• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

LiK

I don't mind playing though I'm kinda tired today. Also since my ned account dropped so much I don't think it's a good idea to have a smaller stack since the average will be pretty low which means the randoms are most likely going to be trash.

It will be pretty good if we have a big stack though, with me and pinku on the group the average will go down by a lot.

I've been looking at my PS+ collection this past days since I'm kinda burned out of OW and yesterday I was completely addicted to a game called "10 Second Ninja X". Pretty short game (4-5h) but it's super fun.

Yea, I beat Cosmic Star Heroine and Read Only Memories. Two awesome games. Been slightly burned out from shitty Comp and
some members
here.

Just logged on and Owzers isn't even on

Blues1990

They've held that stance for the longest time, but the only differences so far are the reduced Torbjorn and Symmetra turret damage since launch, hasn't it?

Yeah, they definitely need to change the hit scan for console. And the sooner they do it, the better.

Owzers

Yea, I beat Cosmic Star Heroine and Read Only Memories. Two awesome games. Been slightly burned out from shitty Comp and
some members
here.

Just logged on and Owzers isn't even on

Didn't say I was! I'll save and start overing for a couple.

I've been looking at my PS+ collection this past days since I'm kinda burned out of OW...

I did the same thing yesterday!
All those years and years of games I got free on PS+ but never actually downloaded. Spent a good half hour going through them... and then put in Uncharted 4 for a replay. Because I'm a sad person like that. Still haven't played Brothers, and that almost got my attention.

At least my son discovered and beat Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion because of it, so it wasn't a total loss.

Lulz jesus.

What's the better option, overbuff?

Overbuff and MasterOverwatch are both better.

Oversumo has me at a Diamond Zen and a mid-Plat DVa. I'm a mid-gold player who plays mainly those two characters, and my SR gains and losses mean Overwatch thinks that's pretty much where I belong. I appreciate the ego-boost though.

I think it's because OSumo does its stats per death, rather than by time played, and my one superior skill is staying alive.

Overbuff and MasterOverwatch are both better.

Oversumo has me at a Diamond Zen and a mid-Plat DVa. I'm a mid-gold player who plays mainly those two characters, and my SR gains and losses mean Overwatch thinks that's pretty much where I belong. I appreciate the ego-boost though.

I think it's because OSumo does its stats per death, rather than by time played, and my one superior skill is staying alive.

Cool thanks, never knew about masteroverwatch.

And hey, I'm finally getting around to playin the story of U4, just hit Madagascar and it's gettin good.

And hey, I'm finally getting around to playin the story of U4, just hit Madagascar and it's gettin good.

Madagascar (and the rest of the game) is really fun, and I had a great time saying goodbye to all the characters. I usually prefer brain-dead combat and tough exploration mechanics (think original Tomb Raiders), and UC has always been the opposite, but I'll be damned if good characters, beautiful locations, and a fun story can't carry a lot of weight for me.

Great game

Yeah, the amount of downtime doesn't lend itself well to replays but it's a pretty good action-adventure game since both the action and the sense of adventure are better than the other 3 games.

I actually haven't played OW in a while, I've been catching up on my backlog as well. On Evil Within now (with some Wasteland 2 on PC here and there) and they're both amazing and I feel stupid for waiting so long to play them.

Yeah, the amount of downtime doesn't lend itself well to replays but it's a pretty good action-adventure game since both the action and the sense of adventure are better than the other 3 games.

I actually haven't played OW in a while, I've been catching up on my backlog as well. On Evil Within now (with some Wasteland 2 on PC here and there) and they're both amazing and I feel stupid for waiting so long to play them.

I played UC4 at release, and this replay is zipping right along (I just got to Scotland). We'll see when it gets to some of the more draggy parts (like Scotland).

I actually have Breath of the Wild for WiiU that I haven't even touched yet, and I know how stupid I'm going to feel when I actually get into it. Uncharted just felt right for whatever reason.

Fugu

Lulz jesus.

What's the better option, overbuff?
The truth is that the stats that the game tracks are relatively useless. If I played as Pharah in a gold game then my stats would be ridiculous because I'd be stomping people and oversumo and overbuff alike would report that I'm in the ninenty-somethingth percentile for elims and whatnot.

The point is that these secondary stats chart relative performance and because they don't control for... anything will often go down when you increase in rank, not up. I get like four barrage kills a game because people shoot Pharah before she can finish her ult at my rank. If I ulted more, I'd be a worse Pharah.

The only stat you should care about is win rate.

The truth is that the stats that the game tracks are relatively useless. If I played as Pharah in a gold game then my stats would be ridiculous because I'd be stomping people and oversumo and overbuff alike would report that I'm in the ninenty-somethingth percentile for elims and whatnot.

The point is that these secondary stats chart relative performance and because they don't control for... anything will often go down when you increase in rank, not up. I get like four barrage kills a game because people shoot Pharah before she can finish her ult at my rank. If I ulted more, I'd be a worse Pharah.

Yeah I can understand that, my win rates are quite skewed this season from a 'barrage' lulz, of leavers, trolls, and strait up throwers.

Was just lookin for something to show me my weaknesses for each hero.

Fugu

Yeah I can understand that, my win rates are quite skewed this season from a 'barrage' lulz, of leavers, trolls, and strait up throwers.

Was just lookin for something to show me my weaknesses for each hero.
(Un)fortunately, the factors that actually lead to wins are too abstract to be reflected by such basic stats. If you're trying to get better, I think the best thing you can do is think critically about your own play and the things you do that have caused you to succeed (or not succeed).

(Un)fortunately, the factors that actually lead to wins are too abstract to be reflected by such basic stats. If you're trying to get better, I think the best thing you can do is think critically about your own play and the things you do that have caused you to succeed (or not succeed).

Stats are helpful to learn what you may be doing wrong. I was a DVa main pre-nerf, and moved to Zen after. Survivability became a huge issue- I was a bulldog-style DVa, get in someone's face and blast them, fly away and heal, repeat.
I was going Battle Zen, wading in to the heat of the fight, and it wasn't working wins-wise. I looked at my stats and saw I had a decent handle on most of them, but horrible deaths stats. I worked on survivability and got much, much better at staying alive, and my DVa now is equally good at staying back, blocking and peeling for my team, and living longer.

Don't take stats as the ultimate judge of your ability, but looking for red flags can be extremely helpful.

LiK

Stats are helpful to learn what you may be doing wrong. I was a DVa main pre-nerf, and moved to Zen after. Survivability became a huge issue- I was a bulldog-style DVa, get in someone's face and blast them, fly away and heal, repeat.
I was going Battle Zen, wading in to the heat of the fight, and it wasn't working wins-wise. I looked at my stats and saw I had a decent handle on most of them, but horrible deaths stats. I worked on survivability and got much, much better at staying alive, and my DVa now is equally good at staying back, blocking and peeling for my team, and living longer.

Don't take stats as the ultimate judge of your ability, but looking for red flags can be extremely helpful.

The biggest problem playing in solo q or even duo q from tonight was how quickly people died. Some people really don't know when to retreat or stick with the group.

I definitely know I get impatient and die more than I should when I'm tanking.

When healing I sometimes get frustrated when I'm forced to sit back and watch as the house burns down.

When I'm on dps I...rarely get to go dps this season lulz. There's always 3-4 instalocked.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Two games in a row i was called bad for "not getting ult all this time" when my ult was a shield gen that was getting targeted and defended like crazy, and is why the game was so easy defending for 5 minutes for everyone else. I'm sorry i died and let it get killed once.

Oh well, won both games anyway. Still kinda liking this Shield gen most of the time plat and below because grouping is too difficult strategy. Not entirely sure about it, but also not entirely sure teleporter on first point defense all the time is right either.

Currently at 2300 SR.

I wonder if we'll get a double xp weekend every event now.

edit:
I wish people would reel themselves in a little. Just because the tide has turned in KotH doesn't mean you should try following them to their spawn. I hate when my team gets so confident from a great defense that they decide to break away and push forward. Don't do that!

Stupid question purely for my own edification (I'm not a cop, I would totally tell you if I was, pinky swear):

How many of you play after a beer (or other drink) or two? How many blaze up before playing (if you're in a state where that's legal, because no one would ever smoke in any other state)?

I'm really bad when I drink, but I've been thinking about some edibles before playing, and wondering if that might help my Comp jitters a little (I live in Oregon, so I have lots of legal edible options).

Anyway, just wondering how Gaffers go about their business, and again, totally NOT a cop.

edit:
I wish people would reel themselves in a little. Just because the tide has turned in KotH doesn't mean you should try following them to their spawn. I hate when my team gets so confident from a great defense that they decide to break away and push forward. Don't do that!

Answer to Part 1: they will if the community bitches as much as they did last event.

Answer to Part 2: I have lost so many games where we were winning and my team thought we were gonna steamroll and spawn-camped and we lost. So. Many.
NEVER SPAWN-CAMP! Chase to stagger, but get the fuck back as soon as possible. Please. Your loyal Zen deserves better than hanging on the point and getting gang-fucked by 5 enemies because you had to show your dominance.

Owzers

Stupid question purely for my own edification (I'm not a cop, I would totally tell you if I was, pinky swear):

How many of you play after a beer (or other drink) or two? How many blaze up before playing (if you're in a state where that's legal, because no one would ever smoke in any other state)?

I'm really bad when I drink, but I've been thinking about some edibles before playing, and wondering if that might help my Comp jitters a little (I live in Oregon, so I have lots of legal edible options).

Anyway, just wondering how Gaffers go about their business, and again, totally NOT a cop.

I drink water and sometimes eat yogurt when I play, that's why I'm a pro.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Answer to Part 1: they will if the community bitches as much as they did last event.

Answer to Part 2: I have lost so many games where we were winning and my team thought we were gonna steamroll and spawn-camped and we lost. So. Many.
NEVER SPAWN-CAMP! Chase to stagger, but get the fuck back as soon as possible. Please. Your loyal Zen deserves better than hanging on the point and getting gang-fucked by 5 enemies because you had to show your dominance.

I hate getting in those catch 22s of wondering if I should stay on point or help spawn camp.

I have lost games where I'm pretty sure I could have won if I just followed my team as they go way too far up.

I hate getting in those catch 22s of wondering if I should stay on point or help spawn camp.

I have lost games where I'm pretty sure I could have won if I just followed my team as they go way too far up.

I have been there, and you are absolutely right, but I will die before I encourage truly bad habits. There are times where I will sigh and join my team in some ill-advised adventure, but spawn-camping isn't one of them. Fuck them, they need to learn.

Fugu

I don't know. Stats don't really reflect your ability to make plays or ult at the right time, and these are things that win games.

I think thoughtful analysis makes a much bigger difference.

I don't know. Stats don't really reflect your ability to make plays or ult at the right time, and these are things that win games.

I think thoughtful analysis makes a much bigger difference.

We are talking completely different levels here. When you're Gold/Plat, stats can help. I wouldn't know what the higher levels can gain from them, but at low levels you can look for places where you're below the norm. And it helped me, so anecdotally, examining your stats can improve your SR.

Fugu

We are talking completely different levels here. When you're Gold/Plat, stats can help. I wouldn't know what the higher levels can gain from them, but at low levels you can look for places where you're below the norm. And it helped me, so anecdotally, examining your stats can improve your SR.
That's all well and good but your stats will invariably shit the bed when your competition becomes competent, and it won't be because you're playing worse.

Decisionmaking is what separates good players from bad, not elims or any other stat. You might as well just be direct and work on that.

Yeah when I group with higher sr friends to play QP or wutever I always tell them to call me out on dumb shit I may do.

So if I play with any of you guys/chicks and ya see me doin somethin stupid, put me on blast, you not gonna hurt my feelings.

MCD

I had a player (tracer) telling me to focus on him/her yesterday because he was a master last season.

I said OK but little did he know that I have only just started playing Zen. Lol. I was in comp to test him out.

We lost in the end but not because of me. Our Zarya didn't cooperate with said tracer.

LiK

Two games we could've won with Owzers , I blame the Zarya random. Used the Ult command but she never used it. Da fuck.

Two games we could've won with Owzers , I blame the Zarya random. Used the Ult command but she never used it. Da fuck.

Lulz fuck that, I'm firing my grav when I see heals and dps together immediately...unless someone tryin combo, then I'll hold it for a little bit.

_Legacy_

edit:

I see this far often than I'm comfortable with, especially those who do it when the other team is on 90-99%. If it's 2-0 and you're closing the game out, fine but if they have at won at least one round, I don't like it.

I've gained 1400 SR just by taking the game more seriously the past few weeks. It is really starting to bum me out that people are using terms that I'd usually hear in MOBAs (carry, support, roamer). I quit Dota to get away from that rigid mentality and bitching about roles. Guess I should just quit ranked while I'm ahead.

edit:
I don't think so. It's a concession to the current state of loot boxes. With the changes on the PTR double XP might be too generous.

_Legacy_

I've gained 1400 SR just by taking the game more seriously the past few weeks. It is really starting to bum me out that people are using terms that I'd usually hear in MOBAs (carry, support, roamer). I quit Dota to get away from that rigid mentality and bitching about roles. Guess I should just quit ranked while I'm ahead.

Then you must get triggered every time you get to the character select and see the heroes in the 'support' section. I haven't really seen a lot of people refer to characters as 'carry' but they do say they have carried the team.

Yeah, I guess you should just quit while you're ahead! The game is an MOBA-style FPS. There will no getting away from those terms, especially support lol.

Then you must get triggered every time you get to the character select and see the heroes in the 'support' section. I haven't really seen a lot of people refer to characters as 'carry' but they do say they have carried the team.

Yeah, I guess you should just quit while you're ahead! The game is an MOBA-style FPS. There will no getting away from those terms, especially support lol.
It's not so much the terms. It is the idea that if you don't fit into this narrow idea of what team composition should be that you're flamed. It's becoming a toxic MOBA style community.

I did the same thing yesterday!
All those years and years of games I got free on PS+ but never actually downloaded. Spent a good half hour going through them... and then put in Uncharted 4 for a replay. Because I'm a sad person like that. Still haven't played Brothers, and that almost got my attention.

At least my son discovered and beat Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion because of it, so it wasn't a total loss.

lmao I do the same thing all the time but with Bloodborne.

I downloaded a lot of games but after trying them it was delete after delete. 10 Second Ninja X was the only one that actually clicked.

Bad hanzo complaining dive comp wasn't working was the best.

That sounds like OW.

Like the other stats, even win rate can vary a lot from season to season without the way you play changing. They are just different games with different teams.

That's why I don't really pay attention to them anymore.

This is definitely the most important thing imo.

Positioning, ult management and target selection being some of the most important things. Though in some games it doesn't really matter if you pay attention to this stuff because both teams are all over the place, it's a different kind of OW down there.

Top Bottom