• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| of Lips

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Coldsnap said:
I cannot figure out how to battle people online over lips? Is this even in the game.
Only thing you can do is send Challenges to people on your Friends List.

That and Leaderboards are my two biggest gripes.

Coldsnap

cjelly said:
Only thing you can do is send Challenges to people on your Friends List.

That and Leaderboards are my two biggest gripes.

oh crap, well I guess that would be best; my girlfriend DESTROYS this game. First time she played it she got like 2.8million

Tntnnbltn

TheGreatDave said:
They're popular in the only country that matters!

Is KT Tunstall popular outside the UK? That surprises me.
"Suddenly I See" went #6 in Australia, #21 in the US. None of Girls Aloud's singles have really done that well outside of the UK and Ireland.

cjelly said:
No. They seem to want global DLC, and Girls Aloud are only popular in one country, aren't they?
If they did more than 3 tracks a week, having to limit it to bands with pretty much complete global appeal wouldn't be a problem...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
JonathanEx said:
If they did more than 3 tracks a week, having to limit it to bands with pretty much complete global appeal wouldn't be a problem...
Well, 3 songs a week is more than anyone expected before the game came out. I think it's plenty, and it's about on par with what Activision are doing with World Tour, right?

cjelly said:
Well, 3 songs a week is more than anyone expected before the game came out. I think it's plenty, and it's about on par with what Activision are doing with World Tour, right?
World Tour tracks, and Rock Band, are the work of a Lips track plus a hell of a lot more. Other instruments, having to work with the master tracks, lighting cues, choreographing, camera... They have to build more bits relating to a traditional game around it - it's not really an apt comparison.

If Microsoft really wanted to compete in the space, and I know you won't like the comparisons to Singstar, they need to compete on the store aspect if they're not going to for online social network stuff.

And drop the price a bit, but that's just as I'm cheap.

Oxymoron

TheGreatDave said:
They're popular in the only country that matters!

Is KT Tunstall popular outside the UK? That surprises me.
I've heard Suddenly I See in two contexts outside of my iPod: the soundtrack of The Devil Wears Prada, and the Hillary Clinton campaign.

Tntnnbltn said:
"Suddenly I See" went #6 in Australia, #21 in the US. None of Girls Aloud's singles have really done that well outside of the UK and Ireland.

No accounting for taste I guess. Girls Aloud blow her socks off, man!

Hope everyone's been adding "The Touch" by Stan Bush - if they won't have it in GH maybe we can get it added to Lips.

(Hey, I can wish)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
cjelly said:
Next weeks songs are also in Get Music, but obviously not available for download:

Righteous Brothers - You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
The Cardigans - Erase/Rewind
Pussycat Dolls - When I Grow Up

Next week is a good week for cheesy bastards like me.
Finally these have been officially announced, along with the following 2 Friday's.

PR below:

New “Lips” PDLC Means the Party Will Play-on in 2009

Lips catalogue surpasses 70 songs only two months after the game’s launch

“Lips,” the newest singing party game from Microsoft and iNiS exclusively for Xbox 360, is keeping fans singing with nine new songs available on Xbox LIVE Marketplace and the “Lips” Get Music store starting January 16. The new tracks offer an eclectic selection for singers of various tastes and generations, and continue to expand the party game experience available on Xbox 360.

Single songs, including hits from Fall Out Boy, The Pussycat Dolls and The Cardigans will be available for purchase for between 160 and 180 Microsoft points each. The new offerings will boost the number of songs available on “Lips” to well over 70 by the end of the month. Fans can expect the title’s library to continue to expand throughout 2009 with new songs, videos and content announced regularly – just because the holidays are over, doesn’t mean the party has to stop!

Available on January 16

* When I Grow Up – The Pussycat Dolls*
* You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’ – The Righteous Brothers**
* Erase/Rewind – The Cardigans*

Available on January 23

* Hate That I Love You – Rihanna feat. Ne-Yo**
* Thnks fr th Mmrs – Fall Out Boy*
* Look What You’ve Done – Jet*

Available on January 30

* Sunday Morning – Maroon 5*
* Take A Bow – Rihanna**
* Water Runs Dry – Boyz II Men*

*songs available for purchase for 160 Microsoft Points
**songs available for purchase for 180 Microsoft Points

Jonnyram

So my Asian version of the game came today. Awesome game, so much fun.
As far as I can make out, it's the exact same tracklist as the US version. Went into the Get Music section and it had found my Mac Mini server straight away with some 3000+ songs on there, which took ages to scroll through, but I added a bunch to my list and sang a few. I love the random videos that play for imported music.

I couldn't work out how to play stuff off an iPod though. Is that functionality still supposed to be in there, or does it just not work with iPhones?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh piss off, Rhianna... honestly, one song is enough, three is just taking the mick. I guess there's a lot of people that like singing through their noses!

Oxymoron

Jonnyram said:
I couldn't work out how to play stuff off an iPod though. Is that functionality still supposed to be in there, or does it just not work with iPhones?
The iPhone seems to have a layer of encryption beyond what the other iPods have, so the 360 can't read off the iPhone as a disk, period.

Jonnyram

Oxymoron said:
The iPhone seems to have a layer of encryption beyond what the other iPods have, so the 360 can't read off the iPhone as a disk, period.
Got it. So a regular iPod nano or something should still work? I'll have to give it a try, because it really is a pain sifting through all the songs on my server :/

icecream

Public Health Threat
Jonnyram said:
Got it. So a regular iPod nano or something should still work? I'll have to give it a try, because it really is a pain sifting through all the songs on my server :/
Toss it on a USB drive.

Alcibiades

If I buy the Lips Spanish version can I import the songs not available in the U.S. English version to there?

I'm gonna run a Karaoke event in a few weeks and want to run a list with as many songs as possible. I know I can download their Zune Karaoke List but I want need the lyrics to be shown.

At this point I plan on buying either version of the game and doing a few downloads, but if I could somehow combine the setlists of the 2 versions of the game that would be awesome.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Alcibiades said:
If I buy the Lips Spanish version can I import the songs not available in the U.S. English version to there?

I'm gonna run a Karaoke event in a few weeks and want to run a list with as many songs as possible. I know I can download their Zune Karaoke List but I want need the lyrics to be shown.

At this point I plan on buying either version of the game and doing a few downloads, but if I could somehow combine the setlists of the 2 versions of the game that would be awesome.
No there isn't a way to import from another Lips disc.

Nemesis_

Speaking of Lips discs, when I install mine it comes up as "Lips Disc 4". Odd :lol

That being said, does anyone know what MS plans to do with the Lips brand? Will iNiS continually work on new discs or is it going to be purely downloadable content? I'm really liking it this far but I really wanna know if MS want to take it further.

saunderez

Nemesis556 said:
That being said, does anyone know what MS plans to do with the Lips brand?
They'd be crazy not to keep it going, it's sold very well for a new franchise in the Singstar-dominated karaoke market.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Yeah, the disc number is just the region of game you've got, really, as there are various artists on a region disc that aren't on others.

There's an interview with whats-his-name from INIS on a Major Nelson podcast a few weeks ago. It sounded very positive, and like they've got plenty of stuff they want to do with the games.

Like someone else said, it seems to have sold quite well, as it was in quite a few of the European charts, and some of the songs have got 300k-odd plays (not sure if that is total or one per user, though).

0OoO0

DLC for Februrary 6th:

Building a Mystery – Sarah McLachlan
Fallin' – Alicia Keys
In My Place – Coldplay

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
0OoO0 said:
DLC for Februrary 6th:

Building a Mystery – Sarah McLachlan
Fallin' – Alicia Keys
In My Place – Coldplay
Quoting this again, sorry, but the PR has been released today and it's the only week of content they've announced.

Normally they announce it in month batches.

I hope this isn't the end. :(

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
cjelly said:
Quoting this again, sorry, but the PR has been released today and it's the only week of content they've announced.

Normally they announce it in month batches.

I hope this isn't the end. :(

The game has another 3 songs listed for next week, which seemed to be pretty popular artists. Don't have the game in front of me, but I don't think it's the end. Just PR people slacking. :p

Alcibiades

How many songs can an Arcade system hold?

I want to delay getting a hard drive as long as possible but would like some Lips songs. Also, is it going to be hard to move them to the hard drive once I get them (or is it a simple copy/past operation?)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Dribble, dribble, dribble. Continuing the recent trend of week-by-week press releases:

Feb. 13

1. Olivia Newton John – “Magic”

2. Avril Lavigne – “My Happy Ending”

3. The Pussycat Dolls featuring Snoop Dogg – “Buttons”

Alcibiades said:
How many songs can an Arcade system hold?

I want to delay getting a hard drive as long as possible but would like some Lips songs. Also, is it going to be hard to move them to the hard drive once I get them (or is it a simple copy/past operation?)
Remember Arcade is only 256MB of memory. Songs are around 70MB with videos, if I remember correctly.

rise888

My girlfriend has been loving the game. It's awesome that there are still new songs coming out weekly for it. We've been having a blast with bobby brown.

It's a shame there isn't a bigger following on this great party game. Maybe once a rock band patch gets released that works with the Lips mics the game will get more popular.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
rise888 said:
My girlfriend has been loving the game. It's awesome that there are still new songs coming out weekly for it. We've been having a blast with bobby brown.

It's a shame there isn't a bigger following on this great party game. Maybe once a rock band patch gets released that works with the Lips mics the game will get more popular.

It is a great game and Microsoft does put out great songs as well.

Top Bottom