• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fancolors

I dunno about the whole lock your main in solo queue that seems to be so common. What has been working for me right now is to just fill whatever role is missing on our team comp. From what I'm seeing, locking your main works fine as long as your team picks based around that, but things just go shitty when everyone tries to do the same because 1.) it tilts them and 2.) usually brings too many dps.

I just try to believe everyone is capable of winning and avoid telling them to switch. The opposite tends to bring toxicity out of people and that's when things get desperate.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I started doing this because people feel offended by doing this. I like it. I like it even more after 1 vs 1 with pistol Dva.

Although rare, the funniest thing to either see or do, is have a Mercy 1v1 a DPS with her pistol, win, then start teabagging. Really good stuff.

joanot

60 loot boxes later... I have gotten pretty much everything, only missing Skullyatta, Dr. Junkenstein, Demon Hanzo & Tombstone Bastion skins.

I just prestiged so I'll try to grab some quick loot boxes tonight.

Cappa

Banned
I dunno about the whole lock your main in solo queue that seems to be so common. What has been working for me right now is to just fill whatever role is missing on our team comp. From what I'm seeing, locking your main works fine as long as your team picks based around that, but things just go shitty when everyone tries to do the same because 1.) it tilts them and 2.) usually brings too many dps.

I just try to believe everyone is capable of winning and avoid telling them to switch. The opposite tends to bring toxicity out of people and that's when things get desperate.

I tried the whole filling whatever was needed role and ended up on a losing streak that saw me dropping into the 1900s. I started maining Dva and Symmetra and got back into the 2500s. Then I dropped again to the 2300s, so then I tried maining Mei and Ive found that Mei complements well a whole array of team picks and Im now in the 2600s and climbing.

Of course, whatever works best. Also, I think people try to hard to follow the meta in non-pro play and its pretty silly. Ive been on teams that the hero pick seems like a complete disaster(if were going by the meta) and we go on to completely destroy the other team who has followed the meta to a t or vice versa.

First of all this encourages people to stop playing the game, which is unacceptable.
Second, you're still gonna buy loot boxes.

I'm not denying this is in response to a problem. But a problematic solution is still a problem.

This current proposed solution would be fine if they gave people free lootboxes upon prestiging.

Somebody please correct my maths if I'm wrong here, but at the moment, it takes 292,500 XP to reach level 22 (which is when the XP caps). With the new system, it will take 444,000 XP. 444,000 is 150% of 292,500 (well, a tiny bit more actually, but let's round down for the sake of argument, which actually works in Blizzard's favour). So it's entirely reasonable that players should who prestige after this change should receive an additonal 50% of lootboxes between level 1 and 22 to ensure that all players receive the same amount. both before and after the patch.

Basically, give players who prestige 11 lootboxes. Those lootboxes can be converted to event ones (assuming you're in the specified timeframe), therefore removing the incentive for people to stop playing.

hesido

I'm not denying this is in response to a problem. But a problematic solution is still a problem.

This current proposed solution would be fine if they gave people free lootboxes upon prestiging.

Somebody please correct my maths if I'm wrong here, but at the moment, it takes 292,500 XP to reach level 22 (which is when the XP caps). With the new system, it will take 444,000 XP. 444,000 is 150% of 292,500 (well, a tiny bit more actually, but let's round down for the sake of argument, which actually works in Blizzard's favour). So it's entirely reasonable that players should who prestige after this change should receive an additonal 50% of lootboxes between level 1 and 22 to ensure that all players receive the same amount. both before and after the patch.

Basically, give players who prestige 11 lootboxes. Those lootboxes can be converted to event ones (assuming you're in the specified timeframe), therefore removing the incentive for people to stop playing.

The consumer friendly solution to "people stopping playing" problem would be to de-couple the event loot box earning from level up points so everybody would start getting lootboxes faster at the beginning of the event (for example, a level up could give you 2-3 lootboxes at the beginning and slow down later on, regardless of your level.)

But of course they wouldn't do that, and make everybody evenly slower throughout.

I had actually liked the design, it gave prestige a different motivation. Now it won't be there. Giving up this design just for a few people stopping to play the game might have adverse effects without Blizzard gaining much from this change.

Mush

How long have we got left for this event? I just bought a bunch of boxes and still didn't get Roadhog's skin (or any new Halloween skins for that matter), but I did however get Mei's highlight intro so I'm happy with that.

Cappa

Banned
How long have we got left for this event? I just bought a bunch of boxes and still didn't get Roadhog's skin (or any new Halloween skins for that matter), but I did however get Mei's highlight intro so I'm happy with that.

It ends tomorrow November 1st at 4PM Pacific Time, so 7 PM Eastern and 12am Central European Standard time (which would actually be November 2nd).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel like I keep running into these groups of grouped up diamond players, who fell like 1000 sr to the very low golds, and then just played... weirdly. Doesn't feel like they're intentionally throwing the game, but I had a diamond ana nanoboost my mei like twice when we had a soldier and reinhardt on our team. And then she would nanoboost the hanzo in her group.

Won the match, but everything felt... off.

Blues1990

I feel like I keep running into these groups of grouped up diamond players, who fell like 1000 sr to the very low golds, and then just played... weirdly. Doesn't feel like they're intentionally throwing the game, but I had a diamond ana nanoboost my mei like twice when we had a soldier and reinhardt on our team. And then she would nanoboost the hanzo in her group.

Won the match, but everything felt... off.

When I was playing Roadhog, our Ana would always power me up, despite the fact that her ult works best with Roadhog's. It was starting to annoy me that she kept firing that stupid dart, especially when there were no enemies around.

Just to piss that player off, I just used Roadhog's sitting emote when I was ever powered up.

Fancolors

I tried the whole filling whatever was needed role and ended up on a losing streak that saw me dropping into the 1900s. I started maining Dva and Symmetra and got back into the 2500s. Then I dropped again to the 2300s, so then I tried maining Mei and Ive found that Mei complements well a whole array of team picks and Im now in the 2600s and climbing.

Of course, whatever works best. Also, I think people try to hard to follow the meta in non-pro play and its pretty silly. Ive been on teams that the hero pick seems like a complete disaster(if were going by the meta) and we go on to completely destroy the other team who has followed the meta to a t or vice versa.
Yeah, usually what happens is that people who are not comfortable with certain heroes pick them for the sake of meta. I would rather have an offensive Junkrat than pressuring them to be a bad Rein.

Antiwhippy

When I was playing Roadhog, our Ana would always power me up, despite the fact that her ult works best with Roadhog's. It was starting to annoy me that she kept firing that stupid dart, especially when there were no enemies around.

Just to piss that player off, I just used Roadhog's sitting emote when I was ever powered up.

I mean she nanoboosted me when there were enemies around, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't running in front of her, and I did get a few kills.

PatjuhR

I thought it would be easy to get the trophy where I have to got my teammates all armored up at the same time. Turns out it isn't. People aren't even bottered to pick up armor packs.

And people keep losing them, which is totally fine because it's part of the game, but annoying for me lol.

So I guess the best way to do it is with 5 randoms (I almost always play alone) and hope for a Widowmaker or something that the enemy doesn't take care of and wait till I can give the other 4 one at the same time? Seems the best tactic for me.

Antiwhippy

Speaking of teabagging from earlier.

I slept dart a sym who was sneaking behind us trying to microwave me, teabagged, and then killed her.

I felt like I deserved it.

Antiwhippy

I feel like once you hit a winning streak blizzard matches you with people who don't play support at all.

Because they know you had it too good.

It'll be locked. That was the case for the Summer Games. So spend your coins on Halloween stuff before the event ends tomorrow.

I just did this to be safe. Bought a couple of packs and ended up spending coins on the Reaper, Zen & Ana skins. I'd already earned Hanzo, Bastion, Widow & Junk so I *think* the only ones I missed out on are Hog & Pharah, neither of whom I spend much time with.

Time to start hoarding coins until the Christmas event....

Mutombo

So, big question. We've all been in those solo q situations where you find you're doing the right thing in the wrong role. You're probably a tank getting gold in kills, or a healer getting gold in kills, or you're a healer or a tank and you find that your team is in need of a healer or a tank, respectively, but once you leave your role your team misses a healer or a tank, respectively.

What do you do in those situations? If a Genji is wrecking your team and nobody switches to a Winston? Or nobody goes Pharah when you obviously need one to break their blockade?

I've made good switches and spammed "i need a healer", and people listened, and we started winning. I've also changed and nothing happened and we still lost big time.

This is why playing with just one more friend is often a good thing. But if you're on solo, what does one do?

You know im gonna miss halloween hollywood.
I love the nightime. I wish blizzard would add night variants to maps but i know lighting is a tricky business is a game like this and small changes can be big.

So, big question. We've all been in those solo q situations where you find you're doing the right thing in the wrong role. You're probably a tank getting gold in kills, or a healer getting gold in kills, or you're a healer or a tank and you find that your team is in need of a healer or a tank, respectively, but once you leave your role your team misses a healer or a tank, respectively.

What do you do in those situations? If a Genji is wrecking your team and nobody switches to a Winston? Or nobody goes Pharah when you obviously need one to break their blockade?

I've made good switches and spammed "i need a healer", and people listened, and we started winning. I've also changed and nothing happened and we still lost big time.

This is why playing with just one more friend is often a good thing. But if you're on solo, what does one do?

I think you're already doing what you can. Aside from hopping on mic and asking people to support a new comp there isn't much you can do.

I mostly solo queue, and I'm pretty guilty of insta-locking Zarya and Lucio depending on the maps....I may try to hold off and help support the comp each time, as recommended above.

DevilDog

But if they do that they won't get that sweet seasonal event money,as everyone said in the past 2 pages.

Antiwhippy

Just had one guy who would not shut up about our pharah player who did just fine.

Luckily it fueled that pharah player with righteous anger and we won the match after 5 sets.

The guy going off wasn't bad either, but god, some people. Funnily enough it felt like he was playing really random as a way to troll the pharah at first but immediately went full try hard when he realised we had a chance to win.

Tried my best just calming everyone down.

Just had one guy who would not shut up about our pharah player who did just fine.

Luckily it fueled that pharah player with righteous anger and we won the match after 5 sets.

The guy going off wasn't bad either, but god, some people. Funnily enough it felt like he was playing really random as a way to troll the pharah at first but immediately went full try hard when he realised we had a chance to win.

Tried my best just calming everyone down.

Whippy the Mediator.

Antiwhippy

Seriously though, I felt like I kinda had a relatively toxic free overwatch existance up till now, and all that karma just built up and released over the weekend.

Fancolors

Just focus on your own plays and try to do better next time. It's probably your team's fault, but there's no point worrying about that. I mean, losses are supposed to happen eventually and there's always another match. If there are specific players you want to avoid getting queued with, take a five minute break.

I recommend taking a break and playing Paladins or something if you are in a losing streak.

Cappa

Banned
What do you do in those situations?

cry.

950.jpg_large

Azoor

Holy shit I just encountered the most toxic player I've ever seen in this game.

He played a Zarya kept insulting our healer for not healing him even though HE ONLY LOST LIKE 30 HEALTH ! He kept being awful to him and our healer quit. And that Zarya kept insulting him even after leaving.

I changed to Lucio and another changed to Zen just to have more effective heals, he kept insulting both of us for not doing a good !

We won, but we all reported him for being abusive.

Antiwhippy

I don't understand people who would change up a winning formula.

And not go back to that winning formula when we start losing because of the change.

Blues1990

He played a Zarya kept insulting our healer for not healing him even though HE ONLY LOST LIKE 30 HEALTH ! He kept being awful to him and our healer quit. And that Zarya kept insulting him even after leaving.

I changed to Lucio and another changed to Zen just to have more effective heals, he kept insulting both of us for not doing a good !

Yeah, it isn't fun playing a support hero when you have those types of players complaining about every little thing. It's a good thing that I play Competitive Mode with people I know that I can have a good time with, because holy shit, I wouldn't be able to tolerate that douche lord.

Antiwhippy

Weird.

Are you australian?

Had a zarya player who was doing that to me not too long ago.

I don't understand people who would change up a winning formula.

And not go back to that winning formula when we start losing because of the change.

I once played competitive with some lower-level players that I didn't know all that well, and the party leader suggested that our Tracer (who was doing quite well) switch to Mei. This was on Numbani attack, and for some reason, he did.

Obviously, we lost.

I don't play competitive with anyone other than my usual group anymore.

Antiwhippy

I once played competitive with some lower-level players that I didn't know all that well, and the party leader suggested that our Tracer (who was doing quite well) switch to Mei. This was on Numbani attack, and for some reason, he did.

Obviously, we lost.

I don't play competitive with anyone other than my usual group anymore.

Numbani is actually one of my favourite maps to play attack mei, but yeah, if someone is doing good leave them alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom