• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalflame

Do any of you solo queue comp? If so, how do you manage it without obscene losing streaks? It feels like a black hole.

Pretty much exclusively nowadays, unless I am duo queuing with someone I know is a great healer. Every time I decide to 3-6 man I regret it.

Just be really good at tanks.

PatjuhR

I never played comp together with anyone. There is this group of people who all sent me a friend invite after I had my best D.VA game ever. I've never played with them because I know I'll disappoint them.

But I never really had a losing streak of more than 3 if I remember right.

Danj

I know there's the regular GAF OW friends list doc thingy, but is there a comp-specific LFG thing, where people could post their SRs and regions and find 1 or 2 people in range that they could group up with?

Or is no-one anywhere near me in rank :(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Gotta love when you see this in your group
image2ciubk.jpg

maomaoIYP

Gotta love when you see this in your group
https://abload.de/img/image2ciubk.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

He might be really really good? I would rather have a team mate that plays mostly 1 character very very well instead of a team mate that keeps swapping but sucks with every one of them.

Blues1990

I had the worst game imaginable. No matter what I did (switching counters, staying behind, etc.), this Korean Roadhog player did not want me to do anything.

JoeNut

3 games into the competitve placement games, 2 wins one loss, the 2nd win was awesome, we just totally out played the other team.

Roadhog is my main and by a long way now, i've got pretty damn good with the hook and it just destroys any DPS so quickly

DevilDog

FAV: Torb, Symmetra, Ana
BEST: Soldier, Mei, Bastion
MOST PLAYED: Lucio, Mercy, Soldier

Damn my sense of responsibility.

FAV: Genji, genji, genji
BEST: genji, genji, genji
MOST PLAYED: genji,genji,genji

Sometimes I wonder what I would do if genji was nerfed to the ground.

Skii

Just went 51-9 with Reaper on Numbani and we lost. I just fucking hate competitive so much. I was carrying this absolutely awful team the entire match but not a single one of them could stay alive long enough to prevent them from pushing. Literally every time I had to get 4-5 of them before dying and then my team would still lose a 4/5v2 situation. It was just embarrassingly bad.

LiK

Fighting in a 4-6 man unless you know everyone is flawless is way too much stress. Fuck that shit.

6-man teams aren't fun unless everyone has a main they stick with and you can rely on for specific tactics. when people just chooses whatever, i'm always afraid it might go downhill.

Azoor

6-man teams aren't fun unless everyone has a main they stick with and you can rely on for specific tactics. when people just chooses whatever, i'm always afraid it might go downhill.

Believe it or not, I once was on a team that struggled to fight a 4 man team. They kept movie the payload until we managed to stop them before they could deliver it.

6 Man Teams are so difficult.

Mostly because everyone knows they'll have to fill a role yet they don't want to speak up about what they can play well.

2-3 man teams are the best for climbing. Once we got a 4 man team yesterday, it all fell apart. Went like 4-2 in comp games, and only lost when one of our group disconnected like 4 times in one match due to his dog bothering him so much.

Not sure if I'm going to play with that guy again, he invited a player who really wasn't that great and then he kept going for odd picks Torbjorn on Ilios, etc. Because he didn't want to play support.

I mean, I understand if you want someone else to support but when I have gold in four categories as Zenyatta and you can't even keep a turret up on well, then maybe you're making this too difficult.

That group seems to just add people they won games with and they hope for the best. It's fine when it's one or two other people but any more than that and there's communication issues.

LiK

yea, which is why i always tell people who i main. i will always pick Junk or D.va and Soldier now depending on what is going on. If you take my hero, you better damn well be good with them or switch if it's not working out.

komaruR

i wouldn't recommend 6man unless its plat and below tier. Diamond and above groups are quite good. And if 6man, you need to have atleast 2 or 3 players that are good , while the rest are average. ie, 2 diamond, the rest is mostly gold rank SR or a fallen plat so that the SR will skew lower to the 2500s. I played a couple 6man matches and watches a few on stream in the 2500s. Probably like 1 out of 5 match you will find a group that will try coordinate ults together but when they don't got ult, they're just average. ie, no seagull-like player trying to harass your healers or backline etc.

