• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
The timing is strict, so it's usually down to whoever times it better; Roadhog or his hookee.

Also, I feel like the best way to ensure a kill is by moving forward as soon as you hook and then shooting ASAP, because it gets you a tiny bit closer to ensure the kill and lets you know you can shoot when you can move.

And remember to follow up the shotgun with a melee.

Hook->Primary Fire->Melee. It should be one smooth combo.

Oh and btw, any chance to get the digital goodies (like Tracer for HotS) when buying on PS4?

You can't not get em. The only version on console is the origins edition, which comes with all those extra goodies. I think you just register whatever code it comes with to your battle.net account and the tracer, the Diablo mercy wings, and everything else shows up in your PC games.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I literally apologized yesterday in chat for getting PotG as Bastion.

You're a Bastion player i would upvote.

Nah jk, i have nothing against Bastions, his damage output may be a tiny bit too high but he also has a lot of weak points, like you can easily take him out.

Oh and btw, any chance to get the digital goodies (like Tracer for HotS) when buying on PS4?

I know it was a digital pre-order bonus but not sure now. Best way to check is link your battle.net account within the game and see if you get the goodies (if you buy the digital version).

mephel

I got a Mercy POTG last night. Rezzed 5 allies on the capture point, but died to an ult right at the end. How they all managed to die after that and lose us the match, I don't know...
did you have like 3 or 4 roadhogs on the team? :) same thing happened to us yesterday and we destroyed them right after rez

Copenap

You can't not get em. The only version on console is the origins edition, which comes with all those extra goodies. I think you just register whatever code it comes with to your battle.net account and the tracer, the Diablo mercy wings, and everything else shows up in your PC games.

yes you get all the extra stuff
How does that work for the digital version?
I know it was a digital pre-order bonus but not sure now. Best way to check is link your battle.net account within the game and see if you get the goodies (if you buy the digital version).
I guess that's how it works? Linking the battle.net account.

Thanks guys.

24hr

Going to give Zenyatta a go tonight after work. I really want to be able to use him properly but I suck so hard when I try.

From Kaplan himself

There's no such thing as 100% though.

Remember the time Payday 2 was going to be microtransaction free forever, guys? Remember? Woops! Lol!

Did Blizzard make Payday 2?

Naw, but like Feral said, there's just no such thing as 100% certainty with these things.

Payday devs are not as big and rich as Blizzard doe

Comparing shitty business practices from one company to another absolutely makes no sense--especially when one of the companies has proven that they're fairly good on their word and when they mess up they make decent strides to doing better.

The only game that's kinda on life support from Blizzard is WoW and that's because it's old as shit and doesn't need support to stay alive apparently.

Pardon me, guys, I guess the joke was in poor taste.

vypek

Most people I've played with refuse to destroy turrets, Its really frustrating.

Ran into an opposing Pharah who did her best to stop my turrets. I'd just place one quickly after she destroyed it because she didn't fly around or anything. Just got picked off by the turret a lot when peeking out.

It definitely is rare to find an opponent willing to fight a turret. I try to do it sometimes but as Lucio I don't kill them too quickly if someone is helping/repairing them.

Sylas

Remember the time Payday 2 was going to be microtransaction free forever, guys? Remember? Woops! Lol!

Comparing shitty business practices from one company to another absolutely makes no sense--especially when one of the companies has proven that they're fairly good on their word and when they mess up they make decent strides to doing better.

The only game that's kinda on life support from Blizzard is WoW and that's because it's old as shit and doesn't need support to stay alive apparently.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I had my two most satisfying kills yet last night. One was as Genji, where as soon as the game started, I turned to the bastion parked right outside the spawn point and made him kill himself with deflected bullets pretty much instantly.

The other was my first successful grip and pop as Roadhog. Snagged the dwarf engineer (yes he's the dwarf engineer) away from his turret that was on the capture point and killed him in one hit.

I like roadhog, I think I'll mess around with him some more tonight

On the salt side: Level 13, still no epic or legendary skins.

Brohan

I'm really liking this game but whenever i play this game by myself i somehow keep getting put on the losing team. Like i Just did 9 games and only won one.

It's frustrating as hell.

Interfectum

On the salt side: Level 13, still no epic or legendary skins.

This Lucio skin dropped for me last night, level 11.

cGtqq9g.png

Symmetra didn't look appealing at first, but she is surprisingly enjoyable. Well hidden turrets can really fuck up someone's day.

She's my most played character now. Well placed turrets murder these new players.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I find that most often the people that complain that 'My teammates never fucking switch to support' are the same individuals whmo never fucking switch to support.

Pastry

Banned
I really hope we get more content soon, especially heroes. I really enjoy the game but I really do feel like its content light and I didn't necessarily get $60 worth.

That being said, I finally started to understand D-Va last night.

I really wish they'd rework Widowmaker's and 76's ults. 76's isn't necessarily broken, but it's pretty lazy, design wise.

Imo, a mechanic which drastically increases the impact of a player's mechanical skill is often going to be preferable to a mechanic which replaces it entirely in an FPS. It just feels kinda cheap and not really contributing positively to the game to have an ultimate which removes your need to aim for a few seconds in a game where DM and raw mechanical skill are already of pretty low importance compared to some other FPS titles.

It also just sucks to have a duration-based ult where the most logical counterplay most of the time is to run and hide behind a wall or a shield until it's over because otherwise if you're vaguely on his screen you're lined up for an almost guaranteed death. Again, not necessarily a stupid or imbalanced mechanic, but it doesn't really feel enjoyable to play against I think. It's one of those ultimates where it's startlingly easy to counter and yet paradoxically you don't really feel like you've been outplayed at all if you die to it. If he happens to use when you're not really in a position to easily run away and hide, you don't really feel like you could've done a whole lot about it either, apart from just to not have been standing there. It's different to McCree's ult in that sense I think because of a) how vulnerable McCree is during the chargeup time and b) the fact that McCree's ult HAS that chargeup time where he's looking to get the most value out of his ult and you have that window to try and get away and maybe force him to either waste it or use it inefficiently. 76 can press Q and almost immediately start shooting.

Widowmaker's is just dumb, especially with her ludicrously fast charge-up time. Fuck that.

Well, just bought the PS4 version and installing now. This thread and the GB QuickBooks convinced me as well. I'd play on PC but my MacBook Pro is not that great nowadays.

Looking forward to playing a lot of support!

I added myself to the Google doc already.

PSN: hi-fi_famicom
I live in California, so PST time. I play random hours, but usually will be on late evenings, sometimes mornings.

Just had my first play of the game as Junkrat! I killed a whole two people with the tire right inside the objective during overtime. The tire didn't even travel more than a few feet. Then I died and killed 3 more as they were pushing hard to take over the point, lol. I love that he drops grenades when he dies.

Oh, cool. Fixed my stuttery performance compared to the beta by disabling the W10 Game DVR, which I had enabled while playing Quantum Break. Back to a solid 70fps on maxed-except-AA settings (i5 3570k & 970).

JoeNut

So am i likely to end up way behind if i don't pick this up in the first couple of weeks? i want to finish far harbour first

Klyka

Banned
I really hope we get more content soon, especially heroes. I really enjoy the game but I really do feel like its content light and I didn't necessarily get $60 worth.

That being said, I finally started to understand D-Va last night.

There are 21 different heroes.

TWENTY ONE.

I dare you to tell me you literally play all of them every day.

volgihn

Ran into an opposing Pharah who did her best to stop my turrets. I'd just place one quickly after she destroyed it because she didn't fly around or anything. Just got picked off by the turret a lot when peeking out.

It definitely is rare to find an opponent willing to fight a turret. I try to do it sometimes but as Lucio I don't kill them too quickly if someone is helping/repairing them.

Played against a team of 5 Torbjörn yesterday on Hanamura. I was using Reinhardt and was blocking damage from 5 turrets while my team continued to be useless. The only turrets that ended up being destroyed were the ones I managed to get to.

vypek

So am i likely to end up way behind if i don't pick this up in the first couple of weeks? i want to finish far harbour first

Not really. Even if you aren't playing you might still be able to figure out match ups by reading up on it or watching videos. This thread has helped me a little in that regard.

And no one gets play advantages from leveling up so it will be the same footing. You'll be fine getting this in a couple weeks or later down the line.

Played against a team of 5 Torbjörn yesterday on Hanamura. I was using Reinhardt and was blocking damage from 5 turrets while my team continued to be useless. The only turrets that ended up being destroyed were the ones I managed to get to.

I hope you left the room after that. That would be annoying as hell to me. A Pharah and/or Widowmaker could easily sit behind your shield and start popping away those turrets. Maybe have a Reaper flank and kill some Torbjorns or even just flank the turrets themselves.

24hr

I really hope they release new character skins since most people are getting most legendary ones in such low levels.

You're a Bastion player i would upvote.

Nah jk, i have nothing against Bastions, his damage output may be a tiny bit too high but he also has a lot of weak points, like you can easily take him out.

Haha, for sure. I only play them when there's a decent Rein covering my ass or a good enough team distracting everyone else.

DrArchon

The sound design in this game is phenomenal. Every hit sound is crisp enough that you know you made contact but not so dominating that you can't focus on everything else. Having every ult in the game come with a line of dialog that you can hear from basically anywhere on the map is great as well, and it's genius that allied ults are just as loud but use different lines so you know that they're going off and can push the advantage,

rdytoroll

This game is so much fun. I have no idea what I'm doing though lol

I really like Roadhog and Zenyatta so far. Feels like I'm contributing to the team without going on insane killstreaks

I really wish they'd rework Widowmaker's and 76's ults. 76's isn't necessarily broken, but it's pretty lazy, design wise.

Imo, a mechanic which drastically increases the impact of a player's mechanical skill is often going to be preferable to a mechanic which replaces it entirely in an FPS. It just feels kinda cheap and not really contributing positively to the game to have an ultimate which removes your need to aim for a few seconds in a game where DM and raw mechanical skill are already of pretty low importance compared to some other FPS titles.

It also just sucks to have a duration-based ult where the most logical counterplay most of the time is to run and hide behind a wall or a shield until it's over because otherwise if you're vaguely on his screen you're lined up for an almost guaranteed death. Again, not necessarily a stupid or imbalanced mechanic, but it doesn't really feel enjoyable to play against I think. It's one of those ultimates where it's startlingly easy to counter and yet paradoxically you don't really feel like you've been outplayed at all if you die to it. If he happens to use when you're not really in a position to easily run away and hide, you don't really feel like you could've done a whole lot about it either, apart from just to not have been standing there. It's different to McCree's ult in that sense I think because of a) how vulnerable McCree is during the chargeup time and b) the fact that McCree's ult HAS that chargeup time where he's looking to get the most value out of his ult and you have that window to try and get away and maybe force him to either waste it or use it inefficiently. 76 can press Q and almost immediately start shooting.

Widowmaker's is just dumb, especially with her ludicrously fast charge-up time. Fuck that.

Eeeh. McCree's chargeup isn't that long if he just gets squishies. Rocket Barrage and Whole Hog basically remove any aiming demands on players there, and for both of these as well as D.va, zenyatta, and lucio ults, the counterplay is basically to run, or hide, and just wait it out.I don't think there are many ults that increase the impact of a player's skill, except maybe... Genji? Tracer?

S76 is conspicuous cuz his shit is literally autoaim, but I don't think it's actually that far removed from a lot of the other offensive ults in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom