• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Everyone was Diamond or high Plat, but one of our teammates was duoing with a Gold. We are getting stomped and this Gold was noticeably not helping at all. The guy ask if one of the healers could switch because the Gold is a Mercy main…

Like fucking really. I’m like whatever and I switched to D.Va so he could play Mercy. He still fucking sucked. After the game I look at the Gold’s stats, FUCKING 645 last season.

boosted mercy main in the making. RIP

MKIL65

My first comp match yesterday, after not having played for 2 weeks...

Some guy that kept disconnecting and connecting, disconnecting and connecting, disconnecting and connecting, disconnecting and connecting AND THEN FINALLY DISCONNECTED.

It's like it was intentionally done. Just so we could suffer.

Sorry, her melee, where she bonks you on the head.

lmao

anyway the fact that they even thought of an ability that transports you away from the playable space entirely and can teleport you from spawn to point and cause damage and knockback in a mei-radius when you get there this long after release (and then also put it in the ptr) is arguably more worrying than them ruining hog completely or them thinking orisa corner camping is engaging or jeff's dumbass explanation for torb and sym or rein's hammer lag that still isn't fixed (on consoles at least)

My first comp match yesterday, after not having played for 2 weeks...

Some guy that kept disconnecting and connecting, disconnecting and connecting, disconnecting and connecting, disconnecting and connecting AND THEN FINALLY DISCONNECTED.

It's like it was intentionally done. Just so we could suffer.

He probably had an unstable connection.

Mr Git

I actually have no problem with 'Hog or Hanzo, or anyone really. Balance away, Blizz. Doomfist looks like a high-skill level hero, so I'm not worried yet.

I moved L2 to jump on everyone also, but Lucio is the one character who changed completely in my eyes once the change was done. Maybe changing DVa's bonk to R1? Yeah, probably not.

I was wondering what other people had rebound jump to for characters like Lucio. I've tried having it as L3 and it's awkward but the free spot on Tracer's L2 made me think of doing that.

I tried playing 2 matches last night after not playing since the Roadhog nerf.

First match I pick Roadhog and people yell at me. I get gold elims and damage, but we lose horribly because our only healer is Zenyatta, and 3 DPS.

Second match I pick D.va because I felt like my Roadhog was low impact last match (dead as fuck as a character), and I get gold eliminations again while a 3-man complains about how it's "3v6" and the rest of their team sucks.

I think I'm good for now.

nutella

Neo Member
I skipped Season 4 due to an insane work schedule earlier this year and recently jumped in to play Season 5. This season is easily the most frustrating to date.

1. I finished S3 at 4200 SR and couldn't play with my platinum SR girlfriend. So I bought a second account, leveled up, and did my placement matches with the gf. I got put in low diamond with her at the end. Later my gf quit the game so I decided to try to take this account solo queue up to GM. Holy shit is the playerbase more frustrating than I remember. Everything was smooth until around 3400, winning 3/4 of my matches and doing some serious carry. Then the following happened back-to-back:

Game 1: deranker playing Torb, building lvl 1 turret outside spawn and proceeding to run into traffic/jump off Oasis entire match.
Game 2: 3500 SR Mercy main suddenly decides it's time to learn DPS roles, spends entire match fumbling around as Genji getting 0 kills.
Game 3: Ana "dps only" main in game, spends entire match at range shooting the enemy, leaving us to run 3 heal supports since only 2 were actually healing.

~60 SR lost right there. Granted, I think the Game 2 scenario presents a major flaw in OW's design that needs to be addressed somehow. How do we learn new heroes without punishing our team? QP is not a substitute for comp.

2. Winston/Dva meta stripped all fun from playing S76 and McCree, and to some extent Ana. Yes, they can still be effective, but I'm not having any fun playing them with the bubbles and DM everywhere.

JHall

Everyone was Diamond or high Plat, but one of our teammates was duoing with a Gold. We are getting stomped and this Gold was noticeably not helping at all. The guy ask if one of the healers could switch because the Gold is a Mercy main…

Like fucking really. I’m like whatever and I switched to D.Va so he could play Mercy. He still fucking sucked. After the game I look at the Gold’s stats, FUCKING 645 last season.

Season 4 and 5 in a nut shell right here. Why put the time into the game to get better when you can just one trick Mercy and be boosted.

I skipped Season 4 due to an insane work schedule earlier this year and recently jumped in to play Season 5. This season is easily the most frustrating to date.

1. I finished S3 at 4200 SR and couldn't play with my platinum SR girlfriend. So I bought a second account, leveled up, and did my placement matches with the gf. I got put in low diamond with her at the end. Later my gf quit the game so I decided to try to take this account solo queue up to GM. Holy shit is the playerbase more frustrating than I remember. Everything was smooth until around 3400, winning 3/4 of my matches and doing some serious carry. Then the following happened back-to-back:

Game 1: deranker playing Torb, building lvl 1 turret outside spawn and proceeding to run into traffic/jump off Oasis entire match.
Game 2: 3500 SR Mercy main suddenly decides it's time to learn DPS roles, spends entire match fumbling around as Genji getting 0 kills.
Game 3: Ana "dps only" main in game, spends entire match at range shooting the enemy, leaving us to run 3 heal supports since only 2 were actually healing.

~60 SR lost right there. Granted, I think the Game 2 scenario presents a major flaw in OW's design that needs to be addressed somehow. How do we learn new heroes without punishing our team? QP is not a substitute for comp.

2. Winston/Dva meta stripped all fun from playing S76 and McCree, and to some extent Ana. Yes, they can still be effective, but I'm not having any fun playing them with the bubbles and DM everywhere.

The only thing I can think of to address point 2 is to give separate SR per character...and I think that would be an abomination.

Trey

The only thing I can think of to address point 2 is to give separate SR per character...and I think that would be an abomination.

Beyond an abomination. It would fundamentally break matchmaking and the entire point of Overwatch and switching characters.

One tricks are the lesser evil by far.

Kysen

I wish we could buy additional comp slots on our accounts. I don't want to have to buy a 3rd copy of OW with a throwaway account just to learn Genji/Tracer. This would help the smurf issue tremendously as blizzard would know 100% of the info of your other slots. So you would never have extremely unbalanced matches.

But it would stop stuff like this happening
g4ECvbn.png
I went 2-8 placements and then continued my Sombra only run. Obviously I was playing her wrong (communication is required) but putting me at my normal MMR while trying to learn just doesn't work. Also the amount of abuse you get for playing off meta was extreme. I have never been abused that much in an online game ever.

Since then I have recovered my SR but it sucks I can't try stuff out without the game turning into hard mode.

Baleoce

It irks me when people call you rude for attacking them during a skirmish lol.. Half of the people in there seem to just want to roleplay or something.

Veelk

Banned
I just hope blizzard knows that Doomfist is going to be literally unplayable if he doesn't have some variation of "This...is my BOOMSTICK". "This...is my BOOMFIST" would work, for example.

Whoever complains about character picks in QP should be shot out of a cannon.

What I find most hilarious are the ones that pick healer at the spawn and then after they are killed or when the team fails to cap the objective in the first push or something they start spamming "thanks" and switch to a troll pick like they are saying "now I'm throwing"... it´s QP lol

Veelk

Banned
Whoever complains about character picks in QP should be shot out of a cannon.
I get what your saying, but at the same time, people not caring about winning the game at all means a lot of games are too one-sided to be fun or useful for anyone.

I am so goddamn sick of stupid games where my team (and it is ALWAYS my team) goes without a healer while the enemy team does basic, sensible shit.

The game straight up punishes you for wanting to try other characters.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It's becoming more and more common, too. Fuck those people.
Just about every other game now.
What I find most hilarious are the ones that pick healer at the spawn and then after they are killed or when the team fails to cap the objective in the first push or something they start spamming "thanks" and switch to a troll pick like they are saying "now I'm throwing"... it´s QP lol
Haven't seen that, but have seen people blame the healers for a loss and it's like dude count your blessings.
I get what your saying, but at the same time, people not caring about winning the game at all means a lot of games are too one-sided to be fun or useful for anyone.

I am so goddamn sick of stupid games where my team (and it is ALWAYS my team) goes without a healer while the enemy team does basic, sensible shit.

The game straight up punishes you for wanting to try other characters.
I mean I certainly play to win, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to fill in QP when people will tell you to eat shit and blame you for the loss anyway.

Just opened 70 loot boxes. So many duplicates. Seemingly every box had at least 2 dupes, many had 4. I got 3 new legendary skins and 3 dupe legendary skins. All the dupes totaled up to around 4800 credits.

Veelk

Banned
I mean I certainly play to win, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to fill in QP when people will tell you to eat shit and blame you for the loss anyway.

Yeah, but at the same time, a team of Junkrat, Widow, Sombra, Bastion, Genji, and torb on attack against a normal teamcomp, the game is being thrown out even when everyone is trying to win. Any one of those characters could fit into a normal team comp, but all together, it's a losing game.

Owzers

I don't enjoy watching overwatch tournaments, dive vs dive, Sombra vs Sombra, it's a bore. Though I'm trying to remember when I didn't find them boring...

I don't enjoy watching overwatch tournaments, dive vs dive, Sombra vs Sombra, it's a bore. Though I'm trying to remember when I didn't find them boring...

I always try to watch but end up tuning out after a round or two. It's really hard to follow. I also don't like how supports never get any camera time.

Veelk

Banned
I officially give up on quickplay.

My SR rate will just have to suffer when I decide to go against Meta conventions or practice a character I barely have any time on.

Fake edit: As I wrote out this post, I got into a comp game where I had an attack Torb on Eichenwalde and on the opposing team someone who was clearly using a mouse. Awesome.

3200 SR match. Person named BattleMercy plays Ana, walks off cliff all first round, leaves 2nd round, loss.

??????

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

Why do I keep playing on the weekend?

The world may never know. Time to drink

i probably should have switched with the ana since he says he does better as zen.

i figured when i did 14K healing and got gold as Zen. the draw on anubis should have been a win. RIP

rulerk1

Just won a Koth comp match with a Bastion main, Hanzo, Zaria, Sombra, and Reaper(I was Zen) what is this game
3200 SR match. Person named BattleMercy plays Ana, walks off cliff all first round, leaves 2nd round, loss.

??????

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

Why do I keep playing on the weekend?

The world may never know. Time to drink

back in my gold days i had a dude throw a match because he was angry our widow kept sniping him last game. It was his "revenge". This was my first clue at college kids being asshats

Just watched a Sombra on my team react and hack a Lucio mid ult which saved the point and the match for us.

Words cannot describe how hype I got in that moment.

Veelk

Banned
Anyone else really missing the Halo 3 theater mode right about now?

I just had a match where a Lucio was ending up in the strangest places. I never had a lucio just wallride up above the shrine in Hanamura. I would love to see what that player did while I was on the ground taking care of other stuff, since my recording didn't catch any of what he did.

It would be great for analyzing plays too.

I just had a match where a Lucio was ending up in the strangest places. I never had a lucio just wallride up above the shrine in Hanamura. I would love to see what that player did while I was on the ground taking care of other stuff, since my recording didn't catch any of what he did.

I miss Halo 3 :(

Trey

the newest update isn't quite theater mode, but it expands the recording of gameplay beyond a few highlights.

Just got back into this game a few weeks ago and have made so much progress. My team was all silvers, golds and Craig Kimbrel. I now have Jered Weaver, CC Sabathia, Catfish Hunter, Matt Holliday, Curtis Grandersen, and Reggie Jackson with golds everywhere else. Completing the Conquest missions does so much. I'm thinking I should grind team epics next? I just want tons of XP so I'm finally gold and can buy good shit with my tickets. I'm a silver 32 ATM.

I'm also 3 hits away from Brock Holts 100 hit mission which will reward me another diamond. Talk about a fucking grind.

PSA: Don't forget to log on in the next couple days to vote for HR Derby and All Star winners in your missions tab.

Just got back into this game a few weeks ago and have made so much progress. My team was all silvers, golds and Craig Kimbrel. I now have Jered Weaver, CC Sabathia, Catfish Hunter, Matt Holliday, Curtis Grandersen, and Reggie Jackson with golds everywhere else. Completing the Conquest missions does so much. I'm thinking I should grind team epics next? I just want tons of XP so I'm finally gold and can buy good shit with my tickets. I'm a silver 32 ATM.

I'm also 3 hits away from Brock Holts 100 hit mission which will reward me another diamond. Talk about a fucking grind.

PSA: Don't forget to log on in the next couple days to vote for HR Derby and All Star winners in your missions tab.
Missions tab?

leng jai

Been playing around with Zen in comp lately, seem to be doing a bit better compared to Dva. Surprised by how much damage he does. Finding it super hard to manage my orb buffs when shit hits the fan, and the charged shot is pretty hard to use.

antitrop

Been playing around with Zen in comp lately, seem to be doing a bit better compared to Dva. Surprised by how much damage he does. Finding it super hard to manage my orb buffs when shit hits the fan, and the charged shot is pretty hard to use.

Just be glad you weren't playing Zen when his shots had a random spread to them. He feels so much better to play now after that buff.

Zenyatta's damage potential is nuts for a support, I mean, he can 1-shot Widowmakers across the map with a little cunning and luck. I took me dozens of hours to get comfortable with his alternate fire, but once you do, it's mean af.

Zen plays fast as fuck once you get good with him, both Harmony and Discord Orb have no cooldown or cast time, so you can actually put them on targets in the middle of spamming primary fire and you won't even see the animation of him tossing the orbs. They're "free" actions. Where Mercy has to choose between doing damage herself, healing, or damage boosting, Zenyatta can do all 3 things at once. Very satisfying.

leng jai

Just be glad you weren't playing Zen when his shots had a random spread to them. He feels so much better to play now after that buff.

Zenyatta's damage potential is nuts for a support, I mean, he can 1-shot Widowmakers across the map with a little cunning and luck. I took me dozens of hours to get comfortable with his alternate fire, but once you do, it's mean af.

Zen plays fast as fuck once you get good with him, both Harmony and Discord Orb have no cooldown or cast time, so you can actually put them on targets in the middle of spamming primary fire and you won't even see the animation of him tossing the orbs. They're "free" actions. Where Mercy has to choose between doing damage herself, healing, or damage boosting, Zenyatta can do all 3 things at once. Very satisfying.

He's far more interesting to play than Mercy. I feel like I'm really spammy with him though, even with the damage orbs I'm just holding it down without really aiming properly half the time. Seems pretty forgiving with the hitboxes. I'm useless with alt fire at the moment though.

Too bad I don't really like any of his skins though.

Top Bottom