• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you counter reinheart plus bastion plus turrets setup outside of base?

I have seen my team mates do it to others and only thought 'wow, that seems nasty'. I have not had the pleasure of being on the receiving end, and don't really know what I would do if I were.

My team mates did it with one bastion, two bjorn, one reinheart, lucio (stood next to bastion and one bjorn), he would also throw them back into turret radius if they got close.

Bastion and bjorn were healed if they took damage, but protected by reinheart anyway so that made damage dealing difficult. They tried pushing out with reinheart but bastions damage when buffed with mercy stripped his shield in under a second or two, and everyone else went down pretty much instantly.

If someone escaped my team would comically shout 'we've got a runner!' and I would use Genji to chase down and kill them. Wasn't common or difficult most of the time, it tended to be phara who just her jump pack to get really high and lose line of sight quickly, but she tended to get shot in the process so wasn't in a position to live.

They tried to escape with Mei's icewall but it would always get destroyed and because we had a second turret and tjborn, the ones that used it for cover were still getting shot.

What should they have done in this situation? Maybe they were bad at the game but it seemed like a tough spot to be in from my perspective.

A junkrat or two can tear down a reinhardt shield pretty fast, and they should be able to find a vantage that doesn't expose them to fire from any of the bastion or turrets, assumign that rein is shielding all of them. If a mccree can get close, his flashbang, thrown over the shield, should stun the rein and the bastion. Failing all that, you can just put snipers outside of range of the turrets with a lucio to heal and hammer on that shield until it goes down. It's got a lot of health, but under concentrated fire, it goes down pretty quick.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If you're being camped outside of spawn, Pharah and Junkrat are the best formation disruptors.

I would say the really difficult part about countering 3x Bastion/Torbjorns + Reinhardt is that you need 3 people on your team taking them out at the same time. It's trivial to destroy any one Bastion, but it's another story when, after destroying one Bastion and advancing, you're faced with another Bastion, and/or a Turret.

Hanamura B is very guilty of this effect because of the layout. It's so easy for Defense to set up an impregnable fortress there. The disparity comes from the fact that 3 Bastions/Torbjorns doing what they want to do will naturally create the aforementioned impregnable defense whereas 3 Pharahs doing what they want to do won't counter the former unless they coordinate.

Should have had a Lucio speed boost to get out w/Tracer and Soldier

Eh the had a Lucio with speed boost and he was just getting shot, didn't think about soldier. Does soldier go fast enough (with speedboost) that turrets don't track him?

I guess it would take a coordinated team, as even if one of them got away as I say, I would kill them with Genji, which didn't tend to be difficult in itself.

If you're being camped outside of spawn, Pharah and Junkrat are the best formation disruptors.

Pharah was just dying and we were on high ground so Junkrat wasn't especially useful either. What is Phara expected to do to get out alive? Her rockets did not dent Reinhearts shields.

I think using Mei's icewall to approach coupled with speed boost and rushing in different directions might be the best bet but I still think half of them are likely to die on the way out. It seems the level of play in quick match is pretty low. I lose a decent portion of my games I suppose, but it seems like when we actually talk to each other and coordinate any kind of strategy it pretty much falls apart for the opposing team.

How do you counter reinheart plus bastion plus turrets setup outside of base?

I have seen my team mates do it to others and only thought 'wow, that seems nasty'. I have not had the pleasure of being on the receiving end, and don't really know what I would do if I were.

My team mates did it with one bastion, two bjorn, one reinheart, lucio (stood next to bastion and one bjorn), he would also throw them back into turret radius if they got close.

Bastion and bjorn were healed if they took damage, but protected by reinheart anyway so that made damage dealing difficult. They tried pushing out with reinheart but bastions damage when buffed with mercy stripped his shield in under a second or two, and everyone else went down pretty much instantly.

If someone escaped my team would comically shout 'we've got a runner!' and I would use Genji to chase down and kill them. Wasn't common or difficult most of the time, it tended to be phara who just her jump pack to get really high and lose line of sight quickly, but she tended to get shot in the process so wasn't in a position to live.

They tried to escape with Mei's icewall but it would always get destroyed and because we had a second turret and tjborn, the ones that used it for cover were still getting shot.

What should they have done in this situation? Maybe they were bad at the game but it seemed like a tough spot to be in from my perspective.
If Bastion is protected by a Reinhardt, that's difficult because it renders a Roadhog (normally good against Bastion) ineffective.

How about a team comp of something like Genji, Reinhardt, Mei, Pharah, Lucio and Junkrat?

kiguel182

Pharah is my go to hero when there are a lot of turrets stopping us from progressing. She is a great hero to disrupt those mounted defences.

Yes, that's the reason I'm not hitting them.

Yeah... let's go with that

I'd love to tell you how many times tonight I missed my Roadhog bodyshots on Numbani attack, but I can't. Because I can't count that high.

Sometimes my widowmaker shit comes together.

Sometimes it reaaaally doesn't.

Teach me your ways.

I push the objective and drop shields wherever the my teammates are to provide cover. I do a lot of large jumps to get behind enemies and start zapping them in the back. The jump is great when you want to get to objectives, run away from enemies and sometimes confusing them. I've had a couple moments where a well aimed jump made the enemy lost track of me. Jump is also good for easily jumping up to sniper spots and killing Widows. Ults seems to come really easy too given how in your face I try to get when fighting. Only issue I have is losing track of where anything is when I ult.

Eh the had a Lucio with speed boost and he was just getting shot, didn't think about soldier. Does soldier go fast enough (with speedboost) that turrets don't track him?

I guess it would take a coordinated team, as even if one of them got away as I say, I would kill them with Genji, which didn't tend to be difficult in itself.

If they had a Junkrat, they could have angle some shots out of the door to help some, had a Rein or two out front to provide cover for runners.

Was it Route 66?

If Bastion is protected by a Reinhardt, that's difficult because it renders a Roadhog (normally good against Bastion) ineffective.

How about a team comp of something like Genji, Reinhardt, Mei, Pharah, Lucio and Junkrat?

You want to add a Sniper in there, Reinhardt can only ever shield in one direction, while you have people distracting the front, shoot Bastion in the back. You need to flank from 2 sides at once.

You want to add a Sniper in there, Reinhardt can only ever shield in one direction, while you have people distracting the front, shoot Bastion in the back. You need to flank from 2 sides at once.
That's true. I was actually thinking that Winston wouldn't necessarily be an awful choice to disrupt and draw fire, but a sniper would probably be a better replacement. A decent sniper instead of Pharah might actually work better.

I'd love to tell you how many times tonight I missed my Roadhog bodyshots on Numbani attack, but I can't. Because I can't count that high.

Sometimes my widowmaker shit comes together.

Sometimes it reaaaally doesn't.

Come back to me when you miss Reinhardt's shield.

Not because I've done it. I just want to laugh at you.

Zaventem

Speaking of the dwarf, this happened not to long ago, like i don't know what set it off but it was extremely funny seeing them try to counter pick.

Overwatch_Origins_Edition_20160527012030.png

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
HMl20fd.jpg

This was easily the most insane match I've had. Felt like an infinite overtime at 99% vs 99% on the second round that eventually turned into a win for our team, though we didn't pull off the final round.

I've barely played Tracer so far but holy hell that was fun.

Keasar

What is a good counter to Roadhog? I find myself often having to deal with him in enclosed spaces with no real option to engage from far away. Is he the prime close-quarter fighter or is there someone who could beat him at that?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What is a good counter to Roadhog? I find myself often having to deal with him in enclosed spaces with no real option to engage from far away. Is he the prime close-quarter fighter or is there someone who could beat him at that?

McCree, maybe Reaper or Mei.

The fight really comes down to whether or not you can dodge the hook.

Running circles around him with Tor's shotgun is fun! Not the best choice for sure, but that's what I do a lot.

24hr

I push the objective and drop shields wherever the my teammates are to provide cover. I do a lot of large jumps to get behind enemies and start zapping them in the back. The jump is great when you want to get to objectives, run away from enemies and sometimes confusing them. I've had a couple moments where a well aimed jump made the enemy lost track of me. Jump is also good for easily jumping up to sniper spots and killing Widows. Ults seems to come really easy too given how in your face I try to get when fighting. Only issue I have is losing track of where anything is when I ult.

I just don't utilise his ult efficiently. Ah well, practice makes perfect!

NeoN1

Neo Member
I had a perfect game the other day with Roadhog :)

a75ec12559.jpg

He is SO MUCH FUN! At first I didn't like him and rarely played him, but when I fond out about how fun hooking people was... it has become my favorite tank <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom