exists, personally).

frontieruk

BootlegSnackz said:
this LIPS game won't even see the songs that are on my zune.. tells me that it only sees four...

and then when i choose to stream songs from my pc it takes all the songs away, even the ones that came with the game and tells me that no songs are available...

this game is very broken. the transfer from zune/pc feature it seems does not work well...

which kind of kills this purchase for me.

BUYER BEWARE

The game takes a while to import the song list from the zune, just over a minute here, it reached it's limit of 1735 songs, I only tried as you said it didn't work and I almost posted back agreeing till I gave the song list one last check and noticed songs were populating it (I'd switched off all the other modes of it find a song or a few thousand),

I'm kinda disappointed with it though, as even with listings from the PC your whole collection isn't listed so if the song/album isn't one of the ones it seems to randomly choose your stuffed, unless you create a specfic share folder just for Lips songs and duplicate the ones you want :(

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Did I ever tell you guys how great I am at this game?

We just stick it on Jukebox mode and sing whatever pops up next. :D

3064316606_13107e4a26.jpg

"A Thousand Miles" -Vanessa Carlton - November 28, 2008

Goddamn it Microsoft... one of my favorite songs (although I would be laughable singing it..)

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I just bought all three songs that went up today as DLC and Jason Mraz's the Remedy because of the Black Friday sale. Keep up the great DLC, MS... and throw in more sales while you're at it. If you do, it makes it a lot easier to move away from Singstar.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
So according to Lips' in-game "Get Music" section, the following three singles will be released this Friday:

The Dredel Song by Sister Hazel
Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley
The Most Wonderful Time of the Year by Andy Williams

I much prefer Lips' DLC to Singstar's. The only downside is the low number of songs each week, yet they seem to be higher quality/more in-tune with the American audience. Andy William's Most Wonderful TIme of the Year is the song that epitomizes Christmas to me, so I'm glad we're getting that. I could care less about the Dreidel Song or the Presley tune.

I also like that there's a way to find out in-game what the next batch of songs are. This game has many cool little touches that are better than Singstar.

Manager

Eggo said:
So according to Lips' in-game "Get Music" section, the following three singles will be released this Friday:

The Dredel Song by Sister Hazel
Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley
The Most Wonderful Time of the Year by Andy Williams

I much prefer Lips' DLC to Singstar's. The only downside is the low number of songs each week, yet they seem to be higher quality/more in-tune with the American audience. Andy William's Most Wonderful TIme of the Year is the song that epitomizes Christmas to me, so I'm glad we're getting that. I could care less about the Dreidel Song or the Presley tune.

I also like that there's a way to find out in-game what the next batch of songs are. This game has many cool little touches that are better than Singstar.

Yeah I absolutely agree, 3 songs is just to little - Singstar has around 25 with several languages. Hopefully the labels just wanted to wait and see how much Lips sells, and then sign the deals.

Many of Singstar's DLC songs are from previous Singstar's though, but they recently said they had to re-do the whole procedure when converting to PS3.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
cjelly said:
Is it the same 3 for Europe?

I'll buy them all, of course, but I've never heard of that first song. :-/

I'm not positive, but I would suspect other regions get similar songs for download. Did any of the first two weeks DLC differ from the U.S. DLC? You can probably check the download section of your game to see what's coming up.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
IGN update on Lips DLC for the next two weeks.

December 4, 2008 - More downloadable songs are coming for Lips, Microsoft's Xbox 360 karaoke title, this month in time for the holidays. Each song will come with a custom video and will have a price tag of 160 Microsoft points or US $2.

On December 5, three songs will be available followed on December 12 by seven tunes. Here are the tracks on the way:

December 5
"Blue Christmas" - Elvis Presley
"The Dreidel Song" - Sister Hazel
"It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" - Andy Williams

December 12
"Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer" - Gene Autry
"Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" - Brenda Lee
"A Holly Jolly Christmas" - Burl Ives
"The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas To You)" - Nat King Cole
"Santa Baby" - Kylie Minogue
"White Christmas" - Bing Crosby
"Hanukkah Blessings" - Barenaked Ladies

All songs will be available for purchase worldwide.

To me, that's a great selection of Christmas songs, though it's wierd there's no Jingle Bell Rock. It's a shame they're all custom videos this week, but I guess Mtv wasn't around back then. I can live with having some music video-less songs as long as the tunes to sing to are good, which I think they are. Also encouraging to see a DLC update of more than the typical three songs.

Eggo said:
IGN update on Lips DLC for the next two weeks.

To me, that's a great selection of Christmas songs, though it's wierd there's no Jingle Bell Rock. It's a shame they're all custom videos this week, but I guess Mtv wasn't around back then. I can live with having some music video-less songs as long as the tunes to sing to are good, which I think they are. Also encouraging to see a DLC update of more than the typical three songs.

I'm happy with 3 songs as long as that's the minimum :D

So I think I may ask for this for XMas as it looks fun (and I already bought most of the shit I really really wanted *sigh*).

jlh

There are some fantastic Christmas songs coming out over the next couple of weeks and it's good to see that they aren't sticking with a three song limit for the dlc releases.

I've done a fair amount of importing since I got the game and managed to unlock the add 300 songs achievement last night. So I've got plenty of songs to murder but it's still fabulous to know that they are showing a commitment to supporting the game with dlc.

There are obviously a few glaring weaknesses present at the moment but for the most part I've enjoyed Lips and hope to see MS update it in the future. They really need to add camera support and some recording options but other than that this is a very good first effort.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Argh, bugger, I thought this weeks songs were 160MSP each, as advertised in the game, but when you select Blue Christmas, Marketplace shows it for 180! Had to buy some new points.

Got plenty of Points for all of next weeks, too. :D

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Yeah, I thought it was odd the Elvis song cost 20 mp more. I guess the King's lawyers wanted a bit more. Either that, or it's a typo.

Cronen

Sorry if it has been asked before GAF, but how does the whole 'playing music off of your MP3 player' aspect of the game hold up? Does it work well?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Cronen said:
Sorry if it has been asked before GAF, but how does the whole 'playing music off of your MP3 player' aspect of the game hold up? Does it work well?
No, it's shit. May as well use the fullscreen visualizer in the 360's media player.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Calamachino said:
Two non Christmas songs are coming out on the 12th as well according to the, "Get Music" section of Lips.

Bobby Brown - Every Little Step
The Living End - Prisoner Of Society

Awesome... looks like I'll be buying 8 songs next week. Great update! and seasonal too. I hope Lips can continue to crank up the quantity of songs. The quality is already there.

I went back and added Youtube links to the songs from this and next week's update.

I'm having troubles with this game, because I downloaded the Elvis song from marketplace, but when I do import running game the song does not apear. dont know what's the problem!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
bravojohny said:
I'm having troubles with this game, because I downloaded the Elvis song from marketplace, but when I do import running game the song does not apear. dont know what's the problem!
You need to go to Get Music, hit A and add it to your Library.

jlh

Cronen said:

Check out the forums on the Lips official site (xbox.com/lips). There are several threads about people having issues with Lips recognizing the music off their players and some fixes depending on the type of player and firmware you're running.

I've never hooked up my Zune to have it recognize my music because the game takes all my music from the Zune collection on my computer.

Does anyone know when they will implement leaderboards? The official site just lists it as coming soon but no date, in fact with the exception of the Community blogs and forums there is nothing really updated on the Lips site. I'm enjoying the game a lot but I get the feeling that it would have been a lot better if MS hadn't rushed it out for a pre-Christmas release.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Im always the singer with my friends in RB so I want it but the mics working in RB soon sealed it.

Cant wait to sing to Elvis, its a dream come true.

Top Bottom