• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Spy

eh, you're better off posting that here. Gaming doesn't follow every tweak/change. People mentioned about it here already.
I felt if it's posted in the Gaming section, websites may start reporting it and it will spread awareness to users which in turn will lead to a faster response from Blizzard.

LiK

I feel like whenever I see a positive guy like Stylosa begin to succumb to the games overwhelming toxicity it's gonna end up like Dent in the Dark Knight or something.

He mentioned that depending on Season 6, he may or may not continue playing Comp more. I think he's itching to cover other games like PUBG more but OW is his bread and butter currently. I'm with him tho. If S6 is just as shitty as S5, I'm pretty much done. Got so many other games to play anyway.

I felt if it's posted in the Gaming section, websites may start reporting it and it will spread awareness to users which in turn will lead to a faster response from Blizzard.

Fair.

Kysen

Micro missiles are just so poor. They're not even a factor as of now. It's so hard to hit anything with them, there is a long delay, then they are slow and easy to dodge and they somehow decided they have to nerf the damage so if you even get close to land most of them, it's more likely that you lose your mech than get a kill. Aggro Dva is still trash. Tank Dva is half as good as before. I don't think there is any debate that this rework is just a massive nerf overall, now if she's still usable or not we have to see. So far with my time in PTR, I don't think so. I think you can do much better than picking Dva for 2 second DM and other times just keep feeding ult charge. Dive stuff probably won't work.
I don't get this reaction at all. How are the missiles hard to aim at Dva's correct damage distance? How is an extra 150 damage a nerf in any way? We lost 2 seconds on DM and that's it. 2 seconds and people are talking as if the character is instantly broken. It's like people were just holding right click and doing nothing all game.

LiK

I don't get this reaction at all. How are the missiles hard to aim at Dva's correct damage distance? How is an extra 150 damage a nerf in any way? We lost 2 seconds on DM and that's it. 2 seconds and people are talking as if the character is instantly broken. It's like people were just holding right click and doing nothing all game.

I agree, I feel like good DVa mains will be able to adapt. This doesn't seem as bad as Hog's nerf.

Pooya

play it, you will see. They're telegraphed quite obviously and they're sloooow and don't do much damage when half of them miss. Meanwhile, when you're in "correct damage distance", you're more vulnerable than they are. Think a bit, it's not complicated.

"2 seconds of DM", that is what the hero is right now. DM bot. Yes, her kit is broken now. It's not overreaction, it's basic math. You say lost only 2 second like it's not a big deal, 2 second is a long time in a fight that you have no defense at all. A tank that can't tank is shit.

So is there going to be a six-stack placement party on PS4 tonight? Or is everybody too disheartened/distracted by other games for that.

My most successful games as D.Va have been when I'm in the mix, getting 50+ elims and being aggressive while helping my team. While the games that are the worst and/or most boring are when I end up having to be a DM-bot because my team charges in recklessly and doesn't pay attention to proper positioning. I think I'm personally going to like the changes, although it will take getting used to.

fml. idk if i can play S6 right away if my router is acting up. updated the firmware and my ping is 50ms. that's what it was when I would use wifi. and spotty connection to top it all off.

paperlynx

2 seconds of DM is a lot more valuable than 160 damage, and you're not gonna land all the missiles anyway. She was a bit overpowered but they've gone too far with it, and I'm not a fan of trying to turn her into a dps offtank

_Legacy_

I'm going to wait until the weekend to do my placements, probably won't even be able to play until then anyway.

Looking forward to people posting their placement results, I'm interested to see how the new logic works.

randome

I wanna wait to do placements but I'll probably just do them the first day or two haha. I'll either solo or do it with a friend who I usually do good with.

Flash DM'ing is extremely useful and is the primary way to use it, but there
are ways in which the DM restriction will really, really hurt D.VA.

Eating long lasting ults (Pharah, reaper, Roadhog, soldier, etc)
Eating other lengthy damage (soldier in particular).

I know they wanted to get rid of that first one. I think it's the primary reason for the change. She can still eat Hanzo, Zarya, Mei ults, but this is D.VA felt unfair/unbalanced. A standard ability cancelling ults.

But she's going to have a really hard time staying in the tank now. Her hitbox is humongous and soldier can pretty much unload a clip into her and have a really good shot at demeching her now.

She's going to be an ult sponge like Roadhog if you don't play her differently / really carefully

Crzy1

I wanna wait to do placements but I'll probably just do them the first day or two haha. I'll either solo or do it with a friend who I usually do good with.
I waited last season and that seemed to be a mistake, but last season was just plain terrible all-around for me. Hoping this season won't cause me to quit a few hours into it. Definitely going to be turning off voice chat at the first sign of trouble this time.

I'll try to knock out some of my placements this evening before the weekend evening crowd shows up. I'm going to try to avoid playing any support that isn't Zenyatta, but I'm sure I'll get shoe-horned into Lucio, Ana and Mercy before too long.

Here's my thing with the D.Va changes. Even if she is really bad now in the long run her rework will be healthy for the game. Defense Matrix was an unfun and oppressive ability that lessened the quality of the matches and heavily restricted the hero pool. Some numbers changes are likely needed for her to become viable again post-rework, but when she sees play again the game will be in a healthier state.

Side note - RIP me if D.Va is as bad as everyone says she is as that would be two seasons in a row where my best hero gets nerfed to Oblivion. #SaveTheHog

Blues1990

I don't understand how Roadhog's new Take A Breather is supposed to neutralize his damage intake. Especially when most players will wait out and just batter him some more.

R0ckman

I don't understand how Roadhog's new Take A Breather is supposed to neutralize his damage intake. Especially when most players will wait out and just batter him some more.

Well he can move while using it, and waiting things out on a tank is wasting DPS time. You not doing anything waiting for it to end is translating to a few seconds of shooting into a barrier for instance.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

hook coming off cd. distractring a dps which is technically supposed to be a tanks role. to keep dps busy

The QP games I've tested the new changes in, I've used his Take a Breather as a mini-Fortify. Even if it's not super great, it serves the tank purpose of mitigating damage that could be going to other people. If a 76 is shooting at you as you're taking half damage, they're not shooting your support for full damage. Also gives you extra time for your hook to come back.

It's not great by any means, but it's a tactic.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The Junkrat double mine buff is mind bogglingly ridiculous, you can take out so many people with it and it's basically like the helix rocket on tap with less aim requirement.

Do you need to get number 1 in the FFA to get a check towards the weekly boxes or is it top 3? Because if it's the former that's dumb as hell.

Blues1990

Well he can move while using it, and waiting things out on a tank is wasting DPS time. You not doing anything waiting for it to end is translating to a few seconds of shooting into a barrier for instance.

It's nice to delay the invevitable, but he still wouldn't be able to do anything productive. Also, the way it incentives shooting something other than Roadhog is actually the complete opposite of being an anchor tank, which is what they are trying to turn Roadhog into.

hook coming off cd. distractring a dps which is technically supposed to be a tanks role. to keep dps busy

He still needs a reason to be picked over other off-tanks. He cannot body block much damage unless his E is further buffed to reduce damage for duration after it's usage.

LiK

Finally watching that interview Sty did with Scott Mercer about the changes and future ideas. Man, such a good interview into what they're working on or hope to work on.

R0ckman

It's nice to delay the invevitable, but he still wouldn't be able to do anything productive. Also, the way it incentives shooting something other than Roadhog is actually the complete opposite of being an anchor tank, which is what they are trying to turn Roadhog into.

He still needs a reason to be picked over other off-tanks. He cannot body block much damage unless his E is further buffed to reduce damage for duration after it's usage.

Well he seemed to work well paired with D.va in one of my matches, D.va would get in our face while RoadHog was not too far behind her, if she couldn't secure the kill he would hook and finish then heal up if he took too much damage during the process. Depending on what choices the players around me made would determine if they took much damage from the encounter.

LiK

Oh nice, I noticed the console aiming megathread someone made last night is now stickied in OW forums. That's very good for feedback.

Finally watching that interview Sty did with Scott Mercer about the changes and future ideas. Man, such a good interview into what they're working on or hope to work on.

The part that gives me hope is where he acknowledged that console Overwatch is different than pc Overwatch.

Blues1990

Scott Mercer (Principal Designer): For Doomfist, I mean there's been a lot of talk about the fact that it's like "Hey, you know he has this one-shot ability". And for us, especially because of the Roadhog change, and one of the things we talked about that was, we didn't like oneshot ability on (Roadhog). But we looked at it because of different circumstances, because Doomfist is an Offence hero, someone you expect like that. We've had, like other, quote "oneshot" heroes, like Widowmaker. But the weird thing with Roadhog, which I think made us thouroughly look at it was, because, he's supposed to be a "Tank". And like his gameplay style was turning into like anything-but. He was turning into this lone-wolf, flanker...

Stylosa (Unit Lost): So yeah, the way I've always seen it is Roadhog is like, a sort of "Area Control Tank". Should be within the team. And you need to "Respect the Hook" because he pulls you in and you die. And was that always the intention with Roadhog?

Scott Mercer:
That was always one vision of him, certainly. I mean like that was the most straightforward one for us, Yeah. Like I said, the gameplay style that "evolved" over time. Like that was the part where it was just like, "Hey, why is this big huge Tank flanking me.... and oneshotting me....".

Stylosa proposed that the Hook should be a zone control, and the hook should be respected (i.e. Powerful), and usually result in a kill for targets that are hooked. The current cooldown on hook was designed with the OHK in mind. Now, Hog feels terrible to play while while hook is on cooldown since he lacks power.

Since Scott seemed to agree with this, it gives me hope. :v;

R0ckman

Stylosa proposed that the Hook should be a zone control, and the hook should be respected (i.e. Powerful), and usually result in a kill for targets that are hooked. The current cooldown on hook was designed with the OHK in mind. Now, Hog feels terrible to play while while hook is on cooldown since he lacks power.

Why not give him an AOE bomb that creates a small wall of fire or something then? Maybe shooting through the wall reduces the damage for the enemy team, going through it does DOT, which this game lacks. What they have done now is just put him in this gimped purgatory of experimentation until they get him "right".

Since it doesn't look like we will get the old damage back I would like them to revert the hook cooldown back to 6s. It's the best part about the character after all.

Top Bottom