• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Nazo

It's the only ability in the game that consistently infuriates me on a regular basis. Most annoying abilities I can at least go "well, I made a mistake and put myself in a position for Roadhog to hook me" or something. Scatter arrow is "oh, you have full HP and don't know where Hanzo is AT ALL TIMES? Okay you're dead."

My sentiments exactly. At least Roadhog has to take some level of skill to actually hook targets consistently. Scatter is just "lol I aimed at your feet and now your dead" the ability.

I feel like mechanically Scatter Arrow is an abject failure of game design. Since the arrows intended use was to put a bunch of damage in a room or corner with the ricochet effect. But no one actually uses it like that. Literally everyone just aims at a single enemies feet for a guaranteed kill. Honestly, if Blizzard is happy with this as scatter's main use then they should just remove the ability entirely and just give Hanzo a single explosive arrow that guarantees a shit ton of damage on like a 10 to 12 second cool down or something.

Ramirez

I still don't understand why they can't move the damage of SS off the impact, and make it more about how many times you get hit by the ricochet.

It feels good to finally start getting used to a lower mouse sensitivity and see that my accuracy is going up across the board. I can actually do stuff with 76 now!

Ramirez

Aren't the random arrows the problem?

I was under the impression the brunt of the damage comes as soon as the arrows hit where you're aiming. They should nerf that damage, and just buff the actually scatter arrow effect. I see the ability as a way to kill people camping rooms/hallways, but it never works like that.

Prelude.

I was under the impression the brunt of the damage comes as soon as the arrows hit where you're aiming. They should nerf that damage, and just buff the actually scatter arrow effect. I see the ability as a way to kill people camping rooms/hallways, but it never works like that.
Every fragment arrow does 75 damage (at full charge, can't headshot), so if all 6 arrows hit the target they can do max 450. There's nothing to buff/nerf, they all do the same damage throughout the duration of the bounces, it's just more likely that more arrows hit the targets if they're shot in their immediate vicinity. What you're asking is for the actual rng part of the move, the bullshit arrows that hit you after bouncing over 5 walls, to be buffed. Or even worse, that the arrows penetrate. That doesn't exactly make it better.

I use them very liberally on the map geometry, since they're a great way to finish off low health targets that retreated behind walls, the actual one shot on the floor isn't as reliable as people make it out to be, it's nothing like an old hook. Very few targets are an almost guaranteed kill.

Ramirez

Every fragment arrow does 75 damage (at full charge, can't headshot), so if all 6 arrows hit the target they can do max 450. There's nothing to buff/nerf, they all do the same damage throughout the duration of the bounces, it's just more likely that more arrows hit the targets if they're shot in their immediate vicinity. What you're asking is for the actual rng part of the move, the bullshit arrows that hit you after bouncing over 5 walls, to be buffed. Or even worse, that the arrows penetrate. That doesn't exactly make it better.

I use them very liberally on the map geometry, since they're a great way to finish off low health targets that retreated behind walls, the actual one shot on the floor isn't as reliable as people make it out to be, it's nothing like an old hook. Very few targets are an almost guaranteed kill.

I admittedly didn't know the damage numbers, but it's still a very frustrating ability that seems random the vast majority of the time it hits you. If I were in an enclosed space and died to it, I see that as me being out of position like with Hog's hook. But to die to it in an open space feels bullshit every time.

Trey

I admittedly didn't know the damage numbers, but it's still a very frustrating ability that seems random the vast majority of the time it hits you. If I were in an enclosed space and died to it, I see that as me being out of position like with Hog's hook. But to die to it in an open space feels bullshit every time.

They hit a good (or lucky) shot. Same as a headshot. Thems the breaks with Hanzo. Buffing the scatter part and throwing actual randomness into the forefront just sounds unappealing for everyone.

Prelude.

Yeah, but you know they have a Hanzo and you know that can happen, so it's still bad positioning most of the time. If you know they have a Widow don't you stay behind barriers/cover, keep track of where her shots are coming from to pinpoint her location or listen for her ult? Keeping track and taking advantage of the windows between cds is a core part of the game, so if you're using a hero that's very likely to die from a scatter like a Tracer, you need to play accordingly.

They hit a good (or lucky) shot. Same as a headshot. Thems the breaks with Hanzo. Buffing the scatter part and throwing actual randomness into the forefront just sounds unappealing for everyone.

I think the best solution would be to change how the scatter arrow breaks apart on impact. The reason people use it as a "shoot at the feet" move is because all the arrows break forward. So it allows bad Hanzos to get kills if they aim at the feet of a huge target. Hanzo shouldn't be able to one-shot a tank. Squishies, fine, whatever, it's the same as a headshot.

If they change the scatter angle so that some of the 6 arrows don't break the same direction as others, it eliminates the one-shot capability but doesn't take away from the "shooting into an enclosed space" ricochet potential. At least in theory.

Ramirez

If they change the scatter angle so that some of the 6 arrows don't break the same direction as others, it eliminates the one-shot capability but doesn't take away from the "shooting into an enclosed space" ricochet potential. At least in theory.

This is what I meant, I'm not asking for it to be completely random, but shooting it at someone's feet shouldn't be an auto kill like it usually is.

Listen, I'm just salty Roadhog was destroyed when there are plenty of bullshit deaths in the game that are luck based. :p

finalflame

I have a habit of quitting when the game ends (before it says "Defeat") and now Im banned from matchmaking lol.

That's a terrible habit, it gives you a huge red banner warning you and you have to confirm. I've accidentally done it once and it scarred me for life. How'd you do it enough times to get yourself banned?

That's a terrible habit, it gives you a huge red banner warning you and you have to confirm. How'd you do it enough times to get yourself banned?

Its pretty easy on console, X is both the confirm for exit game and confirm for the red banner and the banner doesn't even have to show up for you to get past it. I've done it fast enough to where I don't even see the red banner. Wish they added a cool down on the banner.

Whats annoying is there is a delay on the exit game so you get into a habit of hitting it multiple times.

finalflame

Its pretty easy on console, X is both the confirm for exit game and confirm for the red banner and the banner doesn't even have to show up for you to get past it. I've done it fast enough to where I don't even see the red banner. Wish they added a cool down on the banner.

That's a bummer :/ It dose sound unusually easy to make that mistake on console, less so on PC.

Veelk

Banned
More treats to you, friend. That's a hell of a comeback, for sure.

I crawled back into Platinum after spending all of last season being battered through gold.

I don't feel I'm playing significantly better than I was then, mostly focusing on different heroes. But I regained my rank around the time they decided to nerf Soldier's overpowered damage.

What a coincidence.

I don't get Blizzard's train of thought.

Everyone: "Mercy's Rez needs a fix. Roadhog has been nerfed to oblivion. Dive has become too powerful."

Blizzard: "Here are some McCree and Zarya changes!"

I get that Blizzard has to balance the game for all skill levels, but did they really need to make McCree and Zarya's skills even more braindead? Why not just give every character Nanovisor as a cooldown ability?
Because in classic overwatch fashion for as much money they make, they take fucking forever just to experiment with common sense balance changes on the ptr.

See: soldier on console, Ana in general, bastion ironclad, and now it's mercy and hog (EVEN THOUGH EVERYONE SAID HOG WAS RUINED BEFORE AND DURING WHEN THE CHANGE WAS ON THE PTR AND THEY DIDN'T GIVE A SHIIIIT)

And then Jeff had the gall to say they patch more than we give them credit for lol.

Scatter Arrow isn't random.

People don't know what the fuck random means. You don't understand how scatter bounces, that doesn't make it random. It's also not a guaranteed one shot and it does have counter play. Try, um, jumping at the right time.

LiK

People don't know what the fuck random means. You don't understand how scatter bounces, that doesn't make it random. It's also not a guaranteed one shot and it does have counter play. Try, um, jumping at the right time.

Nah, jumping doesn't always work. Tried that plenty of times.

Nah, jumping doesn't always work. Tried that plenty of times.
It depends on a ton of factors, including your character hitbox, any inclines or stairs or other map geometry , and where Hanzo aimed it.

Generally speaking, if you get killed by scatter you did something wrong and can improve it. It's the same as old hook, which didn't need a nerf either (but was a more legitimate redesign target being on a 900hp tank and also easier to pull off).

Gorillaz

last 3 games lost due to people throwing with stupid ass picks and complaining afterwards

community is fucking trassssssssssssssssssssh right now hahaha

Owzers

Haha, that's okay, I was almost done for the night anyway. 5-6 stack is rough. At least we stomped Anubis which is one of our most hated maps. Lots of synergy there. Only gained 23 SR from the wins and losses for the night. At least it was a net gain.

I need to upload my PotM as Junk from last night before you joined. The beautiful Sextuple kill voiceline popped.

Post it so everyone can see I'm the real MVP...if my hammer had a larger swing radius.

Nah it's pretty fucking random.

Lol. It's effectively random. You can't predict how those arrows will bounce in the half second the shot goes down in, and you sure as hell can't react to it and dodge.

JHall

Wtf, been playing mercy and when I lose I lose way less SR. When I win I gain way more SR. Usually I flex. Why?

poster%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1u2.jpg

leng jai

Played on PC for about a month and still stuck at sub 1000SR solo queuing. Doesn't even really feel like I'm playing that bad. Placed at 1400 but stunk it up with Dva for a while and then had a bad bout of disconnects which dropped me all the way down to 750. I keep getting up to around 980 and then like clock work I'll lose 3 matches in a row and drop back down to 900-850.

Terrible.

Now that Skyline seems to be done posting videos are there any OW YouTube channels that don't do clickbait shit?

I don't want to support any channels leading with HUGE DOOMFIST NERF?! DOOMFIST CHANGES EVERYTHIG! RIP DOOMFIST? etc etc

LiK

Now that Skyline seems to be done posting videos are there any OW YouTube channels that don't do clickbait shit?

I don't want to support any channels leading with HUGE DOOMFIST NERF?! DOOMFIST CHANGES EVERYTHIG! RIP DOOMFIST? etc etc

Can't help you there. Everyone is doing them now.

Blues1990

ZARYA BUFF
ZARYA BUFF

Yee!

Yfw4Caw.jpg

Almost all of them are doing that, but I still like watching Overwatch Central's Master Guide series. It's a solid one-on-one with pro's and high level players talking about the character they play as, and offer advice/general feedback on what to do with said character.

Top Bottom