• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Internet died randomly right at the start of a match. I was back within 2 minutes or so but the match already cancelled. Suspended for 8 minutes and lost 50 SR. Never left a match before and haven't had an internet disconnect since season 4. That seems kind of harsh.

Cappa

Banned
Is it just a console thing or do players in general have no idea how you deal with sentry set ups? It's so annoying when teams are getting creamed by Bastion and Torb of all people.
It's a console thing that's why torbs turrets and Symmetras are nerfed on console.

Veelk

Banned
So is Reinhardt supposed to suck in DM? Because I've played 4 games and I got 3rd place once, 2nd place twice, and 1st place once.

That's the soul of overwatch. All these wierd, outlandish characters, and Soldier is just...CoD guy. The kind of character you could get in any FPS. If Soldier's role is to be the easy entry to the game, that's fine. If his role is to be the jack of all trades character, that's also fine. I just feel he's not a jack of all trades. Perhaps not a plague on the game, but I do think he's too good at everything he does.

That's a good point. The entry-level characters shouldn't be viable at higher levels, especially if they've identified OTPs as a problem (which Blizz has, kinda sorta).

I don't think he means you literally can't play, lol.

He means that it's an unenjoyable mess, which it is for the most part.

Yeah it's no fun playing solo, as it's far too random if you'll get a good group or not. Even worse is when you have team of solos up against two double stacks, or even worse... triple/quad stacks.

I kind of exaggerate my hate for him for comedic effect on here, but I legitimately do think that he isn't good for the game. He's boring to play, he's boring to play against. Everything is more interesting when he's not around. You know, back when the game was first out, Soldier wasn't as good or prominent in games I feel. I didn't mind him existing then, I just thought he was boring.

I took that to mean his intended role was like that of Bastion. He's good for new players who are looking for mechanical familiarity and easy to pick up until you realize that you should be playing the actually cool and interesting characters with the unique mechanics.

I still think he should fit in that role. I think that he should be characters pro-teams laugh at the idea of picking in a serious match because he's the character meant for newbies to ease themselves into the game, not a borderline mandatory pick. "No, pick Mei, she can freeze enemies and set up walls! Or Junkrat, he can litter the ground with traps and mines!"

That's the soul of overwatch. All these wierd, outlandish characters, and Soldier is just...CoD guy. The kind of character you could get in any FPS. If Soldier's role is to be the easy entry to the game, that's fine. If his role is to be the jack of all trades character, that's also fine. I just feel he's not a jack of all trades. Perhaps not a plague on the game, but I do think he's too good at everything he does.

lmao this entire post is so ass backwards. soldier is one of the higher skill requiring characters because he is the ONLY character in the game with legit hitboxes and requires the most precise aim and some spread management

Veelk

Banned
So, about that Mercy...

What about her? She's already getting a buff to raise her skill ceiling.

And just to clarify a point, I don't think Entry level characters should be useless. I'd love it if Bastion had more of a place in the game. I just don't think Soldier should be as dominant as he is right now.

lmao this entire post is so ass backwards. soldier is one of the higher skill requiring characters because he is the ONLY character in the game with legit hitboxes and requires the most precise aim and some spread management

He is? He does?

I must be amazing then, as I rock as Soldier more than any other DPS character!

Oh hey look we've got one of those OW kiddies trying to bring their toxic crap into OT. So because I'm not ranked #1 in the world I can't 'rock' at playing Soldier? Give over.

Jellie

And just to clarify a point, I don't think Entry level characters should be useless. I'd love it if Bastion had more of a place in the game. I just don't think Soldier should be as dominant as he is right now.

In what world is Soldier "dominant"?

Veelk

Banned
So you want him to be trash?

Well, I won't say no.....

But I thought he was perfectly viable when he was back at 17 dmg per bullet. I saw him in games and players pulled their weight with him. His lackluster damaged was tempered by the fact that he could heal at any time and sprint away infinitely and had a powerful ult, plus the very nature of his gun meant he could hit players accurately at mid-long range while most others have to get in close. Oh, and rockets, for when he really needs that extra damage. Players could be really good with him, but they had to try a lot harder than they do now.

At 20 dmg, he was oppressive. At 19, he's 'merely' an excellent choice in all situations. 17, I thought that was a good place for him. A good choice, but not better than the other options present.

Jellie

Well, I won't say no.....

But I thought he was perfectly viable when he was back at 17 dmg per bullet. I saw him in games and players pulled their weight with him. His lackluster damaged was tempered by the fact that he could heal at any time and sprint away infinitely and had a powerful ult, plus the very nature of his gun meant he could hit players accurately at mid-long range while most others have to get in close. Oh, and rockets, for when he really needs that extra damage. Players could be really good with him, but they had to try a lot harder than they do now.

At 20 dmg, he was oppressive. At 19, he's 'merely' an excellent choice in all situations. 17, I thought that was a good place for him. A good choice, but not better than the other options present.

With 17 damage he wasn't used much and was outclassed by mccree. When used, he was just charging support ult with trash damage. His ult was also trash at 17 damage. There's a reason he was buffed. He's a jack of all trades so can do those things but can't do ALL of them constantly. You act like he's constantly healing or using helix whenever he feels like it. If the soldier just uses them whenever he likes he'll end up dead fast. It just sounds like you're a Tracer main who can't deal with soldiers CDs.

no 17 dmg soldier literally didnt do anything. he was essentially like the nerfed roadhog where all he did was charge ults because of his trash dps.

Veelk

Banned
With 17 damage he wasn't used much and was outclassed by mccree. When used, he was just charging support ult with trash damage. His ult was also trash at 17 damage. There's a reason he was buffed. He's a jack of all trades so can do those things but can't do ALL of them constantly. You act like he's constantly healing or using helix whenever he feels like it. If the soldier just uses them whenever he likes he'll end up dead fast. It just sounds like you're a Tracer main who can't deal with soldiers CDs.

Maybe you're experience is different on PC, but on console, I saw him fairly often and he certainly wasn't worthless.

And in any case, I'm not a tracer main, nor do I even have particular trouble dealing with Soldiers now. After his damage was taken down from 20 to 19, he was no longer oppressive and I've said as much many times. I mean, you play him at 20 for 6 months, him at 19 is far more managable.

Still, without being overpowered or gamebreaking, I still think he's better than he should be right now, due to how his abilities combine. Yeah, you can't use just waste them, but it's not like rockets have a large cooldown and his sprint has no cooldown or even cost to using it and his healstation basically turns him into an offtank for the duration of an encounter.

I might be remembering it wrong but wasn't S76 pretty good before with 17 damage when his spread was god-tier?

I think. Atleast for a time, because I remember his spread being lessened to be a bit buff.

no 17 dmg soldier literally didnt do anything. he was essentially like the nerfed roadhog where all he did was charge ults because of his trash dps.

because he had 19 dmg as well iirc

im prolly wrong because this was beta times and i wasnt a twitch streamer

Around when the game was released, I think they nerfed his spread soon after iirc. If only I was a twitch streamer too then, I'm pretty sure I could remember exactly what happened.

Jellie

Maybe you're experience is different on PC, but on console, I saw him fairly often and he certainly wasn't worthless.

And in any case, I'm not a tracer main, nor do I even have particular trouble dealing with Soldiers now. After his damage was taken down from 20 to 19, he was no longer oppressive and I've said as much many times. I mean, you play him at 20 for 6 months, him at 19 is far more managable.

Still, without being overpowered or gamebreaking, I still think he's better than he should be right now, in combination with his abilities. Yeah, you can't use just waste them, but it's not like rockets have a large cooldown and his sprint has no cooldown or even cost to using it.

I think. Atleast for a time, because I remember his spread being lessened to be a bit buff.

I was a PS4 player during 17 damage soldier days for starters.
This was his pickrate when Ana got released back in S2 I think?

If he's not overpowered then why should he be nerfed/why is he better than he should be?
He's not overpowerd or gamebreaking ie he sounds balanced? Just because he plays relatively simple doesn't mean he should be trash

Veelk

Banned
If he's not overpowered then why should he be nerfed/why is he better than he should be?
He's not overpowerd or gamebreaking ie he sounds balanced? Just because he plays relatively simple doesn't mean he should be trash

Because the term overpowered has more extreme connotations than I am trying to convey. You can be relatively overly strong while not being so overly strong that you tip the scales too hard. That's what Soldier is to me. Not gamebreaking, but better than he should be.

And I as much as I would like for him to be irrelevant in the meta, making him trash isn't my goal here since there are players who like him and the game is not just about my personal preferences. However, if Soldier is going to have an infinite mobile ability AND a rocket that lets him burst kill AND a healing station he can pop down without a counter AND a powerful ult, then he should be doing damage in such a way that he needs those abilities to keep his head above water, as opposed to having really good damage and all that other stuff as a bonus.

I might be remembering it wrong but wasn't S76 pretty good before with 17 damage when his spread was god-tier?

No he was useless

you are driving this community apart

I made a reddit post just about people like you

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/6xs3au/bronze_players_are_part_of_this_community_too/

Ummm ok? I dont see much of a correllation. How about when somehow it matches gm with platinum and lower players and they instalock dps and exit voice chat every single time? Oh amd i wouldnt say nobody cares about low ranked players as the entire game is balanced soley around you guys. Hence the higher ranks having nothing but the same 7 character rotation in virtually every single game at any given time

Jellie

Because the term overpowered has more extreme connotations than I am trying to convey. You can be relatively overly strong while not being so overly strong that you tip the scales too hard. That's what Soldier is to me. Not gamebreaking, but better than he should be.

And I as much as I would like for him to be irrelevant in the meta, making him trash isn't my goal here since there are players who like him and the game is not just about my personal preferences. However, if Soldier is going to have an infinite mobile ability AND a rocket that lets him burst kill AND a healing station he can pop down without a counter AND a powerful ult, then he should be doing damage in such a way that he needs those abilities to keep his head above water, as opposed to having really good damage and all that other stuff as a bonus.

All of that can be countered though. Not sure how you think healing station can't be countered when Ana anti heal exists or boops from lucio, dva, winston etc can knock him out of it. He can be chased down easily despite his infinite sprint by heroes with better mobility. Rocket is his only reliable way of finishing a kill and relies on it landing/can be eaten. His ult can be countered with support ults/tank ults/eaten/body blocked/slept.

You couly say look at all the abilities x hero has as an argument to say they are too strong. Tracer has better mobility, higher burst damage and a better faster charging ult. Genji has better mobility, can reset his dash and snowball, has a better ult.

Play dva, simply hold down r mb and soldier is useless. You can even do it from behind the soldier which is so lol dumb and bad but yeah

As said above, tracer and genji are both higher tier and easier to be effective with than soldier v the majority of characters

pizzacat

Banned
Ummm ok? I dont see much of a correllation. How about when somehow it matches gm with platinum and lower players and they instalock dps and exit voice chat every single time? Oh amd i wouldnt say nobody cares about low ranked players as the entire game is balanced soley around you guys. Hence the higher ranks having nothing but the same 7 character rotation in virtually every single game at any given time

i wouldnt say they are balancing around us at least before, as a junkrat main i really enjoy the fact that they finally heard my pleas for justice since he was so useless before and I would use him just to get insults flung my way but now I am the god of silvers and next season I will be the god of gold

a gold god even

gl0w

This competitive stuff is so fucking bad.
Losing 25 sr for losses and winning 15? Or 10 for a win? Really?
Who in the world would think this is good or fair?
I will never rank up this way, it's impossible and I'm just dropping this game for good.

Prelude.

Because she's a character designed to be accessible to everyone, but since Blizzard has this thing where everyone has to be viable they kept buffing her until she became a must pick. And since she's so easy to play coupled with absolutely asinine sr adjustments Mercy became the go to character to climb ranks, so now you have bronze players in master. Her rework is ultimately an improvement over the current state of the character/Mercy mains because it'll readjust things and bad Mercys will drop sr, but there's nothing wrong with niche/"noob friendly" heroes being played less.
Maybe they can't afford it because the game doesn't have enough characters, but hopefully we'll get there.

Soldier is also a character specifically designed to feel familiar to a new player, hence why he's cod-man, but again, gotta buff him to make him viable.

Nepenthe

I pick Soldier when I'm backfilling a solid team and the extra damage can't hurt. His jack of all trades nature means that decent, more specialized characters can hit him in his appropriate weaknesses. I've been booped, sliced, hooked, and run over by mechs plenty of times and genuinely been useless several matches until a switch-off. If you're a good flanker or have god-like aim, then yeah he can be a problem. But shit, dude seems pretty balanced to me.

Leave Jack alone. He's suffered enough.

Sora_N

How does the ranking work?

I did placements, 2 losses and 1 draw. My rank is only 1269. My last season rank was shit, I'm thinking that affects it?

LiK

How does the ranking work?

I did placements, 2 losses and 1 draw. My rank is only 1269. My last season rank was shit, I'm thinking that affects it?

They made people place closeer to their rank last season. There are still some anomalies where some people are higher or lower but most are at the same as last season.

Sora_N

placements is 10 matches not 3

Ok, I'll rephrase. 2 losses, 1 draw and 7 wins. My rank seems low at 1269, that's what my friends said.

They made people place closeer to their rank last season. There are still some anomalies where some people are higher or lower but most are at the same as last season.

Yeah I figured then..I just have to play more. :/

Jellie

Ok, I'll rephrase. 2 losses, 1 draw and 7 wins. My rank seems low at 1269, that's what my friends said.

Yeah I figured then..I just have to play more. :/

It uses your previous season final rating. You should get placed around that. Some cases where it shoots up or down a lot though

Veelk

Banned
All of that can be countered though. Not sure how you think healing station can't be countered when Ana anti heal exists or boops from lucio, dva, winston etc can knock him out of it. He can be chased down easily despite his infinite sprint by heroes with better mobility. Rocket is his only reliable way of finishing a kill and relies on it landing/can be eaten. His ult can be countered with support ults/tank ults/eaten/body blocked/slept.

You couly say look at all the abilities x hero has as an argument to say they are too strong. Tracer has better mobility, higher burst damage and a better faster charging ult. Genji has better mobility, can reset his dash and snowball, has a better ult.

All perfectly true, but that doesn't really change my base preference or that I wouldn't want to see him in the game. And I feel I should clarify my goal in this debate, because I feel like we are trying to do two different things. You're trying to argue why the state of soldier is objectively healthy for the game as a whole, while I'm arguing why I think I would like overwatch better with him weakened.

Like I said, I'm not trying to make Soldier trash. In fact, other than stating a preference for when he was weaker, its' not like I'm even suggesting any changes made to him. I'm saying I don't like him and he's not good for the game for me. He's too strong for my tastes and I wish he was weaker than he is now. Your argument that he's balanced and has counters (I legit forgot about anti-heals since Ana never shows up on console, but I'd quibble about boops as a useful way of taking him out of his healing circle) are mostly valid.

But it doesn't really matter because his playstyle is still a detriment to the game for me. I'd prefer him weaker. But I'm not trying to convince you that you should prefer him weaker. And that's the major difference, if I was seriously pushing for an objective balance change, I'd have smaller ground to stand on. Instead, I'm mostly just explaining why I feel how I feel about him.

pizzacat

Banned
All perfectly true, but that doesn't really change my base preference or that I wouldn't want to see him in the game. And I feel I should clarify my goal in this debate, because I feel like we are trying to do two different things. You're trying to argue why the state of soldier is objectively healthy for the game as a whole, while I'm arguing why I think I would like overwatch better with him weakened.

Like I said, I'm not trying to make Soldier trash. In fact, other than stating a preference for when he was weaker, its' not like I'm even suggesting any changes made to him. I'm saying I don't like him and he's not good for the game for me. He's too strong for my tastes and I wish he was weaker than he is now. Your argument that he's balanced and has counters (I legit forgot about anti-heals since Ana never shows up on console, but I'd quibble about boops as a useful way of taking him out of his healing circle) are mostly valid.

But it doesn't really matter because his playstyle is still a detriment to the game for me. I'd prefer him weaker. But I'm not trying to convince you that you should prefer him weaker. And that's the major difference, if I was seriously pushing for an objective balance change, I'd have smaller ground to stand on. Instead, I'm mostly just explaining why I feel how I feel about him.
can i send some of this post to this twitter account

https://twitter.com/ScrubQuotesX

Top Bottom