• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

So with this new season am I able to do my placements and then just sit at the rank I got, or will it gradually decline if I don't play any more comp matches?

AFAIK, your QP MMR is only valid if youve never played comp before. Anne, trop or Ceasar might know better than me but its really odd if youve never been diamond before, and youve played prior comp seasons, that you get placed in diamond.

You never been in diamond ever?
Nope, and I've played every comp season since launch. I did get rank 63 during season 1 though, but placed in gold during season 2, probably because I grouped up with some friends that aren't very good at the game and have long stopped playing since.

Oh wait, I did place in diamond before
for Lucioball comp :p

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Low gold is the land of eternal tilt. I tried going seriously this season and it's just... Wow. I don't think anybody is having any fun. Everyone is tilted on both teams, all the time.

XaosWolf

No speed momentum when climbing walls.

I'm happy with that. Getting the wheels through smaller gaps has been a pain in the ass.
Had one go up a wall into a window in Kings Row and got stuck in the ceiling. >=/

Low gold is the land of eternal tilt. I tried going seriously this season and it's just... Wow. I don't think anybody is having any fun. Everyone is tilted on both teams, all the time.

Currently in the same area. (2180 season high right now)

We had a team yesterday who were all saying GLHF and being positive and by the end of round 1 there was a shit-talking Genji, a "We're losing" thrower that switched to Hanzo and a "This is My Main" Reaper refusing to switch.

It was kinda beautiful.

Mr Git

Nerfing Junk's Ult already. No biggie, still got double mines.

In a game last night on King's Row, the enemy Junk had his go over the wall at the choke and then start to fly. Tried to track it but such speed. I think he solo killed me with it too D:

NeoRaider

I feel like Junkrat was never in a bad place. I always thought that he is one of the better and well balanced heroes... maybe because i usually always do great with him.

I just don't understand these buffs. Ulti buff and especially giving him 2 mines... i am kinda confused and still trying to figure out why Blizzard did it.

Sure Ulting with him can be risky, but you can't just use your Ulti while being surrounded by 5 players from the enemy team and expect things to go as they should. You need good position and to think before Ulting, just like many other heroes do.

You would have won that last game in a 4 stack.

Best play out of my soloq games, though that's not me swearing on the clip after, my mic is always showing me talking when i'm not thoughhhhh i think it showed the zarya anyways...

https://clips.twitch.tv/BenevolentEnthusiasticMarrowDancingBanana

Also what's twitch doing with random name generators giving my clip dancing bananas?

I'm assuming that by best play you mean the charge that you actually nailed.

why would you ever charge in there

To serve as bait while the McCree was ulting.

All planned.

Lol but that shit is hilarious had a tire literally fly out of nowhere onto our entire team killing us all

Yeah broken af.

Played him a bit yesterday and having a mine basically every time I needed to secure a kill was pretty awesome.

Prelude.

Really hope the placements don't matter as much this time, I'm currently 1-2 but those two losses were really dumb. People are not really taking it seriously, and Mercy and Junkrat mains aren't making it better.

Just queued into someone called Pro Mercy that instalocked Mei on Ilios. Let's go.
Nope, he switched to Widow. And yes, he explicitly threw. 1-3. These people can't be banned fast enough.

That's enough for now. Three games in a row of this shit is a little too much.

Why do people pick tracer against a torb and sym defense? How does that make sense?

It's a good pick.

Tracer can easily track and destroy the teleporter/shield generator better than any character in the game. She can also just use a pulse bomb if the symmetra has turrets protecting it.

The turret can be annoying but she can delete Torb insanely fast because of his huge critical hitbox. Also if you know that Torb has molten core just pulse bomb the turret so your team can push and you can freely harass the backline.

Mr Git

Just done 3rd placement. Anubis on defence and we held them at the first choke until 2 of the enemy team left. Felt really sorry for the rest of their team. I was the only one not spawn stomping them. That's never cool.

I'm starting to see Spawn Stomping (or camping as we called it in our day) more and more in Overwatch now. I'm sure there are ways to counter it, but they certainly don't seem instinctive as people don't/can't do them.

Route 66 with Bastion, Junk, Ors, and Torb pounding away from behind shields with healing right in front of the spawns. Feels bad.

Mr Git

Someone left and we managed to hang on another 10 mins on Horizon. Then everything fell apart. Lost 4-3. I hate when it gets to that stage how quickly the point is taken. It's literally a couple of seconds.

I'm starting to see Spawn Stomping (or camping as we called it in our day) more and more in Overwatch now. I'm sure there are ways to counter it, but they certainly don't seem instinctive as people don't/can't do them.

Route 66 with Bastion, Junk, Ors, and Torb pounding away from behind shields with healing right in front of the spawns. Feels bad.

I'm old enough to still call it camping :p Overwatch seems to do it particularly heinously, but it's definitely more of a stomp when the teams are uneven. I really hope they do start properly punishing people who leave, it fucks everyone over.

... I can't be the only person playing Overwatch who wants Sym balanced out. She does insane damage, is annoying as hell, and has crazy abilities/ult in return for seemingly little effort.

... I can't be the only person playing Overwatch who wants Sym balanced out. She does insane damage, is annoying as hell, and has crazy abilities/ult in return for seemingly little effort.

I just hate how small her hitbox is honestly.

She crazy hard to hit sometimes when she's juking all over the place.

Nimby

Banned
Here is a list of all the counters to Symmetra:

Winston - can destroys all her turrets in less than a second, will usually win a 1v1
Tracer - Will usually win a 1v1, can easily locate and eliminate ultimates and turrets
Genji - Can easily locate and eliminate ultimates, will win a 1v1 if good at Genji
McCree - Stuns her, and easily eliminates her, just watch out for her shield.
Roadhog - Even nerfed Hog should take her out without much effort
Junkrat - Will always win 1v1 if he has mines and traps.
Doomfist - Punch her into the wall, EZ
D.Va - Can easily locate and destroy ultimates, melts her up close
Mei - Will always win 1v1 if Sym has no charge
Bastion - Melts her up close
Pharah - Hardest counter, Sym can't do anything against a Pharah pressuring her
Reaper - Melts her up close
Snipers - Kill her from a distance
Zenyatta - Can reliably 1v1 her if you have decent aim
Ana - Sleep dart = free kill in an average OW match
Reinhardt - Smack her three times if she killing someone
Zarya - Needs decent aim, but a good Zarya will kill the best Sym
Orisa - Same as Zarya
Soldier - Needs decent aim, but is hard to be killed by Sym because of sprint/heals
Torbjorn - Can melt her up close if decent

Trey

Winston - can destroys all her turrets in less than a second, will usually win a 1v1
Tracer - Will usually win a 1v1, can easily locate and eliminate ultimates and turrets
Genji - Can easily locate and eliminate ultimates, will win a 1v1 if good at Genji
Orisa - Same as Zarya
Soldier - Needs decent aim, but is hard to be killed by Sym because of sprint/heals

She basically loses to everyone 1v1 granted they're decent. Symmetra is well tuned to her ease of play, she's mostly dangerous if the team around her is.

It's fair to say symmetra simply makes an already lopsided matchup even more lopsided, which would be true of any character.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Orisa - Same as Zarya
"If decent" "needs decent aim"

what does the symmetra need in that matchup 🤔

Swig_

Yeah.. She's a little too strong. I think they need to nerf her basic attack. She shouldn't be able to solo DPS characters without even having to aim. She's a support and shouldn't be so strong while adding other value to the team with her other abilities.

Yeah.. She's a little too strong. I think they need to nerf her basic attack. She shouldn't be able to solo DPS characters without even having to aim. She's a support and shouldn't be so strong while adding other value to the team with her other abilities.

But she also shouldn't be completely defenseless just because she's a support. She only 1v1s a DPS if the beam is already charged from another kill

Veelk

Banned
Symmetra is only really as strong as her ability to be a ninja is.

It's easy to say you can 1v1 her in a match up, but a 1v1 is rarely the case in most game modes. And once she builds up her charge, then she's more likely to kill you than you are her, whatever your aim, and especially if she's smart enough to have thrown a shield up before charging you.

Not that I agree that she's unbalanced. Once I learn that the enemy team has a symmetra, then it is fairly trivial to counter her. I see her as a high risk-high reward sort of character. She is borderline useless at the start of any team fight, but if you give her an inch, she'll take a mile.

A list of counters with 'ifs' and 'buts' meanwhile Sym just holds down left trigger and auto aim melts everyone.

Yeah, I get it there are 'counters', but they take effort and ability. What I was saying is that Sym gets away with being able to do a lot without much effort.

Phii

Banned
Symmetra is an essential team player no matter the gamemode because she's a healer's best friend who always got them covered from flankers and her constant damage dealing in the heat of a battle at the objective is gold worth.

Cannonfodder when alone but a hero we all fear when she's positioned with her team

Trey

Why is the Sym 1v1ing people? That's not how you play her...

True, but it's her most optimal setting. In team play she's nothing more than a gimmick, because her ults do little to counter the enemy ults, and she has horrible utility in a team fight.

Your best best is running around in a scrum holding m1, and hoping the other team can't aim.

Not to say she isn't viable in most tiers: everyone is viable in solo queue. It's simply that her capability is marginal, and more annoying than strong. Her win rate and pick rate is disastrous in almost every tier for these reasons.

True, but it's her most optimal setting. In team play she's nothing more than a gimmick, because her ults do little to counter the enemy ults, and she has horrible utility in a team fight.

Your best best is running around in a scrum holding m1, and hoping the other team can't aim.

Not to say she isn't viable in most tiers: everyone is viable in solo queue. It's simply that her capability is marginal, and more annoying than strong. Her win rate and pick rate is disastrous in almost every tier for these reasons.
TP counters pretty much every ult... it's very similar to a Rez. Not to mention tossing a shield counters quite a bit, it'll kill a barraging Pharah, annoy the shit out of a sniper or soldier if you spam him with it, nullify a DVa or McCree ult, fucks with reapers, soldiers and quite a few other ults. My win rate for her is very high.... second only to my Lucio I believe. She just earned herself my 5th golden gun because of it even tho I don't play her that often, she's a situational pick 100%. Only run her in defensive situations and usually alongside a Mercy.

Trey

TP counters pretty much every ult... it's very similar to a Rez. Not to mention tossing a shield counters quite a bit, it'll kill a barraging Pharah. My win rate for her is very high.... second only to my Lucio I believe. She just earned herself my 5th golden gun because of it, she's a situational pick 100% tho. Only run her in defensive situations and usually alongside a Mercy.

I actually misspoke on win rate, it's inflated because most people switch off symmetra after losing the first point, which lampshades potential losses.

But as for shield generator, any ult wipe renders it inert, and 75+ shields aren't stopping most ult wipes. TP is more efficient given there is back and forth, and it gives you spawn avatantage.

Mr Git

I like Sym but if I find the enemy team is even slightly competent at countering her I'll switch quickly. There's other maps where I just switch after first point has been lost but generally her teleporter is still extremely good on some maps. I've realised I can reliably play her in QP but not so much in comp unless I get really lucky.

I actually misspoke on win rate, it's inflated because most people switch off symmetra after losing the first point, which lampshades potential losses.

But as for shield generator, any ult wipe renders it inert, and 75+ shields aren't stopping most ult wipes. TP is more efficient given there is back and forth, and it gives you spawn avatantage.
Tossing a shield = her barrier not her shield generator.

Chance

I think I may have stumbled across a way to "reset" your SR in comp.

I peaked at like 2600 in Season 2 - the last season I really tried. I don't think I even broke Platinum in 3 and 4 - just placing, landing in Gold and being satisfied with it, and as I recall I was pretty close to Silver at one point in Season 4, but I didn't play anything beyond my placements.

I didn't place at all in Season 5. Did two placement matches and walked away 'cause of the placing-you-200-points-lower thing - didn't want to bother.

So last night I did all my Season 6 placements in a 2-stack with my brother - did not play anywhere approaching my best, and went 4W 5L 1D. Ended in Plat, 2715, which blows my mind a little.

I haven't been in Plat in almost a full year. It's such a difference from where I last placed (S4), that I wonder if not placing in Season 5 did me some favors. Maybe if you stay out of comp for a season it does a new fresh placement calculation for you?

Trey

I think I may have stumbled across a way to "reset" your SR in comp.

I peaked at like 2600 in Season 2 - the last season I really tried. I don't think I even broke Platinum in 3 and 4 - just placing, landing in Gold and being satisfied with it, and as I recall I was pretty close to Silver at one point in Season 4, but I didn't play anything beyond my placements.

I didn't place at all in Season 5. Did two placement matches and walked away 'cause of the placing-you-200-points-lower thing - didn't want to bother.

So last night I did all my Season 6 placements in a 2-stack with my brother - did not play anywhere approaching my best, and went 4W 5L 1D. Ended in Plat, 2715, which blows my mind a little.

I haven't been in Plat in almost a full year. It's such a difference from where I last placed (S4), that I wonder if not placing in Season 5 did me some favors. Maybe if you stay out of comp for a season it does a new fresh placement calculation for you?

Blizzard changed the SR calculation.

Top Bottom