• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Holy fucking shit. 17 assists in Deathmatch

I'm consistently getting my kills stolen again and again and again in this game. It's pissing me off so much.

Why is this even on the scoreboard? It doesn't count for anything. Why does the game want me to know how much I helped the other player beat me? It's so insulting.

"Lol, you gave 17 free kills to other players, haha"

What the fuck

It doesn't count? That's so dumb, especially if you did most damage.

Instead of just considering kills they should go with the % of killing participation of your target, giving a small bonus to whoever got the finishing blow.

It's telling you you suck and need to improve. No one should be getting 17 assists and it may indicate a flaw with how you play in general if you cant close out kills.

I only played one match yesterday and it was frequent to have 3 or more players involved in the same fight.

It was actually pretty funny when I was about to get killed by a hog that hooked me, then another hog appeared and hook the one that got me, I put down my healing station and end up killing both xD

Veelk

Banned
It's telling you you suck and need to improve. No one should be getting 17 assists and it may indicate a flaw with how you play in general if you cant close out kills.

Fake edit: I've been playing Tracer exclusively in dm, just to be clear. I'm gonna see how I do with a burst damage character like Junkrat or roadhog

*shrug* maybe, but I don't see what I'm doing wrong when I'm making perfect progress to make a kill only for someone to swoop in out of the corner and land a single shot on the weakened enemy.

The only way I can see myself preventing that is to land literally ALL my shots and.... Well I can tell you thats not happening. I don't see myself getting that good. In comp games this isn't a problem. I do enough damage to either kill the enemy off or else they are limping hard enough that my team just needs a shot in to finish them off. But in dm, the same thing is happening, I'm getting supplemental damage, but that just means I lose out on the point.

I genuinely don't see what I can do differently when I'm landing nearly all my shots on a roadhog, brought down his nearly his whole bar (including breather), and then McCree just fires off the finishing blow from across the room

LiK

Skii

Fake edit: I've been playing Tracer exclusively in dm, just to be clear. I'm gonna see how I do with a burst damage character like Junkrat or roadhog

*shrug* maybe, but I don't see what I'm doing wrong when I'm making perfect progress to make a kill only for someone to swoop in out of the corner and land a single shot on the weakened enemy.

The only way I can see myself preventing that is to land literally ALL my shots and.... Well I can tell you thats not happening. I don't see myself getting that good. In comp games this isn't a problem. I do enough damage to either kill the enemy off or else they are limping hard enough that my team just needs a shot in to finish them off. But in dm, the same thing is happening, I'm getting supplemental damage, but that just means I lose out on the point.

I genuinely don't see what I can do differently when I'm landing nearly all my shots on a roadhog, brought down his nearly his whole bar (including breather), and then McCree just fires off the finishing blow from across the room

Tracer will struggle in FFA because she's not amazing vs 7 other DPS who can kill her within seconds. Characters like Tracer and Soldier will struggle as they are more suited to facing tanks and dont have burst. FFA is more suited to characters like Genji, McCree and Roadhog who all are good vs DPS. Even Winston is fairly decent.

_Legacy_

Tracer will struggle in FFA because she's not amazing vs 7 other DPS who can kill her within seconds. Characters like Tracer and Soldier will struggle as they are more suited to facing tanks and dont have burst. FFA is more suited to characters like Genji, McCree and Roadhog who all are good vs DPS. Even Winston is fairly decent.

The only way I can see Winston being decent is if he is constantly finishing off enemies that were damaged by other players. Could be an interesting strat to straight up kill-steal players who are running away with little hp.

LiK

FFA is just good warm up. Nice to win a lootbox on the side for winning but def a great place to mess around in before Comp.

maomaoIYP

First game of FFA, 20-7 as Roadhog.
Love it when there are like 5 seagull / shadowburn genji wannabes, and with the scoreboard you can see all of them are batting a negative k/d.

^ I have noticed that Deathmach has really separated the wheat from the chaff when it comes to Genji players, some folks are not so hot when they're not picking on supports all day long I guess.

Datamined brave heroes voice clips also include...

Roy's our Boy
You...like Ike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VFygrcuTOE

Ike for next new character, maybe he can also support by throwing vulneries at teammates.
His ult is an aether attack that causes extended not quite permadeath on the victim who has to wait forever to respawn, think of the salt!.

Veelk

Banned
Tracer will struggle in FFA

Tracer will struggle to win points, to be precise. In terms of actual gameplay, she's a fine choice and it's the best mode we have to practice mechanical skill, but because of the way the scoring system is designed, it's hard to win the game.

That's why I'm ranting about the scoring system. It's absurd. Having the score be based on who puts the last bullet into an enemy corpse means the entire system is based on kill stealing. I don't think it's at all fair that I can work my ass off to burn a Roadhog down to a sliver of his health with nothing but elbow grease, just for a rando to pop out of the corner and put him down and walk away with the point.

Which is why having the score system tell you how many assists you got is just a slap to the face on top of everything else. The system know you're putting in the work, it lets you know it, and then it laughs at you for it. Assists are worthless to the score. I was put into the bottom half in one game because another player got the latest kill. He was tied with me in kills, but I had more assists and fewer deaths. Yet he was put ahead of me because his kill was the latest. Assists only show up to mock you. If Jeff Kaplan said in the next Dev Update that it was put there to troll players, I'd tip my had to them because that is just on point.

And the solution to this is obvious. Base it on Elim percentage. You already have a notification pop up and tell you how much of the damage you did to a character is yours. If I put in 90% of the work, give me 90% of the point. This will open up the game to several characters, not just Tracer, because the mode right now is heavily biased towards burst DPS characters.

LiK

I just got home and didn't get to try it out when it was supposed to be broken. The aiming feels exactly the same as when I played it 24 hours ago. I use a mix of expo ramp and dual zone depending on character.

Sounds good. It did not feel the same last night.

Chance

And the solution to this is obvious. Base it on Elim percentage. You already have a notification pop up and tell you how much of the damage you did to a character is yours. If I put in 90% of the work, give me 90% of the point. This will open up the game to several characters, not just Tracer, because the mode right now is heavily biased towards burst DPS characters.

You didn't secure the kill - thats how it works on the streets!

Either way I think Tracer should be very strong for FFA. She's got the mobility to chase down folks dashing for health packs, and she can one-clip anything south of a Doomfist's life bar (and really, including Doom/Mei/Reaper if you can get all headshots).

Plus rewind for sustain, blink to escape...

Veelk

Banned
You didn't secure the kill - thats how it works on the streets!

Either way I think Tracer should be very strong for FFA. She's got the mobility to chase down folks dashing for health packs, and she can one-clip anything south of a Doomfist's life bar (and really, including Doom/Mei/Reaper if you can get all headshots).

Plus rewind for sustain, blink to escape...

The streets are cheapsakes then, because lots of players skate by picking up the scraps of other fights.

Hitting 100% of your shots isn't exactly easy. We're not all Effect here, man. Or even playing with a M/KB. And even pro tracers rely on the rest of their team to help them with damage.

LiK

The streets are cheapsakes then, because lots of players skate by picking up the scraps of other fights.

Hitting 100% of your shots isn't exactly easy. We're not all Effect here, man. Or even playing with a M/KB. And even pro tracers rely on the rest of their team to help them with damage.

Did you read my post? They fixed the aiming. You able to check since you seem to be hugely affected by it last night.

Also, really good Tracers can usually take out heroes pretty quickly on their own. Just need to work on your aim.

maomaoIYP

This is exactly what I'm talking about. LOL
Suck it crappy Genji wannabes. I played Zen just because.
DIe5PTLUMAAovm7.jpg:large

Veelk

Banned
Did you read my post? They fixed the aiming. You able to check since you seem to be hugely affected by it last night.

Also, really good Tracers can usually take out heroes pretty quickly on their own. Just need to work on your aim.

I fixed it before they did, atleast for Tracer. Unless they did a wholesale revert to what it was before, and now I have to readjust again....

And yeah, perfectly true, but if I had that kind of aim, I'd be in grandmaster. Like I said, not even pro's just one-clip everyone willy nilly.

And in any case, I don't feel this detracts from my overall argument. Okay, lets say I just suck. Fine. I'm still doing more than half damage on heroes before they die. That's why I get a high amount of assists consistently across several games. Then other people are getting away with kills because they do 12 HP worth of damage on a 10 HP hero. How is that an accurate representation of skill? It's not even possible to predict when someone is weak. Other than hearing the sounds of a fight and going there, you're encounters are almost entirely random. The map is small and anyone can be anywhere because there isn't an objective and people are just running around until they find someone. There's very little in the way of predicting who will show up where.

Scores based on elim percentage would be far more representative of how well someone is doing than what we have now, wouldn't it? And it would open the mode to non-burst damage heroes like tanks, who can do the work, but won't get credit for it under this system. That's the real point I'm making and I'm not hearing much of a counter argument on that front.

I played about 5 straight hours of FFA deathmatch on console. Didn't notice anything different with the aiming!

I curse out loud when someone steals my kill, but I do it out of frustration with myself. Played a lot of Tracer and Reaper with some McCree and Sombra here and there. Did great at times, pulling out first place victories, and also absolutely sucked other times, finishing near the bottom. Fun times!

Think I'll be playing a lot of it just so I get better at aiming as DPS.

LiK

I fixed it before they did, atleast for Tracer. Unless they did a wholesale revert to what it was before, and now I have to readjust again....

And yeah, perfectly true, but if I had that kind of aim, I'd be in grandmaster. Like I said, not even pro's just one-clip everyone willy nilly.

And in any case, I don't feel this detracts from my overall argument. Okay, lets say I just suck. I'm still doing more than half damage on heroes before they die. Other people are getting away with kills because they do 12 HP worth of damage on a 10 HP hero. How is that an accurate representation of skill? It's not even possible to really predict this. The map is small and anyone can be anywhere because there isn't an objective and people are just running around until they find someone.

Scores based on elim percentage would be far more representative of how well someone is doing than what we have now, wouldn't it?

Yea, Blizzard engineer said they reverted it back so it should feel the same as before. It wasn't supposed to change the feel with the default 0 setting. Looking forward to checking it out after work.

I'm not too hardcore about FFA. Just a fun mode to warm up and mess around in. Good to practice aim as well.

And in any case, I don't feel this detracts from my overall argument. Okay, lets say I just suck. Fine. I'm still doing more than half damage on heroes before they die. That's why I get a high amount of assists consistently across several games. Then other people are getting away with kills because they do 12 HP worth of damage on a 10 HP hero. How is that an accurate representation of skill? It's not even possible to predict when someone is weak. Other than hearing the sounds of a fight and going there, you're encounters are almost entirely random. The map is small and anyone can be anywhere because there isn't an objective and people are just running around until they find someone. There's very little in the way of predicting who will show up where.

Scores based on elim percentage would be far more representative of how well someone is doing than what we have now, wouldn't it? And it would open the mode to non-burst damage heroes like tanks, who can do the work, but won't get credit for it under this system. That's the real point I'm making and I'm not hearing much of a counter argument on that front.

I think this is silly. This Deathmatch mode is the exact same as every other Deathmatch mode in existence. Either you get the kill and get a point, or you don't and you don't. This mode was made literally to appease all the people playing Overwatch who go for most kills instead of team-based objective. Let the people obsessed with K/D have their fun arcade mode. It's not going to be a main mode where you can win or lose SR, so why try to "fix" it already when it's been live for less than 24 hours?

caesar

Banned

OW deathmatch is always going to have a luck component because of hero choice and no armour pickups etc. The only way to control the map is to camp healthpacks. One map you will get kills stolen, another map you will steal. Just be more accurate.

LiK

Reading feedback on Blizz forums and it looks like the console aiming is def fixed. Nice to see. I might use Aim-Ease to make aiming with a few heroes better tho. I did find it worked better with some heroes last night.

Owzers

Reading feedback on Blizz forums and it looks like the console aiming is def fixed. Nice to see. I might use Aim-Ease to make aiming with a few heroes better tho. I did find it worked better with some heroes last night.
Which heroes/what does it do exactly?

Veelk

Banned
I think this is silly. This Deathmatch mode is the exact same as every other Deathmatch mode in existence. Either you get the kill and get a point, or you don't and you don't. This mode was made literally to appease all the people playing Overwatch who go for most kills instead of team-based objective. Let the people obsessed with K/D have their fun arcade mode. It's not going to be a main mode where you can win or lose SR, so why try to "fix" it already when it's been live for less than 24 hours?

They're already considering Comp deathmatch, which I would think is as much as a confirmation, so yeah, I think you are gonna get SR points for it eventually.

Other deathmatch modes tend to start players off on an even footing, or atleast make it so each class has their own shot. Lawbreakers is similar to overwatch, but it differentiates itself in that each class is meant to be equally viable in terms of getting kills. That's not the case with overwatches characters, so citing every death match mode before it doesn't mean much. There's nothing, say, an orisa can do to kill faster than she can right now. Which is fine in normal objective based game modes, because she's not meant to be a primary DPS, but for a mode like FFA, it's a liability.

Look, I don't mind Death Match at all. I've played it a lot already and I'm mostly enjoying playing the game itself. But the score system is badly suited to it. And it will never be a perfect fit, no matter what they do, because OW wasn't designed to be this kind of game. But they can make it better.

And if I'm being honest, the K/D ratio obsession is why I didn't get into any MP until overwatch came around. It's Elim system is a godsend, so call by biased, but yeah, I want that instead of this.

LiK

DM and TDM are just fun modes to Blizzard. I don't believe they'll take it into Comp unless it some special event. They'll probably take it as seriously as CTF.

Skii

Tracer will struggle to win points, to be precise. In terms of actual gameplay, she's a fine choice and it's the best mode we have to practice mechanical skill, but because of the way the scoring system is designed, it's hard to win the game.

That's why I'm ranting about the scoring system. It's absurd. Having the score be based on who puts the last bullet into an enemy corpse means the entire system is based on kill stealing. I don't think it's at all fair that I can work my ass off to burn a Roadhog down to a sliver of his health with nothing but elbow grease, just for a rando to pop out of the corner and put him down and walk away with the point.

Which is why having the score system tell you how many assists you got is just a slap to the face on top of everything else. The system know you're putting in the work, it lets you know it, and then it laughs at you for it. Assists are worthless to the score. I was put into the bottom half in one game because another player got the latest kill. He was tied with me in kills, but I had more assists and fewer deaths. Yet he was put ahead of me because his kill was the latest. Assists only show up to mock you. If Jeff Kaplan said in the next Dev Update that it was put there to troll players, I'd tip my had to them because that is just on point.

Tracer struggles to win points, therefore she will struggle to win FFA. Thats a fact. This game mode is all about the final blow getting the kill which makes it great for certain burst characters that arent too great in comp like Widow or Hanzo. It doesn't need changing at all. Tracer is already the strongest DPS in quick play and competitive. No reason why she has to dominate FFA as well.

caesar

Banned
Tracer struggles to win points, therefore she will struggle to win FFA. Thats a fact. This game mode is all about the final blow getting the kill which makes it great for certain burst characters that arent too great in comp like Widow or Hanzo. It doesn't need changing at all. Tracer is already the strongest DPS in quick play and competitive. No reason why she has to dominate FFA as well.

Even then, shes still better than a lot of heroes in DM. Very winnable.

lmao that was beautiful, rein and genji mid-swing... you: "nope"

Genji did a Veelk and cried about me stealing.

Veelk

Banned

She wouldn't. Burst dps would still be able to do the work they do, it would just give sustain dps their due. This would only open doors for Tracer and other heroes, not close them for anyone currently.

I'm still not hearing an actual counter argument for why this wouldn't be the better system. I atleast don't consider "but then Tracer will be viable" to be one.

R0ckman

So with this new Mercy lets say Blizz said screw it and restored everyother support to their original states where they were really good, would there then be a situation where you could think about who you actually want to use or would it still be a no brainer (always choose support character x) thing?

Skii

She wouldn't. Burst dps would still be able to do the work they do, it would just give sustain dps their due. This would only open doors for Tracer and other heroes, not close them for anyone currently.

I'm still not hearing an actual counter argument for why this wouldn't be the better system. I atleast don't consider "but then Tracer will be viable" to be one.

Sorry when I say she struggles, I just mean she's not the best pick. She is still very viable. But your change would make her dominate the mode.

Kysen

Nah Tracer is one of the best heroes for FFA. If you can aim its easy kills. Get in get out with blinks/recall. No need to go after full hp targets at all.

Veelk

Banned
Sorry when I say she struggles, I just mean she's not the best pick. She is still very viable. But your change would make her dominate the mode.

I don't see how. She'd only be getting the share of the kill that she inflicts. She's still gotta be active to get in and get the damage.

And this isn't just about Tracer. All the heroes who rely on sustain fire will now have a fighting chance without removing the capacity of burst heroes. It won't be perfect, because Orisa's can only do so much regardless of circumstances. But I don't see the downside of this at all.

I'm still not sure anyone agrees with me here but I spent the last month saying that new Hog was gonna be a hassle to deal with.
And now it's here I'm feeling like I was right, like an eternal sponge of annoyance, combining him with that potential new Mercy sounds like a headache.

New Junkrat must also be a ball breaker in lower tiers of play, I feel for ya Bronze dudes.

Top Bottom