That makes 10 consecutive L's. Playing solo, playing with a team, doesn't seem to matter; competitive is determined that I will NOT be allowed to win. Dropped below 2k... I'm scared, GAF. I don't want to see how Silver players play.

Mostly because everyone knows they'll have to fill a role yet they don't want to speak up about what they can play well.

2-3 man teams are the best for climbing. Once we got a 4 man team yesterday, it all fell apart. Went like 4-2 in comp games, and only lost when one of our group disconnected like 4 times in one match due to his dog bothering him so much.

Not sure if I'm going to play with that guy again, he invited a player who really wasn't that great and then he kept going for odd picks Torbjorn on Ilios, etc. Because he didn't want to play support.

I mean, I understand if you want someone else to support but when I have gold in four categories as Zenyatta and you can't even keep a turret up on well, then maybe you're making this too difficult.

That group seems to just add people they won games with and they hope for the best. It's fine when it's one or two other people but any more than that and there's communication issues.

Torb is like Bastion on KOTH, in that I've seen the pick work, but most of the time it doesn't.

And even when it does, you have to be ready to switch off quickly and not fall victim to respawning because you're "so close to an ult." The second your team loses the advantage, you'll never get a turret set up in an effective place again.

That makes 10 consecutive L's. Playing solo, playing with a team, doesn't seem to matter; competitive is determined that I will NOT be allowed to win. Dropped below 2k... I'm scared, GAF. I don't want to see how Silver players play.

Who do you play as, mostly?

ISOM

I was with a 6 man group the other day because a bunch of us randoms dominated a match so completely that everyone wanted to group up. Then we dominated as a group and I rose like 200 points.

caesar

Banned

Well, you're one of them now so.. :p

Torb is like Bastion on KOTH, in that I've seen the pick work, but most of the time it doesn't.

And even when it does, you have to be ready to switch off quickly and not fall victim to respawning because you're "so close to an ult." The second your team loses the advantage, you'll never get a turret set up in an effective place again.

Who do you play as, mostly?

Zarya, Reinhardt, Lucio, Mercy are generally who I go to. I'm not much good with the offensive characters. I do okay with all of the above.

Well, you're one of them now so.. :p

that's harsh bro

Zarya, Reinhardt, Lucio, Mercy are generally who I go to. I'm not much good with the offensive characters. I do okay with all of the above.

Think you're in the same boat as me as far as competitive: with those picks you're gambling on your teammates to be the main DPS, while you do your best to support by shielding/healing them. Works great when your teammates are good at killing enemies, but when not... there's probably nothing you can do to fix it.

After my own drop from the 2500's to the 1900's, I've pretty much gone back to just playing QP when I play. A lot less stressful, and I get a better chance of having decent teammates from the random matchmaking than I do from playing with Silvers.

matmanx1

People who play Symmetra on 2nd point Anubis. Why though?

Symm can be good there. Place TP in the hallway in the back and you've still cut the travel time to the point in half. Place turrets to guard it or make a microwave room over on the hallway in the right. She's not my favorite pick anymore but she can be rather rude to groups who aren't prepared to deal with her.

Went from 2488 (one win from Platinum) to 2369 in one fell swoop tonight. I'm not even sure why I play this game anymore. I said I was going to take a break from it last night and didn't take my own advice and now I'm just upset. I got 2-3 golds nearly every match (and not like 6 kill golds either), and it didn't matter who I was teamed with or what kind of map it was. Loss, loss, loss, loss.

Literally every time I've gotten close to Platinum I go on a losing streak. Every time I hit 50% win percentage, I go on a losing streak. I'm not bad at this game, I'm not pro either, but I'm competent and know basic strategy. I have main characters I use. I get on mic when there are other people on mic. I'm really, really frustrated right now.

I'm taking Overwatch out of my PS4 and shelving it until the Halloween event or Sombra comes out or whatever next thing they do because I have to for my own sanity. When you stop having fun with a game you need to step away, I think, and I was not having fun tonight.

Do what I do and go back to QP for a while. I haven't played Comp in over a week, partly because I have been really busy but also just for a break from the stress. OW is supposed to be fun, right? If it starts to feel stressful and makes me mad then I have a problem. QP over the past few days has actually been really fun and I've been able to do some things with heroes that I don't normally play. I'll get back to Comp eventually but right now QP is where it's at for me.

Do any of you solo queue comp? If so, how do you manage it without obscene losing streaks? It feels like a black hole.

Well, I had kinda set a schedule of 2 to 3 Comp games a night no matter what happens. I did go on a pretty big loosing streak and am currently about 200 points below where I placed. I try not to worry too much about my SR. I really have no control over the amount of SR gain or loss so I just try to do my best and keep having fun.

I know there's the regular GAF OW friends list doc thingy, but is there a comp-specific LFG thing, where people could post their SRs and regions and find 1 or 2 people in range that they could group up with?

Or is no-one anywhere near me in rank :(

I'm close enough in rank to group with you but I'm US region and my play time has been pretty sporadic lately. If I can string a solid hour together of matches here lately then that is a pretty big achievement. Feel free to add me though and we'll see if we can ever get together (if you can play US region) - Matmanx1#1920

I honestly can't tell that much difference between high silver and low gold. I started out low gold and am now below 2k also. Some matches people seem to know their stuff and do really well and other matches it just seems to be complete brain death. I keep harping on this but all you can really do is focus on playing the best you can while encouraging your team mates to do their best via communication and call outs. After that, the chips will fall where they may.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
1 guy disconnected when we were clearly winning.

Everyone but me then leaves because it was a match that we could have won without that guy disconnecting.

That's enough overwatch for today.

Prelude.

Did anyone that's not from Asia/Australia get the loot boxes?

1 guy disconnected when we were clearly winning.

Everyone but me then leaves because it was a match that we could have won without that guy disconnecting.

That's enough overwatch for today.
Did you ask for easy achievements?

KyleCross

Has Blizzard said anything in regards to a Halloween event? I'm really sick of not being able to play cause I'm a few games from promotion, I just hope I'm not doing it for nothing and that there actually won't be an event.

Prelude.

Has Blizzard said anything in regards to a Halloween event? I'm really sick of not being able to play cause I'm a few games from promotion, I just hope I'm not doing it for nothing and that there actually won't be an event.
I'm in the same boat, feels bad man.
You'd think that those Oktoberfest/Halloween voice lines mean something, but who knows? The Sombra countdown will end on Oct 17, though.

Blues1990

You'd think that those Oktoberfest/Halloween voice lines mean something, but who knows? The Sombra countdown will end on Oct 17, though.

I don't understand why they are making the countdown such a slow burn. Just reveal the character already!

KyleCross

Oct. 17th is so far tho D: The day before my birthday, don't disappoint me Blizzard.

Danj

I'm close enough in rank to group with you but I'm US region and my play time has been pretty sporadic lately. If I can string a solid hour together of matches here lately then that is a pretty big achievement. Feel free to add me though and we'll see if we can ever get together (if you can play US region) - Matmanx1#1920

Added you, I'm Danj#2393. Thanks!

komaruR

go into comp and leave the game to get the -75% exp, if it works for the within the char picking then go for that since it will disband the match instead of giving the randoms a losing play for leaving after the first 1min. Then you can play with reduced exp gain.

KyleCross

go into comp and leave the game to get the -75% exp, if it works for the within the char picking then go for that since it will disband the match instead of giving the randoms a losing play for leaving after the first 1min. Then you can play with reduced exp gain.
That seems like a pretty assholish thing to do. It's a good idea, but I just dunno.

MastAndo

If I have any interest in improving my rank (I do), would it be advisable to play with my ~2500 SR friend, being at a 2006 SR myself? I mean, the long and short of it is that I think I'm playing pretty well, but after placing at 2160 as a relative newcomer to the game, I'm just losing more games than I'm winning in solo queue and seeing my SR drop, which is disheartening. Then again, my friend started at 2650 or something and has seen his SR drop as well, also solo.

I kind of wish there was some other kind of competitive system to make this, well, less discouraging. I know it's a team game, but perhaps something that acknowledges your individual effort a bit more...I understand that over time, the law of averages will balance out the quality of your own team vs the teams you play, with your play being the one variable, but that could very well be after more games than I'm capable of playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom