• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

I really just want Winged Goddess Mercy, but I'm refusing to spend more money on Lootboxes, so I'm kinda screwed.

Which is slightly disappointing as Goddess Mercy would have been perfect for the overpowered hellbeast that Valkyried Mercy is.

Lulz @ overpowered hellbeast...I choked on my monster a bit.

I didn't buy any and I'm glad I didn't since I woulda got shit. I have 13k coins but I'm pretty stingy with using them.

I'll for sure grab the skin of your true main tho...
Soldier 76 😜

Overwatch when it first came out probably had the best honeymoon period of any shooter that I played. Everyone was super friendly. I remember the moment where I got bit by the Hanzo bug. Enemy team was defending hanamura with a full gun line of bastions. I sneak off to the side and unleash a dragon that kills all of them and we cap. I get the full 11 votes from teammates and enemy for swapping TO Hanzo and countering the enemy. It's surreal looking back at that now and remembering that it was only a year ago. It feels like 10 years ago.

IMO Overwatch's toxicity problem is rooted several major issues.

1. Game lacks proper information conveyance. If you let your users "gap-fill" their own conclusions you create a system where toxicity spirals out of control, because nine times out of ten they gap-fill by blaming teammates.

2. Casual play and competitive play isn't differentiated enough. 6 v 6 makes sense in a comp environment because it's hard to wrangle more players to makes teams with more members. Part of the reason why highlander teams were so janky in TF2 was how difficult it was to get nine people together to practice. But 6 v 6 in quickplay creates a shit environment for fun and experimentation because it has all the individual pressure placed on people from the small team size and none of the competitve incentives to play well because it's "just quickplay." These problems are often exacerbated in arcade mode with even smaller teamsizes. This pressures people to play Comp to get good games. Initially this was the only reason why I even bothered to try comp in first place because quickplay became so shit. Pressuring people to play a mode to play the "real game" is a recipe for toxicity. It would have made far more sense for the regular game to have been 12 v 12 cluster fucks and have tournament mode be the offshoot for enthusiasts. This eases pressure on the meta as well since some characters can thrive in one mode even if they aren't featured in the other. For example, having a symmetra only player in a 12 v 12 pub game would be far more accepted and appreciated than in a 6 v 6 game.

3. Not enough solo play carry potential. It might seem like a weird notion but it is entirely possible for a team based game to be TOO team based. And that is IMO certainly the case with Overwatch. The carrying capacity of individual characters is too low and the need to overly cooperate creates a recipe for blame games. A recipe for toxic behavior. Early on when TF2 was released and you had shit maps like dustbowl and 2fort, and the completely insane launch Demoman; the game basically required multiple medics syncing their ubers together to breach points otherwise you'd never get through the spam. This caused a spike in "team player" servers like the infamous Texas Team Players server which was basically a toxic soup of butthurt where people screamed at you if you put a sentry in the "wrong" place. Over time changes made to the game and unlocks made it so you could be extremely independent. No medic? No problem. Just use the Black box, mad milk, etc. A good player in TF2 could carry a lot of trashcans. In fact most TF2 pubs were basically the top three players versus each other while the surrounding goombas and koopa troopas did their own thing. People deliberately afking as sandvich heavies or spy crabs were just part of the scenery. An afk torb in Overwatch however is a great cause for alarm.

4. The tank-dps-healer paradigm or the holy trinity as it is sometimes called is a shit framework for game design, ESPECIALLY for an action fps game. A lot of people might balk at this, but this system is just awful. People play first person shooters by and large to shooter persons first. Two out of the three core roles are designed around wiping the bottoms of the guys doing the shooting. Not exactly a glamorous job. And yes, there are people who like playing these roles but that motivation springs out of them solely. It's not fostered by the game by any incentive other than "I'd rather not lose." Compare that to other games with supports, like DOTA, where they have their own unique responsibilities and gameplay loops: rotations, stacking, warding, ganking along with their own spells. A Lion having a very good game with blink, forcestaff, euls has a ton of outplay potential compared to a carry like wraithking and PA who are designed around smacking something until it dies, for example. I remember an overwatch game where this mccree screamed at me for not killing a lucio when I was a mercy. The lucio was afk on the cart in Route 66. I was blue beaming the mccree and he missed one full clip of left clicks, a stun grenade (yes he tried to stun a guy who wasn't moving), and a fan the hammer. He did zero damage. But it was my fault even though he was the one shooting. There is NO AMOUNT of health you can stuff in these potatoes to help them. Conversely, in a true moba, even the shittiest carry will get items EVENTUALLY and accidentally attack move into the enemy base EVENTUALLY if you make enough space for them.

5. Bad balance. Self-explanatory and a common problem in games sinces good balance is pretty hard to achieve but like every other point in this list all the other Overwatch problems feed into each other making what individually would be smaller problems much worse. Not enough characters are viable at any one time. The game utterly failed in it's concept of switching to hero counters because the game revolves around mirror match ups. If not exact mirrors, than mirrors of the same strategy. You didn't have reaper comps to counter the tank meta for example, just another tank blob. People get bored of doing the same stuff and want to try new things. Other people don't want other people to try new things. Shitstorm ensues etc. Overwatch is basically the videogame equivalent to those dance movies like Stomp the Yard, where everyone has to dance the same little dance to win the big competition and someone has a breakdown and hides in their treehouse crying into their anime or whatever.

Basically, Overwatch needs. A true fun havey mode that is chaotic enough to mask personality responsibility but still has a general game flow, a greater sense of personal impact and accomplishment, and a more flexible meta that allows people to express themselves while still being competitive. You have all these wonderful characters with their own mechanics but you aren't "allowed" to touch over half of them without getting smacked on the nose with a newspaper because of "reasons" both in game and in the 'metagame' and people wonder why the game is toxic?

If anyone needs to tell someone no with a gif, here you go

LrUHqJc.gif

My face when my teammates force me to swap off Zarya with 4 gold medals because they said our Mercy can't solo heal me and our D.va

tumblr_inline_obo6svRsgq1unmfg0_400.jpg

Guess who lost that match

Finally got a legendary and it's the GB Tracer one which I like luckily, but it's so seasonal and she has so many good skins so eh.

Also her eyes kinda look weird in it.

Shoulda told one of the dead weight dps to swap. Not that they would have I'm sure.

I didn't say a word, I still had 3 out of those 4 gold medals by the end of the match while the two premades kept arguing with each other about lack of DPS and constant wiping.

Just a stupid night tonight, all of my wins have been absolute steam rolls, and each of those wins has been negated by a team who refuses to heal or run a balanced comp. My last one we lost because we didn't have a Mercy, because our 20 hour Mercy maining teammate wanted to run Winston when we didn't even need one.

I didn't say a word, I still had 3 out of those 4 gold medals by the end of the match while the two premades kept arguing with each other about lack of DPS and constant wiping.

Just a stupid night tonight, all of my wins have been absolute steam rolls, and each of those wins has been negated by a team who refuses to heal or run a balanced comp. My last one we lost because we didn't have a Mercy, because our 20 hour Mercy maining teammate wanted to run Winston when we didn't even need one.

Seen that movie plenty times myself, just a helpless feeling as ya watch the house burn down.

Think I'll go roll the dice as well and see wut happens.

Nazo

I really hate how Lucio ball just devolves into an endless ping pong game between the opposing goalies.

It is zero fun.

LiK

Using a Symm in KOTH and doesn't swap when it's not working. We would've won that one since the other team was struggling against us at times. Basically 5v6. Sigh

Using a Symm in KOTH and doesn't swap when it's not working. We would've won that one since the other team was struggling against us at times. Basically 5v6. Sigh

I'll defend sym on KOTH on certain maps, but yea, gotta switch if you're not getting the kills to help out

Holy shit. I had some guy named "Cloud9smurf(string of numbers)" playing Zen vs my Zen on Route 66. He was level 26. He hunted me down the entire match. I never saw him. I just got discorded, but couldn't see from where. Sometime in the next 30 seconds he would alt-fire me from high ground. Dead.

We actually won, but that has got to be my worst Zen stat line of all time: 2 kills (both on that SOB, but still), 18 deaths (every one at that shitstain's hands), minimal healing and damage, single digit assists- total.

Please get to where you're going soon, and leave me alone, asshole. Thanks and bye.

1st comp game of the nite...2 tanks and a mercy instalock, everyone on mic.

Me thinking: holy shit this is amazing, 10 seconds before start...match will cancel in 10 seconds, due to leaver on the other team.

Lulz, FML.

Plesiades

D.Va nerfed? Buffed? I don't know at this point. Her missiles don't do ~200 damage.

Basically, Overwatch needs. A true fun havey mode that is chaotic enough to mask personality responsibility but still has a general game flow, a greater sense of personal impact and accomplishment, and a more flexible meta that allows people to express themselves while still being competitive. You have all these wonderful characters with their own mechanics but you aren't "allowed" to touch over half of them without getting smacked on the nose with a newspaper because of "reasons" both in game and in the 'metagame' and people wonder why the game is toxic?

Sometimes I feel that Blizzard was trying to chase the Esports dragon when designing OW without realizing how everyone else played regular ass TF2.

LiK

Good games with Elza tonight. Close matches. 1-1-1 record. What a record in 3 straight games. Damn that stupid Draw.

R0ckman

God I am a bad shot at bad flying Pharahs embarassing since I'm usually a good McCree shot.

On a seperate note, do you think death match will clean up quick play objective based games a bit. Just had a KoH where my team chased kills.

Overwatch when it first came out probably had the best honeymoon period of any shooter that I played. Everyone was super friendly. I remember the moment where I got bit by the Hanzo bug. Enemy team was defending hanamura with a full gun line of bastions. I sneak off to the side and unleash a dragon that kills all of them and we cap. I get the full 11 votes from teammates and enemy for swapping TO Hanzo and countering the enemy. It's surreal looking back at that now and remembering that it was only a year ago. It feels like 10 years ago.

IMO Overwatch's toxicity problem is rooted several major issues.

[SNIP]

Great post. I've come to pretty similar conclusions but a big part of that requires an almost rework of fundamental things that I don't think will come to pass. Unfortunate, but it is what it is.

randome

Anyone on PS4 changed around their settings for pharah? For some reason she seems so weird for me to control. I use X to hover instead of L2 because I can't get used to it. I'm convinced she's the best way to progress. She's such a pain in the ass to play against and always distracts and/or kills my whole team.

Neoxon

Let me take a moment to vent real quick. WHY HAVE THE RNG GODS REFUSED TO GIVE ME THE SUMMER SOMBRA SKIN!?!?!? AT LEAST GIVE ME THE FUCKING CREDITS NEEDED FOR THE SKIN!!!!!!!

*sigh* There we go.

Anyone on PS4 changed around their settings for pharah? For some reason she seems so weird for me to control. I use X to hover instead of L2 because I can't get used to it. I'm convinced she's the best way to progress. She's such a pain in the ass to play against and always distracts and/or kills my whole team.

I swapped L1 with X...so L1 is hover and X is rocket jump. Seems to work well for me but I don't play Pharah much so take that as you will.

1-4 down 35sr I'm constantly playing against 5 and 6-stacks as a soloQ. Like, I really wish they would implement a solo only Queue.

What? How do you even aim while hovering?

Can't remember the default settings, but I have the rocket jump on X, concussive blast on R1 and her ult barrage on L1. L2 for hovering and R2 primary fire.

I see a lot of people using triangle for the ult but I don't like it, since you need to aim that split second where you take the finger off the right analog makes a difference for me.

Also I disabled vibration for all the characters a while ago, Pharah is the one that benefit the most from it, feels like a completely different character, the sense of "weight" is completely gone.

LiK

What? How do you even aim while hovering?

Can't remember the default settings, but I have the rocket jump on X, concussive blast on R1 and her ult barrage on L1. L2 for hovering and R2 primary fire.

I see a lot of people using triangle for the ult but I don't like it, since you need to aim that split second where you take the finger off the right analog makes a difference for me.

Also I disabled vibration for all the characters a while ago, Pharah is the one that benefit the most from it, feels like a completely different character, the sense of "weight" is completely gone.

You can turn off vibration for per hero?! I need to do this for Hanzo. He's the only one I don't like with vibration.

exYle

Let me take a moment to vent real quick. WHY HAVE THE RNG GODS REFUSED TO GIVE ME THE SUMMER SOMBRA SKIN!?!?!? AT LEAST GIVE ME THE FUCKING CREDITS NEEDED FOR THE SKIN!!!!!!!

*sigh* There we go.

It's cause she's a DCEU fan and wants nothing to do with you

This fucking game.

2 games today. First. Nepal. Lose 3-2. The last game both sides are battling for the point at 99%.

Second. Numbani. Defending first. Only a third of the capture point lost. Easy victory.

I'm now 8 points worse off than when I started. It makes no fucking sense. My team in the Nepal game had a much lower average than the other side, and we only just lost that by a hair.

It's ridiculous.

This fucking game.

2 games today. First. Nepal. Lose 3-2. The last game both sides are battling for the point at 99%.

Second. Numbani. Defending first. Only a third of the capture point lost. Easy victory.

I'm now 8 points worse off than when I started. It makes no fucking sense. My team in the Nepal game had a much lower average than the other side, and we only just lost that by a hair.

It's ridiculous.

Yeah its lame, they may as well remove the team score cuz it obviously means shit in the payouts.

kurahador

*sigh* There we go.

I would gladly trade place with you. Only got Sombra skin here, yet I got everything else --- all the sprays, emotes, last year's skins, etc.
Now instead of getting those legendary skins, I get dupe icons and sprays.

The fuck Blizzard.

Sygma

The Doomfist hitbox nerf without anything to compensate is totally going to kill him outside of pro play strictly because his counters counter him much harder than tracer or genji counter them

What happened to wait and see with new heroes, Blizzard?

Is he already nerfed on the PTR ? I've been destroying with him on it yesterday when I couldn't play Mercy, it wasn't hard at all to land punches

Also I got one shot by a genji deflecting my slam, converting it as a headshot. Dunno if intended, but hilarious

Honestly if people are relying solely on rocket punch for the most part, they re playing DF wrong. His best combo is lmb uppercut lmb at close range, you just have to make sure that one of the shot is a headshot.

Overall I just feel bad for any Tracer / Genji trying to kill me on DF. Mccree too if the dude expect me to come to him while not taking cover. Its also pretty easy to avoid the flashbang, uppercut really is the best tool in DF's arsenal.

Oh yeah, fun fact, if you re trying to fly over a rein ulting while using slam, you ll still be hit in the air.

Top Bottom