• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| of Lips

Syringe

Do we know how well (or not well) Lips has done so far? Here in Sweden, which is supposed to a huge karaokemarket in Europa even though it's a small country, Lips has actually climbed week over week. It is a bit early, but it seems that it has found some kind of public anyway and avoided being a bomba.

painey

well according to "My Lips" In Bloom has had less than 40,000 plays (I assume world wide) which is pathetic, and to be fair, this game is pretty shitty.

FabCam

Wow, the Xmas songs update is far better than the current SingStar one. I know that there are 2 more updates before Christmas for SingStar though, so hopefully they'll get some of the ones that were just added to Lips.

Syringe said:
Do we know how well (or not well) Lips has done so far? Here in Sweden, which is supposed to a huge karaokemarket in Europa even though it's a small country, Lips has actually climbed week over week. It is a bit early, but it seems that it has found some kind of public anyway and avoided being a bomba.
Lips ads are very frequent here in Germany from what I can tell. They're giving it a big push. I can't see them getting too much of the Karaoke market though - Singstar PS2 still reigns supreme.

Keiichi Yano, designer of Lips is on Major Nelson.

They talked a bit about the importing, and he just keeps hinting!

Paraphrasing he says "It's something we are going to be constantly evolving. People are going to be surprised at how much support we are going to put behind it, since this is one of our differentiating features. Hopefully we'll have some announcements soon!"

God dammit, please just announce that you are going to allow lyrics :lol If they did, this is now insta-buy. I mean, even the announcement that they are going to put out a patch to fix any issues people are having would make me feel better, to really know they are going to get behind it.

*Edit* Link: http://majornelson.com/archive/2008...ichi-yano-jerry-johnson-and-seth-killian.aspx

Tntnnbltn

Iced_Eagle said:
They talked a bit about the importing, and he just keeps hinting!

Paraphrasing he says "It's something we are going to be constantly evolving. People are going to be surprised at how much support we are going to put behind it, since this is one of our differentiating features. Hopefully we'll have some announcements soon!"
I think that they had more features intended from the start, but the game was rushed out for the holiday season. Now that it's out they can focus on adding in the things they wanted.

Tntnnbltn said:
I think that they had more features intended from the start, but the game was rushed out for the holiday season. Now that it's out they can focus on adding in the things they wanted.

I think so too.

Also, he called Lips a platform and said they are going to keep updating it with weekly content.

If MS/iNiS is smart, all DLC from Lips will work in any future versions of the game, similar to RB -> RB2.

MS really has some potential here, and they put down a good framework. It's not going to uproot the community all at once, but they have a solid foundation to take over Singstar I think.

With weekly updates, hopefully lyric support in a patch, and the game being treated as a platform, they have a real opportunity... Please don't waste it MS :D

jedimike

After reading the thread, I was expecting issues. I played jukebox mode for a couple hours then decided to try to import a song. My zune music was all there... without my interaction. very kewl

icecream

Public Health Threat
Tntnnbltn said:
I think that they had more features intended from the start, but the game was rushed out for the holiday season.
You can tell with the last-minute notice sticker on the package about the lyrics.

If they're going to add new stuff, they'd better fix all the problems it has now too. Desyncing mikes, audio delay, the lights not working, song detection limit...

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I have heard Lips described twice and searched the first page of this thread for 'lyrics' but I still do not know how the song import works. So I take it there is no attempt to import lyrics for a song based on ID3 tags?

I got Lips today from Amazon and the one thing that annoys me is that there is not 5.1 audio for the on disc songs or DLC. which doesn't make any sense. I checked to see if there is a option to turn it on like in RB but nope. crappy 2.0 stereo. which is fine but a disappointment.

great mics though.....can't wait to rock them in RB.

jedimike

http://lips.xbox.com/Templates/CMBlog.aspx?id=892&blogid=175

New Seasonal Songs Available Now In Get Music
This week we've got more seasonal songs to add to your evergrowing Sing! library. Whether it’s the classics you crave or a fresh take on a few old songs is more your speed, there’s something for everyone in this week's delivery of wintery anthems.

"White Christmas," "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer," "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)", and "A Holly Jolly Christmas" have got the classics crowd covered. And Kylie Minogue’s cover of "Santa Baby" along with Barenaked Ladies' "Hanukkah Blessings" are sure to keep your holiday parties cracking.

Make your way to Get Music now to get your hands on the latest seasonal songs for Lips!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BigBlackGamer said:
I got Lips today from Amazon and the one thing that annoys me is that there is not 5.1 audio for the on disc songs or DLC. which doesn't make any sense. I checked to see if there is a option to turn it on like in RB but nope. crappy 2.0 stereo. which is fine but a disappointment.

I was annoyed at first, but it does make sense. All the tracks were mixed in stereo and the way the mics work means stereo is best too.

I also realized I was merely annoyed because it didn't activate the 5.1 light on my receiver.

bistromathics said:
I have heard Lips described twice and searched the first page of this thread for 'lyrics' but I still do not know how the song import works. So I take it there is no attempt to import lyrics for a song based on ID3 tags?

It's pretty crappy as it stands now.

Basically, you "import" it, and it will just play the song to a gametype of your choice. All it will do is the pitch detection and vocal reduction (no lyrics or splitting up into the phenomes from what I've seen). So honestly,, whoever sings the most in pitch would probably win.

However, they keep hinting at "more to come in the future", so don't be surprised if they have a patch that enables lyrics in the future.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Available December 19:

* Over My Head (Cable Car) – The Fray
* Every Little Step – Bobby Brown
* Prisoner of Society – The Living End
* Virtual Insanity – Jamiroquai

Available December 26:

* New Shoes – Paolo Nutini
* What's Love Got To Do With It – Tina Turner
* What Is Love? – Haddaway

Available January 2:

* Where Did Our Love Go – The Supremes
* Let's Groove – Earth, Wind and Fire
* Be Good Johnny – Men At Work
* Somethin' Stupid – Robbie Williams and Nicole Kidman

Available January 9:

* Superstar – Jamelia
* People are People – Depeche Mode
* Suddenly I See – KT Tunstall

What is Love
! Hell yea!!!!

Doodis

BigBlackGamer said:
I will buy Lips just for this. Don't care too much about the game itself, but when I can go completely wireless with my Rock Band setup, I'll be a happy camper.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Eggo said:
Where did you hear about all those updates?
http://www.gamerscoreblog.com/press

Official PR:
Great mix of recent and past hits will keep the party going long past the holiday season

“Lips,” the new hit singing party game exclusively for Xbox 360 from iNiS Corp., today announced the next month of weekly releases beginning Friday, December 19 through January 9, 2009. In total, 14 new downloadable songs will be available on Xbox LIVE Marketplace and the “Lips” in-game “Get Music” store.

Hit songs by a variety of popular artists including The Fray, Jamiroquai, Tina Turner, KT Tunstall and many more will be available starting at 160 Microsoft points each. Additional new songs will be added regularly so stay tuned for future announcements.

Available December 19:

* Over My Head (Cable Car) – The Fray
* Every Little Step – Bobby Brown
* Prisoner of Society – The Living End
* Virtual Insanity – Jamiroquai

Available December 26:

* New Shoes – Paolo Nutini
* What's Love Got To Do With It – Tina Turner
* What Is Love? – Haddaway

Available January 2:

Available January 9:

* Superstar – Jamelia
* People are People – Depeche Mode
* Suddenly I See – KT Tunstall

“Lips,” the new singing party game from Xbox 360 and iNiS, includes 40 songs on-disc and two wireless, motion-sensitive microphones. “Lips” is currently available at retailers for $69.99.

Great news that they've said there'll be even more songs after this batch. :D

jedimike

I see 3 or 4 in there I will likely purchase, but they need to increase the rate of releases. If they would just release a patch to smooth things out and increase the number of releases, Lips could have some serious legs.

subrock

considering buying this and an arcade for xmas for the girl. is support going to fall off for this? she doesnt care about the online stuff, probably just the amount of pop music in there would make her happy.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
parasight said:
So what's the general consensus? Should I get this or just wait for the next iteration?

As it currently is, Lips is a bit flawed. The custom music thing is a wash because you don't have lyrics to go with your songs. However, I expect Microsoft to stick with this title for the long haul. It's good for the casual appeal of the system, which they're trying to push. The dev has hinted that they're working on a solution to the lyric problem, which will most likely be a patch, and not the next iteration. I'd recommend picking it up, but $70 is not a big deal to me, considering the fun this game can be in a party environment.

subrock said:
considering buying this and an arcade for xmas for the girl. is support going to fall off for this? she doesnt care about the online stuff, probably just the amount of pop music in there would make her happy.

Don't think support will fall off anytime soon. The DLC has arrived every week since launch, and they've announced songs for the next three weeks from now. One thing I suggest is getting interested in the DLC. If you buy this game for the stock songs on the disc, it's limited value (40 songs). If you have access to the DLC, that library can double or triple eventually. It's like Rock Band, in that the DLC changes the appeal of the title considerably.

Captain N

Easy achievements! Pick Lip Gloss along with Two player co-op and just blow into both mics at the same time. You'll get the co-op 8 medal achievement PLUS around 5,000,000 points. So you can gain levels fast that way.

jedimike

LiPS was the party game of choice over Christmas. My guests were tired of playing the Wii and went for Lips instead. I had tried RockBand before, but it was too hardcore. Everyone just wanted to sing... so Lips turned out to be a great pick-up for me.

The only problem was song selection... of the 40 available, only about half of them appealed to everyone. I did purchase another 5 or 6, but there just wasn't enough to choose from.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
jedimike said:
LiPS was the party game of choice over Christmas. My guests were tired of playing the Wii and went for Lips instead. I had tried RockBand before, but it was too hardcore. Everyone just wanted to sing... so Lips turned out to be a great pick-up for me.

The only problem was song selection... of the 40 available, only about half of them appealed to everyone. I did purchase another 5 or 6, but there just wasn't enough to choose from.
Yeah, Lips was the choice party game in our household, as well.

I didn't have much of a problem of finding something everyone likes, but you can never have too many songs, and thankfully it looks like Microsoft are going to support this game well. The interview with the guy from iNIS a week or two back on Major Nelson's show said they had a few other bits planned for the game as well.

Hopefully at some point they will implement leaderboards, and refine the Challenges a bit, so that when you Challenge someone it automatically sends them a message over Live to say they have one waiting.

We'll see, though. I just really enjoy this game, because of the songs. I could have got World Tour or Rock Band, but to me, singing to the types of songs in those games is a completely different experience and doesn't work anywhere near as well as the much more diverse (and popular) selection in Lips.

Johnkers

I just noticed how many songs are missing from each regions version of the game. It's too bad there isn't a "greatest hits" tailored to my tastes :lol

Give me Geri Halliwell, The Hives, The Kooks, Lupe Fiasco and The Proclaimers in my Lips please! I don't know if I'm going to be DLCing much in this game either, might leave that to Rock Band.

Johnkers

Damn my white Lips microphone is having issues. The motion sensor works fine but the actual microphone has dropped out twice. Had to turn it off and on to fix it. I guess I have to return it? Or is this a known issue with a fix

Thanks

t3nmilez

Aargh, any importers might want to know that DLC is apparently locked or something. I have the USA version imported to Japan, I bought a song but the game won't recognize it or something. Usually in these situations there is a message saying that the content isn't available in my region, but I was able to buy and download the song no problem, I just can't play it! It won't show up in my list.

Anyone have any ideas around this? The stock songs are decent but I was really looking forward to the DLC.

Rahk

t3nmilez said:
Aargh, any importers might want to know that DLC is apparently locked or something. I have the USA version imported to Japan, I bought a song but the game won't recognize it or something. Usually in these situations there is a message saying that the content isn't available in my region, but I was able to buy and download the song no problem, I just can't play it! It won't show up in my list.

Anyone have any ideas around this? The stock songs are decent but I was really looking forward to the DLC.

Have you only checked in the "Sing" menu? I believe you have to first go to "Get Music" then add the song to your list through there or something. At least that's what I had to do with Take on Me from memory.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I bought this for my GF for xmas and we had a total laugh playing it together. I like how it's an 'easy' game. My GF is the kind of player that really takes negative feedback to heart, so this is a great way to keep her playing (she stopped playing animal crossing becuase she feels guilty for not seeing the animals, because they tell her off whenever she puts the game on!)

The only niggle I have is with the importing tracks. I have lots of songs on my PC (50 gigs worth), and I think this confuses Lips, as it will only show me the ABC of an artists out put (ie, any songs that begin with other than A B or C are missing from the list). Anyone know a way around this?

Flyguy

I got this for the little woman for Xmas. It's just so half-assed. From the song selection, to the video "skins," to technical issues. I get feedback whenever both mics are on, even when they're 10+ feet apart. Not nearly enough content, and what content is there doesn't function correctly. Disappointing, and I wasn't expecting much.

tirant

Flyguy said:
I got this for the little woman for Xmas. It's just so half-assed. From the song selection, to the video "skins," to technical issues. I get feedback whenever both mics are on, even when they're 10+ feet apart. Not nearly enough content, and what content is there doesn't function correctly. Disappointing, and I wasn't expecting much.

I hope they fix all the issues soon. I plan to buy it for my gf next week...

icecream

Public Health Threat
Rahk said:
Have you only checked in the "Sing" menu? I believe you have to first go to "Get Music" then add the song to your list through there or something. At least that's what I had to do with Take on Me from memory.
Your locale also has to be set to the locale that the song is available in.

t3nmilez

icecream said:
Your locale also has to be set to the locale that the song is available in.

What a huge disappointment. No other music game gives me this issue, they should just region lock the DLC if they won't let me use it. Going to my lips does nothing, the game doesn't show the DLC song, only the default songlist.

Oh well, guess I'll be using Joysound Wii for the majority of my karaoke parties. Such a shame, Lips had so much potential...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The following is now on Marketplace:

Available January 2:

If you only buy one song, make it Let's Groove. :)

Jonnyram

t3nmilez said:
What a huge disappointment. No other music game gives me this issue, they should just region lock the DLC if they won't let me use it. Going to my lips does nothing, the game doesn't show the DLC song, only the default songlist.

Oh well, guess I'll be using Joysound Wii for the majority of my karaoke parties. Such a shame, Lips had so much potential...
The Asian version is coming out on January 8 so it might be worth checking again then. I wonder what songs will be on the Asian version for that matter.

Stryder

Has anybody had trouble seeing their purchased songs available within Lips? I bought some that recently became available including "Haddaway - What is Love" and it won't appear in my "Sing!" section of the game, is there something more I need to do?

I bought them through the dashboard marketplace btw.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Stryder said:
Has anybody had trouble seeing their purchased songs available within Lips? I bought some that recently became available including "Haddaway - What is Love" and it won't appear in my "Sing!" section of the game, is there something more I need to do?

I bought them through the dashboard marketplace btw.

I have a similar issue as well. I bought a ton of songs from the dash, not in game, then I left to take this to a girl's house and I couldn't access them.

Regardless of that, this game is fun as fuck. I got it because it is a party game and when I took it to her house, we were just singing and passively competing. However, once we did that battle shit with the two guys on stage, we were standing up and competing. It was fun as hell. Lips is definitely worth it for me for that night alone.

chase

Had a ton of fun with this over Xmas. There's nothing like seeing your father in law singing along to It's Raining Men in front of your whole family. :D

My sister in law then borrowed it to bring to her boyfriend's for New Years Eve.

It was annoying, though, having to figure out how to add your own songs to the Sing page while you're drunk and everyone's watching you. Not very intuitive.

Rahk

Stryder said:
Has anybody had trouble seeing their purchased songs available within Lips? I bought some that recently became available including "Haddaway - What is Love" and it won't appear in my "Sing!" section of the game, is there something more I need to do?.

From memory, I think you need to go to "Get Music" or one of the other sections to add it to "Sing". I don't understand why it doesn't just add it automatically though.

Top Bottom