• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

matmanx1

I dunno about the whole lock your main in solo queue that seems to be so common. What has been working for me right now is to just fill whatever role is missing on our team comp. From what I'm seeing, locking your main works fine as long as your team picks based around that, but things just go shitty when everyone tries to do the same because 1.) it tilts them and 2.) usually brings too many dps.

I just try to believe everyone is capable of winning and avoid telling them to switch. The opposite tends to bring toxicity out of people and that's when things get desperate.

I've been having success by filling in the gaps, so to speak, just like you are suggesting. This works a lot of the time but is by no means foolproof. Some teams are just beyond saving.

But on a decent team that just might be missing a crucial piece being willing to play that role can make all the difference. For me lately, that role seems to be "initiation". Looking back over my Overwatch experience I can clearly see that in many groups of randoms, initiation is often a problem for a team that is on attack.

Folks might know what to do but no one seems to want to make the first move and get everyone started. Or if they do make the first move it's just to run into a 1 v 5 situation and die immediately. Smart initiation gets everyone on the same page and then makes an opening so that your team is put in an advantageous attack situation.

The Overwatch coach Skyline says that after making sure your team has enough damage, initiation is the second most important component for a healthy team composition. I've linked his channel again because he does such a good job explaining it but if you've ever been on a team that just stood at the choke and poked all match or just trickled in and died over and over then you've been a victim of a team with bad initiation.

Props here to Winston who's an amazing initiator but he is by no means the only way to initiate. I just happen to really, really like his play style.

Skii

Played my first game after placements and it was really close but we lost. I lose 80 SR points. How is that even remotely fair? I've never lost more than 30 before.

Mupod

caved in and spent 10 bucks. Got Witch Mercy. No regrets.

I rarely play Mercy but jesus christ that costume.

Holy shit I just encountered the most toxic player I've ever seen in this game.

He played a Zarya kept insulting our healer for not healing him even though HE ONLY LOST LIKE 30 HEALTH ! He kept being awful to him and our healer quit. And that Zarya kept insulting him even after leaving.

I changed to Lucio and another changed to Zen just to have more effective heals, he kept insulting both of us for not doing a good !

We won, but we all reported him for being abusive.

as a general rule if anyone is complaining about supports just assume they are garbage.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Played my first game after placements and it was really close but we lost. I lose 80 SR points. How is that even remotely fair? I've never lost more than 30 before.
Were you on a team that was favored by a bunch of points or did you perform really poorly? Both seem to have an increased SR loss attached, last I heard.

Also, even though this is a new-ish thing in PTR, not sure if they implemented it in live, they said that right after placements, there would increased SR gains/losses, to make sure you settle into the proper rank.

Prelude.

Nothing "official" but based on Brawl Changes, the past Summer Games event etc.. its always 4 PM Pacific Time.

Yes.
If you check on the Halloween boxes' store page, it says in various time zones (depending on your region).
https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/overwatch-loot-box-seasonal

4 PM Pacific, Midnight CET, 11 PM GMT
Ok, cool. So I still have the entirety of Nov 1st.

That's a lot. Maybe the first matches try to aggressively adjust your rank?

The thing that's frustrating me the most currently is the fact that a majority of people playing this game don't seem to know there are multiple entry routes to the point on KOTH maps.

Like the enemy team takes the point. And then it's just a non-stop train of idiots running back up the middle and not being able to push anywhere near the point. I will even spam group up as I take the alternate route and people would rather just die over and over in the meat grinder. And the most annoying part is I'll get to the point myself and force the entire enemy team to break their line and come back just to deal with me, but my team just keeps running up the middle and dying!

Skii

Were you on a team that was favored by a bunch of points or did you perform really poorly? Both seem to have an increased SR loss attached, last I heard.

Also, even though this is a new-ish thing in PTR, not sure if they implemented it in live, they said that right after placements, there would increased SR gains/losses, to make sure you settle into the proper rank.

That's a lot. Maybe the first matches try to aggressively adjust your rank?

The team's rankings were about even and I was gold elims and gold damage with Reaper. I know that isn't indicative of a good performance but it makes no sense that I'd lose 80 SR on an extremely close game with me statistically doing my job.

Even if there is aggressive rankings early on, it doesn't explain why I only gained 30 SR as an underdog with the same stats in the next match.

This is total bullshit.

hesido

It may be related to this:
http://masteroverwatch.com/news/72-ptr-upcoming-changes-to-competitive-season-3

Initially it wants to stabilize you into a range so points are lost / gained faster, if I read correctly. I'm assuming the thing going on behind the scenes during placement may be on-going although in a less pronounced way. I could be totally wrong.

Edit: Are you sure you did not accidentally leave the first match a few seconds too early? I once, out of muscle memory, exited an already lost match (game accepting no inputs) just a second before the "defeat" announcement and lost about 90 points.

Cappa

Banned
The thing that's frustrating me the most currently is the fact that a majority of people playing this game don't seem to know there are multiple entry routes to the point on KOTH maps.

Like the enemy team takes the point. And then it's just a non-stop train of idiots running back up the middle and not being able to push anywhere near the point. I will even spam group up as I take the alternate route and people would rather just die over and over in the meat grinder. And the most annoying part is I'll get to the point myself and force the entire enemy team to break their line and come back just to deal with me, but my team just keeps running up the middle and dying!

Its the lemming mentality... same as Dva and Pharah on Volkskaya where they try to sneak up on the left side every single time (here, very rarely its anyone else the ocassional good Tracer uses it)

2KJN2Ml.jpg

and then fall to their death when I put up an ice wall on them

the funny thing is theyll try this at least 2 or 3 times before giving up LOL

Fancolors

From what I understand (nothing official, but observed from multiple trackers), the SR is most volatile at your beginning since your MMR is uncertain of where you should be. So expect some crazy gains/losses until the system has enough data to better evaluate where you belong. Personally, I began this season 2300-ish and was able to climb to 2500 with matches that would give or take me 40-60 points. After I broke into the 2600s, the system seems to be giving me an average of 20 points consistently for wins.
Keep in mind these are only the last 20 matches and not sufficient data to make a completely accurate picture of how it truly works.

Maybe things will change when Season 3 rolls in, so who knows.

Decided to see what my teammates mains are after a loss.

Apparently the only round we won was when they had their mains. After that it all went downhill. And it went downhill fast when a bastion and attack sym actually do work. (With the sym getting potm)

Why switch what worked?

hesido

Its the lemming mentality... same as Dva and Pharah on Volkskaya where they try to sneak up on the left side every single time (here, very rarely its anyone else the ocassional good Tracer uses it)

2KJN2Ml.jpg

Lol, never thought about it. Will certainly try.

I know I'm a lowly gold PS4 player, but I played with a Symmetra that was on *point* this morning. I'm not sure they died once during the 3 Nepal maps and their turret placement was incredible.

Between their use of her main weapon, zoning with the alt-fire and strategic turrets they were able to turn the room behind Sanctum into a little death factory. I was really impressed.

Rize_21

2KJN2Ml.jpg

When all they have to do is to fly over the roof and let a clueless Mei wondering when she'll pop her ice wall.
This allows to break the first chokepoint in no time, do it guys, it's great!

Weird. In my experience, it's usually Tracer that takes that route. Although, a single Tracer usually doesn't last long when she's the only one on the point.

Skii

It may be related to this:
http://masteroverwatch.com/news/72-ptr-upcoming-changes-to-competitive-season-3

Initially it wants to stabilize you into a range so points are lost / gained faster, if I read correctly. I'm assuming the thing going on behind the scenes during placement may be on-going although in a less pronounced way. I could be totally wrong.

Edit: Are you sure you did not accidentally leave the first match a few seconds too early? I once, out of muscle memory, exited an already lost match (game accepting no inputs) just a second before the "defeat" announcement and lost about 90 points.

Nah I never leave early as I always wait to see how my rank's changed.

From what I understand (nothing official, but observed from multiple trackers), the SR is most volatile at your beginning since your MMR is uncertain of where you should be. So expect some crazy gains/losses until the system has enough data to better evaluate where you belong. Personally, I began this season 2300-ish and was able to climb to 2500 with matches that would give or take me 40-60 points. After I broke into the 2600s, the system seems to be giving me an average of 20 points consistently for wins.
Keep in mind these are only the last 20 matches and not sufficient data to make a completely accurate picture of how it truly works.

Maybe things will change when Season 3 rolls in, so who knows.

Stabilising your SR doesn't make sense because I made back only 30 points with a win straight after. There's no way it only applies to the first game after placements.

xaosslug

huh? Everyone that can uses that side route in my experience. Winston, Reaper, Genji, D.va, Pharah, etc. I've even seen Mei's try and ice wall their way across, before giving up. LOL

if the remaining team at the choke is good enough to survive the split up attack usually works, because the enemy will divert forces from the choke to whatever is on the point and that's when you squeeze 'em. ;)

Oh gosh, having 3 people complain at each other in spanish that they are all doing horrible...

The three people arguing...

Junkrat - bronze damage
Pharah - no damage medal
Winston - gold damage

I swear I usually try to make picks just to complement the team, but I think at this low rank of 2300 I need to just autopick a DPS. Team can't coordinate enough to maximize on a good comp

Fancolors

Stabilising your SR doesn't make sense because I made back only 30 points with a win straight after. There's no way it only applies to the first game after placements.

Shit's crazy, I had losses that took me 30 points followed by wins that gave me double the amount and then losses that took me that and a little more. It doesn't always work and more often than not just frustrates you.

Jblanks

Is today the last day for the event?

Gotta buy Skullyatta before it ends. Also I feel kind of bad because I got the Witch Mercy in a free crate, and I never play here, and never will.

I swear I usually try to make picks just to complement the team, but I think at this low rank of 2300 I need to just autopick a DPS. Team can't coordinate enough to maximize on a good comp

I'm at 2400 ( still :/ ) and I play Zarya, McCree / Reaper, Mei / Junkrat / Winston, and Zenyatta / Lucio.

My main goal is to kill people before they kill my teammates.

Mostly I end up getting Zarya though, which I would consider my "main" at the moment.

I rarely play this game but when I do, I usually play Lucio. Just had a game yesterday where I got 8 "likes" at the end! Really makes ya feel good :)

Sad this event is ending, I really enjoyed every bit of it.

I think I hate Eichenwalde.

Which is a shame because the middle portion is one of the best designed map parts in the game. But the first and last points, ugh.

I-hate-u

Every single Route 66 match has people hiding and contesting the payload on top of the gas station for before the first point. When is shit getting patched? I lost a game because of it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
GGs blue. MM wasn't kind today haha. Last match I probably should have went mei but I was afraid that our team couldn't handle that pharah. Our mccree certainly had trouble with her.

At least we won a hanamura map. I felt like it's the first time I've won hanamura in awhile after some constant draws.

Blues1990

GGs blue. MM wasn't kind today haha. Last match I probably should have went mei but I was afraid that our team couldn't handle that pharah. Our mccree certainly had trouble with her.

At least we won a hanamura map. I felt like it's the first time I've won hanamura in awhile after some constant draws.

Yeah, today was pretty brutal. Thankfully, I will get 800 points after this season is over, in the chance I won't get enough for my unlock. Good games, by the way. :D

Had a teammate who was a genji/mccree main

Ok...lets see what he can do.

Deadeye = DM'd in the face
Dragonblade = dashes right into a symmetra turret room

He went mccree, junkrat, genji. No medals.

It's way too easy for one person to be a deadweight and bring the whole team down...

You ever have a game where your team does really well, but you're basically the punching bag of the enemy team? I swear a video cut of the last match I had could be made to a Three Stooges tune. I died in just about every "wrong place, wrong time" way. Get back to the payload right as a Rip-Tire explodes. Accidentally walk into a Reinhardt charge that takes me off the map. Enemy Zarya misses the rest of my team but gets only me with the Graviton Surge.

I swear it was the worst luck I've ever had - I basically existed only to be a meat shield so the rest of my team could win.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

2KJN2Ml.jpg

I usually use Repear to teleport over there. Helps tremendously.

MastAndo

I certainly don't have the mechanical skills in my old age (nor the time/willingness to improve them) to be super flexible in selecting heroes to round out any composition. I'm thinking, would being somewhat proficient at Zarya, Zenyatta, Roadhog and Reaper (with some Pharah on Ilios Ruins and Route 66, if needed) be enough to have success in this game in solo queue? I've been maining Zarya with some success, but feel next to useless when she's instalocked ahead of me, or a comp has 2 tanks and a healer or two already.

MUnited83

For you.

2KJN2Ml.jpg

Pharah can avoid the ice wall completely :D

Fancolors

You ever have a game where your team does really well, but you're basically the punching bag of the enemy team? I swear a video cut of the last match I had could be made to a Three Stooges tune. I died in just about every "wrong place, wrong time" way. Get back to the payload right as a Rip-Tire explodes. Accidentally walk into a Reinhardt charge that takes me off the map. Enemy Zarya misses the rest of my team but gets only me with the Graviton Surge.

I swear it was the worst luck I've ever had - I basically existed only to be a meat shield so the rest of my team could win.

I had far too many moments as support where I just forgot the basics of positioning. Bad days happen to everyone, sometimes it's your team DPS and sometimes it's you.

My absolute lowest was when I missed a leap to the control point as Winston. My entire team was ready to jump in overtime, they just needed me to trigger it. And I failed.FeelsBadMan

A win is a win right? You died so that they might live!

DevilDog

I certainly don't have the mechanical skills in my old age (nor the time/willingness to improve them) to be super flexible in selecting heroes to round out any composition. I'm thinking, would being somewhat proficient at Zarya, Zenyatta, Roadhog and Reaper (with some Pharah on Ilios Ruins and Route 66, if needed) be enough to have success in this game in solo queue? I've been maining Zarya with some success, but feel next to useless when she's instalocked ahead of me, or a comp has 2 tanks and a healer or two already.

Zarya and Zenyatta and you should be good to go. If they are insta locked tell your team to let you play at least one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom