• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just got D.Va Legendary Skin. This is the best skin for her by a long long margin

maxresdefault.jpg

Still not a big fan of it, will probably wait for the next batch of skins.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I love how even though this is 1st person, the characters all animate uniquely and with amazing detail. They walk different, move different. Mccrees hat falls off when he dies etc. its the little things.

Yeah, it's the MKX of shooters. It's a fighting game x FPS x strategy game.

What's worse: Never getting legendaries from loot boxes or only getting legendaries that you dislike/getting legendaries for characters you don't use often?

Because the latter keeps happening to me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wow. I'm a complete moron. As soon as I read these responses I knew exactly what you were talking about. I guess I get so mixed up in the action I wasn't paying attention when it was above 0.

That's not surprising, they could do a lot more to make it obvious she's powering up. The only indicators are the number (small, hard to see) and the glowing sphere (vague, out of line of sight).

I'm not expecting a lot of characters for this, no where near typical MOBA levels.

I'm thinking more maps, maybe one or two more modes, and things we haven't really seen like co-op or three-ways.

fhqwhgads

CTF is a pretty bad mode anyway. At least it was rubbish in TF2. I'm scarred by 2fort.

But yeah, there's a bunch of characters that just wouldn't work in the mode. Multiple tracers could chain their recalls or the character becomes useless if recall drops the flag. Bastions and Tjorborn guarding would be very grinding and boring. I'm glad the mode isn't available especially since Blizzard doesn't give us any control over what maps or mode we play game to game.
Yeah, seems like Blizzard knew that CTF simply doesn't work in class/hero based shooters or at least saw how terrible and unpopular the mode is in TF2. I could make a whole thread about all the things Overwatch got influenced by TF2 for the better.

Zemm

God damn the matchmaking in this game is atrocious.

Should not be this many squash matches in a competitive multiplayer only shooter.

I've learnt very quickly that even if the matchmaking puts people together who are equally skilled, if one team has a bad character composition it's going to be a uphill struggle. It's almost impossible to carry a game full of randoms, which you can definitely do in CoD and TF2. Way more teamwork is required for this game.

I was thinking that, but then I thought about something like League where it's the same map and gametype over and over but there's a enough champion diversity to accomplish the same goal in many different ways.

Then again it's three lanes and a jungle vs one and the game has been out for way longer.
League and Dota also have like 100+ heroes to keep things fresh and interesting though. I wonder what Blizzard will be able to do on the hero front.

Haruko

Tons of characters would be brutal in CTF.

Tracer is obvious.
Winston would also be incredibly good. Grab the flag, leap out, drop a shield. Your leap is back in a few seconds.
Pharrah would be incredibly mobile and not many individuals can stop her.
A good Junkrat can fling himself across the map.
Etc.

I dunno. I love CTF though so it'd be interesting to see them try

Only way I could see it working is if holding the flag locked you out of your normal abilities/weapons.

Flag carriers would just have the ability to jump, melee with the Flag, and if they want to borrow from Halo, shoot a basic sidearm & be able to toss or drop the flag.

What's worse: Never getting legendaries from loot boxes or only getting legendaries that you dislike/getting legendaries for characters you don't use often?

Because the latter keeps happening to me.
I'd honestly rather get voice lines, emotes, poses and all that nonsense for characters I like than a skin for some trash character I hate like Reaper or Mei.

Yeah, seems like Blizzard knew that CTF simply doesn't work in class/hero based shooters or at least saw how terrible and unpopular the mode is in TF2. I could make a whole thread about all the things Overwatch got influenced by TF2 for the better.

Well, I wouldn't call CTF unpopular in TF2. 2Fort is probably one of the most played maps in the game, and probably in general.

2Fort is, and always was, a garbage map though, yeah. Overwatch wouldn't do it any better.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've learnt very quickly that even if the matchmaking puts people together who are equally skilled, if one team has a bad character composition it's going to be a uphill struggle. It's almost impossible to carry a game full of randoms, which you can definitely do in CoD and TF2. Way more teamwork is required for this game.

Pretty much.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
WHAT

At least use real fighting game examples bro :b

Well, for cast diversity, animations, and environments MKX is above the pack. That's what I was getting at. Both games have cowboys, robots, ninjas, scantily clad female assassins, bow and arrow dude, tough guy soldier, brawlers, etc., etc.

TheRed

The death wish isn't the funny part there. The bunched undies are. Toxicity in video games rolls off of me. Dota has battle hardened me.
Every time I play dota it saddens me that my team would rather type dumb shit than play better. Hopefully this doesn't become like that.

Gurrry

I was thinking that, but then I thought about something like League where it's the same map and gametype over and over but there's a enough champion diversity to accomplish the same goal in many different ways.

Then again it's three lanes and a jungle vs one and the game has been out for way longer.

Theres also item and level builds that change each game drastically.

I really hope that blizzard is sitting on some newer game modes that will really hook me.

fhqwhgads

Well, I wouldn't call CTF unpopular in TF2. 2Fort is probably one of the most played maps in the game, and probably in general.

2Fort is, and always was, a garbage map though, yeah. Overwatch wouldn't do it any better.
I mean unpopular with the veteran/skilled community. Sure your average random player will love CTF because it's an excuse to go Engineer and camp in a corner, but anyone who's played TF2 for a long amount of time despises CTF.

Even gaffers can be stubborn -.-

Played attack in Anubis and opponent had a full on bastion/thorbjörn setup going on and our guys just didn't change heroes to match them at all. We had 6 minutes to win and it was painful to watch us bang our heads against their setup. I guess people changed heroes at the last minute after I whined, but it was too late :b

Yeah, premades are definitely not immune from being zoning out when it comes to getting stomped.

ncslamm

So I built my gaming PC this morning and this was the first game I installed. I've got to say that the PC version feels so good after playing it on PS4. I just couldn't get my aim down on PS4 for some reason.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Some of these players I get grouped up with really don't want to succeed

Why yes Lucio leave the Tank and get annihilated by the Defense set up for you

Oh yes Widowmaker and Junkrat, stay in our base and lob grenades or shoot from the perch

What's that buzzing sound, oh the enemy Symetra put up her little light show, yeah don't destroy them, let them eat away your health

A Pharah don't use your jet pack or D.Va use your boost to do knock back, yet get caught in the geometry well behind enemy lines and die over and over

Yes Mei please put up the ice wall as Attack right at the start stalling your own team, giving the enemy 3-5 sec to setup more >_<

Gotta love Reapers who Teleport right into enemy fire, you can almost half warp to the other side of the map and you choose to spawn into crossfire, you do realize there's a delay and you will get clobbered

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Every time I play dota it saddens me that my team would rather type dumb shit than play better. Hopefully this doesn't become like that.

Ideally in this game it will be cordoned off into the competitive mode when that is reintroduced. The sad thing about Dota is that it's prevalent in both ranked and unranked matchmaking. People in Dota are incorrigible.

Calcium

Banned
I'm loving this game so far. It really nails that "One more round..." gameplay addiction. My only complaint is that I'd like to have another way to earn loot boxes. The current setup is a little too "Fuck you, give us money." for my tastes. A daily challenge system for wins/kills/ultimate uses would be most welcome.

TheRed

One team has to lose, you have a lot more fun if you don't let it get to you and work on improving your game and hopefully the team backs you up, if not not that big a deal. This applies to all the games I play online like my thousands of hours in Dota 2. Of course it's frustrating on a losing streak but then take a break and come back later.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
someone go tank plz need tank so and so go tank we need tank

(nobody stays with tank and just runs ahead as flankers and dies)

Go Tank, Mercy goes heal McCree close to enemy lockdown area, by flying away, dieing, now your team waits for her to come back only to fly past you again use her ultimate to revive 2 dead teammates, because 3 vs 6 look so good...

While you as a Tank and 2 DD's are trying to push up together...

Some Mercy's are just horrible

besada

Banned
Every time I play as Mercy the other team make sure to target me exclusively while my team just leave me for dead

Attach yourself to a tank and hide behind them:) Lots of teams are bad about not watching their flanks, and Mercy's are in deep shit when they see a Tracer appear. But you should always be close enough to a team member to zip over to them and make it their problem.

Also, fuck Tracer.

I think the most satisfying thing I've done so far is counter a Genji who just popped his ult with a Reinhardt's charge. I can only imagine how upset he was. I've tackled a few time bomb D.Va ult's too, but the Genji one made me smile more.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
havent checked but have a feeling tonight tanked my W/L ratio ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom