• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Anne

I've started to pick up Widow a bit since I think she's pretty good right now. I'm started to get convinced that a lot of people who think she sucks just don't know how to play with one on the team. It's like nobody knows what to do when a pick happens lol

Redmoon

Finally got to the point to where I think I can play without the pain bothering me.

And then the game devolved into having a garbage static meta of like 7 hero's while I was away.

I do hope diamond and below isnt following this for the majority. Else I'd probably just sit this one out :/

Where im at in platinum 276X i dont see triple tanks much at all. Its always a duo between dva roadhog and rein. Sometimes you see Zarya but not much.

Still seing so much dva is a pain even though shes alot of fun to play.

ISOM

Finally got to the point to where I think I can play without the pain bothering me.

And then the game devolved into having a garbage static meta of like 7 hero's while I was away.

I do hope diamond and below isnt following this for the majority. Else I'd probably just sit this one out :/

I'm at 3200 and triple tank gets used a lot but 2/2/2 still dominates, so you should be good if that's what you prefer.

Skii

I've started to pick up Widow a bit since I think she's pretty good right now. I'm started to get convinced that a lot of people who think she sucks just don't know how to play with one on the team. It's like nobody knows what to do when a pick happens lol

A good Widow absolutely owns at lower ranks. On Kings Row attack, our team would instantly lose 3 players every attack because of Widow. Not once did they think "maybe we should fight out of LOS whilst our Dva (me) gets rid of the Widow". I killed her twice but by each time she had taken out 3 people in our attack.

Ugh, started tonight at 2705, got as high as 2780, then dropped to 2679 by the end of the night. Oh well, just gotta keep working on getting better

I agree. I've started playing Widow some and you have to get at least 2-3 picks before the team will go in. Even if you get 4+ on multiple pushes, the second they start to wipe they will tell you to swap whether it's your fault or not. I generally use her on first point Payload/Hybrid and then swap if I'm not getting any kills within the first minute or swap on my first death after securing some picks. At lower elo, I don't think this is exclusive to Widow. Some people just don't know that you should push when you have team advantage.

I've been performing generally better in all areas this season compared to last season but my win rate has been abysmal in solo queue this season. From 2800s to 2500. I played this weekend for fun (I knew I would lose rank) and dropped into the 2400s and triple tank is surprisingly pretty common. The bad thing is that people don't know why triple tank works or why it's effective and tanks and supports at that elo tend to be really bad. I see triple tank with Lucio and Zenyatta pretty often and a lot of triple tank comps without Rein. It's been interesting to say the least.

Why is there ALWAYS a fucking terrible junkrat main who doesn't switch when the enemy has a Pharah? If I could ban one hero from comp it'd be him. Every fucking match there's one, swear to god.

AbaFadi

Banned

Yeah the concept of getting a pick is a mystery to a lot of players, especially tanks who like to just sit at the choke-point instead of pushing in after a pick.

Blues1990

Why is there ALWAYS a fucking terrible junkrat main who doesn't switch when the enemy has a Pharah? If I could ban one hero from comp it'd be him. Every fucking match there's one, swear to god.

Before her buffs, a competent Junkrat player could blow Pharah out of the sky. But with how long she can stay airborne now, along with her increased elevation, it's a hell of a lot harder for even the best to take her out.

EDIT: Swiggity swooty, I'm boopin' dat booty.

178567e75e9041c5920522dc5d2b4cdc.png

2asCXJD.png

Skii

I once had someone who played Junkrat for an entire 5 rounds on KOTH against Pharah, Soldier, Zarya and Dva. We tried to tell him that all their DPS and tanks directly counter Junkrat but he just wouldn't listen. He kept mentioning that he had gold in damage and was carrying us...

We obviously lost in the end but my team did well for a 5v6 against a team who was getting support ults constantly fed to them.

Water

I think a really good widow is always good (on defense). Problem is most widows are terrible.

I think I've watched map recommendations from Teenage and Kephrii, and from what I can remember, they considered Widow a viable pick almost solely on attack & on specific maps, and would rarely pick her on defense. And they are considered some of the best Widow players around.

They didn't say why, but intuitively that makes sense to me on multiple levels. On attack the opponents have to kind of stay put, so you can approach to your preferred range and look for kills for larger portion of the match. Defenders have a hard time flanking / surprising an attacking Widow without overextending. Defending Widow has less time to look for kills because attackers don't need to show themselves much before they actually push, and the defending Widow is also more of a sitting duck as soon as the attackers aren't in a choke and will come from multiple directions.

And in the big picture, Widow's power is in swinging the flow of the game through good picks, but that happens somewhat opportunistically. You can't guarantee getting those kills at any specific moment, and you can't really get them in many areas of the map, but on attack you can wait to find the kill and then push. On defense you don't get to set your own timetable, and Widow can't consistently & reliably buy time or push enemies off an objective without coming so close that she is super vulnerable.

Drek

I don't know anyone else who plays this game, so it's solo queue or nothing. Never mind that grouping up didn't do anything to halt my freefall in season 1.

UPDATE: LET'S SEE IF I CAN DROP ALL THE WAY TO 1000 TONIGHT. New plan is to embrace the fact that I am shit and will always be shit forever.
Send me a friend request if you want to group up,
Drek717
I'm at 1864, was getting slaughtered after placements (placed 1822, dropped as low as 1641) but have rallied back while solo queue thanks to improving my own play. Big thing was placement and finding ways to be self sufficient but help the team. For example I stopped picking characters based on the overall comp meta, so no taking characters I don't feel are my higher end options (Hog, Soldier, Zenyatta, D.Va, Lucio in that order, not a horrible Widow and can scrub carry with Torb in Silver like no one else when I get desperate for a win).

I'm playing almost nothing but Mei, Zarya, Rein, Genji in QP and 3v3 when I'm not in comp to broaden my base. I'm most comfortable in a tank role and so want to ultimately be comp worthy in all tanks then at least two of each other group for flexibility.

Check out Oversumo, I was blaming bad teams, elo hell, and bad aim on my part until I started tracking my per life play on there. Turns out I'm a damn good shot (plat to master aim on almost every character I'm ok with) but throw lives away due to poor positioning, getting out of sync with my team on respawn, and unwitting dives/taking on bad matchups I shouldn't. Gotten a lot better since recognizing that alone.

Blues1990

Huh... even a 4 tank setup in higher level comp games get wins pretty consistently. This tank meta is so ridiculous lol

I think Blizzard really needs to work on getting Ana to a better place. Because as long as she is both the best burst healer (and best anti-healer) in the game, she'll be a top pick forever.

Coupled with Lucio's speed boost & D.Va getting puffed up like a balloon, Reaper is less effective at removing tanks than he used to be.

Rizzi

Same. If I get literally 2 kills in a row with her, i feel like i deserve the POTG lol.
Every time I actually killed anyone with her:
"Holy shit I got a headshot! Guys did you see? I did the thing!"
Everyone else playing sniper seem to be able to murder my whole team with zero effort though. x_x

I heard some people talk about giving Zen scalable discord orb effects tied to the enemies health. The more hp you have like for tanks the bigger the discord effect like going back to pre nerf 50%.

bjork

Dudes yelling at me in chat and I'm sitting here not even knowing how to chat in a game.

I only played competitive isketch ever before this :(

Sunday afternoon comp matches: not even once. 5 horrible matches in a row with people just playing awfully and/or not giving a shit about team comp. I'll wait until the kids are in bed.

Highlight was a dude playing Winston, constantly diving the enemies backlines and dying, and then complaining he wasn't getting healed (I was playing Ana). Like, what do you expect dude.

Gotta love when healer goes dps, or Widow specifically after a round.

I do this when people die so often that healing doesn't even matter, and usually it's to a specific hero and they don't change to counter that hero.
Like for instance you have your team constantly get destroyed by this flanking Genji, and me often playing support, I usually am the first to go down too, and then he stomps all over the rest of the team unopposed. So I grow tired of nobody giving a shit about protecting the support and swap over to Winston.

ISOM

I do this when people die so often that healing doesn't even matter, and usually it's to a specific hero and they don't change to counter that hero.
Like for instance you have your team constantly get destroyed by this flanking Genji, and me often playing support, I usually am the first to go down too, and then he stomps all over the rest of the team unopposed. So I grow tired of nobody giving a shit about protecting the support and swap over to Winston.

I'm mostly referring to like after a good round where your team dominated or just won plainly and then people decide hmm that has been working well let's switch it up. I don't mind role switchups if things aren't going well.

I'm mostly referring to like after a good round where your team dominated or just won plainly and then people decide hmm that has been working well let's switch it up. I don't mind role switchups if things aren't going well.

Fair enough.
If things go well, I tend to stick to the role I was playing.

Sullichin

Put into a game and this dude on mic immediately asks if there's any "angry girls" on his team. I surmised that a woman said something undesirable to his ears last game. He goes on insulting her (when she's, as far as I can tell, not even in this match) before eventually moving the focus of his disdain toward our team.

..Is there a way to mute individual players after the match has started?

Put into a game and this dude on mic immediately asks if there's any "angry girls" on his team. I surmised that a woman said something undesirable to his ears last game. He goes on insulting her (when she's, as far as I can tell, not even in this match) before eventually moving the focus of his disdain toward our team.

Go to the menu, Social, Groups and there you can mute individual players.

Moonkeis

Under social you can.

ohkay

Social, group, click the speaker icon next to their name

Gurrry

I havent won a game in 4 days. I cant even bare to try playing competitive because I just know I wont win.

Its gotten so bad that ive started playing more Paladins than overwatch... lol

Dear assholes: if you think I'm not doing a good enough job as a healer, then fucking just ask to play healer. Don't fucking yell at me in chat with your friends and talk about how shit I am and how I shouldn't play important roles and then post sarcastic comments about butthurt healers that mute voice. Maybe go fuck yourselves instead.

Congratulations. I'm not that great at the game. Guess what? You're stuck with me in low silver so you're not that fucking great either. God, fuck this game so hard.

ISOM

Dear assholes: if you think I'm not doing a good enough job as a healer, then fucking just ask to play healer. Don't fucking yell at me in chat with your friends and talk about how shit I am and how I shouldn't play important roles and then post sarcastic comments about butthurt healers that mute voice. Maybe go fuck yourselves instead.

Congratulations. I'm not that great at the game. Guess what? You're stuck with me in low silver so you're not that fucking great either. God, fuck this game so hard.

Man I had to quit a ranked game because one guy kept saying how Zen is a shit healer when combined with Lucio. These people don't want to play healer and have no idea what the hell they are talking about. Like fuck that guy Zen is perfectly fine as a healer. And this is at Diamond rank as well. I quit that match because I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of me switching to dps when someone else on the team decided to switch to Ana. I was just willing to take the loss points and match ban just so that he doesn't get the satisfaction of thinking he's right.

Gurrry

We need the group option like yesterday... It cant get here soon enough. On the extremely rare occasion (im talking like Taraus pokemon blue rare) I find a group that isnt completely toxic, I want to keep them forever.

But lately, I have experiences like you where everyone is an asshole, refuse to play within the meta and pick things like torb or sym on attack and start throwing games.

Man I had to quit a ranked game because one guy kept saying how Zen is a shit healer when combined with Lucio. These people don't want to play healer and have no idea what the hell they are talking about. Like fuck that guy Zen is perfectly fine as a healer. And this is at Diamond rank as well. I quit that match because I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of me switching to dps when someone else on the team decided to switch to Ana. I was just willing to take the loss points and match ban just so that he doesn't get the satisfaction of thinking he's right.

I should've just quit that match. The worst part was how they were all complaining about how I didn't switch off so they could heal. MAYBE FUCKING ASK ME BEFORE YOU YELL AT ME ABOUT IT.

So fuck it. I don't play Overwatch anymore. If those guys are reading this, mission accomplished. Good job.

Top Bottom