• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, but if you have like a s76 pushing behind Reinhardt barrier that's pretty good blue beam opportunity.

Or anyone throwing out an ult sometimes it might be worth boosting that maybe? Idk

I only heal when no one picks healer though so shrug

It's only a 30% boost. It's nice but as Lucio I can usually run a 1.5-2 KDR while still healing. I can also contest payloads / capture points way more effectively than Mercy. Literally all Mercy brings is the team rez, which while amazing, almost hamstrings her from being allowed to do anything else.

If we're referencing competitive play, then the stats that people
usually I think?
quote are from these graphs from the last part of beta. They may be wrong. They may represent an immature pro scene that hasn't explored McCree's weaknesses or other characters strengths sufficiently. I don't know. But they do show that McCree is picked a looooooot.

http://www.planetoverwatch.org/11-overwatch-hero-meta-report-the-grand-beta-review

Keep in mind though that people may pick a character more because they believe he's fun to play or because he is perceived to be the best character. Remember when Smash Wii U launched and Little Mac was by far the most played character online? Incidentally, he also had the worst W/L-ratio, as he was perceived to be better than he was.

Regardless, I'm not saying that's the situation here, but I am saying that I personally haven't been seeing him as much as many other characters, and that the number of appearances in game is not necessarily linked to actual character strength.

Fliesen

during my games with some lovely GAFfers yesterday, i realized that - when matched against higher skilled players - my go-to hero Roadhog just doesn't cut it anymore.

Heroes that, on lower level of play, you could simply hook and one-shot, have learnt to properly use their countermeasures (like deflect, flashbang, blink, ice block, ...) and Roadhog's ult is rather shitty and doesn't synergize well with others.

(still gonna play him for funzies, though)

Have gotten a lot better with Pharah though (she's all about playing conservatively, knowing which ledges make great crow's nests)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilXeencBGoU

also, Zenyatta is fantastically fun when defending.
I'm loving this game so much! :O - The netcode is so great (for casual play). We're constantly playing EU+US teams and noone can really tell the difference.

Oh btw, why doesn't the console version have the "rate match" option in the post-game screen?

Kenaras

Keep in mind though that people may pick a character more because they believe he's fun to play or because he is perceived to be the best character. Remember when Smash Wii U launched and Little Mac was by far the most played character online? Incidentally, he also had the worst W/L-ratio, as he was perceived to be better than he was.

Regardless, I'm not saying that's the situation here, but I am saying that I personally haven't been seeing him as much as many other characters, and that the number of appearances in game is not necessarily linked to actual character strength.

Those aren't stats for general usage, they're stats in competitive tournaments.

Are you playing in tournaments?

How would you tone him down without ruining the character though? You could increase the time on the cooldowns, but that'd be more of a nuisance. Reducing his damage doesn't make sense.

I would lower his bullet damage when he uses is alt fire but increase his stun damage. That way his initial burst combo would still be lethal for 200-250hp characters but he would have a harder time vs tankier heroes. Probably something like +25 or so damage on stun but only 50 damage per bullet from 70. I like that he's an anti-tracer/genji/reaper hero, just not that he's an anti-everything at close range hero.

24hr

during my games with some lovely GAFfers yesterday, i realized that - when matched against higher skilled players - my go-to hero Roadhog just doesn't cut it anymore.

Heroes that, on lower level of play, you could simply hook and one-shot, have learnt to properly use their countermeasures (like deflect, flashbang, blink, ice block, ...) and Roadhog's ult is rather shitty and doesn't synergize well with others.

(still gonna play him for funzies, though)

Have gotten a lot better with Pharah though (she's all about playing conservatively, knowing which ledges make great crow's nests)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilXeencBGoU

also, Zenyatta is fantastically fun when defending.
I'm loving this game so much! :O - The netcode is so great (for casual play). We're constantly playing EU+US teams and noone can really tell the difference.

Oh btw, why doesn't the console version have the "rate match" option in the post-game screen?

I wish I could get to grips of Zenyatta. Tried various matches and I just can't contribute to the team at all.

Ken

It's only a 30% boost. It's nice but as Lucio I can usually run a 1.5-2 KDR while still healing. I can also contest payloads / capture points way more effectively than Mercy. Literally all Mercy brings is the team rez, which while amazing, almost hamstrings her from being allowed to do anything else.

Maybe they'll make a 3 star difficulty mercy/Reinhardt in the future.

I would lower his bullet damage when he uses is alt fire but increase his stun damage. That way his initial burst combo would still be lethal for 200-250hp characters but he would have a harder time vs tankier heroes. Probably something like +25 or so damage on stun but only 50 damage per bullet from 70. I like that he's an anti-tracer/genji/reaper hero, just not that he's an anti-everything at close range hero.

That would make sense, but then you're still going to have butthurt offense players who claim that he's too strong as he can instantly kill offense heroes. I think people will always complain. I do agree though that he takes out tanks too easily.

This game is as good on console as on PC right ?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1223805 Pretty much, yeah :)

Fliesen

I wish I could get to grips of Zenyatta. Tried various matches and I just can't contribute to the team at all.

always keep spamming discord orb.

don't forget your ult makes you invulnerable - that's sometimes more valuable than the burst team healing. especially when you're defending a control point.

No thanks, the stun damage is already high enough and good McCrees will just calmly pop you in the head with one shot

Getting back into the fight after a death is also way, way easier as Lucio which probably accounts for the overall better healing stats. Mercy crawls back which is weird for someone with wings compared to gotta go fast Lucio.

Mugenjin

Just got done playing some rounds of arcade brawl with gaffers.

Oh my god that mode is pure insanity and fun until you figure out that Zarya is practically invincible. We ended up scumming it out and going for a 6 Zarya team on numbani, and it was godlike. Overtime lasted five minutes and the payload never even moved.
Unfortunately, the mode lost all of its charm after that, but holy shit it was hilarious while it lasted. My sides are still hurting.

I'm printing this out and mounting it on my wall.

Here is the video of the last 5 min. The game mode seems totally balanced and there are only slight imbalances but I can't quite put my finger on it
:p

-MD-

3YskHgj.png

Whenever I have an ult ready to go I press Z to let my teammates know, I used like 6+ rip-tires that round, he took it as me having a fully charged ult the whole game and not using it.

The ignorance blows me away.

Lupercal

Banned
Coming from someone that plays this game fairly seriously, the more I play this game the more I realize that McCree is just blatantly the best character in the game. The dps role is by far the most competetive role in terms of pick diversity. Almost all of them are very viable depending on the situation. Despite so many strong options you should pretty much always run at least one McCree if not 2. Lucio and Mercy being in every game makes sense because Zen is fairly weak right now and Symmetra being situationally good, so they don't have much competition. There's like 10 great dps characters in this game and yet McCree is almost always a great pick. He's not broken tier but he definitely needs some toning down.

McCree is fine, fits perfectly in his role.
Pharah on the other hand, that ultimately needs some toning down.
Either 10% less damage or less rockets.

3YskHgj.png

Whenever I have an ult ready to go I press Z to let my teammates know, I used like 6+ rip-tires that round, he took it as me having a fully charged ult the whole game and not using it.

The ignorance blows me away.

It's a 'leap to conclusions' map. It has different conclusions you can 'leap' to.

Thanks for the laugh.

I've run into a fair number of Mcree's who'll roam around the path back to the fight just to intercept the stragglers returning. If they don't die together or wait to group up its flashbang-alt fire-run and hide for the next one. Aggravating but hilariously effective.

aye, Pharah gets locked into place and can be shot down within seconds when doing her ult.
Overall, Pharah, to me, seems like one of the most well balanced heroes in the game.

How wide and damaging is the explosion of her rockets? I feel like that may require some tuning. Feels kinda weak to me.

KingBroly

Banned
Installed a new Heatstink/Cooler. Before I was heating the CPU up to 46c. Now it stays at 29c the entire time I play. HOLY.CRAP. More Overwatch for me!

T.O.P

Banned
Yo game i get that you hate me and will never let me have a single rare skin but at least some credits would be nice at some point :(((

Matt Frost

If anything I might even buff her ult. I think it's kinda weak.

Is not weak... is that she screams her ultimate line so loud that even my neighbours hide from it in time. And the visual clues and all that sparks helps enemies as well. Maybe making it less flashy could help.

Are these lists just for people who have checked the site or actually everyone? Kinda shocked to be a top 50 junkrat on PC. I mean I have played a lot but it's still very surprising.

Are these lists just for people who have checked the site or actually everyone? Kinda shocked to be a top 50 junkrat on PC. I mean I have played a lot but it's still very surprising.

Just people who have input their own account name into the box.

And I'm not sure what criteria they're using to judge 'top.'

#19 Soldier 76 and #7 Torbjörn. Gotta just be because of the low number of people using the website lol.

Where are you guys getting these numbers from? I don't see them on the site and I'm curious.

Edit: Found myself at 10 as Genji on the leaderboards... seems feasible as I have played something like 80 games as him?

Fliesen

If anything I might even buff her ult. I think it's kinda weak.

i don't think it's weak. It's the perfect "wait for your team to move in, soar ahead and do some aerial bombardment. it's not meant to cause a total teamwipe, but deal plenty of damage across a bigger area of effect - unless you keep your focus on one target area throughout the whole cast.
After playing Pharah for a few games, you tend to notice that there's almost always some sort of wall / house next to the capture zone that the payload has to circumvent, while pharah can just fly above and unleash her barrage.

CoLaN

#23 Lucio in PC Europe (Samkim), but i would love to play other heroes... Too bad everyone else just wont ever play support characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom