• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah you need to leave a lot for this to kick in, I had it in beta when I was having some tech issues. It's based on your last 20 games, if you hit the threshold you get -75% XP until you go above it again, it doesn't take long. Honestly the penalty is far too lenient, one change I'd make is that the person who left shouldn't be able to queue for a match until the one he left is over, why should they be able to join a fresh game while the people they left have to struggle a man down.

I've had people rage quit on me when I'm playing Junkrat or Torbjorn on a map with nasty chokepoints. But people on defense also tend to camp spawn rooms before the match starts, so I don't really feel bad.

I do think Mei needs a bit of a buff. Who is she actually a threat too? Winston maybe? Many heroes just out-range her and close range damage dealers out damage her by a lot. She can't harass like Tracer can because her mobility is iffy.

She has some interesting utility abilities for area control but those are easy to misuse as well as use.

Edit: I should specify I never play as her, only with/against her. I'm rarely impressed/afraid.

Rad-

Nah, dude. Pharah is pretty bad if the enemy team is watching for her. Mei doesn't do anything that Winston or Symmetra or McCree can't do better. Genji, I don't play him, but I really haven't ever had a problem with him in games. He's good at clearing points with his ult, but that's about it. Any other time I'm happy to see him. Roadhog needs a better ult. It's not the worst, but it is extremely situational. I'd like to see its uses broadened.

I think Pharah's fine the way she is. IIRC she used to have much faster missile rate of fire and more flying time but she got nerfed.

pigeon

Banned
???

I don't understand these comparisons

Mei, Winston, and Symmetra are three of the four characters (pretty sure Zarya should also be included) who fire beams rather than projectiles or bullets meaning they penetrate shields and deflections.

McCree fills Mei's role of close range CC and kill.

I don't really agree with the analysis, but I'm pretty sure that's where he's coming from. I think he's underestimating Mei's utility, though.

There's no way Torb needs a nerf. People just need to nut up and play tanks.

Uthred

I think I'm finally starting to really get how to make the most of Zarya, had some really good rounds with her today, one where I didn't even die. Still haven't gotten POTG with her, but that doesn't seem to happen too often with her anyway. I'm not sure I'm big fan of her ult, though. It doesn't seem to do much.

It's really good in combination with other players, or even better others players big damage ults.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Mei is tough to play effectively. She's good against people who aren't paying attention / don't know how to deal with her / are bad. Also she needs a team around her to do anything.

LiK

My only complaint with the game is why defenders can literally travel all the way to the spawn point of the attackers so they can set up defenses all over the place.

I do think Mei needs a bit of a buff. Who is she actually a threat too? Winston maybe? Many heroes just out-range her and close range damage dealers out damage her by a lot. She can't harass like Tracer can because her mobility is iffy.

She has some interesting utility abilities for area control but those are easy to misuse as well as use.

Edit: I should specify I never play as her, only with/against her. I'm rarely impressed/afraid.
That's why she's rated as three stars for difficulty. She isn't always useful in every situation or map but on the right hand she's super valuable.

styl3s

At least Torb does. But any time someone mentions that, the "pros" come in and talk about how he's "bottom tier in tournaments" and "git gud" and other bullshit like that.
Blizzard, please don't listen to people like this and ruin the game.

Torb doesn't need a nerf, you just need to learn your counters.

mbpm1

My only complaint with the game is why defenders can literally travel all the way to the spawn point of the attackers so they can set up defenses all over the place.

Spawn killed a reaper as he left the entrance as McCree and I have no shame for it.

Spinluck

Honestly, the one thing that really annoys me so far is how large the vertical range is on Junkrat's tire.

Why is it that Junkrat gets all of that range on his ult, and yet Tracer's is absolutely shit tier...

Does she have the worst ult in the game? Because it's up there.

Grisby

Game is addicting as hell.
These loot boxes are killin me. For the past like 12 levels I have gotten nothing but straight trash.

After watching GB open up 50 of them and get like 5 oranges, it makes me wonder if buying them really does increase your odds at getting the better looking skins. Cause right now, all I seem to get are duplicates and sprays.
Amen brother. If I can put my tinfoil hat on for a sec, I've been wondering if Blizz can calculate who your most used heroes are and then give you shit for the ones you don't use.

packy34

This is absolutely necessary, especially for payload. Attackers would almost certainly win every round if they could get on it immediately with the entire team out of the gate.

Xeteh

Mei, Winston, and Symmetra are three of the four characters (pretty sure Zarya should also be included) who fire beams rather than projectiles or bullets meaning they penetrate shields and deflections.

Neither Mei or Zarya's attacks go through shields though they can't be deflected.

Kalentan

You also need to understand that just because characters have counters, that it means they're in a fine position. Just cause a character has a counter, doesn't mean that person playing their counter will win every time.

Other than Symmetra (Who I think needs a rework), I think most of the cast is actually in fairly decent places as they are now.

I think I'm finally starting to really get how to make the most of Zarya, had some really good rounds with her today, one where I didn't even die. Still haven't gotten POTG with her, but that doesn't seem to happen too often with her anyway. I'm not sure I'm big fan of her ult, though. It doesn't seem to do much.

Zarya's not really built to get potg, more of an enabler for others to get it. Her Ult is fantastic if used in the right place at the right time.

packy34

Here come the "git gud" comments again.

It's not fun to have to switch to 3 widowmakers to deal with defenders using 3 or more torbs.

The game should be balanced for fun first, pro play second.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Also I wish D.VA's skins didn't suck. Her original is the best, the legendary ones just remove the cool technerd thing she has going on.

MGrant

???

I don't understand these comparisons

What I mean is, Mei is a close-range, anti-flanking fighter that defends the point and stops light or slow targets like Genji, D. Va, Zenyatta, and Mercy. She uses her icicles to do decent damage at mid-long range. Her ice walls funnel and divide the enemy team and screw with their line of sight. She loses to snipers, Pharah, and Reaper almost guaranteed, and has no answer for Tracer, who can shut her down entirely if the team doesn't have someone to handle Tracer.

McCree can do the close range fighting better and takes down a wider variety of targets, AND his left click is about on-par with the icicle. Winston takes down fast characters like Genji and Tracer much more easily, is a great counter to Reaper, can jump up in snipers' faces, and can disrupt the enemy team even more than Mei can if he's doing his job right. I'd rather have a good Winston or McCree on my team than a good Mei, just for versatility.

Zemm

Calling for Mei buffs

A Mei in capable hands is capable of dominating a game. 3:43 into this Vod.

https://www.twitch.tv/a_seagull/v/68917075

Uthred

Why is it that Junkrat gets all of that range on his ult, and yet Tracer's is absolutely shit tier...

Does she have the worst ult in the game? Because it's up there.

Possibly, its quite situational, but the game isnt balanced around comparing ability X to ability Y in isolation, you need to take a more holistic view of a character when talking about balance.

hydruxo

Mei is tough to play effectively. She's good against people who aren't paying attention / don't know how to deal with her / are bad. Also she needs a team around her to do anything.

I actually find her to be pretty easy to use. I don't know that I've ever had a bad game with her if I use her on defense. She has a lot of tools that you can take advantage of in just about any situation.

LiK

This is absolutely necessary, especially for payload. Attackers would almost certainly win every round if they could get on it immediately with the entire team out of the gate.

It's just bizarre to me. Is this how TF2 plays as well cuz I barely played that.

mbpm1

Here come the "git gud" comments again.

It's not fun to have to switch to 3 widowmakers to deal with defenders using 3 or more torbs.

The game should be balanced for fun first, pro play second.

Having fun is playing smart tho.

You want people to win without having to think about the game?

RemiLP

Whats your thoughts on this on ps4? Still good? Do you think it will have a good stable player base for a long time?

And how is that competetive mode? do you move up or down in ranks based on skill alone?

oroboros

I play Mei a lot, and she's really good at a choke point against nearly everyone. I feel like she counters Genji, Lucio, & Winston pretty well.

_Legacy_

Woah, I'm #56 Junkrat on Master Overwatch (XB1 - Global). He's my favourite pick for defence when we have been pushed back to the final checkpoint.

LiK

Whats your thoughts on this on ps4? Still good? Do you think it will have a good stable player base for a long time?

And how is that competetive mode? do you move up or down in ranks based on skill alone?

Played like 8 hours last night. So yea, still good. Altho playing with randoms who don't go for the objectives can be extremely annoying.

Xeteh

Calling for Mei buffs

A Mei in capable hands is capable of dominating a game. 3:43 into this Vod.

https://www.twitch.tv/a_seagull/v/68917075

He does that with every hero.

I don't think Mei needs buffs but people need to stop acting like she's so insanely strong and cannot be beaten.

I play Mei a lot, and she's really good at a choke point against nearly everyone. I feel like she counters Genji, Lucio, & Winston pretty well.

Lucio maybe but Genji and Winston both have outs, Winston's shield blocks your freeze and he can jump out. Genji has his dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom