• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So how long do we think before Mcree's stun gets nerfed?

Because of the things that look immediately obvious that they need a change, that looks like number one.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I find it often extremely difficult to get close to him to begin with, but I'll give these a shot next time my team has a hard time with him.

I'd put 76 over any of those. I mean if you get hooked you're fucked, but that's the case with any of those listed heroes. His range, headshot daamge(And Roadhog's big head) as well as Roadhog's big body makes him an easy target for soldiers m2

ramyeon

Tracer finally clicked with me. And it feels so fucking good.

Had a round where I got 22 eliminations with her, that might not sound much... but I'm averaging about 9 usually. And then this
4pEIYRD.png
This might not look like much, but that's because the round was literally over in what felt like just over a minute. It was an Attack round in Hanamura where we had to capture two areas. I zipped around the side route, taking out an unaware Torbjorn from behind and then took out the defending Reichardt as he freaked out because he couldn't hit me.

Claimed the objective area before any of my teammates even got in there, taking out a Hanzo who leaped in to try and take me out in the process. Second spot was in the main building. I teleported across the huge gap, zipped in to the objective area, took out a Solider 76 as he was firing at my team mates entering from the main entrance. Got the fuck out as their whole team came down on me, but then zipped back up from around the side and threw a sticky bomb on their Bastion. Took one other guy out in the mayhem and then before I knew it Victory flashed across the screen.

Didn't get Play of the Game (A Junkrat firing pot shots into an objective area in the previous round got that...) and didn't get any votes on the winning screen for getting 4 gold medals either :/

(If you can't tell the adrenaline is still rushing... it was such a good round).

Because of the things that look immediately obvious that they need a change, that looks like number one.

Nope, it doesn't. Nerfing it would just ruin his character.

I'd say the game is rather well balanced. There's a counter for everything. Everyone keeps calling characters OP, and rookies are calling McCree and bastion OP even though they have weaknesses like everyone else, but if everyone is OP, then is there anyone truly OP?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about to give into the hype and take the plunge. The game looks way too fun to pass up.

Is anyone else here playing on the Asia server(s)? I'm based in Tokyo and would love to party up with some Gaffers some time.

I'd say the game is rather well balanced. There's a counter for everything. Everyone keeps calling characters OP, and rookies are calling McCree and bastion OP even though they have weaknesses like everyone else, but if everyone is OP, then is there anyone truly OP?

I don't think it's just new players saying that McCree is OP. He's also quite popular in competitive play as well.

Personally, I've never had any particular issue with him, but that's just me.

I'd put 76 over any of those. I mean if you get hooked you're fucked, but that's the case with any of those listed heroes. His range, headshot daamge(And Roadhog's big head) as well as Roadhog's big body makes him an easy target for soldiers m2

Mei can get hooked and survive, and has plenty of tools at her disposal to deal with Roadhog. Her freeze I believe can also interrupt his heal (if done early enough), making it easier to dispatch him if you've already done damage. She's not a hard counter by any means, but Mei is one of the better anti-Tank characters in the game.

76 or Reaper are solid choices too.

I don't think it's just new players saying that McCree is OP. He's also quite popular in competitive play as well.

Personally, I've never had any particular issue with him, but that's just me.

?

Your first two sentences don't make sense together. Yeah, he's popular in the competitive play, but that doesn't mean they think he's OP. I use him a lot myself.

Mei can get hooked and survive, and has plenty of tools at her disposal to deal with Roadhog. Her freeze I believe can also interrupt his heal (if done early enough), making it easier to dispatch him if you've already done damage. She's not a hard counter by any means, but Mei is one of the better anti-Tank characters in the game.

76 or Reaper are solid choices too.

Lucio's alt attack works wonders against Roadhog.

Mcree's only role is being a 1v1 fighter and anti-flanker, he sucks at doing anything else, he is slow, has literally no long range capabilities, taking away the tool he is meant to use would just making him useless. He is fine, powerful but fine.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

McRees 1 2 combo with the stun, fan the hammer and roll fan the hammer isn't a 'rookie problem'
. I use him a lot myself.

That's obvious

kiguel182

I like Mcgree but I don't feel he is that much better than anyone. He is a fun character to play. I'm getting better with him too which is great.

And I still suck at using his ult.

?

Your first two sentences don't make sense together. Yeah, he's popular in the competitive play, but that doesn't mean they think he's OP. I use him a lot myself.

If McCree is picked overwhelmingly over almost every other character in competitive play it suggests that he is either more powerful or more universally useful (as in he has fewer weaknesses.) Since character power is an entirely relative thing, doesn't that suggest he might just be a bit too strong?

McRees 1 2 combo with the stun, fan the hammer and roll fan the hammer isn't a 'rookie problem'

That's obvious

Haha, I love butthurt players.

Look, there are countless counterpicks to him. Every character is good. Everyone has their strengths. McCree is supposed to be a killer on 1v1 fights. That's why he's an offensive character. The simple truth is: you're just bad.

If McCree is picked overwhelmingly over almost every other character in competitive play it suggests that he is either more powerful or more universally useful (as in he has fewer weaknesses.) Since character power is an entirely relative thing, doesn't that suggest he might just be a bit too strong?

He isn't picked "overwhelmingly" though. I see him far less often than, say, Genji, Hanzo or Tracer.

Guru-Guru

Banned
My 6 stack just got crushed 2 times in a row by another 6 stack that was doing some ridiculous strategies. When they were attacking all 6 of them went as D.Va. They perfectly timed their self-destructs one after another so that were constantly had to move out of the area, which allowed them to push the payload. The next round all 6 of them played on defense as Torbjorn and we got wrecked so hard.

I've been maining Lucio and Mercy because fuck everyone else who won't ever play support (not that I mind since I tend to play healers). But I really wish they'd allow Mercy to have a more active play style. Lucio is a fantastic FPS healer experience. If Mercy didn't have her red ultimate I'd almost call her a bad pick in most situations. She needs to be able to damage deal from time to time. I'd love if her heal beam put a heal over time or something to allow me to do that. She also should have one or two more flight options. Something like a Pharah air boost.

Being tethered to people all the time isn't exciting and I find I actually do more healing as Lucio. Usually 1-2k more.

Coming from someone that plays this game fairly seriously, the more I play this game the more I realize that McCree is just blatantly the best character in the game. The dps role is by far the most competetive role in terms of pick diversity. Almost all of them are very viable depending on the situation. Despite so many strong options you should pretty much always run at least one McCree if not 2. Lucio and Mercy being in every game makes sense because Zen is fairly weak right now and Symmetra being situationally good, so they don't have much competition. There's like 10 great dps characters in this game and yet McCree is almost always a great pick. He's not broken tier but he definitely needs some toning down.

Ken

I've been maining Lucio and Mercy because fuck everyone else who won't ever play support (not that I mind since I tend to play healers). But I really wish they'd allow Mercy to have a more active play style. Lucio is a fantastic FPS healer experience. If Mercy didn't have her red ultimate I'd almost call her a bad pick in most situations. She needs to be able to damage deal from time to time. I'd love if her heal beam put a heal over time or something to allow me to do that. She also should have one or two more flight options. Something like a Pharah air boost.

Being tethered to people all the time isn't exciting.

Idk, I'm content with her DPS contribution being the blue beam.

Coming from someone that plays this game fairly seriously, the more I play this game the more I realize that McCree is just blatantly the best character in the game. The dps role is by far the most competetive role in terms of pick diversity. Almost all of them are very viable depending on the situation. Despite so many strong options you should pretty much always run at least one McCree if not 2. Lucio and Mercy being in every game makes sense because Zen is fairly weak right now and Symmetra being situationally good, so they don't have much competition. There's like 10 great dps characters in this game and yet McCree is almost always a great pick. He's not broken tier but he definitely needs some toning down.

How would you tone him down without ruining the character though? You could increase the time on the cooldowns, but that'd be more of a nuisance. Reducing his damage doesn't make sense.

He isn't picked "overwhelmingly" though. I see him far less often than, say, Genji, Hanzo or Tracer.

If we're referencing competitive play, then the stats that people
usually I think?
quote are from these graphs from the last part of beta. They may be wrong. They may represent an immature pro scene that hasn't explored McCree's weaknesses or other characters strengths sufficiently. I don't know. But they do show that McCree is picked a looooooot.

http://www.planetoverwatch.org/11-overwatch-hero-meta-report-the-grand-beta-review

fwiw, notice that 'also op' bastion and 'super popular' hanzo occupy spots near the bottom.

Ken

Blue Beam uptime is only substantial if your team isn't taking damage. Once shit hits the fan you're Yellow Beam for almost all of it.

Sure, but if you have like a s76 pushing behind Reinhardt barrier that's pretty good blue beam opportunity.

Or anyone throwing out an ult sometimes it might be worth boosting that maybe? Idk

I only heal when no one picks healer though so shrug

Matt Frost

Coming from someone that plays this game fairly seriously, the more I play this game the more I realize that McCree is just blatantly the best character in the game. The dps role is by far the most competitive role in terms of pick diversity. Almost all of them are very viable depending on the situation. Despite so many strong options you should pretty much always run at least one McCree if not 2. Lucio and Mercy being in every game makes sense because Zen is fairly weak right now and Symmetra being situationally good, so they don't have much competition. There's like 10 great dps characters in this game and yet McCree is almost always a great pick. He's not broken tier but he definitely needs some toning down.

After the first couple of games me and my friends had this conclusion: one of us need to learn to play with McGree. Six people had the same conclusion. He is definitely OP. Need to nerf his damage output a bit.

Look, there are countless counterpicks to him. Every character is good. Everyone has their strengths. McCree is supposed to be a killer on 1v1 fights. That's why he's an offensive character. The simple truth is: you're just bad.

In competitive play he absolutely is picked overwhelmingly, we have stats for that - http://www.planetoverwatch.org/11-overwatch-hero-meta-report-the-grand-beta-review

He's the second most picked character in the game in competitive games, behind only Lucio due to how ridiculously good Dual Lucio is on King of the Hill maps.

Practically all of McCree's weaknesses disappear when he is on defense, his mobility isn't an issue when you have to come to McCree to attack an objective. On offense he has to work harder, but his risk/reward is so much higher than all the other DPS, excluding Tracer on King of the Hill maps, that it's worth it.

E: I do enjoy that for all the complaining people do about Mei, she is literally dead last on character picks. Her utility doesn't mean shit when McCree instantly kills her everytime she pops her head out.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

If we're referencing competitive play, then the stats that people
usually I think?
quote are from these graphs from the last part of beta. They may be wrong. They may represent an immature pro scene that hasn't explored McCree's weaknesses or other characters strengths sufficiently. I don't know. But they do show that McCree is picked a looooooot.

http://www.planetoverwatch.org/11-overwatch-hero-meta-report-the-grand-beta-review

fwiw, notice that 'also op' bastion and 'super popular' hanzo occupy spots near the bottom.

In competitive play he absolutely is picked overwhelmingly, we have stats for that - http://www.planetoverwatch.org/11-overwatch-hero-meta-report-the-grand-beta-review

He's the second most picked character in the game in competitive games, behind only Lucio due to how ridiculously good Dual Lucio is on King of the Hill maps.

Practically all of McCree's weaknesses disappear when he is on defense, his mobility isn't an issue when you have to come to McCree to attack an objective. On offense he has to work harder, but his risk/reward is so much higher than all the other DPS, excluding Tracer on King of the Hill maps, that it's worth it.
Sounds like you're just bad and rely an on overpowered character, OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom