• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It is INSANEEE how fast you can reload with reaper if you reload cancel into a melee, you can melee pretty much as soon as you hit R.

That shit right there approaches broken level of game mechanic.

But then you miss the awesome animation ;_;

I am so damn close to pulling the trigger on a purchase, GAF. What will push me over the edge?

The last online MP game I sunk a lot of time in was Splatoon. Loved it. Before that, I played a decent amount of Titanfall but admittedly sucked at it. Was still enjoyable.

Trying to think of anything else that would help an informed decision... I'm not really one to coordinate via voice chat...?

What say you? Buy or no?

For now not a lot of people use voice chat but it helps greatly to communicate. The game can be pretty fast for people not used to these kind of games so it can be frustrating to get a grip of what's going on without knowing all the heroes, not being used to this kind of gameplay, etc. Still, the game is incredibly polished, very charming, heroes are imo fairly balanced and unique, games are pretty quick so you can jump in and play two or three games before work, school, whatever, if that's your thing and it's overall one of the most fun MP games I remember playing.

Mupod

Either that or Reaper/Soldier 76 using their ultimate. Wish they'd change up PotG as something more than just boring killstreaks

They do, but it's rare.

I mentioned it earlier but I got one by quickly killing an ult'ing Pharah as Zenyatta, followed by hitting Transcendence and healing the crap out of my team while they were on the point. It labelled the POTG as a 'shutdown' on the highlight screen. It seems to assign 'points' to certain actions but favors killstreaks and Mercy mass rezzes.

It would be really cool if it could somehow analyze big swings in progress for either side and pick the exact turning point of the match. But that's probably asking too much.

Firestorm

It is INSANEEE how fast you can reload with reaper if you reload cancel into a melee, you can melee pretty much as soon as you hit R and it'll work before you even have a chance to get your finger off R.

Do you have to hit someone with the melee or can you just melee air and then start shooting again immediately?

Baliis

They do, but it's rare.

I mentioned it earlier but I got one by quickly killing an ult'ing Pharah as Zenyatta, followed by hitting Transcendence and healing the crap out of my team while they were on the point. It labelled the POTG as a 'shutdown' on the highlight screen. It seems to assign 'points' to certain actions but favors killstreaks and Mercy mass rezzes.

It would be really cool if it could somehow analyze big swings in progress for either side and pick the exact turning point of the match. But that's probably asking too much.

It also heavily rewards objective kills and shutting down someone's ult so you pretty much hit all the check boxes there.

Dreavus

I'm not scared of Winston. He doesn't DPS or really makes sense to me.

*Winston jumps in, bubbles, ults and punches me off stages.

Honestly, he isn't scary without his Ult or bubble. He feels so special dependent.

It depends who you are. If you're on Widowmaker or Hanzo sitting on a rooftop somewhere and Winston decides he wants to fuck your shit up he's going to be pretty scary IMO. Same goes for if you're trying to hang out at the back of the pack as Mercy and suddenly you are being zapped to death.

If you're someone like Roadhog you laugh in his face and are free to almost completely ignore him. I had a ridiculous drawn out fight of a Roadhog trying to kill my Mercy healer and I had to run in front to take bullets for her until someone else came to finally help us kill him. I had my Tesla cannon on him the whole time and it barely did anything to him, but then again that's part of the point of the weapon, good for squishies bad for big guys.

Bittercup

Someone just called me a bitch. And in another match someone felt the need to call the team 'faggs' for not playing to his standards. Besides that it's been very pleasant so far with the in-game communication in my experience.
I hope this stays like that.

And Widowmaker is now my most played character. Time for an avatar-change.
After the advices earlier here I just picked her whenever I wanted. I really enjoy playing as her (depending on the map).
I still love D.va though. Just got my quadruple kill explosion (+ several turrets in addition) and play of the game with that. Nerf this!

Every time I headshot a Tracer as Hanzo:

nyyR5fB.gif

MUnited83

For you.
It depends who you are. If you're on Widowmaker or Hanzo sitting on a rooftop somewhere and Winston decides he wants to fuck your shit up he's going to be pretty scary IMO. Same goes for if you're trying to hang out at the back of the pack as Mercy and suddenly you are being zapped to death.

If you're someone like Roadhog you laugh in his face and are free to almost completely ignore him. I had a ridiculous drawn out fight of a Roadhog trying to kill my Mercy healer and I had to run in front to take bullets for her until someone else came to finally help us kill him. I had my Tesla cannon on him the whole time and it barely did anything to him, but then again that's part of the point of the weapon, good for squishies bad for big guys.

There's nothing more hilarious than seeing a Widowmaker in the distance, do a surprise jump into her, and watch her panic as she tries to get away from you.

Yeah, that Reaper melee cancel is so clutch. That alone took him up a tier in my book. I wasn't a big fan at all, and part of it was the long reload made worse by the fact that I'm typically a manual reloader in all games.

I almost never let a clip go to the bottom unless I absolutely have to when getting a kill.

wamberz1

It is INSANEEE how fast you can reload with reaper if you reload cancel into a melee, you can melee pretty much as soon as you hit R and it'll work before you even have a chance to get your finger off R.

I love hidden tech like this. I hope they don't take it out.

They do, but it's rare.

Agreed, I can't tell you how many payload matches my Mei has turned around on defense by contesting the point and being a wall, but that will never get PotG.

I played for two hours and hit level 7. Having a blast so far. Unlocked a legendary Zarya skin, some normal skins, and some sprays. Not bad for a handful of crates.

I've been enjoying playing as Lucio, Mercy, and Tolberone so far. Also liking Symmetra for her turrets, great for defense. Surprisingly, I didn't think I'd like playing as a tank, but I have been doing well with Reinhardt! I've tried D.Va but she hasn't clicked with me yet. I just need to learn her strats.

Kane1345

I played for two hours and hit level 7. Having a blast so far. Unlocked a legendary Zarya skin, some normal skins, and some sprays. Not bad for a handful of crates.

I've been enjoying playing as Lucio, Mercy, and Tolberone so far. Also liking Symmetra for her turrets, great for defense. Surprisingly, I didn't think I'd like playing as a tank, but I have been doing well with Reinhardt! I've tried D.Va but she hasn't clicked with me yet. I just need to learn her strats.

Making me hungry ;)

Genji is quickly becoming my favorite attack hero because of the ability to reflect bullets. It deals nicely with turtling bastions that are pretty much guaranteed on defending team.

Zomba13

People really need to learn/remember that you block captures/pushing if you get on the point while on def. Too many times I've seen my team decide to fight around the square and not on it leading us to lose when they could have at least prevented that cap.

Kane1345

I just played a game where I spent the most time on the payload.....playing as Genji. Rest of the team decided it would be fun to try and go really far ahead and die

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

nice! added you on PSN btw

Mupod

People really need to learn/remember that you block captures/pushing if you get on the point while on def. Too many times I've seen my team decide to fight around the square and not on it leading us to lose when they could have at least prevented that cap.

b-but my k/d

last night I saw something weird, our Soldier 76 was standing right in the middle of the damn point on Hanamura as the 'defeat' screen came up. He was unmistakable because he spent 40 bucks to get that damn Super Dave skin, lol.

Everybody was confused as hell, we were about to wipe them out too.

Balthuk

Thanks for all your answers, good to see what people prefer to play.

Depend on the situation.

Personally, I like going D.Va when we're getting camped at spawn. I just fly over buildings and attack them from behind, or capture an objective almost all by myself.

Yeah. Thing I don't see D.VA players doing nearly enough is being aggressive. Shield+Boost and get in thier face and don't be afraid to lose your mech. If sacrificing your mech means taking out a problem turret or Bastion that's keeping your team at bay sacrifice it and then keep the pressure up with her blaster. DV.A herself is really fragile but her blaster is super good and she gets her mech back pretty quickly as long as you are throwing out blaster shots.

Ye this is probably true, I'm way too defensive myself as well.

Lucio all over

My team is doing ______ I'll go Lucio. BECAUSE NO ONE FUCKING PICKS SUPPORT.

Yeah every game I can pick tank or support and there won't be too many of them. But hey at least it's enjoyable.
I'm more into mercy that lucio, she's so squishy and flying around people in order to get enemies off you is pretty cool. Plus ulti charges so quick.

Also wow this moves way too fast.

Dragoshi1

I've been using almost every character equally, usually to fill nitches in the team, but my mains are D.Va, Mei, Reaper, Dwarf n Turret, and Widowmaker.

Fun game, but horrible when playing solo. My teammates have to be stupid to NOT wanna cap points. Kills don't matter!

Vestal

You can't carry a team but you can swing a game for your team.

Backdooring while your team keeps running into a wall of enemies makes the enemies pull off and some of your stupid teammates start to push in. I won a game that we should have lost because of this. Nobody capturing point A to start the payload. Literally. Nobody. Backdoor at Overtime. Over-commited enemy falls back. Stupid team comes in. Take the point and then proceed to march the payload the entire way home.

This game also needs a little time, too. By the last day or so of the beta, I rarely ever saw a one-sided game.

Agreed.. Same with 1 Hero change completely changing a Game from total disaster to a victory.

Happened in my last game last night we were getting mauled over my attacking team pushing a payload, our builders/defense were freaking horrible. I took a chance and switched from being the only tank to MEI and was able to hold off the offensive team for 5 minutes with the payload just around the corner from the end game.

MEI is the type of character that can really turn the tide in a game like payload.

Yeah, that Reaper melee cancel is so clutch. That alone took him up a tier in my book. I wasn't a big fan at all, and part of it was the long reload made worse by the fact that I'm typically a manual reloader in all games.

I almost never let a clip go to the bottom unless I absolutely have to when getting a kill.

I think I might go back to giving Reaper a go. I Melee reload cancel in like every other game, but forgot to even try here. I forgot there's a melee at all its a little embarrassing.

Mupod

it's funny but the only 'trash talk' I've seen has been the team turning on itself...after winning. I watched a Tracer and Roadhog call each other useless the whole game and epeen over medals. And later on that night we lost to a team that then started fighting amongst themselves in chat for the whole next match.

Solo queue nobody says anything. I turned off voice chat though, I'm always in mumble with friends anyways. Also one too many instances of people who don't know what push to talk is. I don't want to hear your chair creaking while you eat a hamburger or whatever the fuck.

Kyuur

Had a super good D'Va match earlier today. Snuck behind the enemy team and dash->ulted from a good distance way, it blew them up without any time to react. I love her pop-in pop-out playstyle, really clicked for me once I realized how fast you could charge the mech recall if you were aggressive.

SDCowboy

So I made the switch to Bastion as my main, and everything has changed. My average kills have probably doubled and I'm actually get put into winning groups! haha

Yea, it's annoying and needs to be fixed ASAP.

Reaper gets off more Specials every game than anyone else does - GEE, I WONDER WHY? IT'S LIKE HE HAS UNLIMITED AMMO OR SOMETHING?!?!?!>!!?

/sigh Blizz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom