• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

_Legacy_

I wonder where people will get end up after the season 6 placements?

The new logic should hopefully put us around where we ended, should be interesting. Kind of funny the one season I end up relatively lower than normal is when they introduce this but it was needed. Maybe they decided to keep SR boost but part of me think they may do away with it if we start near where we all finish.

JayCB

DIYXuSBXcAAHu5y.jpg

trading-places-eddie-murphy-champagne-cheers-gif

Season 5 treated me well.

Veelk

Banned
I'm looking at old footage of Roadhog, and man, his gun was so much cooler before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7r0DwISGv0

I can't get over how fast it animates now and it looks off every time I see it. The entire gun animation, the entire characters, was designed around the idea of this terrifying, slow moving serial killer. All Overwatch characters have been designed with some unifying idea and every part of their design works to incorperate that. And Roadhog's was to be slow, but deadly, and his gun animation reflected that. But with the changes done to Roadhog, his gun had to animate much faster and now it just looks silly that he has this rapid fire, pea-shooting shotgun-pistol.

Especially look at the primary fire. The gun jumps straight up, and hangs in there just the right amount of time before roadhog settles it back down, making you really feel the recoil, which in turn makes the shot feel really powerful. Current hog doesn't just play bad, he feels bad to play because that animation doesn't work on the speed they're playing it.

And I realize this is a small thing to bitch about in the grand scheme of things, but just looking at old hog footage makes me sad. Roadhog's aethetic as a big, fat, terrifying man makes no sense now. He moves way too fast for that to look right now.

I'm looking at old footage of Roadhog, and man, his gun was so much cooler before.

I can't get over how fast it animates now and it looks off every time I see it. The entire gun animation, the entire characters, was designed around the idea of this terrifying, slow moving serial killer. All Overwatch characters have been designed with some unifying idea and every part of their design works to incorperate that. And Roadhog's was to be slow, but deadly, and his gun animation reflected that. But with the changes done to Roadhog, his gun had to animate much faster and now it just looks silly that he has this rapid fire, pea-shooting shotgun-pistol.

Especially look at the primary fire. The gun jumps straight up, and hangs in there just the right amount of time before roadhog settles it back down, making you really feel the recoil, which in turn makes the shot feel really powerful. Current hog doesn't just play bad, he feels bad to play because that animation doesn't work on the speed they're playing it.

And I realize this is a small thing to bitch about in the grand scheme of things, but just looking at old hog footage makes me sad. Roadhog's aethetic as a big, fat, terrifying man makes no sense now. He moves way too fast for that to look right now.

Imo they never should have changed it to where the hooked target was put directly in front of you.

That made it way to easy to hook combo and that's when people started crying that loudest.

If they left that alone and put hook on 8 seconds he might still be around.

Veelk

Banned
Imo they never should have changed it to where the hooked target was put directly in front of you.

That made it way to easy to hook combo and that's when people started crying that loudest.

If they left that alone and put hook on 8 seconds he might still be around.

I don't know. It's been a while, but I remember thinking that was more of a good change since there was really no reason why each hero got their own different space and while there was a way to guarantee the kills for each hero, I did consider it a legitimate problem that there was no real way of learning how through natural play. Pro's had to experiment and memorize that for Ana, you had to take a step forward before firing while another hero could be killed from the default position. But I wasn't a great Roadhog player then and the new Hook made me like him a lot more, so maybe I'm biased.

But I do agree that it made the one shot combo very accessible, which lead to many lesser skilled people being killed by it much more easily, which felt unfair to them. Nevertheless, Blizzard should have been way smarter about this. I don't think they make a lot of careless or stupid moves, but this whole Roadhog thing is the worst thing I've seen from them next to that bastion patch going through.

2 Legendary drops in my 3 arcade boxes this morning. Crappy Tracer sprinter skin and 500 coins. Go fuck!

Had to buy the Mercy skin in the end. I've got enough for the Widow skin, which I like, but I only ever play her during Mystery Heroes so it seems quite the waste.

Blues1990

It's another reason why I'm dreading the Mercy and D.Va changes. They have the right intentions with both, but I hated the execution. Like, I understand the reason behind the Mercy change. They wanted to discourage the "hide and rez" play-style. But Mercy was ALREADY one of the best heroes in the game and unquestionably the most played.

So why was their idea to just flat out buff her? There's no trade-off to her new ultimate, and its not like this is a little thing. They buffed her into the stratosphere and transformed her into a freaking berserker of a Valkyrie. :/

In the case for D.Va, she's entirely dependent on DM, as she's the biggest target in the game and half her front is crit box. I tested for five hours on the PTR and I spent more time OUT of mech than IN. Two seconds isn't long enough to be able to neutralize any useful ults. As it is DM is one if the only useful 76 ult counters, now that's out the window.

The E ability feels tacked on. Although shooting while boosted is awesome, I'd rather have my 4 seconds of DM (and some number changes) than either of the adjustments they are presenting.

Anyway....

This is my last loot box from the event, and I'm pretty happy with it. Still getting some new goodies, and the duplicates are adding to my change purse.

Veelk

Banned
In the case for D.Va, she's entirely dependent on DM, as she's the biggest target in the game and half her front is crit box. I tested for five hours on the PTR and I spent more time OUT of mech than IN. Two seconds isn't long enough to be able to neutralize any useful ults. As it is DM is one if the only useful 76 ult counters, now that's out the window.

The E ability feels tacked on. Although shooting while boosted is awesome, I'd rather have my 4 seconds of DM (and some number changes) than either of the adjustments they are presenting.

I haven't played the PTR, so I can't judge beyond what I've seen, but yeah, this was always going to be a nerf overall. DM is one of the best defensive abilities because it utterly neutralizes the majority of attacks. So cutting it in half is going to be a severe blow. That said, I myself am an aggressive D.Va that tends to use DM sparsely, so it's perfectly possible that this is a buff to my preferred playstyle. Passive, DM-botting is a far more effective style (I once saved a game where we were getting rolled by going "Fine, I'll just DM the team the whole time"), but I'll love to see D.Va become a DPS/tank.

But also, D.Va is a character a lot of people really love. Meaning that she's earned her place as one of the unimpeachables of Overwatch, so she's got protection from overnerfing. She's not like Junkrat or Torb or even Roadhog, who Blizzard will feel comfortable laying by the wayside. So even if her current abilities feel underpowered, I don't expect them to stay that way for long.

That said, my post wasn't about actual gameplay balance so much as the feel of a character. Since D.Va is in a mech and a gamer, I feel that her ability to shoot rockets and have a high reflex based DM that relies on timing is fitting to her character. Roadhog, the big, fat, slow psycho murderer being turned into a fast running, rapid shooter feels off in a way that doesn't have anything to do with game balance. The identity of Roadhog as that has been replaced with a big, fat, fast tickler. It just feels wrong not just because he's worthless in terms of game mechanics now, but the aesthetic of his design is now incongruent with his gameplay.

This is my last loot box from the event, and I'm pretty happy with it. Still getting some new goodies, and the duplicates are adding to my change purse.

I probably got fewer lootboxes for this event than any previously and I got pretty much everything except a few sprays and Cricket Junkrat (which I swear I haven't seen in game even once. I think everyone hates it lol). Everything else, I got :)

Anne

Mercy was ALREADY one of the best heroes in the game and unquestionably the most played.

Mercy get unquestionably much worse the higher up in skill level you go, which is an issue. At the same time, at low levels her general ease of use and uninteractive playstyle makes her extremely common and very frustrating to deal with. They're trying to kill two birds with one stone by adding skill expression to her kit, giving players more chances to interact with her (read: kill her), and at the same time overall buff her so she's more than just a Pharah pocket bot past Masters elo. If they get the power levels adjusted fine it's a win-win across the board for most people.

As far as D.Va goes, she's actually really strong on PTR and they had to drop a rocket nerf on her. She still looks strong even with that, so I don't see what there is to worry about. IF you're spending that much time out of mech while struggling to get DM value, that's on you. She's had basically a free pass to hold down M2 like a moron for awhile now. If you know how to conserve DM and get the max value out of your up time it's still perfectly usable. DM with 2S up time is still on par as the best damage mitigation CD in the game On PTR atm it's probably about equal to a Winston bubble or just slightly worse. Winston shield is broken as is currently, so.......I think it'll be okay.

ryan13ts

I decided to buy 20 bucks worth of loot boxes before the event ended since I didn't get to play that much this month because of stuff going on, and what I got really ended up annoying me. Now, I have to bitch a moment about the way they set up event loot boxes. My premise of my bitching is simple; Why in the hell are they mixing regular legendary loot in during an event?

Clearly they know everyone is out to get the event skins, so keeping the potential to get a regular legendary skins (that you can get at any time) is a very shitty move. Getting a legendary skin is pretty rare anyways,so keeping the regular skins in isn't necessary and just makes getting a loot box with one during an event an extremely aggravating situation instead of a exciting one like it should be. Out of 5 legendaries (Which is VERY unusual for me, I rarely get any period), 3 of them were standard ones I could get at any time. That really, REALLY fucking annoys me, especially when I'm spending money on these boxes, and it would annoy me even if I didn't.

I can't be the only one fucking miffed by this practice, am I?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So I noticed that the event was still up, I thought it ended when the season did, so I quickly got one more box.
F26XBL7l.png

I was hoping to get the Mercy skin but at least now I have the only decent Zarya skin, so, that's not too bad.

Blues1990

Mercy get unquestionably much worse the higher up in skill level you go, which is an issue. At the same time, at low levels her general ease of use and uninteractive playstyle makes her extremely common and very frustrating to deal with. They're trying to kill two birds with one stone by adding skill expression to her kit, giving players more chances to interact with her (read: kill her), and at the same time overall buff her so she's more than just a Pharah pocket bot past Masters elo. If they get the power levels adjusted fine it's a win-win across the board for most people.

As far as D.Va goes, she's actually really strong on PTR and they had to drop a rocket nerf on her. She still looks strong even with that, so I don't see what there is to worry about. IF you're spending that much time out of mech while struggling to get DM value, that's on you. She's had basically a free pass to hold down M2 like a moron for awhile now. If you know how to conserve DM and get the max value out of your up time it's still perfectly usable. DM with 2S up time is still on par as the best damage mitigation CD in the game On PTR atm it's probably about equal to a Winston bubble or just slightly worse. Winston shield is broken as is currently, so.......I think it'll be okay.

With regards to the first point, I'm worried they are going to keep Mercy (and D.Va) as is. Otherwise, I agree that Mercy will be fine if they tone her down a bit. Doubt that will happen, though.

As for managing D.Va's Defense Matrix, how I use it is to differentiate between damage that needs to be nullified and damage that can be let through. Soldier: 76's and McCree's respective Ultimate abilities, Pharah's rockets, and Ana's grenades are examples of stuff that needs to be nullified on the spot, along with blocking the person you want to protect (rather than blocking the source of damage).

Also, she worked well because of her defensive abilities and hardiness. I want the ability to take damage, not dish it out.

Kysen

I put 5hrs on the ptr of dva only and she is a monster. She is way stronger in 1v1 encounters, 200 hp heroes are like free kills. The match up vs soldier has also gotten way better. Before if he had healing station up all you could do was try and wait it out with DM before fleeing. Now you can hold DM up and use missiles, even better to boop him while doing this to completely negate the heal.

I think the change of being able to fire while boosting is bigger than the missile change. The damage ramps up quickly the closer you get to your target. So all that dead time on live while approaching (eg vs widow) now gets turned into free damage.

Veelk

Banned
As for managing D.Va's Defense Matrix, how I use it is to differentiate between damage that needs to be nullified and damage that can be let through. Soldier: 76's and McCree's respective Ultimate abilities, Pharah's rockets, and Ana's grenades are examples of stuff that needs to be nullified on the spot, along with blocking the person you want to protect (rather than blocking the source of damage).

This is the main thing I'm worried about. D.Va is the solution to several ults. She still can stop a lot of them, but now Soldier's, Pharah's, McCree's, Reaper's, Bastion's, and Roadhogs will all outlast the DM by a lot.

If you have the 2 full seconds on it, then that's not nothing, but you're team better be on point. They hear Soldier's "AIMBOT ACTIVATING" callout, then you can give them a significant edge, but they need to zone in on that piece of digital garbage as fast as possible. Which is fine if you're playing with good teammates, and it's not if you're not. That said, good players are going to make sure the enemy D.Va is out of the way or atleast significantly preoccupied before ulting, so yeah, it's gonna be a struggle if you're trying to eat ults.

Still, it's not all bad. D.Va being able to fire her rockets while DMing means that she be able to do damage while she's DMing, so you might even kill them yourself before they have a chance to do too much damage.

Kysen

Pharah ult isn't a problem as she is stuck in place which means all missiles will hit while you DM. With Mcree if he has taken any chip damage its the same deal.

Veelk

Banned
Pharah ult isn't a problem as she is stuck in place which means all missiles will hit while you DM. With Mcree if he has taken any chip damage its the same deal.
Maybe. Remember, the missile launch has a half second delay, and they fire one after another rather than all at once. Pharah's only in the air for like 2 seconds, so there is any delay at all between her ulting and you firing, I think you're gonna miss most of them. Which is fine, so long as D.va isn't the only one firing on her.

Blues1990

Maybe. Remember, the missile launch has a half second delay, and they fire one after another rather than all at once. Pharah's only in the air for like 2 seconds, so there is any delay at all between her ulting and you firing, I think you're gonna miss most of them. Which is fine, so long as D.va isn't the only one firing on her.

3 Seconds, actually.

But, yeah. They were doing so well with the recent character changes (sans Roadhog, who doesn't have a defined role now), so seeing Mercy & D.Va's had put a sour taste in my mouth.

Banzai

I told myself I'm out until more healers are patched in but I am actually looking forward to S6 now. Mostly because of the Mercy changes.

LiK

I don't have any real opinions about new Mercy or reworked DVa until they go live. I wonder when they'll go live anyway.

MCD

I wonder where people will get end up after the season 6 placements?

The new logic should hopefully put us around where we ended, should be interesting. Kind of funny the one season I end up relatively lower than normal is when they introduce this but it was needed. Maybe they decided to keep SR boost but part of me think they may do away with it if we start near where we all finish.

Wish you were there. We (me, Goatmode and Eris) teamed up with an awesome Tracer main and played all night till Eris reached Diamond and beyond. That last game was fucking mental. The enemy team contasted for like 2 min non stop and I was constantly shouting just fucking die and let Eris be diamond hahahaha. Honest to god I sucked everyone's ult there it was just mad. Our Tracer got 80 elms and 54 objective kills. What a night.

_Legacy_

Wish you were there. We (me, Goatmode and Eris) teamed up with an awesome Tracer main and played all night till Eris reached Diamond and beyond. That last game was fucking mental. The enemy team contasted for like 2 min non stop and I was constantly shouting just fucking die and let Eris be diamond hahahaha. Honest to god I sucked everyone's ult there it was just mad. Our Tracer got 80 elms and 54 objective kills. What a night.

Wow, that sounds nuts. The long contest battles can be so tense sometimes!

NeoRaider

I guess grinding for 5 loot boxes has paid off:

3CYhCtD.png

Plus 2 more regular Legendary skins in other two boxes. Ana and Orisa.
But no new Widow skin... oh well. I really wanted Mercy so i am happy.

LiK

^ Mercy skin is evergreen compared to the other event skins. I think I love this skin with her dance emote the most. It's just adorable.

PatjuhR

This was a shit season for me starting around 2200 after winning 8 of 10 placements after a score somehwere around 2750 in season 4.

Worked up to 2650 only to fall back to 2450 in the last 2 days before the end. I hope I can at least start around this number after placements in the next season.

Is there an ETA on Mercy changes going live?

With the new season starting on Thursday I can't imagine it'd make much sense for Blizz not to push the changes to the Live server before then. Having a week or two when most people would have done their placements, only to change her playstyle completely, would be bizzare...

Pooya

I don't think this PTR goes live any time soon, I think they said they will be testing it for awhile. We should be getting the deathmatch patch first.

R0ckman

So I'm watching IDDQD play Mcree on an Oasis map, trying to improve my skills. I've been working hard cause I like the character. My accuracy is around 45%-60% when I'm in the zone but usually fall somewhere in 50%. It doesn't garuntee I make an impact in battle though which is what I'm improving. Looking at his footage, I'm not sure what is going on, the people he fights on the stream Im watching (which obviously aren't always pros he's against ) seem dumber than people I fight.

Unless my team is dictating the flow of battle and controlling the map I have a damn hard time doing anything in peace, I was on that Oasis map using the yellow boost thing to attack from above and CONSTANTLY had to stop and turn around and kill people trying come up and deal with me (as in I had to anticipate it or check the area behind me). IDDQD spent quite a bit of time up there in the footage I saw and a Tracer was the only one the whole match who attempted to come after him up there and she screwed up even trying to get up there correctly.

When is actually good time to use McCree? What kind of situation does your team need to be in, what kind of situation does the enemy team need to be in? Scattered and unfocused? The more I play him, the more I'm noticing he is very niche to a certain "flow" of battle.

Finished LucioBall at 3350 or so, which felt good.

Wanted to try for Masters but didn't have time, sadly.

Taking a comp break felt really good, I'm itching to play it again this season.

After the Destiny beta, of course.

Prelude.

Maybe Winston, I played him a lot and had a lot of success so I'm probably gonna play him more in S6. Also, I think non-guns are the only ones that don't look absolutely awful in gold.
I'm not sure if I'm gonna use it, I just don't like the golden look, but I have more than 6k so I have to spend them.

Chance

So I'm watching IDDQD play Mcree on an Oasis map, trying to improve my skills. I've been working hard cause I like the character. My accuracy is around 45%-60% when I'm in the zone but usually fall somewhere in 50%. It doesn't garuntee I make an impact in battle though which is what I'm improving.

For some reason I the better, more dominant game I have (on Tracer), the lower my accuracy stat goes lol. Maybe it's a you-miss-all-the-shots-you-don't-take kind of thing.

Dartastic

I wonder if anyone has encountered this problem and can help me. I've got a multi-monitor set up and I like to play borderless windowed. My primary monitor has G-Sync. For some reason lately, whenever I try and play Overwatch on my main monitor, it doesn't work unless I'm in full screen mode, despite me enabling G-Sync in borderless windowed in the nvidia settings.

I currently have my main monitor mirrored on my TV, a second monitor next to my gsync monitor, and an Oculus plugged in. Help please! I really want to use G-Sync and not be in full screen mode exclusively.
Nobody? :(

aBarreras

had the arcade lootboxes reset, and i was set on winning them before the event finished, i played like 2 hours and a half, and like 10 matches of mayhem and like 5 matches of random hero.

i lost like 9 times in a row and then won 3 in a row, and then kept on losing.

man the matchmaking in this game kinda sucks doesn't it? i mean my teams woulndt even unlock the payload on the hybrids maps, and we wont even reach the first checkpoint on the escort ones.

but then we was our turn to defend, the enemy team would win like in 4 minutes or something. total anihilation.

im really salty about this, couldnt even get 1 skin from this event.

the only skin i got and i like is the korea one for D.Va

2 and half hours just losing >_>

NeoRaider

had the arcade lootboxes reset, and i was set on winning them before the event finished, i played like 2 hours and a half, and like 10 matches of mayhem and like 5 matches of random hero.

i lost like 9 times in a row and then won 3 in a row, and then kept on losing.

man the matchmaking in this game kinda sucks doesn't it? i mean my teams woulndt even unlock the payload on the hybrids maps, and we wont even reach the first checkpoint on the escort ones.

but then we was our turn to defend, the enemy team would win like in 4 minutes or something. total anihilation.

im really salty about this, couldnt even get 1 skin from this event.

the only skin i got and i like is the korea one for D.Va

2 and half hours just losing >_>

Play Lucio Ball. They are very short. I took all 3 loot boxes in 2 hours. Plus 2 more from leveling up.

R0ckman

For some reason I the better, more dominant game I have (on Tracer), the lower my accuracy stat goes lol. Maybe it's a you-miss-all-the-shots-you-don't-take kind of thing.

Oh I should have been more specific, obviously I'd know just accuracy isnt vaulable but I mean that me getting kills as McCree doesn't always have an impact on anything. Similar to a match where I was Reaper in a pushing payload mission and towards the despite getting picks and surviving at the last stretch there was never a break through, I guess I need people to help me "follow up" and there are certain times during fights where you need to do different things depending on the scope of the amount of people in respawn on both sides, means nothing if I get 3 kills and my entire team or 3 of mine have died not too long ago.

So what gold guns are you guys getting with the post-season CP? Think I'm going with Zarya, have a feeling she will be my most picked in Season 6

I Got Zarya. Because Zarya is love.

It looks fucking cool, too. I did a couple of off-season Comp games as her and won..then did one as Symmetra on Ilios and cleaned up with 48 elims. Was also fun

Mr Git

A nice break to have an event which has no skins I want. Saving all my loot box strife for halloween where there's already fifty billion skins I want and that's not even seeing what new ones they do.

Has the latest patch hit live yet? I was expecting it today, the one with doomfist hitbox changes and Junkrat's extra mine. Been waiting for it.

Top Bottom