• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Seems win/loss streaks are well and truly gone on seasoned accounts. Gaining 20SR per win even when on a 7 game streak.

Yeah, so at a 60% winrate you gain an average of like 5 SR a game, meaning it takes 100 games to go up one rank.

Seems like too slow for a game that has a lot of epiphany moments in the grind up, such as getting your aim just to the point where you're doing 100% of damage in one clip instead of 90%, or having zoning or rotations click.

im sitting at 52% WR with like 280 games this season. just demoralizing to get on a good win streak only to get a lose streak right after. idk how many games i have to play just to get it back up. sometimes i feel like it won't go back up but so far i'm still climbing. but fuck me still. pair me up with a few tanks and dps lol.

Gorillaz

Had like a 8 game streak a few days ago and nothing really kicked in, in terms of gaining more sr then usually that's of course due to that update awhile back

Like honestly comp is just in a space where it's too many "it would be this but instead it's this" situations right now. From top to bottom. I'm burnt out on the actually system itself then the gameplay.

Yeah, so at a 60% winrate you gain an average of like 5 SR a game, meaning it takes 100 games to go up one rank.

Seems like too slow for a game that has a lot of epiphany moments in the grind up, such as getting your aim just to the point where you're doing 100% of damage in one clip instead of 90%, or having zoning or rotations click.

I've started maining D.VA, who at my rank (gold) is the second most picked hero. To actually rank up, you need to do better than "average" players at your rank for your character.

according to https://www.overbuff.com/heroes
Elims /G 26.83
Obj. Kills /G 12.78
Obj. Time /G 02:08
Damage /G 11,348
E:D Ratio 3.5

My stats are slightly better than those, but I inevitably lose more than I gain by a few points, so winning one, losing one, actually drops me down somewhat.

I can see how maining a less popular character would allow you to game the system in this case. What I'd be interested in knowing is what stats are really important for D.VA according to Blizzard? Damage Blocked? Damage? Destruct Kills? Mech Recalls?

I play her very much to block critical damage to teammates, eating ults, knocking characters off of high ground, but I'm not sure how that can translate to S.R. very effectively. I do win 55% of the time with her, so I'm sure the best thing to do is win more often, but as a solo/duo queue, many times I can't help when we're getting worked, although i do feel like there are clear times I carry/lead the team.

finalflame

Fuck, summer Overwatch sucks. It's all children playing comp and squeaking all over voice chat :( I don't remember it being this bad last year.

MCD

zjaxkxoeve7z.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoodSmile_US/status/881916856763731968

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I would like to see more NOT Nendoroid OW figures

even the NECA HOTS figures were really well done. Pump that shit out quicker.

MCD

I laughed when the whole crowd screamed wanting D.Va to be the next Nendoroid after Mercy, when asked to the audience what character they wanted to see next.

I would personally want Lucio and Zarya, but seeing a tiny version of her MEKA mech would be pretty cool.

I prefer if we get pvc figures from goodsmile or alter instead of expensive statues from Blizzard.

rulerk1

after my win streak from earlier today i decided to play some more today. Had a Hanzo main who played him didnt combo ults with Zarya and just did absolutely nothing on defense. When we attacked someone stole it from him but he got hanzo back later and continued to shit the bed. College kids are just horrible.
Also I kid you not, no one on my team could kill anyone without using an ult. The only exception being me and the Zarya player. Our Mccree could only kill with Deadeye. Wacky matches today

Blues1990

I would like to see more NOT Nendoroid OW figures

even the NECA HOTS figures were really well done. Pump that shit out quicker.

GoodSmile are producing Overwatch figurines for their Figma line, as Tracer and Genji are confirmed for this line up (so far).

I prefer if we get pvc figures from goodsmile or alter instead of expensive statues from Blizzard.

I prefer the chibi versions of the Overwatch cast, but to each their own.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I've started maining D.VA, who at my rank (gold) is the second most picked hero. To actually rank up, you need to do better than "average" players at your rank for your character.

according to https://www.overbuff.com/heroes
Elims /G 26.83
Obj. Kills /G 12.78
Obj. Time /G 02:08
Damage /G 11,348
E:D Ratio 3.5

My stats are slightly better than those, but I inevitably lose more than I gain by a few points, so winning one, losing one, actually drops me down somewhat.

I can see how maining a less popular character would allow you to game the system in this case. What I'd be interested in knowing is what stats are really important for D.VA according to Blizzard? Damage Blocked? Damage? Destruct Kills? Mech Recalls?

I play her very much to block critical damage to teammates, eating ults, knocking characters off of high ground, but I'm not sure how that can translate to S.R. very effectively. I do win 55% of the time with her, so I'm sure the best thing to do is win more often, but as a solo/duo queue, many times I can't help when we're getting worked, although i do feel like there are clear times I carry/lead the team.

Game Jammin did an analysis for Support SR boosts last week, and will be doing one for tanks next. It's nothing anyone should change their playstyle over, but is interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...rwatch_data_analysis_stats_for_wins_vs_stats/

Ana gets rewarded for just playing Ana. Especially for offensive assists.

Lucio gets punished for infinite objective stall playstyle and rewarded for leaving speedboost on and getting a ton of kill assists.

Mercy gets rewarded for being on fire and damage boost assists, and punished for playing the objective. In other words, the system likes the hide and revive mercy and the pharmercy, but dislikes the field medic mercy.

Syms gets punished just for playing Sym, especially the solo kill/final blow style. And quite a lot too. She is hurt even more than hide and revive mercy is helped.

Zenyatta gets rewarded for eliminations and discord assists.

Game Jammin did an analysis for Support SR boosts last week, and will be doing one for tanks next. It's nothing anyone should change their playstyle over, but is interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...rwatch_data_analysis_stats_for_wins_vs_stats/

Lucio gets punished for infinite objective stall playstyle and rewarded for leaving speedboost on and getting a ton of kill assists.

Mercy gets rewarded for being on fire and damage boost assists, and punished for playing the objective. In other words, the system likes the hide and revive mercy and the pharmercy, but dislikes the field medic mercy.

Syms gets punished just for playing Sym, especially the solo kill/final blow style. And quite a lot too. She is hurt even more than hide and revive mercy is helped.

Oh wow.

Seems broken all around honestly.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
GoodSmile are producing Overwatch figurines for their Figma line, as Tracer and Genji are confirmed for this line up (so far).

They've only had 2 announced. Their figma lines are notorious for getting delayed and slow coming out

by the time they get a 3rd figure out, they'll have every hero with a nendoroid and OW2 will be announced

antitrop

I still climbed to GM with a Mercy and Lucio play style that the SR system actively discourages against (Field Medic Mercy, Heal Aura Lucio). My Ana and Zen both lined up with it, though (high Offensive Assists for Zen and high Healing/Assists for Ana).

Time on Fire seems like a really dumb stat to care about for Mercy.

My experience playing Mercy last season was that I would win the game, but the enemy Mercy would get POTG for some 4-5x hiding Rez. It happened a lot. I think my playstyle is better, but the SR system doesn't. Again, I was still able to climb regardless.

Nimby

Banned
Sym getting absolutely shat on SR gain was proven when Stevo did his bronze to GM this season. Definitely suspect and surprised it is allowed to continue this way if the stats are accurate

Blues1990

Sym getting absolutely shat on SR gain was proven when Stevo did his bronze to GM this season. Definitely suspect and surprised it is allowed to continue this way if the stats are accurate

Yeah, this is another reason why we need a fixed SR gain/loss.

X-Frame

Very interesting. I'm curious about the Tank analysis coming next since that is what I prefer to play the most, now with Winston and D.Va as the picks I want to learn and practice the most.

finalflame

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where I can go to catch back up with competitive/pro Overwatch? Maybe with a schedule of matches?

I know the official 2017 cup is coming up soon, but I used to always watch weekend/weekday tournaments and whatnot but I fell off for a while.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just hit lv 70. Other than starting over and getting a star under your portrait, does getting to lv 100 have any perks?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
OW really needs a better pinging system like HOTS has like;

Lucio wants to kill Teleporter
Winston wants to kill Mercy
Genji warns this area is dangerous
Reinhardt wants to retreat

etc

Why the fuck did we say that D.va sucks after she was nerfed?

The half that she can nullify most offensive ults, means she will always be good.

Granted without her dm, she's pretty butt. I don't know how they can nerf it.

Took a couple nights off comp.

First 2 games are KOTH and both crushing defeats.

Solo Ana healer first game with me solo tank. 0-3

Symmetra second game putting Teleporters right outside the point. 0-3

Shit is fucking twilight zone.

randome

Putting teleporters near the point isn't always bad imo. Sometimes you need to set a teleporter down quick or they're gonna find the teleporter anyway and/or the most obvious place is the last place some teams look or if your team is near the point constantly it works well or close to the point is hard for pharahs to hit. Idk. But I feel ya.

Holy shit dude!

I once saved up to 9 back when you leveled fast after hitting 100...I couldn't even make it to 10.

Back before my kids starting playing, I would save boxes for them to open (they then started playing and I have to buy boxes for them every event). I got up to 20 or so before letting them open them (I'm not big on cosmetics, even though I have the New Year skins for my 3 mains- Zen, DVa, and Winston).

Opening boxes in Overwatch is a truly amazing experience. For children, at least.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Back before my kids starting playing, I would save boxes for them to open (they then started playing and I have to buy boxes for them every event). I got up to 20 or so before letting them open them (I'm not big on cosmetics, even though I have the New Year skins for my 3 mains- Zen, DVa, and Winston).

Opening boxes in Overwatch is a truly amazing experience. For children, at least.

Get em hooked while they're young
🤑

Afro

Getting past 3k SR going in solo seems unfathomable to me. Is it possible? I'm pretty much on the voting screen in 90% of my matches w/ my 1-trick Zen yet pretty much hover just under 3k..indefinitely.

Do most Master/GM dudes party up?

Top Bottom