• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Pure TDM doesn't work for team fortress shooters.

The only additional mode this game needs to have is Capture The Flag.

Yup, I will literally beg for CTF modes in FPS' and this one is perfect for it imo.

Once I played a game where I, as Mercy, had the gold medal for eliminations for the first half of the game then the silver medal until the end.

I wasn't even trying to shoot people but my allies kept dying while I was left to fend for myself.

That wasn't a very pleasant game.

Playing support, I've noticed that a lot of your teammates will kinda just ignore you and leave you to fend for yourself most of the time. It's pretty annoying. At least Lucio has the mobility to run away.

Ken

Even gaffers can be stubborn -.-

Played attack in Anubis and opponent had a full on bastion/thorbjörn setup going on and our guys just didn't change heroes to match them at all. We had 6 minutes to win and it was painful to watch us bang our heads against their setup. I guess people changed heroes at the last minute after I whined, but it was too late :b

Stubborn or just didn't know?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I think they should at least add a TDM, and then allow players to choose which modes they want to play. Maybe in the future, who knows.

so basically kill the rest of the game with fire so it can be another TDM shooter?

horrible plan :p

eventually the TDM losers will drift away into the other annual games that offer a more competitive TDM scene. but yeah.. right now it's horrible.

except for every game I'm in.. THOSE games they seem to have no problem killing my Mercy and securing/controlling the points.. oh, because my team is 5/6 offensive TDM losers.. that's right...

Owzers

Even gaffers can be stubborn -.-

Played attack in Anubis and opponent had a full on bastion/thorbjörn setup going on and our guys just didn't change heroes to match them at all. We had 6 minutes to win and it was painful to watch us bang our heads against their setup. I guess people changed heroes at the last minute after I whined, but it was too late :b

what would be a good switch up ? Reinhart/pharah/healer?

Am i wrong to assume that Bastion on the Attack team isn't a good idea? We lost horribly, i was hoping they'd switch, i still am not sure what makes a good team though.

zoukka

Mei is so dirty in Hanamura, I trapped 4 people with the wall, ulted on them and killed them all by myself. Later I just walked to the objective and ulted and watched all five of them get frozen and blasted to bits.

On a counter note, my opponents absolutely deleted our team. Graviton Surge our whole team into Rocket Barrage. Tears were shed.

what would be a good switch up ? Reinhart/pharah/healer?

Am i wrong to assume that Bastion on the Attack team isn't a good idea? We lost horribly, i was hoping they'd switch, i still am not sure what makes a good team though.

I'm no master, but bastion against two defending bastions is useless. Hanzo felt pretty weak too no matter how good the player could be. We just didn't have any follow ups to my winston, we needed Junkrat/Pharah/ to clean turrets and bastions and maybe a Reinhardt/Winston to make us tankier.

Eh, agree to disagree. I'm of the mind that adding modes in these types of games never hurts. Especially if the bulk of the games focus remains on the main modes, and that's where the updates and support lies, then I see no reason in throwing TDM kids a bone, especially if it keeps them away from Team Modes. TF2 having DM mods doesnt hurt it. Dota 2 having different gameplay modes doesn't hurt it, it even has a DM mode, despite the game being not balanced around that at all. Options rarely, if ever, are a bad thing. If the game is fun and strong and has a good community, it will always balance out.

Maybe more indications to new players what the objective is the match is. Kind of like TF2 and their Mission Objective screens at the beginning of maps

nOoblet16

Yup, I will literally beg for CTF modes in FPS' and this one is perfect for it imo.

Someone will tell you how it won't work in games with different character speed because Tracer.

Someone else will remind that person that CTF exists in TF2 where you have someone like the heavy who is slower than the slowest character in Overwatch and Scout who has a higher base running speed and has a lot more mobile than Tracer since he can double jump while Tracer has pretty much zero verticality. Though Tracer does have blink, outside of that she isn't nearly as fast as Scout.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I wouldn't mind pugs playing TDM if they actually killed anything.

If it wasn't for shitty pubs playing TDM and not killing anything I'd never get a gold medal playing Reinhardt in all the games I attempt to save by picking to try and fix our team comp.

Jasoneyu

Quick questions for people who have legendary skins (I haven't gotten any myself :( )

Does the skins also drastically change the visual look of the Gun/arm you are using for the character skin?

Moonlight

Banned
Just got a match where I managed to kill a Widowmaker at long range with D.Va pistol...several times, while she was trying to snipe me at the same time...

AbT4Oar.gif
I love D.Va's pistol, to be honest. No damage drop off, shitloads of range, decent damage, high fire rate. I think if D.Va wasn't basically wet toilet paper outside her mech, it might be a strict upgrade, lol.

Onemic

Yeah, I first started out playing with 2-3 friends so I didn't notice, but my first REAL randoms I was flabergasted.

We weren't even losing, was just constant trading back and forth with the other team, except we were attack, so since no one was even going near the control point, we just lost, and since I was the only one trying to move towards it, I'd get destroyed as the rest of my team was way back.

The game does really need some more communication to what the Match Making is.

I think they should at least add a TDM, and then allow players to choose which modes they want to play. Maybe in the future, who knows.

The game has way higher highs than any other MP shooter I've played in ages though.

Just wait for the competitive play patch to hit.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Yeah, I first started out playing with 2-3 friends so I didn't notice, but my first REAL randoms I was flabergasted.

We weren't even losing, was just constant trading back and forth with the other team, except we were attack, so since no one was even going near the control point, we just lost, and since I was the only one trying to move towards it, I'd get destroyed as the rest of my team was way back.

The game does really need some more communication to what the Match Making is.

The game has way higher highs than any other MP shooter I've played in ages though.

i hope they never add TDM - would effectively kill the game

I'd like separate playlists for KoTH and Payload. Sometimes I'm in the mood for one or the other.

1 big player base is best

Quick questions for people who have legendary skins (I haven't gotten any myself :( )

Does the skins also drastically change the visual look of the Gun/arm you are using for the character skin?

yeah and its the coolest

I'd like separate playlists for KoTH and Payload. Sometimes I'm in the mood for one or the other.

This is my main focus. I'd just like playlists. Server browser would be cool, but just gimme Halo styled playlists so I can choose game modes.

i hope they never add TDM - would effectively kill the game

Again, agree to disagree with all of you. I think the game is fantastic, and I don't see a TDM mode somehow killing the whole community in one fell swoop. People would either play it and get bored because as you all claim, it's not designed around it, or it would get it's own subset of players and it would balance out.

I doubt they'll add it though, and there are other things I'd rather them add for sure.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Gawd Damn, most hilarious ass whooping on Temple of Anubis I've ever seen

5minute match, we #Rekt the Attackers lol

LmJHc2Ql.jpg

nOoblet16

I love D.Va's pistol, to be honest. No damage drop off, shitloads of range, decent damage, high fire rate. I think if D.Va wasn't basically wet toilet paper outside her mech, it might be a strict upgrade, lol.

Had a game where a D.Va got PoTG while being outside of her mech, from a triple kill.

Gawd Damn, most hilarious ass whooping on Temple of Anubis I've ever seen

5minute match, we #Rekt the Attackers lol

LmJHc2Ql.jpg

Seems like you camped in turret mode for so long in the previous match that you have foliage growing on you.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Eh, agree to disagree. I'm of the mind that adding modes in these types of games never hurts. Especially if the bulk of the games focus remains on the main modes, and that's where the updates and support lies, then I see no reason in throwing TDM kids a bone, especially if it keeps them away from Team Modes.

biggest problem is when TDM becomes a significant portion of your player base (and always will as it is the brain dead mode), and players start whining that Mercy and Lucio are useless in TDM, etc.

by leaving TDM out they don't have to worry about tuning rock/paper/scissors for all characters to be viable in TDM. With TDM, not only do you have to worry about tuning support characters, BUT you even have to be concerned with offensive meta and keeping that tuned as well, even though that meta could and would be entirely different from the objective meta.

unquestionably leaving TDM out is why they were able to build the game they did. adding it in would by default change the game DRASTICALLY. It wouldn't just be adding another mode for people to play with.

How would CTF even work, though? Everyone would just pick tracer and zip to the base

yeah.. CTF isn't quite as bad as TDM, but definitely a harsher objective-based mode than what we have. the biggest problem being that everyone will default to the most efficient flag carriers. the concept of support still theoretically exists, except that in almost all cases it pays to just be another flag carrier and to just keep moving the flag in your direction.

Hybrid seems to be a good substitute for CTF. I mean there's effectively only one flag that begins with a fight to capture it.. but at least it gives both teams a fair fight to try and own the payload (aka flag)

Baliis

Yeah, just like how everyone in TF2 just picks Scout.

Oh wait...

Not quite the same though. Tracer could blink blink blink right onto the flag then recall out way beyond the reach of any defenders. You'd have to do something about movement skills when carrying the flag or something.

Would be a nightmare. With shit like Tracer blinking in grabbing flag, and blinking out. With Symettra having a teleporter nearby.

You could have 3 flags capped in like 10 seconds if you planned that shit out.

I'd rather see a Tug of War style match. Or some sort of landmark that each team needs to defend/destroy.

Like, Street Fighter Bonus round car style stuff.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
amazing entrance defense... lets somene steal the point...TWICE.

lol >_<

Not quite the same though. Tracer could blink blink blink right onto the flag then recall out way beyond the reach of any defenders. You'd have to do something about movement skills when carrying the flag or something.

I would totally play a mode where you couldn't use abilities if you possessed the flag. That could be amazing.

Phinor

I'm not sure how good the matchmaking is or is the game just so random that anything can happen despite the matchmaking. 11 losses in a row today, finally got first win and it didn't feel any better. It was as terribly balanced match as the losses, just in favour of my team for once. Balanced tight matches seem really rare when in the beta they were the norm.

biggest problem is when TDM becomes a significant portion of your player base (and always will as it is the brain dead mode), and players start whining that Mercy and Lucio are useless in TDM, etc.

by leaving TDM out they don't have to worry about tuning rock/paper/scissors for all characters to be viable in TDM. With TDM, not only do you have to worry about tuning support characters, BUT you even have to be concerned with offensive meta and keeping that tuned as well, even though that meta could and would be entirely different from the objective meta.

unquestionably leaving TDM out is why they were able to build the game they did. adding it in would by default change the game DRASTICALLY. It wouldn't just be adding another mode for people to play with.

I still don't agree, but I'm not gonna shit up the thread about it. We'll see where Blizz wants to take the game, which is I'm sure to add more team based modes. And like you've all said, if someone wants TDM, there is no shortage of options for them elsewhere.

Back to WINston'ing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom